Campfire Songs

The Girls of Summer

At dinnertime, Nayeon (the sixteen to eighteens counselor) approached the girls. 

"Tonight there's this thing called the teen sing a long! Basically my campers and your group sit around a big campfire and we sing songs together! It's really fun I promise." 

The girls shared a look before Haseul turned to Nayeon and nodded. Although some thought it might be lame, they had been bored all day and were grateful for something to do. Anyways, it didn't involve any physical activity whatsoever. 

"We'll come," Haseul answered. 

"Good!" Nayeon cheered. "After you finish, meet me at the bridge." She headed out and the girls quickly finished eating, grabbing some heavier jackets from their cabins before meeting the others, Nayeon and the older campers. She beckoned everyone to follow and they did, crossing the stream and walking up towards the hills. 

They stopped when they got near that lone creepy cabin that the girls had discovered when they first explored camp. It didn't feel so creepy any more though, since beside it there was a massive fire going, logs set up surrounding it. They all breathed a sigh of relief; despite bringing heavier jackets all of them were freezing. When they got closer they could see Chaeyoung, the counselor that ran the art shack, sitting next to a pile of books and tuning her guitar. 

"Oh hi! Come sit," she spoke. It was squishy but there was enough space for all of them, thighs touching on the slightly uncomfortable logs. 

Haseul had been talking to Jinsoul and Jungeun and Vivi had been talking to Heejin and Hyunjin but as soon as Yeojin and Yerim arrived, they shared a sly grin. 

"Wh-what?" Haseul stuttered as Yerim pulled her from her other friends, plopping her down in a seat. Soon after, Yeojin delivered Vivi directly next to her. 

"We wanna sit with you two!" Yeojin said, and her and Yerim shared a look. Haseul glared at both of them before melting as soon as her and Vivi locked eyes. Vivi giggled and shrugged, and Haseul shrugged back. 

Nayeon handed the books to the camper sitting next to her and the books got passed around, each camper receiving one. With her head on Sooyoung's shoulder, Jiwoo flipped it open. 

"What is it?" Sooyoung asked.

"Looks like song lyrics," Jiwoo answered.

"Alright everyone! Welcome to the teen sing a long. Basically everyone just shouts out songs they want to sing from this book, Chaeyoung will play the chords and we'll all sing it together," Nayeon explained. 

"All of these songs are old..." Yeojin mumbled, flipping through the pages. 

"Anyone wanna start us off?" Chaeyoung asked. 

"Brown eyed girl!" One of the older campers called out. 

Chaeyoung smiled. "Alright everyone, that's on page thirty-seven." Everyone turned their pages, Haseul helping Yerim find it, and Chaeyoung played the opening chords. 

This was clearly a song the older girls knew but the younger girls didn't, mumbling or not even singing at all. But quickly, they all found their footing until everyone was singing along whether they knew it or not. 

Once it was over Heejin went to the title page to see the list of songs in case there was one she knew. She didn't mind singing these old camp songs, but it would be more fun for her and the others if they knew them. 

"Puff the magic dragon!" She cried out. To her surprise, everyone agreed (although Hyunjin laughed at her a little bit), and after turning to the right page they all began to sing. 

As they all sang through the different songs, Heejin began to listen to everyone's individual voices. Jiwoo and Haseul had amazing voices, Heejin noticed very quickly, enough to be almost professionals, and she wondered if they got lessons during the school year. 

But she only listened to them for a few moments. Instead, she spent the whole time listening to Hyunjin. 

She really hadn't expected her to be a good singer. But she truly was, her voice soft and breathy and really quite unlike her (but it was surprising, and that was definitely Hyunjin). She couldn't stop listening, her own voice even faltering with the effort to listen to Hyunjin's beautiful singing. 

In that moment Heejin couldn't help it and she turned to watch Hyunjin. Her voice was beautiful. In fact, everything about her was beautiful, as Heejin noticeed in that moment. She was really pretty, I mean, Heejin had always thought so, but she really noticed it now. And she was playful and could tease to no end but she was kind, and fun, and-

What?

Heejin shook her head and cleared as the song died down. 

"I didn't know you could sing so well," Heejin whispered to Hyunjin. 

"This little light of mine!" Haseul suggested, and everyone agreed. 

"Page fourteen!" Nayeon answered. 

"It's one of my many hidden talents," Hyunjin whispered back as they all turned to page fourteen. She paused for a moment. "You're really good too." 

Heejin chuckled. "Really?" 

Hyunjin looked her firmly in the eyes and slowly but surely smiled. "Really." 

Heejin couldn't answer because they began to sing. Well, Heejin couldn't answer for that reason, but there was another reason that was hanging in the back of her mind. Something about what Hyunjin had said made her feel...strange. Her heart was beating rapidly in her chest and her stomach felt like it was buzzing, fluttering. And when Hyunjin casually rested her head on Heejin's shoulder, it all just got worse and more and Heejin didn't know what to make of it. 

She had felt this way before, definitely. Not for a long time, but she had. But she'd only ever felt this way for...boys. 

Heejin sat up rapidly and Hyunjin gave her a confused look before going back to singing. 

What did this mean? What was this all about? Heejin really wasn't sure what to say, what to call it. She sighed, picking back up with the song. She would have to figure all of this out later. 

"Allstar!" Yeojin suggested loudly. 

"What?" Nayeon asked. 

"By smashmouth," she answered with a giggle. 

The other campers and counselors let out groans of varying degrees of loudness. 

"Come on, you all secretly want to," Yeojin said. 

"Fine," Nayeon answered. "Page sixty four." Once everyone was busy flipping pages, she turned to Chaeyoung. "Let's get this over with," she whispered. Chaeyoung giggled and nodded, and they all reluctantly began to sing along. 

Hyejoo knew her and Chaewon weren't bad singers at all but compared to the borderline professionals that Jiwoo and Haseul were (with Sooyoung and Vivi staring at them lovingly), they knew they weren't the worst of the bunch. So they didn't care about being good, just singing their hearts out. And it had been fun so far, maybe one of Hyejoo's favorite things ever at camp. There was no physical activity and enough other voices that her and Chaewon could just sing and be silly without being judged. The songs were too old and bad (too much pop for Hyejoo's taste) but it didn't even matter. Even this song was fun. 

Once it was over Chaewon quickly shot her hand up and Hyejoo looked at her with surprise. "Our song! By Taylor Swift!" She suggested loudly. Everyone agreed, and once Chaeyong called out the page they turned to it. 

"Thank you," Hyejoo whispered; the girls all knew her secret penchant for old Taylor Swift after she'd admitted it during truth or dare. 

"I knew you wanted to sing it but would have been too ashamed to suggest it," Chaewon whispered back, in that voice Hyejoo found so, so cute. 

"You know me too well," Hyejoo answered, and they began to sing. Neither of them even had to look at the lyrics, just bouncing around and singing. They didn't even notice the rest of the girls cooing over how cute they were together. 

"California girls!" Jinsoul suggested after Taylor Swift was done. Hyejoo and Chaewon didn't know this one as well, just enough to feel comfortable, until it came to the rap verse.

Hyejoo quieted down because she knew she couldn't do it at all but to her surprise, Chaewon began to rap it, and well. Well enough to possibly rival Snoop Dogg. She was so into it too; Hyejoo couldn't stop just watching. 

Once it was over Chaewon got tiny and quiet again, and Hyejoo couldn't stop looking between the lyrics and her. She should tell her how good it was. She has to. But...would Chaewon be embarrassed? Would she feel weird? 

Hyejoo sighed and steeled herself. "U-um...Ch-Chaewon..." 

"Yeah?" Chaewon asked, looking over at her best friend at camp. 

"You...y-you were really good at that rap part," Hyejoo answered, quickly looking away. Her and Chaewon's friendship had grown passed the stuttering and awkwardness a week ago but this was a lot further, the romantic aspect that Hyejoo thought only she felt. 

Chaewon looked down, shy too, and Chaeyoung cooed when she noticed both girls blushing. 

"Th-thanks," Chaewon answered, and the girls shared a small smile.