Twelve Girls Forever

The Girls of Summer

"We should do something guys," Vivi whined, spread out like a starfish on her bed. It was after lunch and the girls were all just lazing around the cabin. They weren't exactly tired but a sense of sadness clouded over them. "We shouldn't waste our time. I mean, camp is over in a few-" 

"No no no no no!" Hyejoo cried, and Vivi fell silent. "Don't talk about it." 

Vivi sighed and the girls pouted. 

"Come on, Vivi's a little right," Haseul whined. "We shouldn't waste our time, and we should try to be less sad." 

"How?" Sooyoung spoke with a sigh. 

Yeojin sat up. "We could go pig out at the store." 

Yerim smiled. "You're a genius!" 

The other girls all voiced their agreements and slid out of bed, making their way down to the store. 

As soon as they arrived store counselor Jeongyeon put her face in her palms and the girls ravedged the snack sections, holding the multitudes of snacks in their arms. Once Hyunjin finished picking everything out, so much stuff she could barely carry it, all she had to do was flash her free store items pass won from the scavenger hunt and counselor Jeongyeon motioned her out. Heejin did the same, and other girls followed them. 

"Didn't you guys bring money?" Sooyoung asked, gathering up popsicles and bags of chips for her and Jiwoo to eat. 

"No way!" Yerim answered. 

"Well then why can you all just not pay?" Hyejoo asked angrily. 

"We won the scavenger hunt, remember?" Yeojin added with a smirk, going up to counselor Jeongyeon at the cash register and whipping out her pass. "We get everything free from the store." 

The four girls who didn't attend the scavenger hunt (Hyejoo, Chaewon, Sooyoung, and Jiwoo) gasped. 

"Can you guys share? Please?" Jiwoo said loudly as Hyejoo tried to pass her stuff off to Yerim. 

"Hell no!" Yeojin cried. 

"You guys shouldn't have been weird and just come," Jungeun added. 

"You all !" Jiwoo cried. Sooyoung and Chaewon pouted, and Hyejoo glared. 

"Shh," Haseul mumbled, taking all of the snacks out of the girl's hands with a wink and bringing them up to the cash register to treat them with her own pass. 

"You are too nice," Jeongyeon mumbled to the girl as Sooyoung, Chaewon, Jiwoo, and Hyejoo whispered their thanks to their unspoken leader. 

"That's my job!" Haseul answered, going back and forth between the store and the picnic tables outside for a few trips, to get everyone their things. 

Once they were all out there they split up, spending a few minutes wordlessly gorging on their snacks. Once everything was gone Chaewon and Hyejoo stayed chatting to themselves on the picnic bench, while Jinsoul, Jungeun, Hyunjin, and Heejin played ping pong at the table next to the store. Yeojin and Yerim went back inside to get even more snacks (which amazed all the girls; they couldn't have fit anything else in their stomachs). Sooyoung and Jiwoo, far too full to do much of anything, laid down on their backs in the grass, staring up at the sky. For once, Yeojin had been right: junk food really had cheered all of them up. 

Meanwhile, Vivi and Haseul were standing outside of the store cabin by the cashier's little window, looking at the walls. 

"It's so cool that people wrote all over this," Vivi mumbled. 

"Yeah," Haseul answered. They read the writing in sharpie that covered the outside, with names and initials, with dates going back almost fifty years, with doodles and inside jokes. Some of it was dirty, most of it was innocent, and the two shared a smile. They could feel how much this camp meant to so many people, not just them and the little group they had found. They didn't even need to say it; they both knew Camp Pink was a magical place. And judging by the walls, they weren't the first to experience this magic for themselves. 

Slowly the other girls started circling up around them, looking over the writing for themselves. 

"Oh my gosh," Hyunjin said with a chuckle, pointing to a particular set of writing. It was the names of counselor Mina and counselor Chaeyoung, together in a heart, with a date and the words 'love at camp pink forever' inside. It looked quite a few years old; they couldn't have written it in this year.

Counselor Jeongyeon, clearly bored since nobody had come to the store in a while, peered out of the window to look over the girls staring up the wall. "Whatcha looking at?" 

"Did counselor Mina and counselor Chaeyoung write this?" Yerim asked. Jeongyeon leaned over to look at what the girls were pointing at. 

"Oh yeah," Jeongyeon answered with a grin. 

"This year? But it looks too old..." Heejin mumbled. 

"No way. Our first year of camp." 

"Our?" Jinsoul cried. 

"Oh yeah. All of us counselors were campers too once, you know. We were the same age as you all our first year, or maybe a little bit younger." 

"And...they dated?" Chaewon shyly asked. 

Jeongyeon scoffed. "Come on girls, you know how it is. We all dated each other. Man, we're all still dating each other." 

"It's so sweet that you're all still together," Vivi said whistfully. 

"I know," Jeongyeon said, the usually tough counselor looking shyly down at the floor. "Same thing was true back when we were campers, that the counselors were campers once too, that had been dating forever. Relationships formed here are made to last, I guess." 

"Okay, okay, wait a minute....does every girl who comes to this camp like girls?" Yeojin asked. 

Jeongyeon laughed loudly. "You know what? I guess so." 

Everyone started to laugh loudly; the camp did not advertise itself as a camp for wlw, after all. 

"I mean, all of our old counselors liked girls...do you all like girls?" Jeongyeon asked. 

"Yup," Hyejoo firmly answered. 

"That's....that's crazy," Jeongyeon mumbled. 

"Wait a second...Jeongyeon, which one of the counselors is your girlfriend?" Jinsoul asked. 

"That is a secret I will not be sharing with you girls." 

"Come on, can we guess?" Yeojin whined. 

"No," Jeongyeon firmly answered. 

"Is it Na-" 

"Alright ladies, I have to go...reorganize the soda fridge!" Jeongyeon interrupted Jiwoo, moving away from the window and to the other end of the store. 

The girls sighed with defeat but continued looking over all of the different writing, smiling to themselves. 

Yerim suddenly gasped, and the girls turned to her. "We should write something!" she excitedly spoke. 

The other girls immediately agreed, chattering loudly about what to say. 

"Does anyone have a sharpie?" Sooyoung asked, and everyone shook their heads. 

"Jeongyeon!" Jiwoo called in her loud voice. 

"What?" She yelled back from the other side of the store. 

"Do you have a sharpie?" 

Jeongyeon walked back over. "Why would you need one?" 

"We wanna write on the wall too," Chaewon explained. 

Jeongyeon sighed, and she sounded geniunely sad. "I would totally let you guys but Jihyo told me not to let anyone. Apparently some parents complained about it..." 

"Oh come on," Yeojin whined. 

"We promise we'll never pester you about your girlfriend again," Jinsoul added. 

"Seriously guys, I want you to but Jihyo said no." 

The girls all pouted. "Fine," Haseul spoke, and they moved away from the cabin to go back to the picnic tables and eat their snacks. 

But a few moments later, the girls turned to see Jeongyeon stepping out of the store and locking it. 

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom. I'll be back in a little while. Don't do anything...stupid." She winked and stepped out onto the grass, a sharpie pen falling out of her pocket and onto the ground. 

With a big grin the girls all watched her go, and as soon as she was out of eyesight they ran to the pen and Yeojin picked it up. Loud chatter filled the group. 

"What should we write?" Yerim asked. 

"Who should write?" Sooyoung added. 

"Whoever has the neatest handwriting," Jungeun answered. Everyone looked around at each other, trying to remember seeing any of them write anything out. 

"Mine is okay..." Vivi hesitantly piped up. 

"Oh yeah! It is nice," Heejin said, and Yeojin handed Vivi the sharpie. 

"What should I say?" Vivi asked, uncapping it. 

The girls all looked at each other before Haseul turned to her girlfriend. "We trust you." 

"Really?" Vivi spoke with surprise. She hummed and thought of what to say before beginning to write on one of the few free spaces on the wall. 

A few minutes later she pulled away, smiling proudly at her work. The other girls bent down to look at her pretty, loopy handwriting on the wall, and Haseul read it out loud. 

"Jeon Heejin, Kim Hyunjin, Jo Haseul, Im Yeojin, Wong Vivi, Kim Jungeun, Jung Jinsoul, Choi Yerim, Ha Sooyoung, Kim Jiwoo, Park Chaewon, and Son Hyejoo, summer 2020! twelve best friends, twelve girls forever!" 

Vivi and Haseul shared a smile; none of the rest noticed Vivi write "Haseul I love you," in very tiny handwriting.