Chapter Twenty-One

Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Maybe following Jiwon's advice would've actually been a good idea. The morning after they'd returned to Korea, Donghwa called them to his office and placed brown envelopes in front of them, his expression hard and unamused.

"What's up, hyung? What's this?" Donghae questioned as he unsealed the flap and pulled out a sheet, raising a confused eyebrow at Donghwa. (Y/N) looked over the document and then hissed a curse, which made Donghae look at her in surprise and then down at the sheet, "oh, shoot."

"What the hell, brats?! When were you planning on telling us about this? How could you lie to us, to me, like that?" Donghwa burst and Donghae's head fell in shame before he bit his lip and sighed, "sorry, hyung, we didn't mean to-"

"You are married! Why did you even think of hiding that from us? You two are in so much trouble, oh my, our fathers will ground you for life when I tell them!" Donghwa exclaimed and (Y/N)'s face paled before she tugged at Donghae's sleeve almost beggingly, "Donghae, we can't do that. What about-"

"Hyung, no, please. Please, don't tell anyone. You can't tell them. Hyung, please," Donghae begged and Donghwa huffed in disbelief, "why shouldn't I, Donghae? You've fooled us for six years. Is that why you stayed in America all that time? So, you could live as that fake little dream you've made for yourselves?"

"No, hyung, that's not it-" Donghae tried, but it was obvious that Donghwa wasn't ready to listen and had enough of everything they were saying as he responded, "then what, Donghae?! You broke our fathers' trust and want to take over the company too?! I agreed that you two were most competent, but what you've hidden from both families is ridiculous!"

"Hyung, no, we-we don't want to take over the company. That's why appa gave us a trial period. But, hyung, it's not that... honestly, you can't tell appa, because..." Donghae trailed off as his eyes flitted around the office in nervousness before he sighed deeply and looked up at Donghwa with regret, "hyung, we have a life back in America. It's not just us, we, well, actually, we have a child together."

There was a total silence that lasted two minutes after Donghae made that statement. Donghwa's jaw dropped and opened in shock and (Y/N)'s eyes were wide since she hadn't expected Donghae to make that claim in front of Donghwa. Slowly, Donghwa regained his senses and his eyes flew open, "what?!"

"Yes, hyung, we have a two-year-old who lives in America with our friend... that's why you can't tell appa, please. We never wanted the CEO positions in the first place. We wanted to finish our trial period, go back to America with the money they will give for the business and raise our child. We never even planned to return to Korea in the first place, hyung," Donghae explained honestly and Donghwa's expression slowly turned from shocked to serious and to sympathetic.

"You- you were planning on leaving us forever? You know, neither appa nor eomma would ever be okay with that. You're their maknae son and eldest daughter. Both families. How were you going to up and leave without a word?" Donghwa asked in a strangely hurt tone and Donghae looked up at him helplessly before he sighed, "hyung, it's not..."

"I expected better from you. From you both. I wanted to believe you weren't lying the moment I saw the certificate. How could you... I can't believe appa for your education and life overseas just for you to come back and stab him in the back," Donghwa said in a tone of disappointment that made Donghae and (Y/N) glance at each other before they bowed their heads in shame, "we're sorry, hyung. We really are, but... but, we have a life back in America too. We can't leave our son there-"

"Son... wait, you're actually being serious? You really have a kid?" Donghwa asked in a smaller voice and (Y/N) glanced up shortly but it was Donghae who answered, his face beaming with a smile, "yes, he's only two. Aiden Lee. He's an angel, hyung."

"Well, if he's your son, then that's no surprise... but, still... you were seriously considering leaving Korea for good? You can't financially survive alone, not to mention, with a son at hand," Donghwa said seriously and Donghae looked up again, his lower lip, "hyung, the lump sum appas will give us will be enough. We're going to make a small business and live in America with our son. We'll get disowned once we tell them, that's why we're telling them we're married before we leave."

"So, you're serious about this? Leaving after three months?" Donghwa asked seriously and Donghae released a soft sigh, but (Y/N) spoke this time and held Donghae's fingers lightly, "we don't want the positions, Donghwa oppa, we just want to be with Aiden and we've already accepted the fact that he'd be our only family once we tell our parents the truth. That's why we're going to leave quietly. So, we don't disappoint them even further."

"I don't think this is right," Donghwa said and then released a sigh as he finally sat down, a defeated expression on his face, "but, I understand. I'll keep it a secret, until you are ready to tell them. If ever you two need anything... I am always your brother, you know that, right?"

"Thank you," they both said softly and bowed to Donghwa before the older cleared his throat slowly and gained a sheepish look on his face, "uh, by the way. I thought you should know that I've already known all this since before Jeno was born. I just wanted to see where you stood now."

"You what?!" Donghae blurted in disbelief and Donghwa shrugged his shoulders while (Y/N) gave him a look full of betrayal, "you knew this whole time? How?!"

"Henry is Heechul's cousin and just so happened to let it slip he'd seen you to Heechul. We've both known since before Aiden was even born," Donghwa admitted and shrugged when his two younger siblings looked at him in total shock, "hey, don't look at me like that. You wanted to hide it; I just helped you."

"Hyung, so you know about Hongki too?" Donghae asked suspiciously but this time Donghwa's head tilted to a side and he looked at them with a lost expression, "who now?"

"Hongki is Youngwoon's birth son. We adopted him," (Y/N) explained and couldn't help the short snicker when Donghwa's jaw dropped and his pupils widened in shock, "what?!"

-

If Donghwa and Jiwon knew, it was only time before Sungmin and Siwon also found out. It was on a rainy day, when they'd agreed to stay in from the weather and video call Aiden and Hongki.

They were both in Donghae's room, lay on the bed and too busy talking to Aiden, that they didn't hear the doorbell ring when it did. Instead, they were both shocked enough for Donghae to fall off the bed and (Y/N) almost did but was stopped by Donghae's firm palm, when Siwon and Sungmin came in, wide grins on their faces, which dropped into shocked expressions.

"Siwon oppa! Sungmin oppa! This... isn't what it looks like?" (Y/N) tried weakly, watching nervously as Sungmin and Siwon exchanged a glance. The two looked at them in disbelief before the latter suddenly fisted his hand and was about to punch Donghae but stopped when (Y/N) shouted at him to stop.

There was an awkward silence as Donghae hesitantly stood up and put his hands up in a surrendering motion to Siwon, his face pale. Siwon opened his mouth to question what he was witnessing, when they heard a quiet voice from somewhere, almost teary, "Hyuk samcheon... appa, eomma gone?"

"Did they turn- no, they're still on. Donghae? (Y/N)-ah, is everything okay?" it was unmistakably Hyukjae's voice, and Donghae and (Y/N) exchanged a scared glance before (Y/N) reached for the phone quickly, "hey, Hyuk, Aiden, we should talk later. We have... guests."

"No, don't turn that off! Someone explain what is going on!" Siwon demanded, looking ready to kill someone, specifically Donghae who he was staring at with a dark glare and his fists turning white. (Y/N) cleared and helped Donghae up before she stood between her husband and brother, looking nervous, "oppa, we can explain..."

"Do it quickly! Why are you two in Donghae's room alone and who is on the phone?!" the man shouted and (Y/N) cowered a little before she squeezed Donghae's hand, receiving a gentle tug from the man in response, "oppa, well, the truth is... Donghae and I are married."

"What?! Since when? How?!" Sungmin shouted and they remembered that Donghae's older brother was still in the room and it wasn't just (Y/N)'s but their attention was averted because both looked absolutely scary, "um, it's been almost three years... we just got our marriage registered, it's not something we meant to keep from you, from anyone, but things just turned out that way."

"What the- you've hidden that fact for three years?! Why are you even married in the first place? Don't you hate each other?!" Siwon questioned in clear disbelief and Donghae hesitantly peeked up before he weakly smiled, "fate has its ways, hyung, also, what's a relationship without a little argument?"

"If you were going to do something so disappointing, you should've stayed in America and never come back, (Y/N). I can't believe you," Siwon said emotionlessly as he glared at his younger sister, whose shoulders dropped in defeat, but Donghae was quick to stop the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter