Chapter 22 : Greatest Sacrifice

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 22 Greatest Sacrifice

 

It’s this white ceiling in a quiet space, the air conditioner brushing onto her exposed arms, the beeping sounds from the machines and the scent of antiseptics all over, Jennie gradually regained consciousness to these unknown matters around her as she’s laid weak and fragile in her hospital bed. Her eyes slowly opened wider and her vision eventually became clearer to recognize what’s around her more.

 

As Jennie is slowly redeeming herself from a long sleep, her body feels stiff and sore. She cannot move easily without grunting in discomfort as she uses a lot of force to move an arm. Her head feels heavy it took her so much effort to move it to the side, only to see Chaeyoung sitting on a chair while sleeping on her bedside with her face buried in her arms while holding her hand.

 

“Chaeng…” Jennie weakly called her out as she moved her hand that’s being held tight so she would be noticed. “Chaeng… wake up…” She called out a little louder, but her voice’s trembling as she only forced herself.

 

Chaeyoung immediately opened her eyes at Jennie’s delicate voice. She looked up and saw Jennie’s dreamy eyes ogling straight at her. At first she froze, thinking she was just dreaming but as she felt Jennie’s fingers moved against her hand she’s holding, eventually a huge grin formed on her lips realizing that all of this is real. Jennie has opened her eyes.

 

“You’re awake! Oh my God!” Chaeyoung breathed out huge and suddenly burst out in tears of joy, showing how ecstatic she is, caring not of the other conscious patients and staffs who can recognize her.

 

As much as she wants to dive in for an embrace and ultimately shower her with kisses all over, Chaeyoung held herself back as she has to keep in mind, Jennie is in a state where she cannot easily touch her yet. Thus, she only leaned in to kiss Jennie’s wrapped forehead and let her tears of happiness drip on the bandages. 

 

“What happened…?” Jennie breathed heavily under her oxygen mask.

 

“You’re in the hospital. We’re in the ICU right now. You just had your successful surgery. You’re asleep for more than a day and thank God you’re back to me.” Chaeyoung briefly explained for the fresh mind while caressing Jennie’s hair gently and directly looking into her eyes to reassure she’s safe and sound.

 

Chaeyoung called over some nurses to check while Jennie is in a hush for she’s trying to remember what exactly happened. She was serenaded in a garden of roses, a love was clearly spoken to her and right in that moment, she passed out. Everything right after that were all in a buzz, muddle, unknown until everything went into a complete darkness. The next thing she knew is that she’s here, head wrapped in a bandage and feeling disoriented.

 

“We’ll call for the doctor. Please refrain from moving the patient while you wait.” The nurse said as they instructed Chaeyoung who is so eager to have Jennie envelope in her arms again.

 

As they’re left alone again, Chaeyoung hastily tapped a message to all of their friends, informing the good news. Jennie isn't talking as much yet for she’s still in the midst of recollecting everything in her mind and assembling all of her scattered thoughts. And the moment she eventually grasped onto the situation she’s in, her eyes widened and nervously shifted her eyes on Chaeyoung.

 

“Chaeng, I—“

 

Chaeyoung closely hushed her, cupping her face as she smiles down at her, “You don’t need to explain. Let’s not talk about it anymore. What’s important is that you’re awake, you’re safe and that the operation was successful. So, don’t mind about what happened in the past anymore, okay?”

 

“But I…” Jennie attempted to utter an apology for hiding but once again silenced by a soft kiss on her cheeks.

 

“Relax and let’s get you checked.” Chaeyoung said softly so Jennie’s worries would tone down.

 

Soon, the doctor came and Chaeyoung was asked to step aside for a moment so they can thoroughly check on Jennie. The musician anxiously watched from a corner as the doctor scans Jennie’s condition, from her wrapped forehead checking the neatly stitched wound, her eyes if they are responding well to the lights, to her arms if she can feel their touch. Jennie responded to everything very well.

 

Jennie, however, still feels so weak that her voice isn’t coming out too well and only answered mostly by nodding or shaking her head. She’s uncomfortable in the bed being laid down straight like a robot being checked if she’s working or not. Hence, she attempted to move her legs to help herself shift her position a little. And this is where Jennie suddenly turned arrested and showed a bewildered expression at everyone.

 

Chaeyoung noticed the change of mood in her face, thus, she approached closer and asked worriedly, “Hey, what’s wrong? Do you feel something? Does it hurt anywhere? Tell us so the doctor will know.” 

 

Jennie intently eyed on her legs. She lifted her head up a little bit so she can look at her lower body better. Without saying a word and without asking for anyone’s help, she tried to move her legs once again on her own, yet she desperately failed. Using her entire force left in her fragile state, her legs did snap a bit but right after that, she felt drained and helpless.

 

The doctor observed her odd movements and so he excused himself to feel Jennie’s legs. “Jennie, do you feel this?” He asked, giving Jennie’s legs a little bit of pressure.

 

“I do.” Jennie replied positive but then tears suddenly started flowing out of her eyes nonstop when her legs started to shake as she frantically moved it an inch.

 

“I’m here. Tell me, what do you feel?” Chaeyoung restlessly asked as Jennie is strangely rejoining.

 

Jennie sobbed, “My legs… I can’t move them. I can’t move my feet. I… can’t fold my knees well. W-What’s happening? Chaeng… help me…”

 

The terror immensely grew into Chaeyoung and saw how Jennie is dreadfully trying to lift a leg up, only to end up shaking and failing to do so. Later, Jennie progressively started to panic in her bed as her cries became louder and louder each second, resonating all over the ICU. Her howls of fear demanding to move her lower body is getting severe that the nurses have to take her down carefully and having no choice, injected her to get back to sleep.

 

Chaeyoung just stood there helpless, perplexed of what just happened in a speed of light in front of her. She felt something died inside her as she witnessed Jennie in her most vulnerable state and failed to do something for her. She’s bewildered and remained there in her stand looking down at Jennie being held by the nurses on the bed until her eyes closed again.

 

“Are you okay?” The doctor tapped her by the shoulder.

 

And Chaeyoung snapped back to reality, “What just happened to her? Please tell me…”

 

The doctor asked Chaeyoung to talk outside of the ICU for him to further explain the situation. “You must be really shocked to see her like that.” He first said as he guided her to a room where he can explain properly, let her take a seat across him.

 

“Y-yeah… I…” Chaeyoung hardly spoke.

 

“It’s the most common effect after undergoing from a brain surgery. It’s expected that she’ll get confused, disoriented and frantic, especially that she just realized what happened to her. The whole situation is too overwhelming and perhaps she’s in a stage where she cannot accept it just yet. Most people who had undergone a major operation would react that way.” The doctor started to explain.

 

Chaeyoung then demands more, “What was that then? Jennie said she can barely move her legs which caused her to get anxious and panicky like that. I saw how her legs shake because she cannot move it so well.”

 

The doctor eyed on the musician for long seconds as he also composed himself before expressing, “When it comes to brain surgeries like this, post-surgery effects are highly expected. The most common ones is the disorientation which is an immediate symptom. And also, we have the long term effects. In some instances, there are patients who unfortunately loses their memories temporarily. There are ones who gets permanently paralyzed, sadly. For Jennie’s case, as what I’ve observed earlier, it seems like it’s her lower body that was affected.”

 

“Uhm… I still don’t quite understand. What exactly happened to her?” Chaeyoung glared at the doctor, still clueless and needed more explanation.

 

Hence, the doctor expounds, “Her muscles incredibly weakened, particularly by her legs. Thankfully, it’s not completely paralyzed because she is still capable of sensing touch and feel the stiffness. We even saw her moving it a little earlier, only that it took her the greatest effort. Which means, recovery is possible for her with the help of close monitoring therapy once she regained some of her strength. Let’s say, she can start her therapy a week from now.”

 

“How long will she stay this way? How long will she take before she recovers?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“A minimum of six months but it might take years if she won’t help herself and misses her therapy sessions. It takes time before she recovers completely. I’m so sorry to say this but she needs utmost care. I heard the patient doesn’t have a family to look after her and I’ve heard some rumors out there that… well…” The doctor hesitated to go on as he’s afraid he might go overboard.

 

Chaeyoung sensed where he’s going, so she speaks it herself, yet scowling at all the information she just absorbed, “You’re thinking I can’t take care of her because of my career, don’t you?”

 

“Frankly speaking, Jennie might need someone who can take care of her and watch over her closely, not just when someone has a free time on her. In short, she needs someone who can prioritize her. I’m not saying you can’t, but if you can, that would be great. But if it’s really impossible, then maybe she can stay in a facility so she can be closely monitored by caretakers instead of sending a therapist over at home every day.” The doctor openly said.

 

Chaeyoung lowered down her head and at the back of her mind she groans, “I already know what to do.”

 

“She’ll be monitored in the ICU until she wakes up again and we’ll transfer her to a private room once she’s stable. Rest assured that the hospital will carefully guard her too. We know how messy it is out there and our priority is the safety of our patients. Don’t worry.” The doctor settled.

 

“Thank you.” Chaeyoung barely voiced.

 

Chaeyoung drained in her seat and let the doctor go after being urgently called by the nurse. She sat there in deep thoughts and still registering every single information in her rumbled mind. She already had an idea of the surgery’s effects and she prepared herself for the worst case in order to keep herself together. However, witnessing Jennie struggling on that bed with her very own eyes, it’s breaking her apart.

 

As soon as she walked out of the room, she found her phone bombarded with missed calls and unread messages from her friends, even from her manager reminding her that he’s just on standby outside. And Chaeyoung rightfully called Jisoo first of all, the very first person aside from her who should know everything that’s going on with Jennie.

 

“Hey, how’s Jennie? I just got out of work and I’m on my way there, though I might take a little long.” Jisoo immediately said upon answering while she’s stranded on the train station.

 

The excitement in Jisoo faded when she heard the musician sighing and she’s certain there was a faint sob which was quickly ceased. She couldn’t even answer right away and let the call fall into silence for long seconds while Jisoo just waited, for this reaction is definitely not for a good news.

 

“What happened?” Jisoo asked and as she successfully entered the train, she went to sit anxious of what she’s about to hear.

 

Though it was difficult, Chaeyoung explained it to her while trying to hold back her tears, causing her to choke at times in between her words. Everything, from the moment Jennie regained consciousness, until the last word that the doctor told her, she delivered it all.

 

Jisoo covered her face under her hand for she hates it when strangers see her cry, or even down and looking dejected. She said none for a minute and let the unfortunate fact sink in. She knew there would be effects and just like Chaeyoung, despite the expectation, it’s tough to accept it straightaway and not be saddened by it.

 

“I might arrive there in an hour. Do you have errands to do?” Jisoo spoke as she managed to calm herself somehow.

 

“Actually, I have an important matter to settle. My manager is already waiting for me outside. I don’t want to leave Jennie here but I have to go.” Chaeyoung regrettably said.

 

“Just go. I’ll be there soon and I’ll be the one to stay over.”

 

Chaeyoung helplessly sighed and massaged her head as she’s being overwhelmed. “Unnie, please watch Jennie for me. Tell me if she’s awake so I can come back as soon as I can. Please. I just have to do something important at the company.” She then begged.

 

“Of course. I’ll stay. I’ll immediately update you once she’s awake.” Jisoo assured.

 

Chaeyoung hurriedly made her way out with a heavy heart while being conscious of her surroundings not to be spotted by sneaky media. Once she made it inside her manager’s car, she sat and hides in the back seat. The manager dared not to say anything more inside the car and let Chaeyoung be occupied by her silence and deepest thoughts.

 

In a matter of time, Chaeyoung arrived at the company. As expected, the moment she entered the building for the first time in days, for the first time since all the issues aroused and rumors exploded worldwide, every single eye that she passed by daggered towards her. The staffs, the trainees and even some known artists who saw her walking up the CEO’s office all eyed on her, some was even heard gossiping.

 

“Do you think it’s true that she’s in a relationship with Ella’s nanny?”

 

“Of all people she can date, she chose an ordinary woman…”

 

Chaeyoung heard these gossips from the trainees on standby at the corner and this ticked her off. She stopped by her strides but without looking back at them, she intently warns, “All of you can backstab me all you want, but don’t ever dare to mention her name for your own entertainment. Jennie is no ordinary woman and she’s not just a nanny. If you don’t have anything nice to say about her, keep your mouth shut, better yet go back to your training.”

 

The fearful trainees walked out as Chaeyoung’s tone is something that gave them chill down to their spines. She marched ahead and all the manager can do is to follow her until they reached the CEO’s office, where they’re welcomed by the strict executives and even the lawyer is present.

 

“I’m glad you still remember that you have a career to take care of.” The CEO said as he welcomed their best asset standing before them all.

 

Chaeyoung refused to say a word just yet and so the executive remarks, “We got a word from the hospital just moments ago. We heard Jennie will go through therapy to fully recover. Despite all of this, we’ll cover the expenses for her hospitalization.”

 

“You’re surprisingly composed.” Chaeyoung rolled her eyes as she broke her silence. “I was expecting all of you to be shouting at me right now and burning me to hell for bringing down your image. Besides, didn’t you tell me before that if I mess up once again, you won’t back me up anymore?” She went on.

 

“Because this is more than just you and your career, Chaeyoung. A lot is being affected already.” An executive reasoned.

 

The CEO tended forward towards his desk as he speaks, “Did you know how much mess you just caused us? It’s not your career that’s only affected here. There are tons, let me remind you. The investors are backing out. The sponsors want to cancel their contracts with you. Other artists from our company are taking a huge blow too and their careers are getting affected too.”

 

And the lawyer adds, “In fact, even the authorities are now questioning if you’re really capable of adopting Ella. They are doubting if you’re eligible for the adoption after how they saw you handle all these issues going on with your career. They assumed that you’re running away from your responsibilities and you might do the same with Ella.”

 

“In two days…” Chaeyoung deeply voiced.

 

“What?”

 

“I’ll face the media in two days and let them know that no one is running away from responsibilities, especially my responsibilities with Ella and Jennie.” Chaeyoung said straight and clear as she stared at everyone in front of her as that’s all how she responded with their grilling.

 

“What are you going to tell to the world, huh?” A disturbed executive asked.

 

Before anyone could even open their mouth to question her more, Chaeyoung pulled out a document from her bag and neatly placed it on top of the CEO’s table. She needed not to say anything for them to know what it is. They should know by just the way it’s folded into thirds. While the CEO stayed calm in his seat, the executives were alarmed and some even went up on their seats.

 

“I want everything to directly come out from me and I want my fans to know that despite my decisions, I also care for them too, by telling the world about everything as well.” Chaeyoung said firm and straight with her head up.

 

“So, you’re willing to throw away something that you’ve been working hard on for long years just because of a woman you just met for less than a year. How sure are you even that she’ll stay with you and won’t break up with you? And if she leaves you and Ella, do you think this move of yours is worth it?” The CEO asked in composure while intently eyeing on his musician.

 

“Jennie isn’t just any woman and I’ve already thought of this.” Chaeyoung answered right away, as if she’s prepared for this for a long time. “Jennie herself might not want me to do this either. She can hate me for this. However, my decision is final. It’s not just something I’ve thought of overnight. I’ve been actually thinking about this ever since I got Ella, and Jennie coming in to my life just gave me even more solid reason why I should.”

 

“And do you think this sacrifice is worth it? Do you think they are bigger than your passion in music?”

 

“Yeah. Music doesn’t revolve in the entertainment world either.” Chaeyoung responded in a snap.

 

C

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter