Chapter 17 : Price to Pay

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 17 Price to Pay

 

An unfamiliar scent of a room, this is what Lisa first sensed the next morning. She opened her eyes and found a plain white ceiling above her, definitely new to her. Her head rings, giving her severe headache as she attempted to move her body. And later she’s able to grasped that she’s wrapped under a pink blanket that isn’t hers, on a single cranky bed that absolutely isn’t hers either.

 

“Good morning Miss Heartbroken Supermodel.”

 

Lisa moved her blurry vision and found Jisoo by the door, holding a tray of hot porridge, water with hangover medicines that came along with it. Slowly her mind is coming into one piece as she carefully sat up on the bed, realizing she’s inside a small narrow room packed with snacks on the bedside table and scattered various things on the floor. 

 

“Where am I?” Lisa grunted, massaging her temples.

 

Jisoo sat on the bedside, explaining straight into her face, “You’re in my place. You’re in my room and that’s my bed you slept on. I was about to go to my work last night when you called me all of a sudden, drunk in the nightclub. You passed out when I was still talking to you and I left your car in there since I don’t have license to drive. There’s no one to ask help from and I got no extra money to leave you in a five-star hotel either. So, I decided to take you back home.”

 

Though her head still buzzes, she sat there recollecting every piece of memory from yesterday. She was with Jennie. She confessed and was rejected. She couldn’t accept that fact and so she ran to her favorite nightclub. She got herself drunk, almost becoming careless on the dance floor. She needed someone to lean on and so she called her most trustworthy friend she can pick on her phonebook aside from Chaeyoung, and that’s Jisoo.

 

“Jennie…” Lisa frowned. “…she rejected me yesterday that’s why I went to the club.” She muttered and covered her face with her cold palms.

 

“I know. You had said it in your sleep too, on how Jennie rejected you.” Jisoo rolled her eyes and went up to get Lisa’s needs ready. “I prepared you some breakfast good for your headache and hangover medicines too.” She said.

 

“Was I wrong?” The downhearted Lisa asked, hoping to find better answers than her agitated mind has.

 

“What, liking and falling in love to someone? It’s not wrong.” Jisoo answered and going back to her side to give her foods, she eyed on her intently, “But to get drunk carelessly because you got rejected and almost cost you your entire career, that’s wrong. You’re so used of being accepted by random women that the rejection from someone you like so much hit you so hard.”

 

Lisa grimaced, “I just… didn’t know what to do anymore. It hurts so bad, even now.”

 

Lisa is too pitiful to stare at that Jisoo cannot take to look at her more than five seconds. Her eyes are swollen and if she goes out there and tell the world she’s the supermodel Lalisa Manoban, no one would believe as she looks wrecked and no one might recognize her in this situation. The poise and the image that a supermodel is supposed to have, it’s nowhere to be found as Lisa in her most vulnerable moment.

 

Jisoo had enough, and so she complains, “I will be frank to you, okay? I hate going on circles and prolonging such situation so I’ll tell you what’s on my mind.”

 

“Go on.” Lisa permitted while gazing straight down her lap covered under the blanket.

 

“It’s expected Jennie would reject you.” Jisoo expressed and Lisa lifted up her head to look at her. Hence, she goes on, “They have been together for many months now and they’re living together under the same roof while taking care of one child. It’s not supposed to be surprising anymore that either of them, or can be both of them, likes one another and developed feelings for each other. They’re both single when they met. No love interest before they met. What did you expect?”

 

Lisa clenched her fists against the blanket, grating, “I expected a little, at least. Because after all, Chaeyoung knew I like Jennie all along and I thought she would at least back off and give Jennie to me. Yet, she ended up feeling the same too. Even if she hasn’t said it, it’s obvious she likes her. Isn’t that unfair that I expected?”

 

“You cannot stop anyone from liking or falling in love to someone, just like how you followed yours when you confessed to Jennie that way.” Jisoo contended and her words sealed Lisa’s lips from arguing further.

 

“It… hurts.” That’s all Lisa could utter, gritting her teeth and locked her jaw tightly not to burst out in tears on such a sunny morning.

 

“I understand if you’re not ready to talk about them yet but at the same time I don’t know how deep it hurts you. Sorry if I went overboard for being straightforward.” Jisoo sighed. “Here, just have some breakfast before you start your day.” She then said and went on organizing her messy room.

 

Lisa looks up at her appreciative, “Thank you by the way. How can I repay you for saving my career back at the club?”

 

Jisoo threw a receipt on her, “Pay me the taxi fare I spent on you and also give me my one-day wage at work. I had to skip last night because of saving your drunk .”

 

“I will, don’t worry.” Lisa giggled and though it’s weak and somewhat forced, that’s the first stretch on her lips for the day. “And maybe you’d like to grab some free meals with me some other time?” She also offered.

 

And Jisoo hesitates no more, “I won’t say no to that because at least I won’t spend too much money on my daily meals for few days or months.”

 

“Deal.”

 

Jisoo gave her space as she walked out of the room and quickly tapped a message to her best friend, “Lisa just woke up. She seems a little bit better now. But I tell you, she’s not yet ready to talk with you or Chaeyoung. Give her some time to heal and I’m sure she’ll come to you herself.”

 

“I see. Thank you for looking after her unnie and sorry for the trouble.”

 

“Yeah, sure. Whatever. Just send my good luck to your musician lover. I hope she keeps winning and I hope she’s making it up to you and Ella.” Jisoo teased.

 

“She’s not YET my lover unnie. And yeah, she’s keeping up well and I’m happy. You don’t have to worry about me too much.”

 

For the following days, Chaeyoung kept her promises to Jennie. Every chance she gets, every split second she can separate herself from her hectic schedules, she never failed to give updates to Jennie and Ella, even just through short messages and at rare times, some long calls. She sends them photos they might want to see in addition.

 

Through the weeks she attended music shows and collected wins and trophies which she would immediately deliver at home so her family can have it. And whenever she gets back home, either at midnight or at dawn, Jennie ends up finding her either sleeping on the couch and on rare nights she’ll just be surprised as Chaeyoung is already cuddling her on the bed.   

 

“Unnie, are you okay? We’re almost at the music station.” Ella tugged her white shirt as Jennie seemed smiling all by herself in her seat.

 

Jennie’s senses came back as she felt Ella’s hand. She was in deep thoughts of their deepening relationship that she almost forgot where she is and where she’s going. Currently, she’s inside Chaeyoung’s van, the manager driving them to Chaeyoung’s location to attend a show where she’ll appear on and they are inching closer to their destination.

 

“Y-Yeah, I’m good.” Jennie forced a smile as she nodded.

 

Jennie had to erase her thoughts for a while in order to focus on what’s about to happen. They arrived at the location in no time, parking the car at the back of the building that’s away from anyone’s sight, particularly from the swarming fans outside the front entrance. And as soon as they stepped out of the van, Jennie began to feel heavy.

 

Walking everywhere the backstage are busy people. There are musicians, singers and personalities freely parading around while being fixed by their hair and make-up artists and a few lucky fans who got access backstage. All in high-class and all are well-dressed, even the mere crew of the artists are looking fashionable and oriented.

 

“Wait…” Jennie stopped midway after this scene bombarded her eyes.

 

The manager laced the visitors’ ID around her neck and guarantees, “This isn’t like the comeback party. Relax. It’s alright. Chaeyoung is expecting the both of you to watch her from the audience and no worries, we’ve reserved front seats and the fans won’t notice you there. You’ll be okay. You’re secured with us here.”

 

The great anxiousness brought Jennie into a severe headache which she felt upon moving forward. As a result, she fell straight down the floor and her legs went numb for quick seconds, causing her to unable to support herself from falling. It came unexpected but it also disappeared too sudden which also shocked Jennie herself that she couldn’t react immediately to the sensation.

 

“Unnie, are you alright?” Ella helped her up back on her feet.

 

“Yeah. I felt a bit light-headed. Let’s go.” Jennie responded yet it bothered her somehow.

 

Jennie decided not to lift her head to see all these good-looking people passing by around her until they’ve reached the door connecting them to the audience’s area. They were hastily guided to their seats as an idol group’s live performance is currently on-going, and thanks to this performance that their arrival on their seats went unnoticed.

 

“Ah! It’s Chanyeol-oppa’s group!” Ella excitedly pointed at the idol group performing good on stage.

 

Jennie watched them closely and definitely, they are one of the best groups out there and she isn’t surprised anymore on why a lot of women love them, especially Chanyeol. His charms remain the same even during a tough choreography and Ella went up on her feet to cheer on him even, showing how much she likes the man.

 

“You really like him for your Chaeng-unnie, huh?” Jennie bitterly remarked.

 

To which Ella returned confused, “Unnie, I never said I like him for Chaeng-unnie. Where did you get that?”

 

“Then why do you seem so happy and excited watching him?” Jennie questioned and raised an eyebrow as Ella’s cheeks grew pink. And later she realized, gasping, “Oh my God sweetie! Don’t tell me it’s you? You have a crush on Chanyeol?”

 

Ella sulks on her seat, “Is it bad?”

 

Jennie wanted to laugh but she constrained it as much as she can and ended up coming out as a snort. “It’s not bad to have crushes at your age but I’m quite surprised that it’s Chanyeol. I should have realized it sooner.” She then said and gave Ella some of her favorite candies to put that smile back on her lips.

 

It’s becoming clear for Jennie now on to why Ella was easily attached to the man during the comeback party. A huge sigh of relief came out from her as she realized that her assumptions were wrong all along, that Ella is starting to like the man for Chaeyoung instead. It’s as if a torn pricking her heart all this time finally came off.

 

“There he goes. Wave at him!” Jennie teased when Chanyeol looked at their way and the man did wave, causing Ella to shrink at her seat in embarrassment. “Ah, you’re so cute. I’ll ask Chaeng later on if you can hang out with him more.” She teased more but this time Ella looked up hopeful.

 

“Chaeng-unnie told me you don’t like him though.”

 

“Yeah but he seems to be a good man and you can play around with him.” Jennie permitted and Ella squealed in joy.

 

In the midst of their chitchats, Chaeyoung was called at last on stage as today’s main event. She had won the two previous awards on this music show and today is her last shot for the so-called Triple Crown, the highest achievement that this show can give for those who managed to get three consecutive wins.

 

“Chaeyoungie! Fighting!”

 

“We love you Chae!”

 

The fans cheered loud behind them and Jennie could go deaf anytime. Chaeyoung is looking good as always and Jennie is getting used to this side of her. She wears a city girl fashion, ripped jeans and a black vest that perfectly matched her blonde hair they permed a bit. Her fashion is also perfect for her long legs and tall figure as she’s equipped with a leather boot.

 

“Chaeng-unnie!” Ella shouted and her voice battled against the loud cheers as she’s getting ready for her stage after the commercial break.

 

Chaeyoung heard Ella’s voice amongst these noises and there in the front seat, she sighted her family that instantly eased her nervousness. Despite her collected fans swaying their light sticks and doing their pre-performance chants, Jennie and Ella’s applauds are the ones that stand out the most, their unconditional cheer she always needs at times like this.

 

“Good luck!” Jennie mouthed and also put up their light sticks for her, getting up on their seats to do the chants together with the fans.

 

The organizers gave her a cue and Chaeyoung put her game face on, a true professional. Because her tension was completely taken away by the presence of her family, she delivered her performance flawlessly, delighting the fans and most specially Jennie who witnessed the magical stage right before her glittering eyes in amazement.

 

But the battle isn’t going to end there and the loud deafening cheers didn’t last long as Chaeyoung remained on the stage for the MCs to announce this week’s top artist, also Chaeyoung’s third and last nomination for the music show.

 

“Please, let her win this.” Jennie closed her eyes, clasping her hands together as she prayed, same is through with Ella whose trembling hands are gripping tight on Jennie’s shirt while waiting for the announcement.

 

“This week’s winner is…” The MCs stepped in the front of the stage and showed the scoring board on the screen.

 

C

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter