Chapter Seven

Sunshine

We spent all day at the beach: building sand castles, playing and running away from waves, buried Suga in the sand while he was napping, and enjoyed a nice BBQ. After a day full of fun and splashes, I grab my sketchbook and snuck away from everyone further down the beach to have some time to myself. Listening to the waves as they crash onto the shores, breathing in the salty air, and watching the sun as it kisses the ocean while it sets. The different colors in the sky blended in with each other so beautifully—

 

Suddenly, I'm picked up from behind and thrown into the ocean. I break through the water's surface gasping for air; a familiar screechy laugh fills my ears. Hoseok was hunched over, barely able to breathe from laughing so hard; he began to dance with victory towards the others, who were down the beach at our picnic area. I could also hear their laughter and cheers— His back was facing me.

 

Oh, he is going to get it.

 

I grew up with football and an older brother, I know how to tackle. So, I crouch into position and, with full strength, I sprint towards him tackling him from behind and into the water. He sure didn't expect that.  

 

I hear another uproar of cries and laughter. I look up to see the guys literally dying. 

 

Hoseeok looks at me in total shock. Finally realizing what happened a mischievous grin crept on his face, his eyes full of revenge, and an all-out water war broke between the two of us. We go all out at each other: splashing, throwing, and pushing each other into the water. Eventually, it dies down. We lay on the shore tired and out of breath, swarmed by giggles. 

 

"I won," he sang. 

 

"Whatever." I object.

 

"Oh, really now?" There was a suspicious tone in his voice.

 

He suddenly rolls on top of me with a devilish smile on his face. I'm completely taken back by his actions. His face was so close to mine. I could feel his breath on my skin; my cheeks heat up, and my heart is pounding like crazy. He suddenly began to tickle me. 

 

"No!" I squeal, kicking and trying to hit him, but I was trapped underneath him and too exhausted from earlier. "No-no! Please stop!" I pled, "I'm gonna pee!" My stomach cramps from laughing so hard. 

 

He sat on top of me continuing his methods of torture and watches with amusement as I try to wiggle my way free. "Get off me!" I shriek with laughter. 

 

"Not till you admit defeat, loser," he requests. 

 

"Never!" 

 

I'm trying to be tough, but inside I'm crumbling down. Hoseok continues to tickle me. I don't think I can take this much longer, but I cannot let him win. Tears escape my eyes, my cheeks are sore from smiling so much, and my sides hurt; I'm completely out of breath. "Ugh! Okay, fine, you win! You win! Now get off me already, jerkface!" 

 

Hoseok looked down at me pleased, "That's what I thought." 

 

He rolls off and onto his back still laughing at my previous agony. "You lasted longer than I thought you would. I guess you're not as wimpy as I remember." 

 

I roll my eyes and punch his shoulder. "What was that for?" He whined. 

 

"You are so lucky my book didn't get wet," I glared at him attempting to burn holes into his skull.

 

"I'm not an idiot. You know I would never mess with that thing." He tilted his head toward my bag, which held my sketchbook— it was my most prized possession, and it was more like a journal than a sketchbook to me— that laid securely against a rock a few feet away from us. 

 

It turns quiet between the two of us as we stare at the sky, still breathing heavily. "We haven't had this much fun together in a long time. Remember when we were in L.A. for the American Hustle Life thing," he said with a wide grin and looked at me, slightly breathless. 

 

A smile grew on my face. I giggle as I thought of the memory. "Gosh, that was years ago. I surprised you in L.A. We ran all over the place, and then you got in trouble, because the camera crew couldn't find you." He had a sudden laughing outburst. 

 

"Oh yeah," he chuckles, "manager-hyungs were pissed."

 

"That was also the first time I watched you perform with BTS." I could feel his eyes on me. My smile grew as I went on. "You know, I remember finding you dancing in the most random places— you'd be out there till one or two o'clock in the morning," I said with a light chuckle. "Always dancing." I gently smile and finally meet his eyes, a playful twinkle still lingered. Suddenly feeling shy I avert my eyes back towards the colorful sky and continue on.

 

"Now look at you, you're living your dream," I sigh and pause for a moment. "Hoseok, words can't describe how proud I am of you." I look at him again, my best friend, giving him a warm smile. I take his hand, automatically intertwining our fingers together. 

 

I brought my gaze back to the sky and close my eyes. A warm breeze passes by, and it becomes silent between the two of us again; all I hear is the sound of the crashing waves and wind blowing by, while the smell of the salty sea air fills my nose. It was very calming.

 

I always loved to look at the colors in the sky during the sunrise and sunset, at how different they were, yet they blended so well within each other. I wonder if that's how things were like in my head whenever I think about Hoseok and I. How we're so different but blend together so well. 

 

I couldn't imagine my life without him.