Teen Movie Mess

The Girls of Summer

After dinner the next day, Nayeon had invited them all to come to teen movie night; where they set up a projector near the beach, give out free candy and popcorn, and let all the girls watch a movie. The girls had agreed; it had been forever since any of them had watched a movie, and popcorn did sound nice. 

But now, they were pissed. Once them and the sixteen to eighteens got their snacks and sat down Nayeon the projector, showing the home screen for the secret life of pets two. 

"Really? A kid's movie? We're not kids," Yerim groaned. 

"Not even a good kid's movie either," Jiwoo mumbled. 

"They do this to us every year," one of the seventeen year olds explained. 

"I don't have a choice! Jihyo just gives me one," Nayeon explained. 

"But I haven't even seen secret life of pets one!" Jungeun whined. 

"Just enjoy the snacks," Nayeon grumbled and pressed play. 

Twenty minutes in, and the beach looked completely different than it had just a few minutes earlier. Nayeon quickly fell asleep and half of the older teens, apparently having came just for the snacks, had gotten up and left. The other half were making out in the sand. Sooyoung and Jiwoo had joined them immediately, and Jungeun and Jinsoul not long after. 

Vivi and Haseul were sitting together, pretending to look at the screen and actually looking at the older teens and their friends. Their thighs were pressed together, sharing the multitude of blankets they had brought since they both get cold easily. 

Haseul knows what she wants. It's dark anyways so nobody would judge. But no way is she actually gonna go for it. 

"You know...all the older girls are making out," Vivi whispered. 

"Mmh," Haseul answered, blushing just thinking about kissing Vivi. 

"And Sooyoung and Jiwoo too," Vivi whispered. 

"That's not unusual; they do that all the time." 

"And even Jungeun and Jinsoul..." 

"Yeah...super crazy," Haseul answered. 

"It's like...all the girls our age are making out," Vivi commented. 

"Yeah...all of them..." Haseul said, giving a little laugh. Vivi watched Haseul's expression but Haseul pointedly stared at the projector screen. Haseul gave the tiniest glance at Vivi, and Vivi glanced down at her lips. But Haseul quickly looked back at the movie. 

Vivi wouldn't want to make out with her. Why would she? Haseul wanted it so badly and she was so jealous of the other girls but-

A tap on the shoulder pulled her out of her thoughts. "Hey Haseul," Vivi whispered softly in her ear. A shiver ran down Haseul's spine. 

"Y-yes?" 

"Have you ever made out before?" Vivi asked, still in a whisper, her hand resting on the small of Haseul's back

"Yeah," Haseul answered. Her mind flashed back to the student council retreat last spring when she had played spin the bottle and had to make out with some icky boy. She didn't like counting that but she didn't want to embarrass herself by saying no to Vivi. 

"Do you like it?" 

"Yes," Haseul responded. She definitely did not like making out with that icky boy, but she liked the idea of making out with Vivi. 

"I like it too," Vivi answered. 

Haseul couldn't resist anymore. She wanted it so, so bad. So... it. "Oh my god, Vivi, this is so random," she said with an awkward chuckle. "But wouldn't it be, like, so crazy if we made out? Like, so random and insane. Wouldn't it just be?" 

Vivi sighed deeply. "Finally," she mumbled under her breath, grabbing Haseul's cheeks and pulling her in for their first kiss. 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was when Vivi and Haseul succumbed to making out that Hyunjin knew what kind of night this was going to be. Only the youngest of the younger teens were left actually watching, and Hyunjin definitely wasn't watching. She was far too busy daydreaming instead. 

Heejin had finally shut the up about boys, to Hyunjin's relief. But honestly that just made things worse. Now Hyunjin could pretend she had a fighting chance when she knew in her heart that she didn't. Her kiss with Heejin at truth or dare haunted her; there had been real sparks there. And watching the older girls only made her jealous. But what could she do?

Suddenly, Heejin leaned over to whisper in her ear. "There's so much...lesbianing," she said, and Hyunjin couldn't hold back a loud laugh (not that anyone cared). 

She slowly smiled to herself. Maybe Hyunjin could mess around and flirt a little. As long as she didn't take it too far it would be okay, right? She could relieve some of her heartache. "It was nice kissing me though, right?" 

Hyunjin could feel Heejin heating up beside her, and that sly smile remained on her face. "It was different...it was soft," Heejin whispered back. "I liked it." 

Heejin stared at her lap and Hyunjin raised her eyebrows, thinking for a moment. If she liked it...then maybe they could do it again. Maybe Hyunjin wouldn't have to just awkwardly watch everyone else. Under the cover of the darkness and the movie and everyone else doing it, maybe they could. As long as Heejin saw it as casual, as just for fun, as just an experiment. She didn't need to know how Hyunjin felt. 

She let her eyes fall to Heejin's pretty lips. "Heejin...you know... nobody will know what you do here. No one will judge," she mumbled. Heejin kept on staring at her own lap before sitting up and turning to Hyunjin, like she just understood what Hyunjin was trying to say.

Hyunjin felt Heejin lean in closer and in her head, she cheered. She watched Heejin's eyes dart quickly between hers and her lips. "Yeah...I know what you're saying Hyunjin. I know." She leaned in closer, ninety percent, and Hyunjin knew she was there. 

Hyunjin wrapped her hand on the back of Heejin's neck. She came in the last ten percent, and gave her a kiss. 

~~~~~~~~~~

By this point, Hyejoo and Chaewon felt very awkward. Everyone except them, Yeojin, Yerim, and Nayeon was making out, and Nayeon was fast asleep. 

"This is so weird," Chaewon whispered in Hyejoo's ear. 

"Yeah," Hyejoo answered. 

They turned back to the movie, neither concentrating very hard. Both were in their own heads, too busy thinking. 

Chaewon thought about her and Hyejoo's first kiss, during truth or dare. She had liked it, a lot. She wanted to do that again, and more often. She wondered if Hyejoo felt the same. 

It had been awkward the first time, exactly because it was their first time, and everyone was watching them. Chaewon wanted to try it again, under less eyes and without the nerves of the first time. Maybe...here. Or maybe not. 

"Did you like kissing me?" Hyejoo asked. Clearly this was on Hyejoo's mind too. 

"Yeah," Chaewon admitted shyly. "Did you?" 

Hyejoo nodded before quickly looking away. "I didn't think I'd like it that much." 

Chaewon nodded too. "I wanna be good at it," she admitted. 

Hyejoo cleared . "M-me too," she stuttered. Both her and Hyejoo looked up and around at everyone else before turning back to each other. 

"I-I mean..." Hyejoo stuttered again, the two looking at each other and making eye contact. "W-we could practice..." 

Chaewon smiled at that idea. "Here?" 

Hyejoo nodded. "It's dark...and nobody would judge, or walk in on us like they would have at the cabin." Chaewon's stomach burned with butterflies at the very idea. Practicing kissing with the girl she liked so, so much...that was the funnest thing she could possibly think of doing. And Hyejoo was right; this was the prime opportunity to get practice. And they might need it if they played truth or dare and it went the way it had last time. 

"That's...that's a really good idea," Chaewon answered. 

"So...yeah?" Hyejoo asked; even in the dark Chaewon could tell her cheeks were flaming.

"Yeah," Chaewon answered, and she knew her blush was red enough to match. 

Neither girl knew how or when to initiate it, just looking back and forth at the floor and at each other. Hyejoo crawled her hand forward, resting it on top of Chaewon's, and she wasn't sure if that made her more or less nervous. But finally, Chaewon gathered up enough courage, and leaned in. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Ew!" Yerim yelled as soon as the movie was over, the home screen lighting up the beach. In the light Yerim and Yeojin could see everyone, all of their friends and the older teens making out in the sand. 

"Wh-whah?" Nayeon sat up with a start, looking around and grimacing as she woke up from her nap. 

"Gross guys. Save it for the cabin," Yeojin added. 

"She's right. Let's get back to camp," Nayeon spoke. The girls all broke away from their make out partners, brushing the sand off of each other and following Nayeon. 

"Sorry," Haseul mumbled to Yeojin and Yerim as she passed by. 

"No, you're okay," Yerim answered. 

"You probably needed that," Yeojin whispered. 

Haseul sighed. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"