Chapter 2 : Fated Job

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 2 Fated Job

 

“You’re fired!”

 

A growl right into the face, this is how the nightclub’s manager welcomed Jennie who is supposed to report for work one late afternoon. Her things, clothes and necessities, she left coming straight from the locker room were thrown to her, though it was against the will of the staff that was only ordered to do so. Lucky for her however that this is happening inside the club that’s still closed and only staffs cleaning around are seeing this unfortunate situation for her.

 

“But sir! You cannot do that!” Jennie, once staggered by the welcome, snapped back to her reality and chased the manager going back inside his office by the second floor of the nightclub. “I desperately need money! I need to earn to pay my parents’ debts and some bills too. I cannot lose this job!” She frantically begged from across the manager’s office table.

 

The manager, chilling in his seat, barks back at her, “I just fired you and I will never take back my words Miss Jennie Kim. You know what you did last time, right? You slapped one of the customers, it became a talk amongst our regulars and worst you even spilled a beer all over her. You damaged our reputation from those high-class people!”

 

“She ually harassed me! What do you expect me to do? Let her keep doing it?” Jennie reasoned out and stood for her right, although it’s costing her the smallest chance to be hired back.

 

The manager makes his stand and he closely rustles to Jennie’s face, “I don’t care what she did Jennie. No matter who our customer is, whatever she did, she’s still a person we should serve willingly and with open arms. As soon as a customer stepped in here, they must be served with the best service, and not the worst from the staffs. This is a nightclub, things like that happens sometimes and if you cannot put that into your head, you shouldn’t have stepped in here in the first place.”

 

“That’s cruel… you’re too cruel…” Jennie tears up and felt weak on her knees.

 

“You disappointed me, Jennie. I thought you’d be the best waitress I’ve ever had but I guess I was wrong.” The manager sighed and leaned back to his office chair. “If you want fast money that bad, why don’t you try to go to the red light district? You have the beauty, you look seductive and you got appeal. You’ll sell a lot in there, if you know what I mean.” He then smirked evilly.

 

Jennie doesn’t like where this conversation is going any further. She’s disgusted of how this ert manager smirked while looking at her body from head to toe, despite her skin being covered by her jeans and simple white tees. Thus, she collected all her things in a haste and escaped from the nightclub devastated and hopeless.

 

In between a narrow alley between tall buildings, here is where Jennie stopped and pours more tears of helplessness. “It’s that damn ert’s fault! I swear to God if I see her again I’ll give her another cut in her lip!” She cried out loud that strayed cats hiding on the trash bins ran away from her.

 

Chaeyoung, the person Jennie labelled as ert, just parked her car in an underground lot of the building. Cautious of her surroundings, she checked from inside the car if stalkers or paparazzi followed her and she’s lucky for today she found none, a rare sight. Hence, she jogged leisurely inside the company building where she’s greeted by the thrilled receptionists and young talents that roam freely inside.

 

“Good luck on your comeback preparations sunbaenim!”

 

“I’ll cheer on you!”

 

These are some greetings from the people she passed by and she can only respond by bowing her head and flashing them her charismatic smile, sometimes flirtatiously wink at them to gain a good reputation. She hasn’t visited this company for so long she cannot recognize some faces anymore, some are new and some has changed a lot. Even the building changed a lot she almost didn’t know where to go.

 

Joining her inside the elevator as they go up is her executive assistant, and informs her, “Ever since you went on hiatus, we have gained a lot of trainees and some are potentially going to debut soon in an idol group. Most of them are looking up on you and when they heard you’re coming back today to start the preparations, everyone just came to drop by though they don’t have training schedules.”

 

“I see. That’s good to hear then.” Chaeyoung replied short for she is wary of the time that she keeps checking on her watch. “How long do you think the meeting will last?” She then asked the assistant when the elevator opened.

 

“Maybe more than two hours? We formed a new team for your biggest comeback ever and we will be discussing plans about the possible concepts and everything. Most importantly, the CEO will be present too because he wants to talk about the situation about you living with Ella.” The assistant delivered while closely following Chaeyoung from behind.

 

“I cannot last for more than three hours here. I have to fetch Ella later on in her school. I need to be responsible to her and you know that.” Chaeyoung hissed before she opened the meeting room where everyone’s already seated and waiting for her arrival.

 

Chaeyoung appeared herself fashionable to meet the executives’ expectations of her. Though she could have just wore a simple hoodie, for today she’s sporting a red dress and a black coat she’s carrying to impress their eyes that glittered upon seeing her. She didn’t disappoint them in her physical appearance and what’s next is to face them and their possible interrogations for her comeback.

 

“Good to see you again, Park Chaeyoung.” The CEO formally greeted and offered the vacant seat near him in this round table.

 

“Sorry, I may sound rude but let’s start the meeting. You know, I have Ella to fetch in her school later on and I haven’t really found solutions how to remediate our day-to-day situation.” Chaeyoung said as humble as she can be so no one would be offended of her rush and demands.

 

And the executive speaks, “That’s one of the main topics we’re going to tackle for today’s meeting and since we’re on it, maybe we should start talking about your situation with Ella first then.”

 

They then start off by pointing out when everyone’s settled in their seats, “It’s been more than a year since you took Ella under your roof. Which also means, it’s been a year since you temporarily left your career for her and the public didn’t take it very well, especially your fans who were somehow divided with your decisions. While mostly supported, some also left disappointed.”

 

“We studied the percentage that time and there was only 10% of people who reacted negatively. And when we announced your comeback, we received nearly 90% of positive reactions and that the public is looking forward to your new side. However, there are also some netizens who are concerned about Ella once you’re officially back to your career. She’s just a minor and the law won’t be too easy on you.” The other reported with data and information flashed in the screen.

 

The CEO signaled for the company’s legal adviser to share his side and so he turns to share, “I have been informed about Ella’s situation prior to this meeting. Even though you had the father’s consent to take Ella, still, she’s a minor and yes, the law is strict with this. Furthermore, the adoption papers you’ve been working on hasn’t been formally finalized yet as the authorities have to monitor you on how you take care of Ella, her needs and everything if you’re befitted to legally have her. This will take time.”

 

“I’ll be packed with schedules soon and I won’t be home all the time to eye on her and be there for her. Although Ella said she’s fine on her own and that I can resume with my career without worrying for her, it won’t be that easy for us, right? What will happen to us then?” Chaeyoung questioned, concern of the possibilities.

 

“Ella may have willingly went with you but then again, she’s not yet of legal age to be left alone at home. Moreover, you’re not blood-related which is why the process is taking longer than the usual. You have to be very careful with your decisions if you want both your career and Ella to stay with you. And once the public finds out that you’re neglecting your duties to Ella as well, they’ll feast on you all over social media and your career will be potentially over.” The adviser said.

 

Being bombarded by these concerns which are facts however, Chaeyoung can already feel her head going to explode as she’s easily stressed out with anything that worries them about Ella. “I know, okay? Of course I know I have to be careful that’s why I have to find a way so that they won’t take Ella away from me.” She unintentionally raised her voice, thanks to the stress.

 

“What I don’t understand is that why did you even sacrifice so much for that nonsense and almost cost your career? Did you really have to keep that girl just because you were close with her when you were on vacation in America? You could have just asked someone else to take her when her father died. You’re the company’s biggest asset yet you almost threw it away just because of her?” One of the blunt executives protested out of nowhere and caught everyone’s close attention, all eyed on him in shock of his straightforward remarks.

 

“Nonsense? Did you just consider Ella as nonsense?” Chaeyoung fumed and slammed the table to startle everyone around her. “Ella isn’t just anyone out there for you to call her a nonsense in my life! Ella is like my younger sister, almost like my daughter! Don’t treat her like she’s nothing because she isn’t! She’s just a young girl who lost her father at such a young age and never had the chance to meet her mother. No one wanted to love her when she begged for it and she doesn’t have any decent relatives to run into! What do you expect me to do? Leave her alone in America and wander around like a lost girl?” She ultimately thundered and her howls resounded at all four corners of the meeting room.

 

Everyone was silenced with her wrath which was somehow expected by the majority after how they treated Ella right into her face, that young girl that they’re supposed to know by now one of the important persons in Chaeyoung’s life. Of all people around this world, the company’s staffs and these executives should know the best, how Chaeyoung didn’t doubt a second to take a break from her career to be with Ella.

 

When Chaeyoung cooled down and dropped her body back on her seat, her executive assistant raised his hand to ask permission to talk amidst of heavy silence. “Uhmm… this may not be the best idea but I’m going to share it anyway. Will it change anything if someone else looks after Ella and take care of her while Chaeyoung is busy with her works?”

 

“Well, it depends. For Chaeyoung’s case, since she can still go back home after work, the law might consider it if someone will take care of Ella throughout the day in Chaeyoung’s absence. She will be accompanied in Chaeyoung’s behalf and she won’t be all alone.” The adviser assumed.

 

“I was just thinking if… maybe, we’ll try to hire a maid or should I say a nanny for Ella.” The assistant opened up cautious for she saw how Chaeyoung’s expression changed into worse and glared at him.

 

The CEO bobbed his head, satisfied of this idea as he even tended closer towards the table. “Tell me more about this plan. Who knows this might work out?” He then dared for more.

 

So, the assistant shares more of his ideas, “We will hire a nanny to look after for Ella while Chaeyoung’s schedules are packed and hectic, from the preparations all the way to the promotion period. It’s going to be a long time and Chaeyoung may not be able to focus as well if she’s worried about Ella’s safety all the time. I thought we should hire a nanny to look after her at least until the law will finalize the adoption papers.”

 

The legal adviser also agrees, “It’s not actually a bad idea at all. Hiring a nanny may give an impression that despite busy schedules, Chaeyoung isn’t neglecting her role and the law might be impressed to know that at least, Ella is safe and sound even if she’s away from home. However, the nanny should also be willing to cooperate with the set-ups and plans.”

 

“I like that too.” The CEO seconded and the executives also raised their hands in agreement.

 

But Chaeyoung again interrupts, “Ella doesn’t like anyone to take care of her other than me. Moreover, if you say nanny, then this person will potentially have to live with us under the same roof. Our privacy will be invaded and I don’t want more information about me to be leaked throughout the internet aside from those that are already known.”

 

“Do you have a better idea and a better choice other than hiring a nanny to take care of Ella?” The CEO questioned and Chaeyoung was tight-lipped as she has none in her head. “We know how much you don’t like your private life to be invaded by just anyone. Yet you have to choose then, it’s either you let Ella be taken away by law without a fight and you’ll worry about her all the time or lower down your pride and get a nanny to ensure her safety all the time while you’re busy. Choose one.” He then challenged.

 

“If it won’t work out then we can just fire that nanny, right? Then we can find new ways again. We have to make sure that this nanny won’t be spilling anything more than what is on the internet so we have to be careful of choosing one as well. It should be trustworthy and not just anyone other there.” The manager suggested.

 

Chaeyoung admitted lost as she leaned back on her seat with this stern look drawn on her face. “But I don’t personally know anyone who would fit the job. You know I don’t socialize and I only know Lisa in the industry.” She uttered in defeat.

 

“We’ll be the one to handle the job vacancy and carefully search for one. Leave it to us and as for you, focus on finishing your compositions and submit it to the producers as soon as you’re done so you can start recording soon too.” The CEO strictly instructed.

 

And all that Chaeyoung can do is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter