Chapter 19 : Weight On Their Shoulders

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 19 Weight On Their Shoulders

 

Chaeyoung wasted no more seconds as she went straight to the hospital where Jennie is. With so much caution under her disguise, she paraded all the way up to Jennie’s hospital room, an area of the hospital wherein only a few could enter as it’s an exclusive building. It’s in this place where they had taken Jennie as requested by the company themselves, for her protection as well.

 

She walked up nervous while holding bouquet of red roses, mumbling to no one but to herself, “I have always wanted to tell you about this before, in a right time and place. It didn’t go as planned because of our situation but I really want you to know that I love you so much and please accept my heart and give me a chance to prove myself…”

 

The more she goes on, the more her heart crumbles for she had never been this cheesy yet genuine to anyone before. Chaeyoung thought it would be easy for she knows her feelings the best for Jennie. Little did she know it’s multiple times harder to say it personally, face-to-face, especially it’s her first time to confess her deepest and most genuine love towards someone.

 

“Are you alright?” A concerned nurse found the musician breathing heavy in the middle of the quiet corridor going to Jennie’s room.

 

Chaeyoung lowered her cap and nodded, “Yeah. I’m here to visit a patient named Jennie Kim…”

 

“Just go straight ahead. The last room at the right, that’s hers.” The nurse gladly informed before leaving her.

 

Chaeyoung shakes off her tension and went on her way. By the end of the corridor, she found a partially opened door lighted up from the inside. She assumed Jennie is still awake at this hour and so her eagerness to see her at last increased rapidly, more that she has known her feelings for her.

 

“I don’t really know what I should feel about it unnie…”

 

This is what Chaeyoung overheard when she reached the door she almost knocked to make her presence known. No doubt, it came from Jennie and through the small space she managed to take a glimpse of Jisoo walking around while fixing her clothes by the couch. And by the bed, there she found Jennie sitting up, frowning and looking pale right there.

 

“Aren’t you happy that you finally got the answer you’ve been waiting for? She said she loves you and it wouldn’t take long before she tells you that herself too.”

 

Chaeyoung decided not to reveal herself just yet as she’s curious and concerned at the same time to know more of Jennie’s honest opinion and point of view. Thus, she stayed hidden by the door to eavesdrop more of their conversation while hearing her loud pounding heart against her chest.

 

“I am happy, more than happy.” Jennie assured and somehow, Chaeyoung was relieved to hear it.

 

“Then what makes you feel confused?” Jisoo went to sit on her bedside. “Is it because of her situation?” She then asked and Jennie bobbed her head weakly.

 

The nanny lowered her head as she sadly voices, “You have no idea how I cried in joy when I heard Chaeng saying she loves me and I might pass out even if she tells it personally. However, with the current circumstances we’re in, I am not so sure if this is the right time to be celebrating about it. Should I be happy or should I be worried? Should I put our love first or should I consider things first? If I am this worried and bothered, what more for her, right?”

 

“I can’t blame you. The deal and choices that the company gave her is quite worrisome to be honest.” Jisoo sighed.

 

And Jennie goes on expressing, “Adding the fact that I’m partly to be blamed with all this mess that’s happening in her, how can I not feel bewildered? It’s not that easy to take away the guilt in me. Because of me, Chaeng is in a tight situation and not because she said she loves me, we can forget all of the consequences just like that.”

 

“You know, you’re starting to overthink things again. Just call it a day because the doctor will come tomorrow and tell your lab results. So, you better go to sleep now and I’ll go to work too.” Jisoo settled in order for Jennie’s mind to be at rest even just for tonight, though she knows Jennie would be occupied with these thoughts rumbling her mind.

 

The enthusiasm that Chaeyoung had drained out of her. The excitement she had earlier on confessing personally vanished upon heeding everything. She was saddened of what she heard, not because she couldn’t tell Jennie about her feelings, but it’s because she realized, Jennie is right. This isn’t the right time to be all lovey-dovey just yet.

 

The thought of reuniting with Jennie did ease her somehow from all the problems, but considering these deeper realizations, Chaeyoung backed out and chose not to disturb Jennie’s night anymore. “Maybe some other time...” She took one last glance to Jennie whose frown remained in her lips until she walked away.

 

Jisoo heard a faint sound coming from the door that Chaeyoung accidentally moved as she turned around to leave. She saw a shadow moving away, hence, she paraded out only see a corridor with a nurse doing its rounds by the neighboring rooms.

 

“What’s wrong unnie?” Jennie wondered as Jisoo looked alarmed.

 

“I just thought someone was here but maybe it’s just my imaginations.” Jisoo simply shrugged it off but hid the fact she found a rose petal by the doorsteps that somewhat gave her an idea that Chaeyoung was there.

 

Chaeyoung lifelessly walked out of the building and her feet brought her to the empty lobby of the hospital. She sat there in deep thoughts, placing the bouquet of flowers on the floor. Few minutes later, Lisa walked inside the building holding bags of foods, and there by the lobby, she far sighted her best friend being out of this world staring down the cold tiled floor.

 

Lost, Lisa never imagined Chaeyoung this way for she’s known to be focused and always oriented in most matters. At first Lisa hesitated whether to approach her or not for they haven’t been in touch for a while, until she saw a tear dropped from her eyes, it was her cue to step in and break their barriers.

 

Lisa quietly occupied the vacant seat beside Chaeyoung and the latter immediately knew who it was even without looking, for her strong scent of perfume is enough to recognize her. “Have you visited Jennie?” The supermodel then first talked as she asked.

 

Yet Chaeyoung bothered not to lift her head as she gives her a cold shoulder, “Not yet.”

 

“Geez, if you’re still mad at me because of what happened before, then I’m sorry, okay?” Lisa rolled her eyes but there she goes offering a can of beer. “Jennie already forgave me and we already talked. In fact I even know what happened earlier today. So, can we just, you know, set everything aside and move on? Besides, you look like a lost chipmunk here waiting for a best friend to talk to you.”

 

Chaeyoung indeed doesn’t have anyone but her best friend. She gained Chanyeol as her friend but in this circumstance, only Lisa can lend an ear for her. Thus, she reopened her heart to her as she leaned her head towards her shoulder. It’s the same dependable one whenever she feels down, but never this lost before.

 

“I just don’t know what to do…” She admitted, too vulnerable to think of anything else but her current situation.

 

“About what?”

 

“My situation. My career. Ella. Jennie. Basically everything about my life.” Chaeyoung pronounced one by one for she doesn’t know the exact words to express this heaviness in her chest.

 

Lisa sighs, “I heard it from your company staffs, about the meeting’s outcome and about the deal and plans. It sure is bothersome. Even for someone like me who’s been into few dating scandals back in the days, I’ve never encountered such problem.” But then she goes on teasing in hopes to lighten up her mood, “I also heard you accidentally confessed to Jennie during the meeting…”

 

“I went to her earlier actually…” Chaeyoung grimaced and finally, she moved a bit to drink. “She’s happy to find out about my feelings for her but I also heard her saying she’s confused and that she doesn’t know what to do like I do too. It’s frustrating that I cannot even come up with anything. I’m so pathetic and still a coward.” She further said, groaning under her breath and gripping on the can of beer tight.

 

“What do you want to hear from me, an honest opinion as a best friend or a point of view from someone who also has a career to take care of in this entertainment industry?” Lisa asked serious, shifting for a solemn conversation.

 

“Both…”

 

Lisa took one big gulp before expressing whole-heartedly, “As someone who is in this cruel world of entertainment industry where a lot of untold stories and secrets of celebrities lies, I would say you should go with the media play and go along with the game. It should be easy to ignore the news that come after with all your experiences. You built your career for years and you wouldn’t want to go on a great downfall just after you had a great comeback.”

 

“I figured you’d say that.” Chaeyoung frowned.

 

“However…” Lisa took another huge gulp of her beer and this time she forced Chaeyoung to look at her by facing each other eye-to-eye, “As your best friend I’d say you should choose Jennie, no matter what the consequences are. It sounds selfish, maybe, since you’ll take away Jennie’s job and you’ll potentially put her into danger too.”

 

“But—”

 

“Don’t interrupt me! I’m talking!” Lisa cut her off and Chaeyoung was taken aback. “Yes, either way, Jennie will get hurt. You will get hurt. The people deeply involved will get hurt, especially Ella too. It’s like you have to choose what you’re going to sacrifice, who and what you’re going to hurt.”

 

“Career or Jennie and Ella, huh?” Chaeyoung sighed.

 

“You have time to think about this carefully and while you’re on it, try to find answers while you stay with Jennie and make time with her and spend more time with Ella. I’m sorry that I cannot give you the right answer you might be searching for but, I’ll just be here.” Lisa continued and smiled for her best friend to make her feel better, at least for a bit.

 

Chaeyoung let her tears flow out continuously and attempted to stop it by drinking straight down the beer to which somewhat worked as she gained a little bit of light. “I have enough time. Yeah…” She convinced herself and finally a tint of smile brightened her face.

 

“Go back home and be with Ella. It’s getting late and you don’t want that young girl to get worried. I’ll give these flowers to Jennie and tell her you sent it, and that you can’t come since Ella needs you.” Lisa forcibly pulled her up and pushed her towards the exit.

 

“Lisa, thank you.” Chaeyoung sincerely said as Lisa turned to go on her way up to Jennie’s room.

 

“Jennie chose you even if you have no flirting skills. Be grateful.” Lisa playfully winked but before the elevator closes, she encourages her best friend, “Give Jennie a call before you sleep. Stop being coward at least for a bit and make her feel you care.”

 

“I will.”

 

The night remains unsettled, not only for Chaeyoung but also for Jennie as well. As hours passed by, she couldn’t sleep at all. She already ran out of tears and her eyes are swollen and tired, yet they stayed wide open with all these thoughts circulating in them.

 

Jennie paced around her room, sometimes stopping by the windows to check the night lights of the city from above but mostly going back to sit on her bedside to check on her phone. She waited long hours and what she has been hoping came in a while as her phone vibrated on her hand, receiving a call directly from Chaeyoung’s phone that was just returned to her.

 

“Hi.” Chaeyoung awkwardly uttered the moment Jennie answered in silence.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter