Chapter 7 : One More Chance

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 7 One More Chance

 

Jennie isn’t different from those people typically say, “New day. New Life. Let’s move on.” She’s pretty much similar to those who seek new phase in life after a failure, after a bad experience of the yesterdays. Though the happenings of the past somewhat pass through her mind every day, a simple shrug of the shoulders would make these flashbacks wash out of her mind.

 

She came back to her small yet tidy place tired from a long day of job-hunting. Yet coming out from a hot bath, her confidence is restored and freshens up with a can of cold beer she could afford with her few coins left in her wallet. Jennie is a simple woman who easily gets satisfied with the simplest things in life but then life isn’t giving her the simplest choices.

 

Laid on her table is the unsigned contract that Lisa sent through her mailbox. While she dries her messy hair with a towel, she paces around her almost empty living room and reads the terms and conditions of the contract. The salary is higher than what Chaeyoung offered. The benefits are superb as well. Anyone can tell that this is one of the best offers in the town.

 

“Personal assistant, huh? Should I get it? If I do, I’ll still have connection with Chaeyoung somehow and it might be uncomfortable for the best friends. If I don’t then I might end up starving and put behind bars for not paying my loans too. I need money…” Jennie contemplated as she groaned and dropped her down her bedside.

 

In the midst of her deep thoughts and considerations, someone knocked onto her door. She checked on her time and she never had visitors at such hour before. “That can’t be Jisoo-unnie. She’s on night shift.” She supposed. Then another set of knocks came and this time Jennie went up to get it.

 

“It must be the landlady then. She must have forgotten that I’ve paid the rent for this month already.” Jennie confidently assumed and thus she never bothered to fix herself, not even putting up a bra beneath her thin shirt, thinking it’s just the old lady who wouldn’t care about her night get-up.

 

“I already paid my—” Jennie said as she carelessly opened her door wide but instantly cut off as what appeared before her eyes is something, rather someone, she least expects would drop by to her poor life.

 

“Oh… Hi. Good evening.”

 

Standing before Jennie’s widened eyes is the musician in her disguise, Park Chaeyoung. Their eyes met and it felt like everything went on slow motion. The musician isn’t wearing any make-up, Jennie can tell as her eyes aren’t intimidating, rather too innocent like an angel. Her skin is still as clear as crystals, and Jennie wasn’t able to help herself but to blush as she finds her attractive up close.

 

Whereas Chaeyoung blushed and felt a bit embarrassed at the sight of Jennie in her most casual outfit she has seen so far from her, too casual that she could see her uncovered s beneath her white shirt and those short shorts that Jennie never dared to wear in front of her or even Ella.

 

However, Jennie had to snap back to reality, thus stepping back to cover her chest with her arm and quickly wears her cold expression. “Why are you here? What brings you in this place? Are you going to sue me after what I did to Ella according to your accusations?” She asked nonstop, annoyed in her tone and gave a stance of intolerance.

 

“Can we talk?” Chaeyoung asked innocently like she didn’t hear Jennie’s rants and wasn’t bothered for a second of her overly ‘casual’ shirt.

 

Yet Jennie raises an eyebrow, still giving her those icy looks, “We already are talking though as far as I remember someone standing in front of me once said she doesn’t want to see or talk to me ever again.”

 

Jennie shut her door closed for she cannot stand exchanging eye contacts with her longer, for either she feels annoyed or she would melt into admiration. And so Chaeyoung knocks persistent as she speaks louder, “Open the door. I just want to personally talk with you.”

 

“You told me that you don’t want to see me ever again and now you’re here telling me you want to talk? Who are you kidding? Just go away! I don’t want to see you!” Jennie shouted from the inside as she leaned her back against her closed door.

 

Jennie heard no response for long seconds. She thought she successfully sent Chaeyoung away but then a soft apologetic tone came, “I’m sorry…”

 

“What…?” Jennie was taken aback as for the very least, she was expecting Chaeyoung to argue back and exchange screams with her. Instead, she was given this sincere and calm tone.

 

Chaeyoung extended a hand onto Jennie’s closed door as she goes on expressing softly and dipped her forehead against the door, “I said I’m sorry. You can hear me, right?”

 

“And why are you apologizing? After everything that you’ve told me, do you think it’s that easy?” She reasoned and not letting her heart be influenced by just her voice.

 

“I know it’s not easy but Ella told me everything. She already told me the truth.” Chaeyoung exposed at once and Jennie was shocked she found none to return to her. “I realized I was so wrong for accusing you. I regret saying those things to you and my apologies may not be enough for you. I hurt you and it was wrong for me to do that. I’m so sorry…” She further said, close to a whisper so no one, not even the nearby tenants, would hear them talking.

 

Jennie was caught off guard as she let her words sink in slowly and attack her weak heart that once pumped loud for the musician. It didn’t cross her mind that Chaeyoung would actually talk this way to her. Yet, however, Jennie’s heart isn’t completely ready to accept these words yet as her cold heart still takes over her.

 

“No…” Jennie stood firm in her belief and distanced herself farther from the closed door. She gulped big in order for her sensitive emotions not to blow up and ruin everything. She chewed so she can speak and ask strong, “Do you have an idea how much it hurt me when you accused me of kidnapping and committing a crime?”

 

“I’m sorry…” Chaeyoung frowned in guilt.

 

“I can accept your apology about the mess that happened in your place but your false accusations, it’s still hard for me…” Jennie voiced and almost cracked as her fragile emotions are finding its way to burst.

 

Chaeyoung mumbles for herself to hear, sulking, “You also accused me of something I didn’t want to happen… that hurts too…”

 

“Are you saying something out there?” Jennie raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms to act superior over her though she doesn’t really face her.

 

“Nothing. I’m sorry.” Chaeyoung again said and stayed immobile in her position.

 

Jennie sighs, “Anyway, I’m sorry too but I am not ready to accept your apology.”

 

“Why?”

 

“As I said, it still hurts. I was so disappointed in you. I never thought that you could say such things even if it’s out of your anger. Just when I was starting to think you’re different than my first impressions of you, that you’re actually nice and kind-hearted, maybe I was wrong at some point.” Jennie expressed her reasons and breathed deep to contain herself.

 

Chaeyoung, lifted up her head as she utters in defense, “I said those things to you without thinking because all I had in my mind was to protect Ella. I was reckless and I’m sorry for that.”

 

Yet Jennie stands her point, “No matter what the reason is, it was painful for me. Maybe for someone else who may be more understanding and not sensitive, they can easily forgive. But not for me, not this time that I’m so stressed, so exhausted and still feels damaged over your words. This isn’t a movie, Park Chaeyoung. I’m just a woman who also gets hurt with words, may it be intentional or not.”

 

Chaeyoung is physically a lot taller but she feels so small standing guilty in front of Jennie’s door. She’s right after all. Words can be painful and it can hurt others and worse she accused her heavily of something she never did. Though Chaeyoung herself was accused by Jennie as well during their first meeting, the difference is that the act was done whereas Jennie never did, which is a lot heavier to weight.

 

Chaeyoung grimaced and thanks to this door dividing them apart, her frown cannot be seen but her eyes speak of gloom and defeat. “I understand. It’s alright if you cannot forgive me yet. I’ll wait until you do and I’ll come back again to check on you.” She muttered.

 

“Why are you so eager to get my forgiveness anyway? Is it because you’re scared that I might expose you to the world of what happened back in the nightclub?” Jennie interrogated, keeping up with her irked voice so Chaeyoung wouldn’t have a tint of idea that she’s actually being melted the more she talks with that repentant tone.

 

“It’s not that. It’s your choice if you’ll expose me or not. Maybe I do deserve to get exposed too. You can do it if you want. Anytime if you want to.” Chaeyoung helplessly sighed.

 

Taken aback, Jennie again asks, “Then why?”

 

“We just want you back to us, with us…” Chaeyoung expressed clear and without faltering to deliver her intentions and let Jennie know she’s dead serious and also truthful.

 

“W-What…” The surprised Jennie was lost for words.

 

“Come back home, Jennie. We need you. Give me one more chance to make it right.”

 

It sounded so good that someone who isn’t Jennie would have given in at that moment, however, since it’s Jennie, before her heart could totally melt and get her emotions fully swayed by Chaeyoung’s sincerity, she had to remind herself of those hurtful words that was told. Hence, she put a blank face and again denied, “No. I won’t. If you need someone to do chores and take care of Ella, then hire someone else. You’re rich and it won’t be hard to find someone new. The company you work at will surely agree too.”

 

“But Ella wants it to be you.” Chaeyoung still tried to persuade desperate.

 

“I already found a new job and I’m going there tomorrow!” Jennie shouted back at her so she will stop. “Lisa offered me to be her personal assistant and I’m going to meet her tomorrow and sign the contract!” She had to say as she panted heavily.

 

“For real?” Chaeyoung was staggered.

 

“I was so hesitant at first because she’s your best friend and I don’t ever want to get involved with anything related to you. But it’s better than nothing, a lot better than going back to you.” Jennie expressed steady, but hearing that heavy long sigh from Chaeyoung as soon as she disclosed, it became harder for her to talk more, as if she regrets being straightforward and harsh.

 

“I see. So, Lisa was serious when she told me she wants to have you.” Chaeyoung mumbled to herself, feeling an ache she never had before. And she steps back yet determined still, “I understand. I don’t want to force you and it’s your choice. However, I won’t give up, not until you signed her contract.”

 

Those were the last words that Jennie heard from Chaeyoung, firm as she voiced. Then footsteps moving farther was heard next, indicating that Chaeyoung is leaving. That’s when Jennie slightly opened her door and saw Chaeyoung’s back vanishing out of her sight, her shoulders that dropped as she’s downhearted of their talk’s result.

 

“Maybe I went overboard when I told her that going to Lisa is better.” Jennie was worried yet again she shakes off her head to convince herself, “Oh no! She hurt me too! That serves her right!” But as she said those, it was painful. “Damn I hate you Park Chaeyoung.” She ended up growling and dropped her strained body in her bed.

 

At early night, Chaeyoung went back home unsuccessful with today’s mission. She accomplished all the meetings and recording tests. She satisfied the producers and applauded by the experts. She was able to sing once again and it felt so good indeed. All these positive and heart-warming activities happened to her and yet with just one cause, her failure to get Jennie back, everything out of her.

 

“Chaeng-unnie!” The expectant Ella welcomed her and followed all the way to her room. She crawled up to her bed and eyed on Chaeyoung lying down close to being lifeless for she’s shattered. “Have you talked to Jennie-unnie? What did she say? Is she coming back?” She asked nonstop and even shakes Chaeyoung to open her eyes.

 

As much as Chaeyoung doesn’t want to take away that smile on Ella’s face, she has to shake her head as she indicated a negative response. “I talked to your Jennie-unnie but she doesn’t want to come back.” She started to speak slowly and Ella’s energy slurped out like how Chaeyoung’s was too.

 

“I haven’t properly apologized to her and I want her back.” Ella sulked and joined Chaeyoung on lying down but with that huge pillow covering her face for she’s embarrassed to be seen in tears.

 

Chaeyoung though assures her confidently, “Don’t worry. I’m not giving up until she comes back to us. I’ll go to her every day if needed until she agrees again.”

 

“Get her back hom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter