Chapter 3 : Meet Again

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 3 Meet Again  

Similar to any responsible mother, a guardian or a sister, Chaeyoung fetched her little girl from school and together they drove back home as they jammed to the song on the car’s radio. The sun is still setting when they managed to get back home, bubbly and hyperactive as always whenever they are together. And this has been their almost day-to-day routine every weekdays throughout the year that Ella started living under Chaeyoung’s roof.

 

“We’re home!” Chaeyoung announced to their expansive yet empty home. Followed by Ella from behind as they remove their shoes by the doorsteps, she asks, “What do you want for dinner? I’ll cook some for us.”

 

Ella however rejects and shows a huge grin rather than a frown of disappointment, “It’s okay unnie. You don’t have to prepare anything. Let’s just order take-outs from our favorite restaurants.”

 

“I was actually thinking that maybe at least for tonight, I can cook for you. We always eat take-outs and it’s unhealthy. At least once in a while, let me cook for you too.” Chaeyoung insisted as she proceeded straight to the kitchen just after she tossed her brown coat on the couch.

 

Ella followed her and again and watches her ramming through the remaining foods stored in their gigantic fridge. “Unnie, aren’t you tired though? You came from a meeting with your producers today. You had a long day at work and moreover, you still went to fetch me at school. I’m sure that’s stressful so please don’t strain yourself too much.” She frowned upon noting that apparent fatigue written on Chaeyoung’s face, her cheeks that are falling and those heavy sighs that come after.

 

Chaeyoung turned back to her and knelt down to look at her straight in the eyes. “You know this unnie of yours will be busy soon and I’m afraid I won’t be around with you as much as I want to. So, let me do this for you, okay?”

 

“If you insist…” Ella glowered. “Just don’t strain yourself too much. A simple dinner will do.” She added.

 

“Good. Now go get changed while I cook for our dinner. I’ll try to make your favorite ones you used to have when you were younger.” Chaeyoung simply smiled at her with a pat on the head to comfort her.

 

As Ella locked her room, a long heavy breath came out from Chaeyoung. Like what Ella said, she is indeed drained but with just one slap on her cheek, she’s back fully-awaked. She put her apron on, tied her blonde hair up and she put her focus back to her work. She thinks that if it’s for Ella, then this exhaustion means nothing and she can risk another night to be worn out.

 

This day-to-day togetherness isn’t a new routine for them. They start their day together and they would end their day together as well. Chaeyoung does all the chores that Ella cannot do with her age, while the latter does her homework from school obediently. However, with Chaeyoung’s upcoming comeback which is being anticipated widely, their daily lifestyle is starting to take a major shift.

 

While she beats the egg into a bowl, her phone buzzed from the dining table as she’s getting a call from her manager. “Oppa, Ella and I got home safe. I know you called because you wanted to check on us as always.” She immediately reported the moment she answered and put it on loud speaker so she can multi-task.

 

“Well yeah. I called to check on you but there’s something more important that I have to relay to you actually. We would want to introduce to you Ella’s nanny. We did the screening last time as ordered from the higher-ups and we luckily found one.” The manager informed and got Chaeyoung stop from cooking.

 

“You already found one? That’s fast.” The amazed Chaeyoung commented. “So, who’s this person? I need to know a bit of the background so I’d know how to greet too. It would be rude if I can’t say a thing when we meet.” She demanded and lends her full ears for the upcoming introduction.

 

“Her name is Jennie Kim, she’s a year older than you and she’s just a high school graduate.” The manager started and Chaeyoung kept nodding her head while grasping every information. “Lisa was the one who recommended her and after a thorough interview, we were satisfied that she’s the best for the job. She has a lot of experiences and she easily understood all the rules we told her. She knows about you through the internet and nothing more than that. She seems not to be a fan of yours as well but not an anti-fan either. She’s focused on doing her jobs so she has no time for anything else.”

 

“Wait…” After all those words, Chaeyoung was caught up with one bizarre data. “This Jennie Kim is Lisa’s friend? How come I don’t know about her? As far as I can remember, Lisa always introduce all of her friends to me, even those random women she used to hook up with on clubs back in the days. Why is it that I never knew about this woman?” She’s confused and was put in deep thoughts trying to think who this Jennie is.

 

“You’ve been busy and stressed lately. Maybe you’re just forgetting names and besides, Lisa has a bunch of friends even outside her career. Even her fans are her friends sometimes so it’s no surprise if you’ll forget one or two names.” The manager said to convince Chaeyoung from moving on to the topic.

 

Though still quite disturbed, Chaeyoung again demands and continues on cutting the kimchi, “Okay, continue. I want to know more about this new nanny…”

 

 And so the manager goes on, “The two of you have something in common too, even with Ella…”

 

“What is it?”

 

“She doesn’t have parents and she lives alone.” The manager openly said it brought Chaeyoung into a stun, pausing from whatever she’s doing. She responded nothing with this and hence the manager goes on explaining further, “Jennie’s parents died just when she’s in high school and since then, she has to pay a lot of debts and loans made by her parents when they were still alive and all of that were left to her. She has to pay millions plus her rents and her daily needs, that’s why she has been working nonstop to live. They used to be quite rich owning a night bar, according to our own background research but they went on a downfall. As a result, she cannot live a day without having a job and she badly needed one after being fired from her previous work. She seems pleasing and surprisingly pretty too if you ask me. The executives were also convinced she’s the perfect one for the job.”

 

Though Chaeyoung was quiet the entire briefing, she heard all of it crystal clear. The world knows almost her entire past after being in the music and entertainment industry for years. The world knows she never had an easy past, never had an extravagant life and never had a privileged type of living before getting into the industry. The world knows she strived to be in this position with her own hard work and passion.

 

“Jennie Kim, huh… she probably knows about my past too since it’s everywhere in the internet. Will we really get along well just because we both don’t have parents?” Chaeyoung sighed doubtful.

 

“I think she’s the best one too because who knows, she might be able to understand you and Ella when it comes about struggles of being alone. You won’t have a hard time adjusting around her.” The manager shared his thoughts but got no response from Chaeyoung, instead he only heard her chopping at the board.

 

Chaeyoung closed her eyes to recollect her thoughts back as her mind inevitably flashed back to her not-so-colorful past and breathed deep to close the talk, “Anyway, I’ll meet her first hour tomorrow. I have to see it myself if she can be the right person to take care of Ella. I have to be careful about it too.”

 

“You hired a nanny?”

 

Chaeyoung was alarmed at Ella’s presence just a meter away from the table she’s working at. She immediately ended the call upon noting how her expression darkened and how her eyes are fuming. Chaeyoung knew Ella doesn’t like the idea and it’s more evident now with these fists she’s clenching on her sides while obviously gritting her teeth tight behind her closed mouth. 

 

Chaeyoung walked to her and as she bent down, she carefully speaks, “Ella, listen to me, please…”

 

“I heard everything!” Ella shouted into Chaeyoung’s face. “Your company hired a nanny for me! I don’t like it! I don’t need anyone! I’m not a baby anymore! I can take care of myself! We don’t need anyone else unnie! I'll be fine on my own while you’re at work! I can go to school alone! I will learn to cook my meals so you don’t have to worry! Unnie, please, I don’t want a nanny!” She desperately begged in between her sobs as she cries.

 

“I know, dear… I know you’re a strong girl and I’m always proud of you for being one. However, please do understand too that I have to do this for you. If I won’t, then they will take you—“

 

“No!” Ella didn’t let her finish as she cut her off with another bark. “I hate you Chaeng-unnie!” She yelled last and ran back to her room after slamming her door closed.

 

Chaeyoung is helpless on the spot, and all she can do is to sigh for the thousandth time. She cannot get herself to be angry at Ella, or even raise her voice on her for being cheeky. She wants to understand where this young girl is coming from. She wants to be there for her when she’s confused and totally lost just like now. Thus, she’s mummed with Ella’s rude actions she manifested.

 

“Kids these days are also experiencing mood swings already, I guess…” Chaeyoung is deserted and can only roll her eyes and go back on cooking, perhaps this time for herself as Ella will definitely sulk for a long time.

 

It’s dusk when Jennie received a formal message coming from Chaeyoung’s manager, wherein it’s stated Chaeyoung’s wish to meet her personally and how her employment process will also be discussed tomorrow. She read this message while staying idle at Jisoo’s workplace, standing by the store’s back office and getting all enthusiastic in her seat as she finally got a job she desperately needs.

 

“You got in?” Jisoo asked as she caught her wiggling her hands while beaming so wide it could reach up to her ears.

 

Jennie nods eager, “I made it unnie! I just received a message from Chaeyoung’s manager asking me to go back to the company tomorrow!”

 

“Don’t get too excited yet!” Jisoo warned and this halted Jennie’s celebration. She went to sit beside her and clarifies strict, “Wait until you have your contracts signed, wait until you get Park Chaeyoung’s approval and wait until everything’s confirmed. You have to keep your guards up until all is well.”

 

“Yes unnie. I understand.” The obedient Jennie bowed down apologetic for her premature delight.

 

Jisoo rested her back on her seat and expresses her surprise, “But wow, I can’t believe you’re going to be working with someone as popular as Chaeyoung. Plus, you were recommended by a supermodel. You sure are a lucky lady, Jennie. Your salary will surely be high since those kinds of people have a lot of confidential matters that you need to keep inside your .”

 

“I never thought I’ll be lucky too unnie.” Jennie also acknowledged and having this smile on her lips. But as soon as the reality hits her, she turns serious expounding, “I’m excited but also nervous since I haven’t actually seen this young girl living with Chaeyoung. Her images aren’t clear in the internet and the company didn’t show me any photos of her yet. I’m going to be this girl’s nanny but I have no idea what kind of person she is.”

 

Jisoo takes out her phone and searched for Chaeyoung’s data. Once it appeared on her screen, she shared it to Jennie and reads with her, “Look, Chaeyoung met that young girl back when she was promoting in America last year. According to some sources, this girl doesn’t have parents and Chaeyoung was close to the family so she decided to take her. She’s the reason why Chaeyoung took a year off and also, Chaeyoung said in one of her interviews that she’s in the process of legally adopting her…”

 

Jennie checks these information she hasn’t come across with for herself and some deeper information are left a mystery. Looking at these facts only formed questions inside Jennie’s head. How did the girl lose her parents? Why is Chaeyoung close to that family? Why did they let Chaeyoung take the girl? Who is this young girl that Chaeyoung is so willing to adopt her even? Jennie is being struck by these questions and it could only multiply if she thinks of it deeper into a complex matter.

 

“Just when I thought I know Park Chaeyoung a lot from the basic researches I did…” Jennie realized and disappointed at herself for not knowing more. “These famous people sure got a lot of secrets they hide under their sleeves. Now I’m more nervous…” She worriedly stated.

 

And Jisoo follows up, “You do know Chaeyoung grew up without parents too, right? At least you should know that.”

 

“Of course I know unnie. It’s all over and even made it on news when she was thriving with her last album before she went on hiatus. She grew up in an orphanage and managed to get into music industry after being discovered by the company’s exclusive producer. If I can remember it right, she was singing for a program that the orphanage conducted and that’s when she was discovered…” Jennie recalled the best she can while looking straight up the ceiling.

 

“You’re right but as you said, popular people like Chaeyoung, they got deep secrets. No one knows more than anything than these pieces of information she shared and posted in the internet. I’m sure there’s more behind the cameras…” Jisoo warned, giving Jennie more questions in her head that’s not making anything better for her nervousness.

 

“No wonder why they’re so strict during my interview because I’m going to be with these kinds of people. Damn this is going to be hard.” Jennie grumbled and got her face buried under her folded arms by the table.

 

Jisoo chuckled at her reaction and so she can only give her a pat she always does to her when worried, “You’ll do just fine. Just think about the pros of taking this job and not the cons. They won’t dare to consider you for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter