Chapter 23 : Meaning of Life

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 23 Meaning of Life

 

The most anticipated day has come. All eyes are attentive. All ears are lent. Focus is on one person, for the greatest musician of this generation, the known to be flawless performer. Not only the fans and media are on it, but also the general public whose attention and interests were hooked up by Chaeyoung’s unexpected fold of events in her life. This day won’t end without an answer from her.

 

When everyone’s having a mixed emotions of nervousness, excitement and anticipation, one of the most affected, Jennie, is having it worse, or not worst. Her restlessness kept her up, her anxiety kept her nerves all worked up and not a single second that her mind and heart were given an ease as she’s extremely occupied since the last time she heard Chaeyoung’s voice.

 

“Miss Jennie! Please stop!” The nurse warned her patient, yet she wasn’t regarded, instead she was pushed away.

 

“Don’t touch me! I need to go to the venue! I need to talk to Chaeyoung!” Jennie barked.

 

The commotion inside her room can be heard all the way to the busy hallway. And the approaching Lisa and Jisoo clearly heard Jennie’s roars and whines from the outside. Thus, they rushed in, only to find Jennie desperately crawling on the floor, trying to move on her own. She’s in tears and every push she does, her cries of frustration would resonate.

 

“Hey! Jennie! What the hell are you doing?” Jisoo quickly went to rescue her best friend and Lisa also hastily carried her up from the floor and put her back on the bed.

 

The nurse interrupted, worried as she reveals, “She’s been trying to escape after she had her lunch. She’s insisting she wants to go to Chaeyoung’s press conference scheduled today.”

 

“You know you cannot go there on your own! And moreover, we won’t let you go.” Lisa strictly warned Jennie who is breathless sitting up on her bed.

 

Out of frustration, Jennie slammed her weak hands countless times by her lap, releasing her emotions as she whines, “How can I not feel this way? Chaeng isn’t responding to my messages and calls at all ever since yesterday she called me. I can’t reach her manager either and it makes me so damn anxious! She told me not to worry about anything and trust her and yet she’s doing this to me?”

 

“Relax.” Jisoo said calm and sent the nurse away.

 

“Do you know anything about her plans?” Jennie confronted the two and both silently shook their head. “It’s impossible Chaeng didn’t tell you anything!” She then directed her wrath towards Lisa.

 

Lisa however denies, “I swear I don’t know anything! We did talk and all I know is about the press conference. I don’t know what she’s going to say or anything!”

 

“Then let me go and talk to her on my own!” Jennie insisted.

 

As she attempted to get out of her bed again, this time Jisoo forcibly pushed her down the bed, raising her voice to her best friend, “Jennie will you stop it already? You cannot even walk on your own! You cannot even help yourself!”

 

Lisa gasped and intently eyed on Jisoo as she lost her control for a moment right there. It was only then that Jisoo realized how offensive her words are when Jennie turned into a complete mum, shocked and offended she cannot even blink her eyes.

 

“Sorry…” Jisoo breathed and let her best friend go from her grip. “I didn’t mean to offend you. It’s just that I don’t know how to hold you back because knowing you, you’ll really insist on doing something you’re locked on to do.” She looked away in guilt.

 

Lisa bothered not to intervene with the best friend’s small argument as she just went to fix Jennie’s blanket and covered her body with it. Though she does have a deep idea of Chaeyoung’s purpose for the press conference, she doesn’t want the information to come out first from , rather Jennie should hear it from Chaeyoung herself. Hence, she zipped from telling more than necessary.

 

Jennie clenched her fist on her side and covered her reddening eyes with her other arm. “I know I cannot do anything in this condition. I know…” She cried, then she went on, “It’s that I’m also nervous and uneasy. What if Chaeyoung is going to leave me? I would understand if she does because I’m useless like this. I won’t blame her. It’s making me uneasy that she’s not responding to me anymore because she’s going to leave me.”

 

“Oh no, please don’t think like that. Trust Chaeng on this, okay? She got this and I’m certain she assured you too. Don’t let those negative thoughts distract you from how much my best friend treasures you.” Lisa immediately went to her side and held her trembling fist.  

 

Jisoo joined, caressing Jennie’s hair for a comfort, “Ella will be coming here later on. Chanyeol will be the one driving her here since no one is available in the company to get her. Fix yourself and smile for the young girl, at least.”

 

Jennie let her emotions tone down in silence but with her mind going on a traffic jam still. By heart, she is truly aware of Chaeyoung’s love for her and how deep it is. Nevertheless, by mind, all the demons and evils aren’t leaving her as they are giving her thoughts of Chaeyoung parting ways with her and how she hates it that she’s letting these thoughts take over her.

 

“I don’t want to lose her…”

 

On the other hand, the musician, Park Chaeyoung, is preparing for the most awaited event. Different from what was told to her that it will be held by the company’s small auditorium, the press conference is set up in a different venue, in a larger scale auditorium that can accommodate hundreds of media, not just tens of them. Despite the misinformation, Chaeyoung still proceeded.

 

She’s being prepared at the backstage. The make-up artists are giving her the best innocent look, stylists giving her what she requested, a smart casual look in a gray suit and black pants. While everyone’s nervous and panicky as the media is getting thicker inside the venue, Chaeyoung remained calm and composed in front of the dresser as if she’s all set up to everything.

 

“I heard from some staffs that the higher-ups purposely gave you the wrong information about the venue’s capacity and media attendance. Maybe they are hoping that you’ll back out the last minute.” The manager came in with a juicy information that he closely whispered.

 

Chaeyoung though smirked, “Well, breaking news; even if it’s in the middle of this Earth where the entire world’s population can press me, I won’t back out.”

 

“You really prepared for this day, huh?” The manager said and got a confident nod from her.

 

“There’s no turning back.”

 

Following not long after the manager came in is Ella, together with Chanyeol. There’s no smile on her lips as she rushed to Chaeyoung and immediately went in for a hug. The worry is written all over her face and so Chaeyoung gave Chanyeol a glance, and the latter only shrugged his shoulder for he as well is clueless of the young girl’s mood.

 

Once Ella let go, she asks straightaway, “Unnie, I heard what the executives are talking about outside. Is it true? Is everything that they’re telling about you true?”

 

Chaeyoung sighed. She knew Ella would know about her plans sooner or later either way, yet it somewhat disappointed her that she heard it from others. She signaled the team inside the room to go out except for Chanyeol who stayed behind from afar and watched them talk closely.

 

“Listen to me…” Chaeyoung held Ella by the shoulders as she knelt down to face her properly. “You know, your unnie right here just made one of her biggest decisions in her life. I don’t know what you exactly heard from my bosses chatting outside but whatever it is, I want you to trust me. Maybe you won’t understand everything or maybe you’ll get a gist of it but do know that I am doing this for us, for our family.”

 

“So it’s true.” Ella frowned. “Are you sure about this unnie?” She then asked.

 

Chaeyoung answers with the most confident smile ever, “Hundred percent.”

 

“Okay. I trust you unnie. As long as we’ll stay as a family after this…” Ella said so yet she’s still frowning.

 

And Chaeyoung cheers her up with a wider grin, “Of course! You don’t have to worry about anything because your Chaeng-unnie is sure that everything will be fine. And if you want, we can go far after this. Where do you want to go? Do you want to go back to America? We can stay there if you want to.”

 

Ella finally beams, “Really? We can stay in America?”

 

“Well, we’ll have to talk about that to your Jennie-unnie too. Why don’t you go and tell her? She’s waiting for you.” Chaeyoung kept her smile as she patted Ella’s head.

 

Ella hopped out of the room and Chanyeol being left with the musician, he offered, “Do you want me to be the one to tell Ella about Jennie’s exact condition while we’re on the way to the hospital? The young girl might be shocked if she’ll see Jennie and will only find out there.”

 

Chaeyoung easily agrees, “Yes, please. I’ll leave that to you. I wanted to tell her last night but she was all smiles and looking forward to play with Jennie and I ended up being a coward again. I didn’t want to ruin her mood. And besides, Ella has this puppy crush on you so I bet she’ll listen to you quickly and she’ll calm down if it’s you.”

 

“Okay, I got it.”

 

“Sorry I got you dragged in all of this mess.” Chaeyoung apologetically said before letting the man make his exit.

 

Chanyeol though simply grinned back at her, “All the best for you, greatest musician.”

 

Chaeyoung was left alone inside the dressing room for her to compose and prepare herself. She looked at her own figure in front of the full-body mirror and her mind went on a memory lane. How she grew up, how she managed to survive all those difficult days when she was younger and until to the present time when she’s all grown up knowing her priorities in life, all of these thoughts barged inside her mind yet it gave her a good giggle on herself.

 

“Look at you, Park Chaeyoung. You were just a hopeless orphan back in the days and now you’re raising a child and loving the best woman. You sure did learn and grow up a lot. I’m proud of you.” Chaeyoung chuckled as she poised and talked to no one but towards herself.

 

Later, the manager gently knocked, “Chaeyoung? It’s time. Are you ready?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

Chaeyoung took a deep breath as she walked out of the dressing room. The staffs all smiled at her for a good luck as she walked pass by them, but not some of the executives whose eyes are sharply darting at her until she disappeared from their sight. She cannot please every single person in the end.

 

The time has come. From behind the curtains, Chaeyoung saw the thick number of media already ready with their cameras and there’s her table in the middle of the platform where she’s set to stand in front of the world. She didn’t let herself be overwhelmed and by holding onto this handmade necklace that Jennie personally made only for her, she recomposed her resolves for this huge day.

 

With just one step out, the cameras started flashing all over, almost blinding Chaeyoung on her way to the center. The once quiet venue became a feast, as if they are so eager to eat their prey that appeared before them. The world’s eyes are on her as the live coverage all over the television and social media have started to flash as well.

 

Chaeyoung stood there before them with her head high, eyeing on each of the camera professionally. “Behind these cameras is Jennie watching me and expecting from me too. This shouldn’t be wrecking me.” She said at the back of her mind to keep herself calm and composed.

 

It took so much time before the media toned down from taking photos, but it never really stopped even until she took a sit and placed the microphone in front of her. She’s definitely used of facing the media and all. She’s a professional in every aspect, but it’s only today she has to face them with the biggest revelation in her life.

 

“First of all, thank you so much for coming today despite the cold weather outside.” Chaeyoung started and the cameras began flashing nonstop again. “Thank you for giving me your time so I can address everything that has been going on recently.” She went on and chewed in as her nervousness somewhat disturbed her.

 

“Chaeyoung, you can do that.” The uneasy manager prayed from behind the curtains, joined by the team that has been beside Chaeyoung throughout her career.

 

Chaeyoung released a long breath as she goes on, “Like what everyone has been seeing all over the internet, the newspapers, tabloids and basically everywhere, I was photographed with a special someone I hold dear to me during a moment I treasure so much.”

 

The media present gasped and the collective murmurs became so loud. They immediately published articles left and right, reported live on the breaking news like it’s some kind of an important matter for the nation’s knowledge. “Park Chaeyoung confirmed that it was her and Jennie Kim on the photos circulating online, labelling the nanny as her special someone.’ This is the headline that majority wrote.

 

This instantly gained various comments and reactions from fans and mere listeners to her creations and music. ‘Ah~ so that was really her who was waiting in the park the entire day.’; ‘It’s obvious it was her. Why is everyone overreacting? We need to fast forward to the best part.’; ‘Our Chaeyoungie must be so sweet at home with that nanny. Imagine how they spend quality time together.’; ‘Do we need to know all of this?’

 

In this sea of various reactions everywhere, Jennie who is tuned in and attentive to every word was stunned in her bed, sitting up to pay more attention. The sincerity in Chaeyoung’s eyes, unaffected by the intimidating number of media and the genuine tone, yes, Jennie can pinpoint all of those by just looking at her through a television screen. She loves her this much she just knows.

 

“Relax. Chaeyoung got this.” Jisoo hissed as she noticed how Jennie’s eyes aren’t blinking anymore and completely glued on the television while Chaeyoung isn’t saying a word yet.

 

Chaeyoung glanced over to her manager and she was given a nod and a thumbs up, telling her she’s doing just fine, thus she confidently proceeds, “However, today, I’m going to talk about more than just that, more than just how my privacy was invaded and more than just the issues circulating everywhere.”

 

The media’s ears turned wider at her unexpected remark. When everyone thought she’ll focus on addressing on one issue, she wanted to tell something bigger and it seems worth the wait. Hence, the anticipation grew larger and the audience’s curiosity got hooked up even more.

 

“I’ll start with something that the world probably don’t know about me yet. With all this information about me being publicized throughout the years in my career, there’s one thing that I’ve never opened up, not even to my closest friends.” Chaeyoung said.

 

Even Lisa was confused of this statement, her best friend for years who thought she knows everything already. No matter how much she thinks of this, there’s no recollection of Chaeyoung hiding something from her and indeed, this is something new even to her that she tended closer towards the television to hear more from her.

 

“I was discovered and casted while performing with my guitar on a program when I was young, when I had nothing but playmates that disappear almost every week because either they get adopted or they get transferred to another institution, and caretakers from the orphanage were there. I was so young I needed adults’ advises on what I should do, whether to accept the company’s offers or not. After weeks, I accepted the offer, to be trained and become a star in the entertainment world. Back then, I had many reasons why I wanted to join the industry. First, I wanted to enhance my skills in music which the company helped me with and I am thankful. Then, I wanted to showcase my talents and help the aspirants too, become an inspiration to the younger generation, to give hope to them that even an independent little girl can dream big. I also want Ella to know that too. However, there’s one more reason that no one knows yet.” Chaeyoung kicked off and halted before the disclosure.

 

Jennie tensed in her bed for even she doesn’t know where this is going yet with this kind of start. She does know how Chaeyoung started and how she gradually climbed up to the top from being a simple orphan to a brightest star. Yet, the next thing is what Jennie is anxious of, for just like Lisa, she knows nothing about.

 

“I think there’s a lot of things I have to ask her…” Jennie sighed.

 

And Jisoo just smiled, “Of course you do.”

 

Chaeyoung rubbed her palms together under the table as her body was shaken up for a moment. But she didn’t let this stop her as she goes on with her revelation, “As a young girl seeking the love from her parents, as a young girl who never experienced how to feel the love from a family, as a young girl who is curious and cares about how my parents possibly look like, if I have any siblings or none, at some point in my life I desired to find them. And so, my young mind back then thought, ‘why don’t I enter the entertainment world, use my real name and appear in front of the camera as much as I can? Maybe that way, my parents would recognize me still, they’ll be able to see me everywhere and they would come back to me and I’ll accept them with open arms, be proud of me and look at me with love.’ Yes, one of my ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter