The Last Full Day

The Girls of Summer

If yesterday had been kind of mopey, today was really mopey. It was their last full day of camp, and none of the girls quite knew how to process it. Yes they had tomorrow morning to say goodbye, but by the late afternoon all of them would be back in their parent's cars, going home. Really, it was devastating. After spending twenty four hours a day together for a whole month, they were so close that separating hurt. 

Really, all they could do was lay on the floor and think. They had all crammed into one cabin, just being tired and lazing around. 

"We should eat something," Heejin mumbled. Everyone was silent; nobody really had the energy to go up and get stuff from the store or cereal from the dining hall. 

"Come on Yerim, come on Yeojin," Jiwoo whined. "You two usually go get it." 

Both of them groaned simoultaneously. "I don't wanna," Yeojin whined back. 

"Usually I feel hyper especially if we've done nothing. But today I wanna do nothing," Yerim explained. 

Jungeun sighed and sat up, looking to her girlfriend. "Jinsoul, let's go get the cereal." 

"Mmh," Jinsoul answered, standing up as well. "I want a moment alone with you." The girls grabbed each other's hands and walked out, letting the cabin door gently shut behind them. 

The girls sat in mostly silence while they waited for Jungeun and Jinsoul to return, chatting in short and quiet conversations. They took a while to come back but when they finally did they passed out cereal to everyone, taking their seats back on the floor. Slowly everyone else followed, circling up on the floor. 

"This feels like when we play truth or dare!" Haseul said excitedly. 

"It was so awkward sometimes..." Hyejoo mumbled. 

"You should be grateful for it," Sooyoung said. "Would you and Chaewon even better together without it?" 

Chaewon and Hyejoo shared a sheepish smile. 

"Probably not..." Hyejoo admitted. 

"I did like the kissing," Chaewon said quietly. 

"Seriously, guys. I'm gonna miss you all so much," Haseul said. "School's gonna without you all." 

"I know. I don't know how I'll handle it," Vivi spoke sadly, resting her head on Haseul's shoulder. 

"You know...I feel like I've grown a lot here. Like...I know I'm not cool, of course. But I'm okay with it. I can be a dork and I'm not embarrassed about it any more." 

"Aww!" Jiwoo said, and Vivi kissed her girlfriend's cheek. 

"You know that's why I love you, right?" Vivi mumbled into Haseul's ear. 

"Of course," Haseul said confidently, rubbing Vivi's leg. "I mean, as dorky as I am I still got the world's cutest girl to be my girlfriend." 

Vivi snuggled into the crook of Haseul's shoulder and smiled at her. 

"You know, camp changed me too," Hyejoo spoke up, everyone looking at her with surprise. They hadn't thought she would share. "I thought I was gonna hate it here. Before coming I hated making new real friends and doing outside stuff. Now...now I guess I like making new friends. I mean, I liked making friends with all of you. And hanging out outside here at camp was fun. So, I guess I like that stuff now...sometimes." 

"Hyejoo!" Jiwoo cried affectionately, the girls scooting over to give the emo girl a big hug. Usually it wasn't her thing but she hugged them back, holding Chaewon tight last. 

"You know, I agree," Chaewon added, reaching for her girlfriend's hand and squeezing it. "I mean I had some friends back home, but not like this. Nothing like this. You're all my best friends for life." 

"And you know, we're more confident too. I would never have gone into the pool or sea to swim before this. But now I feel okay about it. I mean, plus, I don't know if I ever would have had the courage to tell Chaewon how I felt." 

"It took long enough already," Hyunjin mumbled. 

"Hey!" Chaewon whined. "Don't remind us." 

"I'm...I'm glad we've had these days anyways. Even if it wasn't enough," Hyejoo spoke softly to Chaewon. She deflated, scooting in closer to her girlfriend. 

"I know...I know," Chaewon answered, Hyejoo wrapping her arms around Chaewon's shoulder. 

"I guess if we're having a cheesy moment where we talk about how much we've grown and changed, I'll add mine," Heejin piped up. "I mean, I literally thought I was straight before coming here." 

Yeojin scoffed. "What?" Heejin whined. 

"Well, I mean, you wouldn't think that now with all of the making out you and Hyunjin do." 

Heejin blushed and Hyunjin grinned, rubbing her girlfriend's shoulder. She cleared . "Anyways....I really did think so. It's easy to realize I was wrong, now that I know. But camp changed all of that." Heejin tilted her head. "Well, Hyunjin changed all of that." 

Hyunjin gave a proud smile. "I'm pretty lucky, you know? This kind of thing doesn't really happen. Usually the straight girl you like just breaks your heart, doesn't suddenly realize she likes girls too as soon as she confesses. It's like..." She paused to share a smile with Heejin. "It's like out of a movie." 

"God you two are cheesy," Yeojin grumbled. 

"Like everyone else isn't! Why don't you make fun of them?" Heejin said. 

"Because you two are the cheesiest." 

"I would have to disagree," Hyunjin said firmly. Yeojin made a face and the two stuck out their tongues at each other. For a moment, the mood in the room was lifted, before everyone remembered what day it was and slunk back into their seats. 

"My turn!" Jiwoo cheered. "You know, I hate those boomer times that make fun of teenagers for liking our phones and spending lots of time on them. But like...it's been so fun not having it here at camp! I mean...I'm scared what my parents are going to say, but it's...it's been nice. Doing stuff in real life is fun. Plus, I can spend all that time with Sooyoung." 

"I'm sure we'll be as addicted as ever when we get back," Sooyoung said. 

"I mean, mostly so we can talk to each other!" Jiwoo defended herself. 

Sooyoung chuckled. "True. You know...it's been so much better because we can't put up a false image here. No time apart, no filters, you can't even really wear makeup or nice clothes here without messing them up or getting them dirty. I know this; I'm kind of internet famous. I know all about a fake image and it's really just nice to have a break from that. And in my break I found the best relationship ever." 

"Okay, I really agree with that. I think I couldn't have met someone as wonderful as Jinsoul in any other situation. Maybe it was a little fast..." 

"You two got together in five days," Hyunjin mumbled. 

"Okay, fine. Maybe it was a lot fast," Jungeun continued. "But that's camp. It's been so great, we didn't get together a day too soon." 

"Aww baby!" Jinsoul said, leaping over to hold her girlfriend and cover his face with kisses.

"What is with all this cheesyness!" Yeojin whined. 

"I think you're just jealous," Sooyoung grumbled. 

"You know I'm right guys-" 

Suddenly, Yeojin was interrupted by Yerim starting to sniffle. 

"Yerimmie, don't cry. We have skype and facetime and texting and instagram and we can even send letters," Jinsoul tried to comfort her younger friend but soon enough, their were tears in her eyes too. Everyone came closer to hug the two of them, disappointment settling in their hearts. 

"I just...I just...I'm just going to miss all of you so much!" Yerim sobbed loudly, the girls all gently rubbing her back. 

"We'll keep in contact, right? We have to all keep in contact," Heejin said. 

"Yeah! Let's make a big group chat," Haseul answered. 

"Write your numbers and social medias down for me and Sooyoung since we don't have them," Jiwoo said. Yerim and Jinsoul calmed down quickly and although they were still sniffling, everyone paused to write down their info, twelve pieces of paper for each girl, just in case they couldn't find each other's instagrams. 

Yeojin sighed deeply. "Okay, fine, fine, it's my turn to be cheesy, if I must. I'll miss you all, alright! I will. Even dorky Haseul and all you stupid lovey dovey couples. I'll especially miss counselor Jihyo because she's hot...but the rest of you too." 

"Aw Yeojin!" Jiwoo spoke, and the girls gave her yet another big group hug. Yeojin laughed into it and the girls all tackled each other to the floor, the mood brought up again for just a moment. 

But again that faded, sitting up and staring around at the circle, at their best friends (and possibly even girlfriends). It was sad but it was also another kind of a moment, like the beginning of a new era, all as practically brand new girls. 

"You know guys. It's so sad. But...we always have next summer, right?" Vivi tried. And slowly, everyone smiled. She was right.