Chapter Nine

Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The taxi ride to the airport had been awkward. It was their first meeting after a month and a few weeks, and they hadn't even texted or called each other since they officially broke up. Meeting the other's family had been just as awkward and it took a lot of insistence for them to call the taxi and leave for the airport alone.

They barely spared each other a glance as Donghae loaded their luggage in the boot and (Y/N) shared the route to the taxi driver, nor said a word to each other. It was the taxi driver who felt uncomfortable first and awkwardly cleared his throat, "so, are you two leaving for studies?"

"Neh," they answered simultaneously and glanced at each other quickly before they turned away, staring out of the window. The man winced at their expression and sighed when he realised they were stuck in traffic and if he was in silence any longer, he would feel suffocated, "how old are you? What are you going to study?"

"We're going to university, we're both turning nineteen. We're studying business management," Donghae explained briefly and (Y/N) momentarily nodded, making the taxi driver sigh. He shook his head, muttering about the youth, and decided to stay silent for the rest of the ride.

-

"Have a safe flight, (Y/N). Make sure you tell Donghae I said hello," (Y/N) bid farewell to her mother as she switched off the phone and glanced at Donghae who had just seated himself after putting their luggage in the overhead compartments.

He let out a loud sigh of relief and stretched lazily before he turned to see (Y/N)'s hesitant expression and raised a confused eyebrow, "yeah, what is it?"

"Nothing, just eomma sending her regards," (Y/N) replied and Donghae nodded before he sighed and leaned back in his seat. He hesitantly opened his mouth as he turned to her, but paused when he saw a shadow from the corner of his eye. 

He curiously peeked at the newcomer and quickly turned back to (Y/N) with blushing cheeks, making the girl raise her eyebrows in confusion. She looked past Donghae and her eyes widened in surprise.

"Um, hello," the American woman said, a soft smile on her lips. Donghae bowed awkwardly and waved at her while (Y/N) simply waved and tried not to glare at Donghae. Donghae shyly moved in his seat, keeping his head down when he noticed (Y/N)'s dark expression.

The woman was maybe three years older than them at most and dressed in - more like under-dressed, (Y/N) muttered, earning a short look from Donghae - a tight red dress which barely reached mid-thigh and her face was decorated with heavy makeup.  

"You are Korean? Are you visiting family in America?" she questioned and both nodded again, but it seemed that she was only paying attention to Donghae.

(Y/N) discreetly rolled her eyes at that and leaned back in her seat before slipping Donghae's headphones from his neck onto her own head. Donghae raised an eyebrow, but ignored the action when (Y/N) glared at him and mouthed for him to 'continue your flirting. Don't mind me.'

"Yes," Donghae smiled politely and rubbed the back of his head, "we're Korean. We're going America to study. We don't have relatives there." 

The girl nodded and then her eyes widened in surprise. She leaned over, giving Donghae and (Y/N) a view they didn't want and gave them a toothless smile, "I completely forgot to introduce myself! I'm Reina Jones. I'm going to study business management at Harvard University."

"Oh, that's the same for us. We're going to start there this year," Donghae told her and then noticed the girl's purse was crested. "That's a SS product. That company belongs to our mothers." 

The girl looked down at her purse in surprise and then she grinned, "oh, really? I love SS products. They're exclusive to Korea, so I have to visit very often. By the way, you haven't introduced yourself?"

"Ah, right! Sorry, I got side-tracked. I'm Donghae Lee," Donghae smiled at her and she giggled, suddenly reaching forward for his hair. Donghae froze in his place and his eyes widened in surprise when she blinked innocently, "you're really handsome, Donghae. I think we'll even be seeing eaxh other a lot. We're fated to have met."

"Um- I'm sorry?" Donghae asked dumbly, making Reina coo at his adorable expression. (Y/N) had been watching them quietly for a few minutes, but seeing the exchange made something close to boil inside her.

She wasn't thinking as she suddenly pulled Donghae from the front of his shirt and kissed him right in front of Reina. Donghae's eyes widened in shock, and it took a moment, but they squeezed shut and his hand found the back of (Y/N)'s head to fit themselves together properly.

"You never did that when we were together. I approve," Donghae snickered as he moved back, leaving (Y/N) glaring at him before she pulled on a false sweet smile and turned to Reina, "hi, I'm (Y/N), his girlfriend. I'd like it if you didn't flirt with my boyfriend. He's mine."

"Oh, possessive are we?" Donghae grinned but let out a whine soon after (Y/N) had pinched the side of his thigh. Reina sputtered in shock at their actions and then glared piercingly at them both. Donghae pretended to be dumb as Rein muttered curse words under her breath and moved away from Donghae.

-

"Finally! That flight has made me so tired I just want to sleep right now," (Y/N) yawned as she followed Donghae through the airport and Donghae laughed, shaking his head.

"Who told you to stay awake anyway? Did you really think she'd try me again after you made it quite clear I belonged to you?"

Suddenly (Y/N)'s face fell and she stood frozen in her placing, confusing Donghae who turned to look at her with a raised eyebrow,"hm? What's wrong?"

"Yeah, Donghae. I'm sorry. I didn't have any right to do that. You and I aren't together now, I didn't have the right. I shouldn't have done that."

"No, I understand, it's okay. Like I said back there, I approved. While what you did back there was okay in that situation, maybe don't do it again?" Donghae asked in a quiet voice and (Y/N) looked up at him and her eyes glistened as she nodded weakly, "I'm sorry. I got jealous back there. I won't do it again."

"It's okay, (Y/N). It's okay if you feel jealous or don't want me looking at other girls. Right now, I feel jealous and hope you don't look at other guys either. We broke up only because the secret relationship wasn't working and we'd have been in a lot of difficulty. If... if we broke up on different conditions, only then would I not appreciate it," Donghae answered honestly and sent her a sweet smile, making her grin. She nodded and caught up to him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter