Chapter 4 : Job Starts

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 4 Job Starts

 

The car’s radio is playing Chaeyoung’s hit song accompanied by her favorite instrument, the acoustic guitar. Because her comeback was announced, her songs from her last album is being played all over the country again, from radio stations, online streaming sites and even local broadcasts are using it. Almost everyone, the general public, as can be seen on the streets from inside the running car, is jamming to her songs.

 

Despite how loud Chaeyoung’s songs are resonating everywhere, Jennie hears none of these for her ears are blocked by her loud heartbeats thumping against her chest. As they are getting closer to their destination, the more her heart explodes in beats. She’s never been this anxious and nervous before, and now that it’s happening, it’s draining the hell out of her in this sunny morning.

 

“Don’t be nervous. It’s not that Chaeyoung will eat you alive in their place. She’s actually waiting for you to arrive later on.” The manager, who is carefully driving Jennie to her destination, had to speak as he noted Jennie’s uneasy gestures at the back seat.

 

“Have you been there? Have you met Ella? How is she? Is she a good girl? Or is Chaeyoung strict in the household? Do you think they will be hard on me? Are they nice?” Jennie asked reserved yet nonstop with her concerns out of her anxiousness.

 

The manager burst out laughing at her queries, “Relax. Chaeyoung is as nice as what and how you see her on televisions in real life. You’ve met her last week so you should probably have a little gist of her personality already.”

 

“That’s the problem. We didn’t have a good first encounter and we don’t really like each other. I doubt if she’ll be nice to me.” Jennie mumbled under her breath.

 

As the manager didn’t hear her remarks, he went on sighing as he reveals, “Your problem might be Ella though.”

 

Jennie leaned closer to the driver’s seat as she was alarmed by this unexpected revelation, “Why? Is Ella a problem child? Is she a brat?”

 

“Well…” The manager was reluctant at first and Jennie uses her sparkling eyes to lure him to spill it out which he can see through the front mirror. “…it’s not that she’s a problem child. She’s also nice and lovely. It’s just that she doesn’t approve of having a nanny to take care of her. She has been sulking from Chaeyoung since she found out she’ll have a nanny.” He was forced to say more.

 

“Then why was I still hired if Ella herself is against it?” Jennie asked.

 

“Chaeyoung said so and it’s needed.” The manager replied short for her concern. “Anyway, it’s part of your contract not to ask more than what’s being told to you or anything that’s out of your job. You’ll be there as a nanny and handle Ella, not to gather personal and private matters. Unless Chaeyoung or Ella tells you something more than what you know and see through the internet, then you’re allowed to ask more information from them. It might sound rude from us but it’s needed as a precaution especially that Chaeyoung’s comeback is going to happen soon. We just don’t want unnecessary rumors to spark before her return to the music industry. I hope you understand. Sorry.” He expressed as humble as possible not to offend Jennie.

 

“Oh, I see. I understand. I’m sorry too.” Jennie grasped quick of the circumstance and went back in her own wide space at the back seat.

 

Jennie’s mind cannot be at peace as they are nearing to Chaeyoung’s condominium. For her, the time feels like it’s moving a lot faster than the usual and it isn’t a good sign for her, more now that she found out Ella isn’t in favor about her as a nanny. She can feel an unpleasant first meeting with Ella is about to come, like how it went with Chaeyoung.

 

“Like mother, like daughter, huh… this is going to be a wild job…” Jennie thought, referring Chaeyoung as Ella’s mother for she experienced a first bad encounter with Chaeyoung and she’s about to expect the same from Ella.

 

Saving her from wild thoughts that’s only giving her anxiety is Jisoo, calling her at such an opportune time she needs her the most. “Where are you? Have you arrived at Chaeyoung’s place?” She asked when Jennie only answered with a whine.

 

“We’re on the way and I think we’re almost there and I’m not really feeling good unnie.” Jennie whispered on the phone so the manager will stay unaware while he drives. “I was just told that Ella is against having a nanny. Chaeyoung and I don’t have a good start. How will I end up and turn out living under the same roof with them?” She further mumbled breathlessly.

 

She heard Jisoo laughing from the other line, “Jennie, you’ve been into a lot of jobs. Being a nanny should be just a piece of cake for you already. Don’t let Chaeyoung’s popularity and fame put the pressure down on you. I know you don’t like her a hundred percent and she’s like your worst enemy at the moment but it’s that little girl you’re going to serve all the time. Not her.”

 

“You’re right unnie. I should only worry about Ella. Besides, Chaeyoung will be always out and busy with her recordings and schedules so I won’t see her a lot too. I’ll try to act fine around her.” Jennie convinced herself, patting her own shoulders so her confidence can be back into her.

 

“I still can’t believe you’re really going to stay with them. At least, you’ll be able to sleep in a more comfortable space and live under a better roof while you work. You’ll eat delicious foods with them. And surely, her jealous fans might be tailing on you too.” Jisoo claimed.

 

Jennie for the first time of the day, she smiles, “I know right. I have to be careful too and do my job well so I won’t get fired.”

 

“Call me anytime you need anything, okay? I might be busy at work too but know that I’m always here for you. You can depend on me all the time, always remember that.” Jisoo had to remind as she’s somehow worried for her.

 

“I will unnie.” Jennie replied short and ended the call as the manager gave her the signal that they are almost there.

 

Jisoo wasn’t given a chance to say goodbye. This doubled her worries for Jennie that it became difficult for her to focus on her job on supervising the store. She had always known Jennie as strong and resilient, a fighter and an independent woman. Yet, Jisoo can tell even with just the tone of her voice that Jennie is bothered and heavily burdened with her new job as a nanny.

 

“Her bad blood with Chaeyoung is making her nervous. I hope she’ll be fine working with her.” Jisoo concluded and let out a heavy sigh.

 

“Good morning!” Jisoo was startled when the cashier from the counter area suddenly greeted a customer who came in. She is in between the display racks of the items and she’s in the midst of checking when the cashier started to squeal right after that greeting and her noise almost made her deaf.

 

“Hey, what’s the problem? Why are you making such noise? The customers might not want to come in anymore!” Jisoo went to check it herself but she’s greeted by this familiar customer yet at the same time someone she wouldn’t expect to meet on a broad daylight.

 

“Good morning.” The customer excitedly hopped towards Jisoo. “I’m Li—“

 

“Lisa yes I know. This is the second time you’ll visit here.” Jisoo cut her off and she had to pull her all the way to the back office as more customers can be seen coming in. As they settled behind closed door, she then interrogates the supermodel, “You’re really brave coming here without too much disguise on you on a daylight. If people happened to see you and recognize you from the outside, you’ll end up closing down the entire shop the whole day and the owner will definitely scold me.”

 

“Sorry… I wasn’t really thinking well…” Lisa grinned timid.

 

And this gave Jisoo the thought of, as she glares at her face, “Jennie was right when she told me that she’s easy-going. It’s hard to tell if it’s fan service or it’s really her personality.”

 

“Anyway…” Lisa resumed on talking and put Jisoo’s attention back to her. “I came here to ask about Jennie Kim. I don’t really have much information about her. I don’t know much about her yet. But I remember I first met her in this shop…” She began explaining.

 

Jisoo however raises an eyebrow, finding her odd, “Excuse me but why are you looking for my best friend?”

 

“Ah~ I see. So, Jennie is your best friend.” Lisa nodded in realization. “I’m actually worried for her. I just came back from overseas schedules and I was wondering if I can ask someone to tell me how she is. Chaeyoung isn’t answering my calls and I think she might be tied up on talking to Ella and I don’t have anyone else to ask about her. I forgot to get Jennie’s number too so I can’t possibly call her.” She extended her worries.    

 

Yet this only gave Jisoo more and deeper muddle, “Chaeyoung is your best friend, right? Why don’t you just go there so that you can personally check on Jennie? And why are you this extremely worried for my best friend that you immediately find a way to check on her?”

 

Lisa showed a shade of red on her cheeks and awkwardly looked away from Jisoo’s suspicious gazes. She moved around the back office and desperately changed the topic, mentioning, “You’re surprisingly a straightforward kind of person too like your best friend. Moreover, you don’t seem thrilled or excited being around me.”

 

Jisoo scoffs while her eyes follow Lisa’s movements around, “It’s because you’re used of having your fangirls and fanboys screaming and cheering on you all the time. Well, breaking news for you, I’m not like those people who would melt to see you. Truly, you’re pretty though, but it’s only that I got no interest with famous people at all. We’re both humans who work hard to earn and live by the end of the day. Jennie and I have this same kind of mindset.”

 

“I see. Then I’m glad to hear that.” Lisa beamed and went close to Jisoo to shake her hand which she just grabbed without permission. “I’m so happy to meet another person like Jennie! I’m really this delighted whenever I meet someone out from work who isn’t a fan of me!” She then said so excited her giggles are escaping from her smile.

 

“You’re really weird.” Jisoo couldn’t be more confused.

 

“Let’s be friends uhh—“ Lisa’s smile turned timid as she doesn’t know how to address her.

 

Though finding her strange, Jisoo still chose to introduce herself, “It’s Kim Jisoo.”

 

“Okay, Jisoo. That’s it. Thank you so much for today.” Lisa kept her beam wide and Jisoo had to remove her hand from her as she’s still shaking it rapidly with her tight grip.

 

Lisa may be different from what others expect from a supermodel. Her personality is completely far from those typical supermodels who would be so sensitive around normal people like Jisoo. She gets along well and adjust pretty fast with everyone and everything around her. She may be wearing high-class brands and have a porcelain skin underneath her clothes but she isn’t afraid to hold Jisoo’s rough hands due to bunch of works she has been handling.

 

Because of this, Jisoo assumed Lisa can be trusted as a friend, if that’s how she wants them to be. Hence, she answers Lisa’s worries late, “I am also worried about Jennie. I heard that Ella is still against the plan of having a nanny around their home. However, knowing Jennie, she’ll get over her apprehensions soon. Jennie is a strong independent woman so rest assured she’ll be fine with your best friend. And I bet Chaeyoung wouldn’t let things get worst too.”

 

“Jennie is that kind of woman as expected. I guess there’s nothing to worry about too much then.” At last, Lisa found relief and exhaled long to release the stress she gained from worrying since she arrived back.   

 

“Hey… by any chance…” Jisoo started doubt and leaned to stare at Lisa’s hazel eyes that twinkle as she thinks of Jennie.

 

Lisa was caught off guard with Jisoo’s closeness to her face she needed to step back and again counters back fast, “I h-have to go Jisoo…”

 

She brought out her face mask and bucket hat from her sling bag to cover her entire face as she recklessly dashed out of the convenience store and faster than sound, she drove away using a company car. Jisoo didn’t bother chasing her anymore because for her, Lisa’s actions and that apparent blush on her face gave it all away to form a conclusion.

 

“She’s obviously interested with Jennie. Gosh, my best friend really caught a big one. And she isn’t even using honorifics but I think that doesn’t matter. She said we’re friends anyway.” Jisoo only laughed at it and went back to work with lesser worries in her chest after being able to take it all out to Lisa.

 

Meanwhile, Jennie was dropped off by the manager in front of Chaeyoung’s door. For all she thought she will be oriented and guided all the way inside by him but she was left all alone, to ring the doorbell on her own. She stood in front of the door feeling baffled on what to do. Not only that it’s her first time to be in such a luxurious area, but also the fact that she never really worked for a prominent person and in addition, living together with such person.

 

“Whatever, I’m here to work. I have to do this to pay all the debts. I’m here so I can earn and have foods on my table. I’m here to work on my salary and have a better life. Nothing more, nothing less. I should stop being bothered with the tiniest thing. This isn’t the right time.” Jennie talked to herself, convinced her heart to stop hammering her chest and encouraged her mindset to get straight.

 

Jennie pressed on the doorbell twice and waited for a jumpy one minute before Chaeyoung opened the door for her. Right at that moment, their eyes met once again after a one long week. Jennie hitched a breath and never looked away from Chaeyoung’s intimidating eyes and as if her height would eat her petite figure alive. Chaeyoung stayed hush for a while as she glared at Jennie and the latter got not a single idea what’s running through her mind.

 

“H-Hi… the manager dropped me off and told me to just ring your doorbell.” Jennie started a little edgy.

 

“Come in.” Chaeyoung said monotonous and showed Jennie the way inside.

 

Jennie’s mouth went wide, surprised on how spacious her home is. There isn’t too much furniture and not too much decorations hanging around. Her awards and trophies were neatly placed on the glass display in the living room. The kitchen is wide enough for her to cook without problems. There are three rooms and she’s guessing at the back of her mind that the separated one from the other side will be hers. Everything’s too neat and organized that Jennie thought there’s nothing for her to work on too much.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter