Chapter 5 : End of Contract

Nannie's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 5 End of Contract

 

The day is starting good for the hardworking nanny. Though Ella has been acting a more aloof and distant than before, all that matters for Jennie is to do her job right and clean. Of course, it worries her that the girl hasn’t said a single word to her yet at the same time she’s closely getting used to this kind of treatment. If Ella is this tough and cheeky, Jennie can take it, or so she thought she can.

 

Jennie ignored the cold behavior from Ella throughout the morning until in the afternoon she arrived. She let her pass for she is more focused on making this full-set dinner before Chaeyoung’s arrival from work. It’s the weekend and like how it’s written on Chaeyoung’s rules and reminders for herself, the musician comes back home earlier than her busy and jam-packed weekdays.

 

“All set!” The proud Jennie of her own cook lovingly stared at the prepared table, not for her to eat but for the two she’s living with.

 

“I’m home.” And just in time Chaeyoung arrived, fatigued and worn-out as she appears in her dropping shoulders and sluggish strides going straight to the dining table. However, as soon as she found the table that appeared sparkling before her eyes filled with dishes she never had in a long time, her stress vanished in a snap, her frown turning into a huge grin as she’s delighted, “Wow! You made all of these foods?”

 

Jennie gave her a proud two thumbs up, also beaming confident, “I did! I’ve been learning how to cook better so Ella could eat more too and stop ordering take-outs too much for her. It’s unhealthy so I’ve been searching for new recipes online to try.”

 

“You’re getting a lot better. That’s nice.” Chaeyoung nodded as she complimented the cook before taking her own seat. “Ella! Come out of your room. Dinner is ready!” She then called out for the girl who has been giving Jennie sharp glares.

 

Jennie offered the seat across Chaeyoung for Ella to sit on and she did occupy it, raising an eyebrow to Jennie however. Ella herself is amazed of how the table was prepared and it was somehow apparent on how opened and drooled. Yet, as she saw how Jennie is giggling at her reaction, she immediately retreated her glee and put back her resting face as if nothing happened.

 

“She kind of acts like Chaeyoung…” Jennie had this thought and stood at the corner to watch them eat.

 

Since Jennie started working for them, she never joined them for any meals as she lets them eat first and she’ll go last whatever is left. Though Chaeyoung has been always kind enough to leave enough for her and sometimes offered that vacant seat beside her, she thought it wouldn’t be right to join them like a part of the family. Thus, she insisted on either standing idle while they eat or she finds something else to work on around.

 

And for this day she chose to do something else while she listens to Chaeyoung’s satisfied hums as she chews and gulps big in every bite. “I’m glad she likes it. I see that she’s pretty responsive too when it comes to foods.” She hid her thrilled giggles as she went to the balcony to water the plants that are withering.

 

Chaeyoung is enjoying too much she couldn’t even talk to Ella who has been eyeing on her the entire time she’s eating while she leaves her plate untouched. The foods served before her is truly tempting and mouth-watering but because of her loathe and disapproval with Jennie, she holds her pride and never going to touch anything, not even her spoon and fork.

 

Ella pouted as Chaeyoung is too engulfed with the foods Jennie made. And so, she thought of a plan. She strongly pushed the plate and made a noise enough for Jennie to hear from the balcony and rushed back to see what happened. The plate fell down the floor and broke into pieces, shocking Chaeyoung as well who didn’t see this attitude coming.

 

“Ella, what’s wrong? Why did you do that?” Chaeyoung grilled and glared at Ella in disbelief.

 

Ella furrowed her eyebrows and coldly responds, “I don’t want to eat and I don’t like the foods. I lost my appetite.”

 

“Ella, why are you acting like this?” Chaeyoung was starting to get pissed that her tone pitched higher than her usual.

 

Jennie detected an argument is about to come, hence she intercepts to avoid it, “It’s okay Chaeyoung. Maybe it’s not her taste. And maybe I can just make another that she likes.”

 

“I don’t like anything! I hate you both! You never listen to me!” Ella barked and stormed out of the dining room and shut herself back to her room.

 

Chaeyoung was completely stunned. Though she has been witnessing her coldness and distant attitude lately, she’s going on another level. Ella’s attitudes towards Jennie are getting worse while the latter has so much patience with her as she isn’t letting her get into her nerves yet. Which is amazing Chaeyoung however, for Jennie surprisingly has more tolerance for Ella than she has for her.

 

Jennie picks up the pieces of broken plate on the floor while breathing deep to contain her emotions from coming out. “She’ll come out later to eat for sure. There are milk and cookies, and some instant noodles in the cabinets. I know that Ella doesn’t like me so I’m not surprised she acts like this. I’ll just wait for the day she accepts me totally.” She expressed upon picking up the last piece.

 

“It’s not okay. Ella shouldn’t be like that towards anyone. I didn’t teach her to be like that and I don’t want you to think I’m a bad influence to her too.” She sighed out of frustration and took the broken plate from Jennie’s hand so she could hold it herself and throw it into the bin.

 

Jennie let Chaeyoung help her and how surprised she is that Chaeyoung can actually be really caring. From barely talking to her, hating her and giving her glares for her first days at work, she’s slowly changing and showing who she really is, Chaeyoung’s true colors that Jennie has always been curious of. Jennie is touched and the tears she was about to drop because of standing up with Ella’s attitudes ceased to fall.

 

“It takes time to convince her. Besides, I want to understand her too just like what you asked me to do. We were all once defiant at some point in our lives when we were younger, when we were at Ella’s age, right?” Jennie flashed a smile when Chaeyoung cleaned the stained floor for her.

 

“Why, were you like that to your parents?” Chaeyoung asked and went to sit back while Jennie remained by the sink.

 

“Well, I think so?” Jennie’s smile turned forced upon being reminded of her parents.

 

Chaeyoung saw the change in her expression and was immediately haunted by guilt. “Oh, sorry. It’s not a good topic, huh? Sorry for asking.”

 

“It’s okay.” Jennie simply replied.

 

Just before Jennie could even pass by her and get out of the dining room, Chaeyoung stops her by asking, “Why don’t you join me for dinner? Sit here with me and let’s eat.”

 

“But I—”

 

“I insist and it’s an order. Now go and take your seat and let’s eat.” Chaeyoung voiced strict and Jennie got no other choice but to occupy that seat Ella was once sitting at.

 

Jennie feels too cautious in every bite she takes for this is the first time she’ll ever join Chaeyoung for a meal, also even sitting across her. From time to time she takes a glimpse of her and she would get caught, turning this dinner awkward and heart-pounding for Jennie.

 

“Is there a problem? You keep looking at me.” Chaeyoung at last broke her silence after getting enough of Jennie’s glances she cannot overlook anymore after few times of catching her doing so.

 

Jennie sits reserved, “Can I be honest?” She asked and got a quiet nod from Chaeyoung who gave her full attention as she let go of her fork to look at her. “I didn’t expect you’re actually this nice. I thought you’re totally different in person than how you usually act on televisions and shows. And I didn't really view you that very well so I thought you're a bit wild.” She openly expressed but also careful as she voiced.

 

Chaeyoung blushed at her honest remark and before she could even go deaf with her heart that pounded loud for few beats, she counters aggressive, “Did you really think I’m a bad person because of what happened to us back in the nightclub?”

 

“Yes. You look unapproachable and intimidating too. It was hard to talk with you before but now I feel like I can approach you easier.” Jennie said straightforward that Chaeyoung’s jaw dropped in shock.

 

“Oh my God, I can’t believe you. I’m not that kind of person okay?” Chaeyoung shakes off her head and goes back on digging in her foods. “Anyway, tomorrow’s your day off. If you want you can go back home tonight or early morning tomorrow. It’s your choice.” She then changed the topic to terminate the redness in her face and end this awkward situation.

 

‘Happily irritated’, if that kind of sensation even exists, that’s how Chaeyoung is feeling as she finishes her dinner with Jennie. Because she doesn’t have friends in her career and oftentimes alone during promotions back in the days, Chaeyoung has been always spending her meals with either Ella or Lisa at home. For this reason, having a new person like Jennie, never had she thought it would feel different in a way she’s uneasy yet happy.

 

While Jennie is enjoying a dinner with Chaeyoung, Jisoo meanwhile cannot take off her worries for her best friend. They haven’t been in touch for days too much, not as much as how they used to be, for Jennie has always been occupied with her own works, her own struggles living with the expansive place but with such a heavy and difficult state of affairs.

 

Jisoo let out her thousandth sigh while she works worrying about Jennie far from her. “I wonder if they are treating Jennie right in that house. If only I’m allowed to pay a visit I already did.” She talked to herself and unknowingly spoke it too loudly that the cashier near her heard her saying.

 

“Is there something wrong?” The cashier asked.

 

“My best friend was recently hired as a nanny and I’m just worried, that’s all. I haven’t talked to her since yesterday so I’m wondering if she’s doing alright.” Jisoo said honest yet limited.

 

As she goes back to work, the television’s program switched to a variety show where Lisa is a guest as the cashier tuned it in. “I’m a fan of Lisa. She’s really cool and I’ve been waiting for this variety show episode to air.” The cashier said excited and focused on the show while customers aren’t around yet for her to attend to.

 

Jisoo decided to join her and also looks up on the television mounted on the corner. Her smiles, her laughs and her personality on-cam, everything’s just the same when she acts in real life as what she had personally experienced. “It’s not a fan service after all.” She acknowledged after being convinced of Lisa’s genuine acts yet also giggled as she remembered how weird she could actually get that perhaps none of her fans know.

 

“Thank you for joining us Lisa!” The host clapped as the casts welcomes her.

 

“It’s great to be here and thank you so much for inviting me!” Lisa made those little hops of joy that thrilled the host and everyone hooted.

 

As they take note of Lisa’s jolly attitude and radiating elegance, one of the casts asks, “I’ve always known Lisa as someone who is very pretty and she look like a goddess from the magazines and runways. But as I see her now, she surprisingly looks a lot more beautiful.”

 

“Could it be that our supermodel right here is inspired? You’re always blooming everywhere we see you on magazines but you seem to be more thriving today.” The host grilled and suspiciously smirked at Lisa as a part of the show, to add some topics that will surely be seen on the articles.

   

Lisa smiles timid as she scratches her head then she humbly replies, “I’m just happy to be here for the first time and of course, I’m always inspired.”

 

“Is there someone inspiring you these days?” They went on the intrigue and everyone tended closer to her with their ears fully-opened to hear her response.

   

Lisa was signaled by her manager from behind the camera, giving her an X sign, which indicates she should avoid the question and stay with the script given. Yet, Lisa ignored him and went on giving an honest response with the widest smile, “There is someone actually but I can’t tell more than that. Let’s proceed!”

 

As if it’s a breaking news, everyone gasped and the entire set was shaken. As seconds passed by articles immediately started popping out from one to another, some even overanalyzing her words that they made a headline of Lisa having a secret lover. The cashier also joined the gasps but there’s Jisoo who seemed unmoved with her direct response.

 

“Hey Jisoo, you personally know Lisa, right?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter