Last Chapter : Nannie's Diary

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 25 Nannie’s Diary FINALE

 

The road to success and the path to a beautiful life doesn’t consist of pure sugar and rainbows, rather the opposite. Not because it’s called ‘success’, it’s sweet and not because it’s viewed as ‘beautiful life’, it’s all victory and wins. Along the way, there’s a clashing of happiness and sorrow, battling failures and triumphs and war between ones’ courage and cowardice, rain and sunshine.

 

And because life isn’t really consisted of sugar and rainbows, expect that every day, there’s a challenge to look forward to. Just like the former superstar and the courageous woman whose life are always filled with tasks and trials to tackle, struggles are tiring yet taken with open arms as they welcome their every day knowing they have a home to embrace, a partner to support and a child to take care of.

 

“Hello everyone! Welcome to Ella’s vlog! Today, I’m recording my very first vlog. So, let me introduce myself to start.” The young girl greeted brightly as she her video-camera. Walking around their expansive home, she went on, “I’m Ella, a lucky girl loved by the two greatest moms in the world. Well, people may label me as an ‘adopted child’ but I’m happy, or should I say the happiest? Anyway, I’m a high school student and I love ballet. I join competitions and today is one of those days I’m going to compete later on. I’ll ask my moms to record it for me and maybe I can upload it too.”

 

“Ella, stop that for a minute and grab your breakfast. You’ll be late for school.” The young girl was strictly scolded from the dining room.

 

Yet the hard-headed girl acted she heard none, even advancing towards the dining room to go on recording and disturbing the one eating, “Here’s one of my moms, Chaeyoung-unnie. You guys know who she is, right? But let me introduce her still just in case some of you have forgotten about her.”

 

“Don’t disclose too much.” Chaeyoung warned as she kept her eyes on the food, continuously munching and ignoring the camera being directed straight to her face.

 

“I call her Chaeng-unnie, my musician mom.” Ella started. “She quit from the entertainment industry years ago but she now works as a producer working behind the cameras. Have you guys seen her speech that time? She was brilliant and now I’m looking up to her even more. She’s a little bit strict because she said I’m growing up and I need to know and learn more things but it feels good to know that I have a parent who scolds me.”

 

And Chaeyoung interrupted, briefly looking into the camera, “I’m not scolding you without a reason. You know why I do that.”

 

Ella just shrugged her shoulders and chuckled behind the camera. Then she continues, “She used to be my superstar but now she’s my superhero. She worked on everything while we were living in America for long years. She was busy because of us, and not because of her career. She’s a super mom.”

 

“It’s been that long, huh?” Ella’s remark somewhat stopped Chaeyoung from eating as she reminisced those good old days living a peaceful life in America.

 

It’s been years since one of the biggest challenges in Chaeyoung and Jennie’s life happened. Seeking for a peaceful life for a while, they moved to America, and for Jennie to find space as she recovers too. Despite saying it’s peaceful, it wasn’t a worry-free kind of life, it wasn’t easy and it never was pure smiles and laughter. They struggled as a family, had problems like any other families too.

 

“Ella sweetie, your lunch box is ready. I made some for your friends at school too so that you can share it with them.” The other mom said, presenting a perfectly wrapped lunch for the young girl.

 

Ella excitedly hopped towards the sink wherein she pointed the camera to the next person she introduces, “And this is my other mom, Jennie. She was my nanny but not anymore. Sometimes, she still acts like one which I don’t really like but at the same time she babies me too much which also happens to be something I really like. Quite confusing, right? You don’t know anything much about her so I’ll introduce her a little bit.”

 

“Is it really needed to say all this?” Jennie asked yet there she goes smiling for the camera as she settled down for a breakfast.

 

“Jennie-unnie is Chaeng-unnie’s ‘other half’. If my other mom is strict, Jennie-unnie is the opposite. She had a surgery years ago and for an entire year, she had to undergo a therapy until she was fully recovered. Although she can move freely again and healthy, she’s still in the process of getting back in shape and she said she’s fitted to work yet. She’s also a supermom in the sense that despite the challenges and hardships she had to go through, she’s still there for us and never left us. She’s stronger than she looks in the outside.” Ella said so proud with the widest smile on her lips.

 

Within those years, there are a lot of things that unfolded. They had fights here and there, the worst ones that almost broke them apart. They had hours when either cries to sleep, minutes when Jennie is frustrated during her therapies that she ended up venting everything to Chaeyoung. But by the end of the day, as they won’t let a single fight last a day, home is the only way back and they are each other’s home.

 

“And this is my one small happy family.” Ella ended with the perfect angle to fit the three of them in the camera.

 

Ella rechecks her record and all is perfectly captured. While she’s on it, her parents however are on complete silence, no words to exchange to each other and creating a heavy atmosphere between them. Ella can feel the wall diving them apart, but she chose to ignore it as she pretentiously stares straight down to her camera.

 

“Anyway…” Chaeyoung broke the silence faking a cough. “Enough of that recording and come join us for breakfast.” She then scolded.

 

“Let her do what she wants. She just said it’s for her first vlog.” Jennie sighed.

 

“Stop spoiling her too much. Scold her once in a while, it won’t hurt you.” Chaeyoung grumbled under her breath.

 

Jennie snapped, “What did you just say? Why do you talk like I’m at fault here?”

 

Before the fire ignites, Ella intervenes, “I’ll eat now! You don’t have to fight.”

 

The parents rolled their eyes to one another while the young girl gulped in fear. She’s used of seeing them fight but also making up immediately. Today is just one of those days that Ella has to witness this kind of argument. It’s been hours since they woke up and started their day, and it’s also been hours since Jennie is giving Chaeyoung her cold shoulders. All Chaeyoung could do is to defend herself from the wrath.

 

Ella quickly ate her breakfast so she can go back to her room and locked it. As soon as she’s all alone, she her video-camera once again to record, “Jennie-unnie is mad because Chaeng-unnie thinks she lost their wedding ring. But there’s something that Chaeng-unnie doesn’t know. I hope she realizes it soon so Jennie-unnie will stop sulking already. I can’t believe I got myself involve with my parents’ childish fight.”

 

“Ella! The guard called and your friends are already waiting for you outside!” Chaeyoung shouted from the living room.

 

“Oh, I forgot to tell you all that my moms just got married last year.” Ella whispered to the camera.

 

“Ella!” Chaeyoung again shouted.

 

The alarmed young girl quickly went out, “Yes! Coming!”

 

By the door, Jennie followed the young girl as she wears her school shoes. “We’ll be there to watch your performance. What time is it?” She then asked as she handed over her lunch box.

 

“I’ll have my classes until afternoon and I’ll go straight to the competition. You don’t have to drive me there. It’s quite close to the school and I can go by feet. I’ll just see you that the venue.” Ella said.

 

“Okay. Take care. Call me if anything.” Jennie hugged her one last time before watching her jog away.

 

Ella has gotten used to their new home. Living on the top-most floor of the condominium building, here they chose to live a humble life. It isn’t as luxurious as their old place, not as expansive as where they used to live, but sure enough a good place with the best privacy with a peaceful environment without anything much to disturb them.

 

Jennie walked back inside and ignored Chaeyoung’s pouts as she marched straight to their room. The musician watched her prepare and get changed. Until she went to face the dresser, that’s when Chaeyoung made a move to embrace her from behind and look at their molded figures through the mirror.

 

“There’s no way I really lost the ring. I’m sure it’s just around here.” Chaeyoung pouted, stealing a kiss on Jennie’s shoulder.

 

“Then where is it?” Jennie however continues with her cold shoulders, raising an eyebrow but not shrugging Chaeyoung off.

 

Chaeyoung tightened her hold as she hisses close to Jennie’s ears, “You should know very well that I was still wearing it last night when we were making love. You even said it looks y on my finger. There’s no way it magically disappeared because we’re literally stuck together and I never left.”

 

Before Jennie even melts into her seductive whispers and hands that slowly roam on her waist, she unclasped herself and faces her, stuttering, “L-Let’s make a deal then if you’re that confident you didn’t lose it.”

 

“Make sure it isn’t a torture because I won’t be able to focus at work.” Chaeyoung’s pout returned to her lips.

 

“Don’t talk to me until you find it.” Jennie challenged.

 

“What? But I—”

 

And Jennie cut her off, “You’re confident, right? Then find it if you want me to talk to you. And oh, no dinner too until you find it.”

 

Chaeyoung helplessly stood there abandoned as Jennie went on preparing herself for a day out. She cannot argue more because in the first place, Jennie has the right to be mad, that’s what she thought. It’s their wedding ring, a seal to their forever love yet it disappeared from her finger. She’s too rattled to think straight and gather her thoughts, cannot even find it properly because she’s too shocked of Jennie’s deal.

 

“This is so unfair. How can I go to work like this…?” Chaeyoung sighed hopeless.

 

Jennie left without taking a second glance anymore, even shutting the door closed aloud. Left alone, Chaeyoung took the chance on looking for the ring all over, from under the bed, from inside the pillowcases, lifting up the mattress hoping for a miracle it’s somewhere there, the bathroom, and everywhere, all corners of their humble home. She found no ring at all.

 

She rested by the bedside and from her view, she saw Jennie’s diary partially opened on top of the table. She’s tempted to open it but tells herself, “No. Don’t open it Park Chaeyoung. That’s her privacy and she will get mad even more at you if she finds out…”

 

However, because she can see a bit in between the pages, she struggled to take a peek of it, even with just few words she can see. The latest entry from last night can be seen and luckily for Chaeyoung, Jennie has been a little careless when it comes to her diary.

 

Dear Diary,

 

Chaeng is late from work again and it’s almost midnight. She’s been taking a lot of overtime these days because the company she’s working at as a producer is debuting a new girl group. She’s appointed as their producer and because the debut is approaching fast, she wanted their album to be perfect. She’s a musician and she respect music so much she doesn’t want a single mistake on her part. I understand that side of hers, but these days, she been spending more time with those girls than with me. They’re a group of pretty girls too and to think that Chaeng is often alone with them in the studio, ah, I don’t know. I guess I got used to her treating me like a baby too much in the past years and focusing only on me that’s why I sulk like this over a simple matter. I’ll just wait for her to come home.

 

With Love,

Jennie

 

“Is she… jealous?” Chaeyoung assumed.

 

As Chaeyoung assumed and to vent this emotion out, Jennie met her best friend Jisoo at the fitness gym they’ve been going to for months now. Faster than anyone else around, Jennie runs on the treadmill while everyone is just merely warming up with a walk. Those burning eyes darted straight into the mirror plus the curses under her breath cannot be left unnoticeable too as it gets louder each time.

 

“She’s so stupid…” Jennie barked.

 

Jisoo was even contemplating whether to talk or not, but because more eyes are staring towards her, she cautiously tapped her, “Relax. I don’t know what happened this time but I think you shouldn’t force yourself to work out today if you feel bothered.”

 

Jennie finally stopped. She made her way to the closest bench she can rest on and groans in between her heavy pants, “Does she really think a one-night can fix everything? Why is she so naïve?”

 

“You’re saying that but you married her even though she did the most unromantic marriage proposal ever in the history.” Jisoo teased as she followed.

 

“Why do you have to remind me about it?” Jennie rolled her eyes and her mind inevitably recalled that day Chaeyoung went on her knees for marriage.

 

Chaeyoung had plans on that particular day. She was preparing for surprises and perfect day to put this ring on Jennie and go on her knees to ask for marriage. While Jennie was busy and occupied with her therapy sessions, there’s Chaeyoung running for errands, looking for perfect places to propose with the most romantic set-up she can come up with.

 

However, none of those planning really worked as she ended up proposing on an unexpected day, earlier than she planned, completely out of nowhere. She met this married woman at the rehabilitation center, same area where Jennie does her sessions. She learned a lot from her and asked for advises about married life. Yet, because Jennie viewed their close conversations differently, Chaeyoung accidentally blurted out about her plans for proposal during a heated argument with Ella witnessing it all.

 

“Enough about her.” Jennie exhaled and moves on to calm down, “How about you unnie, Lisa is coming back soon from an overseas schedule, right? Any plans with her?”

 

“She just said we’ll meet at the airport when she arrives. Aside from that, nothing more.” Jisoo frowned.

 

And it’s Jennie’s turn to tease, smirking, “Why, are you expecting something more? Like maybe, confession or maybe a steamy night or something…”

 

“We used to wonder how Chaeyoung and Lisa became best friends, but now I know why and it’s because they’re both cowards. Isn’t it normal for me to expect something already especially when it’s been years since she’s been obviously showing signs? Or am I just assuming? I don’t even know how to label this relationship anymore. Am I her girlfriend? Or am I just a supportive friend to her? Seriously… I don’t know with her but my weak heart just cannot leave her.” Jisoo breathlessly ranted.

 

“Ah, I think I know how that feels, not knowing where you stand in someone’s life.” Jennie sighed as she thought of those young days when she wasn’t sure of Chaeyoung’s feelings for her yet.

 

Lisa and Jisoo have become each other’s support system throughout the years. Though they aren’t together every single day, either one of them finds time for each other, especially on those days they feel lost or empty. Lisa has been steadily dating Jisoo, and her only. She gradually learned how to look at only one woman. However, within those years, Lisa had never once expressed what she truly feels inside.

 

“She just left me a lengthy cheesy message this morning and she didn’t respond anymore. She’s just so weird.” Jisoo grimaced and showed the message to her best friend.

 

In this world full of lies,

Longing for you is the only truth.

On these days we’re apart,

Vast city is all I stare missing you.

Ending the day with a frown,

Yearning to hold you is all I think of.

Only you, just you…

Under my breath I whisper at night,

Jisoo.

 

Jennie blushed at the message that came like a poem. She commented none but her jaw dropped as she read it, not only because she was amazed Lisa can be romantic, but it’s also because she realized the real message behind these cheesy words, the hidden truth in every line. Surprisingly, Jisoo failed to decode and Jennie is unsure whether to tell her or not.

 

“At least she’s more romantic than Chaeng. These days, Chaeng would just kiss me goodbye then go to work, then come back home exhausted most of the times. You’re lucky you got Lisa who makes an effort doing this to you even though she’s the busiest model in the universe right now.” Jennie carelessly blabbered just after few minutes she said she didn’t want to talk about her.

 

“Do you regret marrying her now?” Jisoo questioned.

 

Jennie though immediately clarifies, “I didn’t say that. It’s just you know… I miss the old days she isn’t doing anything but to take care of us. It sounds selfish, right? I was kind of spoiled, I won’t deny that. Do you think I’m being childish?”

 

“Sort of. Well, both of you are wrong. Chaeyoung is always at work that she spends more time with others than with you and I get it, you want to be with her more. But there’s also you being stubborn and not telling her anything about what you feel when it’s better to be open about matters like this. She’s not a magician or whatever to read your mind so voice it out. Also, maybe try not to be jealous too much. She might think you don’t trust her.” Jisoo shared openly.

 

“It’s the people around her that I don’t trust, not her.” Jennie pouted.

 

And Jisoo just pinched her puffy cheeks, “Expect that people will have crush on her. You married a gorgeous musician anyway, but look at her deeply in love with you. So you better talk it out or else it will get bigger until you won’t be able to turn back anymore.”

 

“Yeah…”

 

Bothered as Jennie is, Chaeyoung went to work filled with thoughts. There she sat at the recording studio right after doing final checks with the new girl group, blankly staring into a space. She chose not to be too friendly with them, especially after knowing Jennie’s feelings from the diary entry she ‘accidentally’ read. She’s trying to figure things out on her own, only to fail and ended up needing someone’s advice.

 

“You called me?” The man entered and found the wrecked musician spinning her chair around. “Why, are you troubled with the girl group’s performance? Are they doing badly?”

 

“Chanyeol…” Chaeyoung hummed his name, staring up the ceiling. “It’s not really about them. They’re doing well actually.” She breathed long and stopped to show the man her downhearted expression.

 

With that face, Chanyeol immediately knew, “Ah, I see. It’s about your wife.”

 

As he joined her for a seat, Chanyoung opens up, “I’ve been too caught up working that I’m failing to notice how she feels. It’s been years since the last time I worked and this comeback as a producer really fired me up. Well, too fired up I unintentionally ignored my family’s needs already. You can say I got too excited to work again and somehow, I’m unknowingly hurting her. Maybe Ella too, it’s just that she’s also busy with school that’s why she isn’t saying a thing.”

 

“Distance, huh?”

 

“And to make things worse, I misplaced our wedding ring.” Chaeyoung groaned and in disbelief her head dropped down.

 

“Seriously?” Chanyeol gasped and Chaeyoung barely bobbed her head. “Hey, this is bad. Of all things you can lose, it’s your wedding ring? Damn, your wife will definitely keep the distance for a while.”

 

“She’s being unreasonable too.” Chaeyoung further said. “She’s getting jealous with this girl group because she thinks I’m spending more time with them than with her. That’s not really the case and I didn’t want her to feel like that.” She whined.

 

Chanyeol chuckles, “You can’t help it. You’ve been so into your work lately like what you said and it’s pretty much normal to feel jealous, especially when she doesn’t know what you’re doing.”

 

“You’re right. I admit I sometimes forget to update her while we’re apart. Maybe that’s why she’s having those unwanted thoughts.” Chaeyoung helplessly admitted and her head could only go lower in dismay.

 

Chanyeol tended closer as she challenges the musician, “Try to imagine if something similar also happens to you. If your wife hangs out more with her friends than spending time at home with you, how would you feel?”

 

“I’d ask her if it’s possible to stay home more to be with me after a long day of work.” Chaeyoung straightaway responded.

 

And Chanyeol further tests, “If she focuses more on her demanding work than on you, how will you feel about it?”

 

“I’d feel like she’s being distant and that hurts as hell.” Chaeyoung frowned, slowly realizing the gaps with their marriage.

 

“When things come to the worst-case scenario…” Chanyeol turned too serious that he gave Chaeyoung some uneasiness in her chest. “…if she starts appreciating someone else’s effort and she becomes happier and more comfortable being with that person, what will you do?”

 

By the mere thought of it, Chaeyoung felt her world crumbling apart before her eyes. It’s possible to happen, particularly with these recent days she only comes home late night, these days she rarely listens to Jennie’s voice because either she’s sleeping when she comes home or she demands to make love with her before dozing off. These lacking are painful now that Chaeyoung put herself in Jennie’s shoes.

 

“No way. I won’t let that happen.” Chaeyoung mumbled, still pained at the thought of losing Jennie.

 

“Let’s say you make love every night but the next day she feels like you’re being distant again, it’s no use. It’s more like you only wanted to release your lust you felt the whole day rather than making love at that point.” Chanyeol bluntly went on as Chaeyoung eventually stoned in her seat.

 

“That wasn’t my intention at all. I mean it every time we do it.” Chaeyoung defended herself.

 

“But that’s not how you make her feel these days.” Chanyeol instantly swatted her defense.

 

“I… I don’t know.”

 

Chanyeol makes his stand, “Just because she’s already your wife and you managed to secure her a good life with a family, that doesn’t mean that your efforts on staying in love should stop and that doesn’t mean you’re also sure you won’t lose her. You can still lose her, even with that ring on her finger. Marriage is not an assurance you won’t lose the person you love, rather it’s more on deepening the love and going to another level of understanding each other.”

 

“What should I do…? I really made her feel bad.” Chaeyoung groaned in so much disappointment.

 

“It’s not entirely your fault though.” Chanyeol though corrected. “I think Jennie should also adjust and she should learn how to be open and honest with you all the time, rather than waiting for you to feel everything. You’re not perfect, and so she is.”

 

Because of this open and heart-to-heart talk with a trusted friend she earned through the years, a sudden realization sparked on Chaeyoung’s mind on where her wedding ring could possibly be. Thinking back the night before, she was sure she has it still. She woke up still wearing it. The only time she took it off was when she took a bath as she’s afraid it might fall off from the shower. She’s always done it and surely Jennie is aware of it too.

 

Chaeyoung gathered her thoughts tightly together and finally she found an answer, realizing, “Jennie has my ring.”

 

“She might be testing you.” Chanyeol smirked.

 

Interrupting their conversation, Chaeyoung’s phone rings loud, a call coming from Jisoo and she was immediately answered, “Your wife asked me to ask you where the hell you are because the ballet competition will start in an hour and you’re not around yet. Stop flirting with those girls too much and look at your family once in a while too.”

 

“I’m not flirting with anyone, tell that to her.” Chaeyoung protested.

 

“She said those words, okay? I just delivered because she doesn’t want to talk to you yet.” Jisoo whistled. “We’re at the venue by the way. We’ll just see you here.” She then hung up.

 

Chanyeol laughs, “See? You better go and earn some points again.”

 

“Thank you. It was a good choice asking for your help.” Chaeyoung winked and dashed out of her work to check on her family.

 

“Marriage sure is complicated, huh? I might just stay single if it’s like that.” Chanyeol sighed to himself.

 

In one of the most well-known theaters in the country, here is where the ballet competition takes place. It isn’t fully-packed as of the moment for the competition still starts in few hours. Nonetheless, Jennie already reserved seats in the front to ensure she’ll get Ella’s best videos and photos, like any proud mother would probably do to their daughters.

 

“Ella is already at the backstage preparing. How I wish I’m allowed to go check on her. I’m nervous.” Jennie said as she’s uneasy just sitting down, doing nothing but to wait with her cold hands.

 

“You’ll make her even more nervous if you go there just to show how uneasy you are.” Jisoo retorted.

 

Jennie never missed Ella’s performances, may it be on school programs or competitions. She’s always been present may the young girl wins or loses. And she always gets the front-most seat, with or without Chaeyoung to witness it all. Aside from fulfilling these tasks as a mother or even as an unnie to Ella, she also doesn’t want Ella to feel alone on her most important da

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter