Chapter 20 : What Love Is

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 20 What Love Is

 

The heavy pour of rain is as heavy as what their hearts carry. Almost becoming difficult to walk and move as her mind is filled with worries and burdens, Jennie was summoned by the company’s executives without Chaeyoung’s knowledge. She knew what’s coming for her and despite preparing herself for it, the thumps on her chest aren’t stopping and she gets more anxious as time goes by.

 

“The hospital forwarded us the results of your health condition. It’s a patient’s confidential information but we got a hold of it as we’re your employers and we have the right to know what goes on with you.” The CEO began right after Jennie entered the office with a greeting, not giving her enough time to take a breather as they go straight to the point.

 

As Jennie stood before them with her head down, she acknowledges, “Yes, I know.”

 

“You may be suspended from work as a nanny but you’re still an employee, and so, we’ll be the one to pay for all of the hospital expenses, even for your surgery whenever you want to have it. You don’t have to worry about it anymore.” The executives who are present in the office followed up.

 

And Jennie once again just nodded her head without lifting her head up, “Thank you.”

 

“Does Chaeyoung know or have any idea about your condition?” THE CEO asked straightforward and this made Jennie glance at him.

 

Jennie looked away, clenching her fists, she mumbles, “She doesn’t know anything yet.”

 

“When are you planning to tell her then?”

 

“I don’t know yet.” Jennie honestly responded. “But you don’t have to worry because I don’t plan to tell her one of these days that she’s still burdened with a lot of things. She has the press conference to think about, the deal to decide on, and also Ella’s adoption process that might get ruined if I fall down now. Chaeyoung is already carrying a lot of weight. The least I can do is to think what the best is for her while I deal with my health. I have medicines anyway. I should be fine for quite some time.” She further said wearing the same grimace.

 

“And what do you think is the best for her?” One of the executives questioned.

 

Jennie kept herself mummed. She cannot hide forever, especially that Chaeyoung is around at home and she might get slip of the tongue. She cannot pretend for so long as she knows her own body may not be able to hold on longer than she wanted to. She has to think of a way as soon as possible.

 

The CEO noted the trouble in her expression, and so he bluntly suggests one for her troubled mind, “Why don’t you convince her to date Chanyeol just for the show and maybe, break up with her? With Chaeyoung’s state of mind, you’re the only one she’ll listen to.”

 

“Excuse me? Are you telling me I should hurt her?” Jennie grew agitated.

 

“It’s just a suggestion, though you might want to consider it too. It might be painful, but think about it. It’s for her own good and for yours too. Moreover, if you do it now, the pain won’t be that deep yet, compared to when you prolong it.” The CEO evilly smirked.

 

Jennie was arrested in her stand. Truly, it was just a wild suggestion from him, yet it managed to struck her mind and shaken her heart. She couldn’t even find a return as she’s terrified of that devilish smirk from the higher-ups, as if everyone is going to push her to go with that decision. She started breaking out in sweat for the pressure is getting heavier each second that passes by she cannot answer.

 

“Chaeyoung is coming.” A staff urgently came knocking.

 

In no time, Chaeyoung barged inside the office without reservations. She found the nervous Jennie standing before them, being feasted with their heavy stresses. She has known these people for so long and she sure knows how much pressure they can give to someone. Knowing this, she quickly pulled Jennie and protected her as she hid her behind her back.

 

“What’s going on here? What did you tell her?” Chaeyoung interrogated her bosses, not minding her manners as she glared at them.

 

The CEO though just laughed at her, “Chaeyoung, relax. We were just asking how she is and if she’s doing fine since she was discharged.”

 

“We were also reminding her that she’s still suspended and that her salary is on freeze even though she lives with you and Ella. And that she has to be careful with her actions as well. We’re still waiting for your response about the deal, so please, do not do anything reckless that might add to the problem.” The executive backed up and put a pleasant smile so the musician won’t be suspicious.

 

Jennie tugged her back and hisses, “Chaeng, they’re telling the truth and warning me to be careful.”

 

Chaeyoung instantly cooled down when Jennie said so. Without saying a word and without looking back, she dragged Jennie out of the office as far as she can. She doesn’t want anyone, especially from her bosses, to be influencing her and corrupting her mind, hence, she was annoyed.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you’re coming here after sending Ella to school? I could have gone inside that office with you.” Chaeyoung confronted her while they are alone inside the elevator going down.

 

Jennie frowns in guilt, “Sorry. They suddenly called me to drop by and I didn’t know you’d be here too.”

 

“I’m not mad at you, just in case you’re thinking like that.” Chaeyoung clarified. “The executives tend to say things to poison other’s mind, as if they’ve learned how to hypnotize people or something. They’re always trying that on me but unfortunately for them, it will never work on me. I’m worried that they might have said something that influenced you.” She added.

 

Jennie assures in a weak smile, “You worry too much.”

 

“Of course, I am worried.” Chaeyoung pouted.

 

There goes her chipmunk-like expression again, more when she’s sulky, and it’s that face which always softens Jennie’s heart. She wouldn’t hesitate to kiss her when she wears that expression in order to calm her down, however, she has to hold herself back for she has to remind herself the messed up situation they are in.

 

“D-Do you have schedules today?” Jennie asked as she walked ahead when the elevator opened and they were welcomed by a busy lobby filled with trainees who stared at them.

 

“I’m actually about to go to my next schedule and I might be back at dawn already.” Chaeyoung sighed.

 

Saddening it is, that Jennie won’t be able to see her for long hours again but at the same time, it’s a blessing in disguise for her as she’ll be able to buy time for herself not to be seen and not to be noticed struggling in her moves from time to time due to her health condition. Even at simplest matter like this, Jennie is torn apart whether she should be happy or not that Chaeyoung is away from her.

 

“I see. I’ll just go to the supermarket before I go back home. Ella is requesting for a kimchi fried rice for dinner so I have to get some ingredients we don’t have.” Jennie said and stepped farther from the musician, indicating she has to go first.

 

“Yeah. I’ll see you tomorrow, I hope.” Chaeyoung sadly responded.

 

Not a kiss, not a hug, not even a wave of goodbye came from Jennie as she just walked away and flagged a taxi right in front of the building and this withered Chaeyoung’s hopes and her fragile heart. She isn’t sure whether it’s because she’s shy that there are people around or it’s because she’s really being avoided. However, one thing is for sure and she won’t leave unnoticed, Jennie has been in her deepest thoughts ever since she was discharged out of the hospital.

 

Spacing out like Jennie is her best friend who has been absent-minded from doing her job. Jisoo has been constantly checking on Jennie, making sure she’s alright. And whenever she waits for her replies, her mind drifts off to Jennie’s burdens, feeling all the weight she has to carry for who knows how long.

 

Jisoo is ogling into a space she didn’t notice a customer placed bottled soda by the counter where she’s stationed for today’s duty. Thus, the customer spoke, “Here…”

 

“Oh, sorry…” Jisoo was alarmed by the voice and without looking at anything but the product, she went on to carry her job.

 

“Hello Miss Kim Jisoo, you’re totally out of this world.” The customer snapped her fingers right in front of her face to completely wake her up from getting drowned into her thoughts.

 

Jisoo lifted up her head and near to her face is Lisa in her perfect disguise as she’s scanning her closely. “Woah! W-What are you doing here?” She stepped back as she’s startled of her unexpected appearance.

 

“I’ve been here for about thirty minutes yet you didn’t notice me at all. I’ve been standing here, walking in circles waiting for you to notice me but you seem like mentally absent. I’m even done signing autographs for your staffs already.” Lisa said with her arms crossed.

 

Jisoo sighs, “There’s just some things bothering me.”

 

“I’m sure that it isn’t just some kind of simple and trivial problem. You’ve never been this bothered before.” Lisa commented and stared deeper into Jisoo’s eyes, reading the truth behind those beautiful eyes.

 

“I’m just thinking about Chaeyoung and Jennie. You know, what’s going to happen to them now that they live together while things are complicated that even we don’t know what to do about it yet.” Jisoo faked a laugh as she turned around to evade Lisa’s close gazes.

 

Lisa though followed her movements, going inside the counter area and forced Jisoo to look at her straight in the eyes, “Is that what you’re really thinking about?”

 

“Yeah, what do you think it is?” Jisoo insisted to lie yet her smile begins to tremble.

 

“Something’s telling me it isn’t.” Lisa raised an eyebrow. “We’ve been hanging out a lot these days. I always look at you and see you smiling, laughing and just having fun. So, I know it’s something serious when you don’t even want me to look at you. We’re friends, right? So, c’mon, tell me the truth. What’s bothering you?” She strongly persuaded as she stuttered not a single word, holding onto Jisoo’s hand delicately.

 

Jisoo bit her lower lip as she looked down the floor. She has been keeping this secret all on her own, without anything and anyone she can lean on, no one to share the worries with. It’s definitely hard for her, harder when Jennie herself is nowhere to be found to talk with. She needs someone to share this load with and she has to release to feel lighter on her chest.

 

“Jennie is…” Jisoo breathed deep as she hesitated to say more.

 

“Why, what’s with Jennie? What happened?” Lisa started to get anxious.

 

Jisoo released herself from Lisa’s hold as she clasped her shaking hands together. She did promise Jennie not to tell anyone yet the temptation of having someone to lean on and someone she can trust aside from her is a lot greater.

 

“Jennie is… she’s… lying to Chaeyoung.” Jisoo muttered out of her trembling mouth and faced her back to Lisa.

 

Lisa’s eyes widened and for she’s muddled of what’s disclosed, once again she paraded to face Jisoo and forced her to look up at her. “What do you mean she’s lying to Chaeyoung? What’s going on?” She demanded explanation with those wide eyes and not letting her go anywhere by holding her shoulders.

 

Jisoo suddenly burst out into tears which came a shock for Lisa who, for the first time, is seeing her cry so much. Alarmed, not only her but also the other staffs who heard her sobbing, Lisa hastily pulled her out of the store and hurriedly pushed her inside her car parked at the back exit.

 

Jisoo’s cries aren’t stopping and all Lisa can do for the moment is to provide her handkerchief, help her wipe her tears and give her enough time to calm down as she stopped questioning her for more. Nothing is sitting right at all and Lisa is preparing herself as well for what’s about to be told as she has started to think the worst possible case at the back of her mind.

 

“I promised Jennie not to tell anyone about this, unless she tells it herself. But this too much to handle and I just don’t know what to do with it too.” Jisoo’s sobs began to go faint and she managed to speak out in between.

 

Lisa faced her and once again asks but delicately, “Please tell me, what happened really?”

 

“Jennie has a brain tumor and Chaeyoung doesn’t know about this yet. She hasn’t signed for the surgery and I don’t know when she’s even planning to take it.”

 

Jisoo breathlessly confessed with her eyes closed, afraid to see Lisa’s reaction to the truth. The supermodel lost her words and right there in the driver’s seat she was frozen, feeling like her energy out of her body. Certainly, it’s a truth that’s never easy to digest and to understand right away and it took Lisa long minutes before she moved in shock.

 

“Brain tumor… you mean…” Lisa barely voiced.

 

And Jisoo explains thoroughly, “The doctor told me that Jennie might have been suffering from it for a long time already, only that it’s been always left unattended. No one knows the cause of it but as time passed by, it was triggered until it was discovered. Thankfully, they said it’s not cancerous and she was offered for a surgery as it’s the only way to remove it. But Jennie hasn’t signed the consent for obvious reasons and you know why too if you consider the current situation. For the meantime, she was given medicines to prevent her headaches from occurring but then again, it won’t be much of a help if this goes longer.”

 

“Is it because of Chaeyoung?” Lisa gritted her teeth and Jisoo nodded. “She has to know about this! What’s the point of hiding it anyway if she’ll end up getting busted sooner or later? So, what, she’s lying and betraying not only Chaeyoung but to herself too? This is absurd! Jennie has to tell Chaeyoung no matter how hard it’s going to be because after all, Chaeyoung loves her and she wouldn’t like it if Jennie hides such important matter to her.” She thundered her rants.

 

Jisoo stopped her by holding onto her arms and removed her car keys for she was about to drive with her, knowing she’s going to Chaeyoung for the truth. “I know it’s not right to hide it either! Do you think it’s alright for me to be doing this too, lying and hiding from the truth? Of course, not!” She yelled for the frustration is building up.

 

“Then, why do we have to lie too? Let’s tell Chaeyoung about this. My best friend is out there hoping and believing that the person she loves is all fine, then, what? She’ll end up finding out that Jennie is actually sacrificing her life for her? What do you think Chaeyoung would feel about all this? It’s going to hurt her more if this goes on.” Lisa also reasoned out, trying to persuade Jisoo’s decisions.

 

Yet Jisoo remained firm in her view as she insists, “Please, Lisa… let us believe in Jennie. She said she’ll tell Chaeyoung about it, but not today, not tomorrow and definitely not one of these days, but she’ll tell it to her, okay? It’s already a mess out there and a lot of more complicated situations going on. Maybe Jennie is just finding the right timing…”

 

Lisa eventually gave up as she just slammed her heavy hands onto the steering wheel to release her frustrations and defeats. “This is so wrong…” She groaned under her breath.

 

“It is, but what do you think is right too?” Jisoo questioned and Lisa found no answer, not even the best one is hard to pick up.

 

“Fine, I won’t tell Chaeyoung anything. However, when things come to worst and it’s impossible to hide it already, I won’t hesitate to tell her everything.” Lisa challenged.

 

To which Jisoo agrees to, “Okay, it’s a deal.”

 

Days passed by and Jennie remained distant and aloof towards Chaeyoung. Whenever Chaeyoung talks to her, she only gives short and formal responses. Whenever Chaeyoung tries to hold her, even just a simple hold by the hand to say good night, Jennie would retract her hand and move away. And whenever Chaeyoung stares at her during their quick meals at home, Jennie never shares eye contact with her.

 

Jennie though does talk to Ella. In fact, they play around and their bond never changed a single bit. They hang out when Chaeyoung is busy on her schedules and they even doze off together by the couch when they’re tired of playing games all day together. It’s the opposite treatment she’s giving to Chaeyoung and the musician can never let this pass into her observations.

 

When all are asleep at night, even Jennie, Chaeyoung locked herself inside her room and the first person she called is no other than Jisoo, a person she’s hoping could help her. “Unnie, it’s Chaeyoung. Sorry for calling you all of a sudden. Are you free?” She asked upon being answered.

 

“Ah, yeah. I’m at home, about to sleep.” Jisoo lazily said as she prepared herself on the bed. “Why did you call by the way? This is rare.” She then added.

 

“It’s about Jennie, actually…” Chaeyoung started reserved and Jisoo sat back up on her bed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter