Chapter 6 : Guilt

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 6 Guilt

 

Jennie, during those days she served as a nanny and lived under Chaeyoung’s place, is already used of waking up in her extravagant room and sleeping in a comfortable bed. She almost forgot how it feels like to sleep in her cranky old bed and spending a morning in an empty apartment room. She got accustomed with serving Ella and Chaeyoung their breakfasts as her day opener and now that it’s all over, she feels indifferent staring at her blank ceiling as she opens her eyes to start a brand new day.

 

“Jennie! Jennie! I know you’re inside! Get out of there!”

 

Jennie jolted up from her bed, startled of these series of loud and hard knocks coming from her door. She quickly wrapped her body with her old blanket as she’s wearing her revealing set of pajamas and quickens even more as she recognized these yells of an old woman. It’s the landlady and Jennie can never be mistaken for she has experienced the same scenarios within these years she’s living in this apartment complex.

 

“Yes ma’am? I’m here.” Jennie showed a sloppy grin for she knows why the old landlady is burning in frustration on such an early morning.

 

The landlady smacks the paper on her chest as she enrages, “When are you planning to pay your rent? You’re already two months delayed and I tried so hard to understand you because I know you’re having a tough time on earning! But this is too much! I won’t take any excuses this time Jennie!”

 

“Hold on a second ma’am. I’ll just go get some money.” Jennie excused herself and went to check her jeans’ pocket which unfortunately, only had few bills left. “I’m supposed to use this for my foods and needs…” She sighed while gaping at this few amounts left in her hand.

 

“Don’t dare you escape from me!” The landlady warned as she saw Jennie standing still with her back facing her.

 

Jennie halfheartedly walked back to the landlady and though it pains her, she hands over the bills and utters, “This is all I have. Please accept it as my payment for now. I promise I’ll pay you within the week.”

 

“This isn’t even enough for a month rent! If you cannot pay within today, I’m sorry but I have to kick you out of here!” The landlady complained as she shouted, causing some neighboring tenants to close their windows in order not to hear Jennie being shamed.

 

 “Sorry, I’ll do my best to pay you until tonight. Please give me time.” Jennie bowed down.

 

The landlady however interrogates strict, “How am I sure that you will even come back to pay?”

 

“Excuse me, what’s happening here?”

 

Jennie straightened herself and found a fine tall woman in disguise. For the landlady she’s a mystery but Jennie immediately recognized Lisa underneath that signature bucket hat she always uses when wandering around out of her schedules. Her presence is unexpected, needless to say, and Jennie can only stand there lowering down her head in humiliation.

 

“Who are you?” The annoyed landlady asked the supermodel in disguise.

 

Lisa proudly introduces herself, “I’m her friend and I’m here for a visit.”

 

“Tell your friend right here to pay her two months’ worth of rent within today or else I’ll throw her out!” The landlady vented it out to the clueless supermodel.

 

Lisa, while looking at Jennie whose eyes cannot even lift up to look up on her, she carefully questions the old lady, “How much does she have to pay you?”

 

The landlady handed the document for Lisa to check it herself. Without saying anything anymore, as soon as Lisa checked the balance, she brought out her wallet and took out the amount that the landlady has been asking. The money came out of Lisa’s wallet like a candy she’s willing to give away to anyone, like a chocolate bar she wouldn’t even ask why she’s being asked for it.

 

“Wait…” Obviously, the poor Jennie is shocked by this act and gazed at Lisa’s eye smile hiding beneath her hat.

 

“I’ll pay for everything. Is that enough? Or does she have anything more to pay from you so I can also settle it?” Lisa asked the landlady and ignored Jennie’s protest she couldn’t even utter.

 

The landlady counted in front of them and later with a satisfied smile she confirms, “Yes, this is enough. Jennie never told me she got a rich friend to rescue her. If I only knew then I would have also asked you to pay since then young one.”

 

The landlady left giggling and endlessly counting the money until she disappeared from their sight. Jennie can only feel so embarrassed in front of a world known supermodel, though her friend as proclaimed by Lisa. She never asked to be rescued, yet at the same time it came at a right time when she desperately needed it. Jennie wouldn’t dare to ask Lisa for help yet again, what a blessing.

 

“Thank you, Lisa.” Jennie formally bowed down. “I’ll pay it back as soon as I’ve earned enough. I’m just in a pinch right now so I don’t really have any too.” She then said regrettably.

 

“Don’t mind about it. You don’t have to pay me back. And besides, you have loans and debts to pay, right? Just focus on those at least for this month.” Lisa winked but Jennie gave her a confused look and thus Lisa immediately clarifies, “Oh, I heard a little bit about your situation from Chaeyoung that’s why I knew about loans and debts thing.”

 

“Is that so?” Jennie sighed.

 

“Also, I heard what happened from her too, that she fired you after the accident with her guitar and trophy racks. She ranted to me about everything so yeah…” Lisa spoke cautious for Jennie is at her grimace.

 

Jennie forces out a smile, “There’s nothing much I can do about it. Everything happens for a reason, I believe. We weren’t getting along well from the start, even with Chaeyoung. And maybe I’m not really qualified to be in that position, to be a perfect nanny for Ella.”

 

“Will you be alright? Have you found a new job?” Lisa asked anxious for she can detect that Jennie is forcing herself to stay positive with those uncomfortable grins.

 

Jennie though dejectedly shakes her head, “I haven’t found a new one actually. But I’ll be out all day again to search a new one.”

 

“If you want…” Lisa stepped closer to her. “…I can give you a new job. Are you in?” She smirked.

 

Naturally Jennie asks eager, “What is it? Tell me and I’m on it!”

 

“Do you want to become my personal assistant? I’m actually looking for one because my agency told me that I need to have at least one because I’ve been travelling in and out of the country a lot and that I need someone to tag along with me all the time to check on me. So, I thought that you’re perfect for the job and I’d prefer to have you since we know each other already.” Lisa explained.

 

“Oh…” Jennie was put into a pause.

 

Indeed, it’s a great offer. The salary is surely huge, the benefits will be superb and in addition, Jennie will get to travel out of the country with a supermodel. Being Lisa’s personal assistant will also get Jennie to know other models she works with. Everything sounds great and satisfying. However, for some reason Jennie is still contemplating and couldn’t give a straight and immediate answer.

 

“Is it a no?” Lisa had to ask for Jennie spaced out in front of her.

 

Jennie blinked her eyes as she goes back to the reality. “Can you give me time to think about it? I’m thankful that you’re offering me such an important job but I think I need more time to think about this.” She humbly asked in return.

 

“I understand. Is it alright if I give you two days to think about it? The position is quite urgent so I also have to get an answer from you as soon as possible.” Lisa pleaded.

 

To which Jennie assures, “Yeah sure. Two days…”

 

“I’ll be expecting an answer from you and I’ll meet you again soon. Don’t be so hard on yourself, okay?”

 

Lisa gave the older yet shorter woman a pat in the head before she walked out in order to comfort her and somehow it does worked a little. Jennie has been constantly worried about what happened and how Ella is doing after that day she sacrificed for her. Though Jennie isn’t asking anything in return from the young girl, she genuinely thinks of her safety.

 

“Ella sure annoys me but I can’t help but to worry about her. I hope she doesn’t feel bad anymore.” Jennie thought and went to start her hectic day on job-hunting once again.

 

As bothered as she can be is Chaeyoung whose day is starting with an emergency meeting, rather than going straight to prepare her upcoming album. She’s still fuming of what happened to her guitar and definitely this won’t go away anytime soon. However, at the same time, she cannot take it off her mind how she sent Jennie away so easily without thinking twice, how her flaring heart chose not to be softened by Jennie’s painful and hurtful situation as well.

 

“Why the hell did you fire the nanny?” This was the welcome greeting of an executive as he entered the meeting room, not even minding to start anything properly.

 

“And what about it?” Chaeyoung argued but stayed calm in her seat.

 

The executive rolled his eyes and expresses in dismay, “I heard what happened from your manager and yes the nanny did make a mistake for accidentally wrecking your precious guitar and ruining your place. But really Chaeyoung, is firing her the only option you have?”

 

“I had no choice! Ella also doesn’t like her and Ella was almost hurt that day too. I do admit she’s doing a great job up until she did that mistake and everything changed. I cannot afford to let her make such more mistake in the future especially when Ella is involved.” Chaeyoung reasoned out and went up on her seat to contend her point.

 

“Did you ever think of the consequences before firing her?” He questioned and Chaeyoung was put into a silence. “Jennie already invaded your space. She already knows a lot about you and perhaps she might have gathered something that she can use against you. If Jennie decides to go out there and expose anything she knows about you and can go against you, your anticipated comeback will be ruined and your career will be at stake!” He strictly reminded and groaned in disappointment towards their musician.

 

It’s only then that Chaeyoung recalled Jennie does have something with her that might end her career in a snap. Jennie still has that evidence of them kissing and her groping on the floor, somewhere stored in her phone, at least that’s what Chaeyoung believed. Though it’s a false accusation, this kind of uproar will cause different opinions throughout the internet and in a blink of an eye, her life would be a circus.

 

However, Chaeyoung holds onto her pride as she highly contends, “I don’t care if she does something to me. I didn’t do anything wrong and I’m certain that people will believe me and not someone like her!”

 

“Chaeyoung…” The manager entered and witnessed Chaeyoung’s rants. He glared at her disappointed and voices out, “I’ve been working for you for how many years now and I know you’re not this kind of person who would talk things like this to someone, even if they did something wrong. What’s going on with you?”

 

“I also felt bad that I had to fire her but Ella is involved. I just cannot stay and pretend like I’m an angel all the time when I see her getting hurt. I have to protect Ella. I don’t even want a single mosquito to bite her. I don’t even want her to get the tiniest scratch.” Chaeyoung frowned.

 

Chaeyoung, for the people working for the company and for her, has always been known as sweet and soft-spoken, humble as well, regardless if they are rich or poor. She lets mistakes slide and she can overlook it as she’s known to be someone who is understanding, after all she came from a scratch and zero. Yet, meeting Jennie and protecting Ella at all cost are bringing out everything in her that no one has seen so far.

 

“We have a problem!” A staff came rushing in urgency, out of breath as she approached Chaeyoung.

 

“Why? What happened?” The worried Chaeyoung asked.

 

The staff pants as she discloses, “A guard from Ella’s school reported that she didn’t attend her afternoon classes and she was seen escaping during lunch break. They tried to chase her but she quickly took a cab and drove away. No one knows where she’s going.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter