Chapter 24 : Towards the Future

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 24 Towards the Future

 

A week has passed since the great musician took a step down from of the entertainment industry, yet since then, nothing much has changed. Though it may not be as much as days ago, there are still reports that come out from here and there, few articles still trend throughout online sites, criticisms and support clashing everywhere and even rumors pop out of nowhere. Nevertheless, all of these matters are being disregarded by those who are most affected.

 

Jennie, who is set to be discharged from the hospital on this very day, is using her remaining time on getting better. Slowly but surely, she’s using every ounce of her patience on recovering with the help of therapist and few concerned nurses. Sometimes it does get frustrating, just like now that she’s spending an hour by the hospital’s rehabilitation area wherein a lot of people are as well healing.

 

“Take it slowly. Let’s try it one more time.” The therapist cautiously guided Jennie to get back up on her feet again.

 

However, in a split second, Jennie dropped back on her wheel chair and panted. “Wait, I can’t do it anymore. I’m exhausted. Can we stop it here for today?” She pleaded in between her heavy breathings.

 

The therapist checked on her records and as he’s satisfied with her progress, he agrees, “Okay then. You worked hard for your last day here in the hospital. You’ve done well.”

 

“Thank you.” Jennie forced a smile and later sighed.

 

Her therapist looked around and seem to find no guardian with her, and so he asks, “Don’t you have anyone with you?”

 

“Ah, well…” Jennie looked down. “…Chaeyoung is with Ella today.” She said reserved but at the same time openly mentioning Chaeyoung’s name.

 

And the therapist gasps as he recalls, “Oh! I saw it on the news. The authorities will give their decision today on the adoption.” But then he halted as Jennie frowned. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to meddle with your personal affairs. I heard it’s a private matter but we also don’t know how it leaked to the media.”

 

“No, it’s alright. It’s everywhere though and I feel better talking about it. It’s just that I’m very nervous, maybe that’s also why I couldn’t focus well on my therapy.” Jennie humbly said and again went back on fidgeting her fingers by her lap.

 

As Jennie remembers, right the day after the press conference, Chaeyoung received a call from the authorities, informing her about the adoption’s decision, whether she’s qualified or not to become Ella’s parent. Ever since, Chaeyoung has been anxious, though she’s trying her best not to show it in front of Jennie, whereas Ella has been quiet for this young girl is surely the most anxious one.

 

Jennie worked as a nanny for this purpose, for Ella’s adoption to be successful and to aid Chaeyoung from all the responsibilities to Ella. Her plans of staying as a mere nanny and drawing a line on their bonds failed, and it prosper into something better, but now that Jennie thinks of it, now that the time has come, is it really a good decision to forget her original task which is to be a nanny and not Chaeyoung’s girlfriend?

 

And to cut her thoughts attacking her frantic mind again, an elder patient seated near her voices carefully, “Aren’t you Park Chaeyoung’s girlfriend? Sorry, I kind of heard what you’re talking about and I also recognized you. My daughter is a fan, that’s why.”

 

“W-well… yeah. I am.” Jennie stuttered at the label as she madly blushed, and at the back of her mind she thought, “Wow, Park Chaeyoung’s girlfriend. It sounds good.”

 

“Are you worried that they might not grant the adoption to Chaeyoung?” The elder asked and Jennie warily nodded. And so, he positively tells, “Don’t worry. I’m sure they will grant it to her. I watched the press conference and her speech is always on the newspapers that I read in the morning. Maybe her words contributed a bit for the authorities to grant it to her.”

 

Jennie rolled her wheelchair closer to the elder for more conversation as his remarks interest her. “How do you say so?” She questioned.

 

“Chaeyoung made a good decision on choosing her family and sacrificed her career. That wasn’t an easy decision to make.” The elder began and Jennie tended closer to hear more. “Careers, especially in the entertainment industry, that’s not something she can keep forever. When her popularity starts to fade, she’ll eventually be forgotten too. When someone better appears in the future, the companies will definitely focus on that person and the possibility for Chaeyoung to keep her career going is uncertain. Either it will disappear into the air or she’ll hang on, but still, the former is the most probable to happen in the entertainment world.”

 

“Oh, right…” Jennie realized, thinking how many idols, potential artists are suddenly nowhere to be found because companies and businesses have found better talents, or perhaps their interests just vanish.

 

“She already has enough millions, or not, then billions in her bank from her long years in her career. And that’s more than enough to support a small family until she gets old like us.” The elder went on. “As what I’ve understood from her speech, for her it doesn’t matter if she doesn’t live an extravagant life, as long as she comes home to a happy family, I think she’s more than happy with it.”

 

Jennie kept mum as she listened carefully. The elder is making points and his words are easing her negative thoughts away, swatting all doubts and uncertainties that have been bugging her. From time to time, these fears disturb her but whenever she hears assurances and encouragements that hit her with realizations, her mind and heart would calm down once again.

 

The therapist then also shares his view, “Don’t mind what the others say. Don’t let them distract you. You’re not doing anything wrong and that’s important. And I personally think as well that Park Chaeyoung chose the best decision. She chose the most important thing in her life and there’s nothing wrong it. Please, stay strong and support her as well. I think you’re the one she needs the most in these difficult times.”

 

“You’re young and you might not know a lot about life yet, especially when it comes to keeping a family together. But I tell you, as long as you have each other, as long as she has you, watch her shine the brightest even with the last penny in her pocket.” The elder smiled and patted Jennie’s back.

 

“Ah, they’re here.” The therapist alerted Jennie as he saw Chaeyoung, together with Ella, entering the area.

 

No disguise and no cap and scarf to hide her face, this is how Chaeyoung appeared. Naturally, all eyes dart straight at her and murmurs amongst the patients and between staffs immediately went on fire. Nonetheless, Chaeyoung cared none of these things as she proceeded on walking towards Jennie while holding Ella’s small hand.

 

Both Chaeyoung and Ella are wearing blank expression, making Jennie even more nervous as they approached her. She cannot paint whether something good or bad happened. It’s hard for her to determine if they are happy or the opposite, giving restlessness while in her wheelchair as she gave them a frown with her low whines.

 

“How did it go? What was the verdict?” Jennie asked frantically as she reached for Ella.

 

At first, Chaeyoung sighed and Ella grimaced. Chaeyoung slowly knelt down and gave those downhearted gazes on Jennie just to increase the latter’s worries deep within her. These looks that Jennie is getting from both of them speak bad news. However, before her tears could even flow out of her watery eyes, Chaeyoung pulled out a document and placed it on Jennie’s lap.

 

“What’s this?” Jennie asked in confusion.

 

“Open it unnie.” Ella said monotonous.

 

Jennie hesitantly opened the document as she’s still given a blank look. She’s even afraid to look at this piece of paper that she even closed her eyes. Her hands are cold and shaking, until she opened an eye and right on that paper, the first thing she saw are Chaeyoung and Ella’s signatures that were affixed. Seeing this, she opened both her eyes that grew wider as she’s gradually understanding what’s on the document.

 

“T-This…” Jennie choked on her own words.

 

Finally, Chaeyoung broke out in a huge smile as she happily tells, “It was a success.”

 

“Unnie, I’m officially a part of the family now.” Ella beamed, so wide and joyous that giggles came out from her stretched lips.

 

Jennie bawled out in tears as no words can describe how happy she is, how delighted she is. She witnessed Chaeyoung’s hardships and the challenges she had to go through the entire process and heard her struggles as well. She was there during the most difficult times of the process and how satisfying it is that all their hard works paid off and Chaeyoung finally got the well-deserved result she always wanted.

 

“H-how…” Jennie still failed to voice as her emotions are overwhelming.

 

Chaeyoung kept that huge smile on her lips as she says, “They thoroughly checked all that I’ve done for Ella through the months and they were satisfied. Also, I was able to impress the authorities with my speech and they were convinced that I can take care of Ella as a parent. Because I don’t have such demanding job now, they believe I can raise her up well at least until she’s old enough to be on her own.”

 

Jennie glanced over to the elder whom she talked with and he was right, Chaeyoung’s words did some magic and contributed on the decision. Words aren’t enough to express what she exactly feels, and so all she can do is to cry while the people around who heard the good news applauded, congratulating them whole-heartedly and giving them their warmest blessings.

 

“Ella is your daughter now…” Jennie sobbed. “You worked so hard for this…”

 

Which Chaeyoung immediately corrected, smirking, “You mean our daughter and that we worked so hard for this?”

 

“I have two moms!” Ella boasted to everyone, shouting in her giggles and everyone close laughed at her.

 

Jennie blushed as some patients and chanted. Chaeyoung is too upfront and she isn’t afraid to show off her personal life anymore. Like any other normal person, here she is holding her girlfriend’s hands to comfort her, not hiding her in the shadows and showing her off publicly.

 

“C’mon, say something…” Chaeyoung pouted.

 

And Jennie chuckles in between her hard sobs, “Sorry. I’m just so happy that I don’t know what to say. This is just so… wonderful.”

 

Ella, showing no tears, rather all smiles and happiness, she pretentiously wonders to lift up the mood, “Should I call you umma or unnie? If I call you umma, you might not like it because you might feel old. But at the same time, I’m also labelled as your daughter now.”

 

“Whichever you want.” Jennie softly laughed.

 

Chaeyoung stepped few backwards and let Ella and Jennie have their own moment. She watches them as if her eyes are turning into heart-shaped, because more than what she imagined and exceeding her expectations, this family she’s forming with them is a lot better, even more now that Ella is officially theirs and one of their biggest worries has finally come to an end.

 

“Congratulations.” The therapist said as he joined watching the two talking merrily. “Jennie is good for discharge already. However, as you may know, she will have to continue her therapy. Will she be coming back here for her sessions or will you hire a private therapist for her?” He then asked.

 

“Oh, about that…” Chaeyoung warmly smiled. “We’re moving to America as soon as the papers are all done and she’ll continue her recovery there.” She informed.

 

“Is that so? Maybe a new environment will be good for her then.”

 

And Chaeyoung further expounds, “She will continue her sessions here though, until we leave. I will have to process a lot of things and I’ll need to leave her here while I’m on errands and bring her back home for the night.”

 

“Will you be staying there permanently?”

 

She shakes her head, “No. But we might take long. A lot of things happened and none of it is doing anything good for us. We’re not running away from anything or anyone. I just want my family to be safe and secured, particularly now that I have to watch over Jennie closely.”

 

“Yeah, I get what you mean.”

 

After lots of talks and considerations, Chaeyoung was able to convince Jennie on moving. It wasn’t an easy decision to make for Jennie as she has never been into the said country and it will certainly be a shock for her during her first days. But Chaeyoung needs it in order to move on from everything, Jennie needs it so she won’t be distracted by any issues and Ella might feel open, thus, at the end, Jennie gave her consent.

 

“Shall we go on a joy ride before we go back home?” Chaeyoung asked as she went to grab Jennie’s bags rested on the seats, aided by Ella who carried the light ones.

 

All envied the view as Chaeyoung pushes the wheelchair and Jennie reached out to her hand on the handle to hold, while Ella keeps on sharing stories about how the authorities were pleased to keep the cheerful conversation going. In the eyes of many, Chaeyoung may still be that superstar they once knew but more than that, she’s the happiest person alive in this world right now.

 

For not too long, all these good news reached out to Jisoo and squeals of joy immediately escaped from her upon receiving Jennie’s messages. Her unstoppable hands even shake Lisa, who happens to be driving for her for a day out together. As if she won the jackpot, she can be as happy as Jennie is for she as well witnessed with her very own eyes how they struggled to get where they are at this point.

 

“Why? What happened?” Lisa asked with her eyes still focused on the road.

 

“The adoption on Ella was granted!” Jisoo gladly said.

 

“Really?” Lisa huffed and that she had to park her car for a minute at the corner just to check on her phone too, only to see Chaeyoung’s message informing her of the good news as well. “Oh my God! They did it!” She then also screamed and together they cheered inside the closed car.

 

Lisa is known to be a tough woman, yet for this day she melted as for the very first time, she became soft and teary-eyed right before Jisoo’s widened eyes in shock. Jisoo, however, didn’t bother teasing or even made an attempt to make fun of her for she also knows the feeling of having a best friend whom she has been supporting and watching them grow.

 

“Damn that Chaeng! She’s getting all the good things!” Lisa cursed but then also burst out into laughter as she wiped her tears off. 

 

“Then fix your life too if you want to have good things!” Jisoo shouted back and lent that same handkerchief that Lisa gave her before.

 

“Shut up. I will!” Lisa pouted and went on driving when she settled down.

 

While Jisoo is tapping a message to reply, it suddenly crossed her mind that her grin disappeared in a snap, “Oh yeah, this also means that they’ll move to America, right?”

 

“Chaeng told me they might take years, or maybe until before Ella attends high school. They don’t know how long exactly yet but I do know at least that Chaeng intends to get Jennie the best therapist there.” Lisa said and took a glance of Jisoo’s sudden frown. “Why? What’s with that face?” She asked.

 

Jisoo sighs, “To be honest, it’s going to be sad.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I’m not saying that I’m sad that Jennie found a family because I’m truly happy for her. What I mean is that, I’m not used of not having Jennie around. We’ve been always together since high school. She comes to me when she needs someone to lean on and I go to her if I feel lonely at home. And all of a sudden she’s moving somewhere. It’s going to be the first time we’ll be separated. So, it’s kind of new to me. I might have a hard time to adjust.” Jisoo admitted as sighs keep escaping with her eyes stuck on the road.

 

Lisa hums, “I see… Well, I will be here though.” 

 

“Excuse me?” Jisoo glared at her, raising an eyebrow as she seeks explanation from that short response.

 

Lisa bit her inside cheeks and cleared before speaking in a stutter, “You know, Jennie might be away from you but… I’ll be here for you. Y-You can always call me if you need someone to talk with. O-Or if you want to hang out, if you miss your best friend or whatever, I’ll be here to be with you.”

 

“You’re always on your overseas schedules though.” Jisoo snorted.

 

But Lisa quickly responds, higher in her tone for she felt the need to defend herself, “I can always cancel those for you! When I say I’ll be here for you then I will! Just let me make you happy too!”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter