First Love

The Girls of Summer

It was the kind of easy breezy day where the girls didn't want to do much of anything but lay around, talking and laughing and being romantic with their girlfriends (well, the ones that were coupled up anyways). Before lunch they had decided to just laze around the cabin but now after eating, the girls wanted fresh air and a view. 

So that was how they easily decided on the ledge they had all visited earlier, the perfect spot for them to just have things easy. Quickly they separated into groups of two, Yeojin and Yerim volunteering to grab everyone snacks from the store (they were young and needed to run around after all), Jungeun and Jinsoul seeking out a spot in the sun, and Heejin and Hyunjin sitting far away from the others, Heejin clinging to Hyunjin like her life depended on it. Among all the girls things were good, better than they had been in a week because the angst of Heejin and Hyunjin and Vivi and Haseul's relationships was over. Finally, they could all relax. 

Hyejoo and Chaewon found a spot for just the two of them further down, cool and in the shade (neither of them were very good with hot weather after all). They both laid down amongst the rocks, releasing simoultaneous sighs of relief when they found a comfortable spot. 

Chaewon looked at Hyejoo. She had thought Hyejoo was beautiful from the moment she first started camp; the first sight of her had taken her breath away. She didn't think it was possible to find her more beautiful until now, with her dark hair and dark clothes and dark earbuds probably playing Taylor Swift, her triangle lips and her much taller frame in loose pajamas. She was so much beautiful to Chaewon because she knew her, that despite her rough facade she was even more beautiful on the inside than the outside. 

Chaewon had crushes before, of course, but she'd never had the kind that absolutely devastated her quite like this. I mean, maybe that was because Chaewon knew what it felt like to kiss her and to see her just about 24/7, but still. This was so different. 

Oh, Chaewon likes her. She likes her so much that she knows she won't ever forget Hyejoo. Camp is over in ten days but even after those days are over, when Chaewon goes back home and back to her real life she won't forget Hyejoo. Even if she can't come back to camp next year (she would never let that happen) she won't forget her. She won't forget her and she won't stop liking her; her crush could never lose its potency. Even if Chaewon tried to forget Hyejoo, to stop liking her, she couldn't. Chaewon knows this. 

But did Hyejoo like her back? Chaewon didn't know. She had never been good at being able to tell when someone liked someone else, especially when it came to herself. She probably didn't. Hyejoo is way too cool for a simple girl like Chaewon. Hyejoo is smart and interesting and good at so many things, and she couldn't like Chaewon back for all of the reasons Chaewon likes her in the first place. If she was going to do it now would be the time, after all camp was over so soon. But she couldn't, and she shouldn't. 

Suddenly, Hyejoo's hair blew over her face, tangling in the wind. A bit got in Chaewon's mouth and she made a face, spitting it out. 

"Sorry," Hyejoo mumbled, not wanting to break the beautiful tranquil silence they had created around them. She gently brushed her hair out of Chaewon's face and tucked it behind her ear, Chaewon growing warm and shaky beneath her. 

"It's okay," Chaewon answered, very quietly. It's always okay." 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Tomorrow's our one week anniversary," Haseul said as she and Vivi leaned against a rock, holding hands. She knew it was a little cringy but yes, Haseul was keeping track. 

Vivi giggled and despite being her girlfriend Haseul still melted at the sound. "I guess it is. It feels like it's been so much longer for some reason." 

"That's camp for you," Haseul answered. 

"We spend so much time together too. Much more than we would have if we started dating back home." 

"True," Haseul mumbled. But she absolutely did not want to think about back home, because that meant leaving Vivi. They lived way too far apart for a visit, at least until they could drive, but neither of them were old enough yet.

"Yeah," Vivi breathed out, clearly feeling the same way. 

"What do you wanna be when you grow up?" Haseul suddenly asked. 

Vivi laughed. "Why do you ask?" 

"Well, partially to stop thinking about leaving camp and partially because I love you and want to know everything about you." 

Vivi flushed and buried her head in Haseul's shoulder before answering. "I dunno. I'll probably go to college and get a degree for a backup plan, but I think it would be fun to be a model. At least for a little while." 

Haseul gasped and kissed the top of Vivi's head. "You would be the best model! The best model in the whole world." 

Vivi giggled. "I dunno about that...but thank you. How about you?" 

Haseul hummed. "I'll probably just go into business or something." 

"Haseul, you asked me what you wanted to be when you grow up, not what you think you should be."

"Here's the thing. It's not something I want, you're right. But I think I'd be good at being in middle management. And what I really want is to be able to support the people I love." 

Vivi could see that the light was not in Haseul's eyes, and from that Vivi could tell everything. "But what about your singing?" Vivi asked quietly. 

A hot flash went through Haseul. Singing was the dream she had always dared not to even think about, lest she get too invested and then just end up disappointed. "I...I'm not good enough to be successful at it." 

"That's not true. I think deep in your heart you know that too." 

Haseul quietly nodded. She had heard so many things, from choir teachers and friends. 

"You know, you don't have to be famous even," Vivi spoke softly. "There are lots of things you can do with your voice that aren't just being a big pop star, you know? I know that's not what you want. But if you really don't want to that's okay too. I'm not trying to pressure you." 

Haseul took a deep breath, Vivi's words washing over her, and suddenly, gripped her in a tight hug. "I love you, you know?" Haseul whispered.

Vivi sighed in her grasp, smiling softly. "I love you too. I know." 

~~~~~~~~~~

In the middle of the ledge area with the bright sunlight raining down on them Sooyoung and Jiwoo had their eyes shut, Jiwoo's head on Sooyoung's lap and Sooyoung petting her hair. 

"When we get home-" 

"No!" Jiwoo immediately cried. "We are not going to talk about what's happening when we get home." 

"Come on," Sooyoung sighed. "We should plan, you know? So we can make sure things stay okay." 

Jiwoo just whimpered and nuzzled into Sooyoung's leg. "Fine," she grumbled, turning back around to look up at Sooyoung. "You're coming back next year, right?" 

"Duh," Sooyoung answered, bending down to peck her girlfriend's lips. Jiwoo smiled a little bit at that. 

"Fine. We can talk about it a little. But only because I know we'll both come back next year." 

Sooyoung chuckled and started petting Jiwoo's hair again. "I think we should do lots of tik tok collabs." 

"Yes!" Jiwoo cheered excitedly. "We'll have to do a lot, who knows where our tik tok careers are at right now..." 

"Plus maybe our parents will mad and not want to get us our phones. Did you ever write a letter to your parents to tell them what happened?" 

Jiwoo paused for a second. "I chickened out. You?" 

"Same." 

"If we don't have phones for a while, we can write each other letters." 

"We should write each other letters even if we still have phones," Sooyoung said. 

"Ooh! That's so romantic," Jiwoo answered softly. 

Sooyoung smiled at the thought. "It's so old timey and cute. We'll have to write each other's addresses down so we remember." 

"Oh! Do your parents have a home phone?" 

"Yeah, actually, we do." 

"Mine do too! We can call each other there." 

"So we'll write down our home phone numbers too." 

Jiwoo giggled. "If we do that, we'll probably talk so much that our parents will be annoyed and get us phones just to make us shut up." 

Sooyoung chuckled. "True." 

"Maybe...maybe it won't be so bad," Jiwoo spoke. But Sooyoung sighed, she knew it would be. Yes her and Jiwoo could talk but it wouldn't be the same, especially not being able to kiss and hold her favorite girl. 

But Sooyoung didn't want to bring either of their moods down any further, so she played along. "Yeah...maybe it won't be."