Chapter Twenty-five

Sunshine

That was the last thing I said to him before I left Seoul. That was almost two years ago...

 

BTS' career exploded; Hoseok's mixtape was finally released, BTS made their United States television debut, they performed and won at the Billboard Music Awards, and have become even more popular than ever before. Again, like every other foreign A.R.M.Y. I watch and support them from afar. And I couldn't be more proud of them. 

 

Occasionally, I'll get a message from the guys— it's always the same thing: "When are you coming back?, Are you and Hobi getting back together?, Will you visit soon?, We miss you!, Hoseok is a total mess...he needs you!" Blah, blah, blah, etc. Whatever the messages say it would put a smile on my face. 

 

But not one has ever been from Hoseok.

 

I love them, and I know they mean well, but damn they just won't quit! They're driving me crazy like before— this time they're trying to get Hoseok and I back together. I really do miss BTS. And as much as I hate to admit it, I miss him too. 

 

After the trip, my life basically went back to normal. I'm about halfway done with school— following Jin and Hoseok's advice I stayed in the art program. I was even accepted into the Disney college program for an internship; my dream job. My Dad and I are on good terms now, and he finally accepted my career in art. 

 

I never talk about Hoseok or BTS. Nobody really knows about our friendship. A lot of my friends in my classes are into k-pop, and sometimes it's hard listening to them when they talk about it. Especially my best friend Charlie; BTS is her favorite group. She would go ballistic if she knew that I was ever friends with them.

 

"Livvy!"

 

Somebody shouts bringing me back to reality; scaring the crap out of me. "WHAT?!" I cry back. 

 

Charlie. 

 

"Did you hear a word I said?" She asked. 

 

I look up at her as I lay on my bed upside down; my legs rested high against the wall of my headboard. We were in my room— supposed to be brainstorming ideas for our finals project. Charlie came over in a constant happy, chatterbox rampage with serious news apparently, but after a few minutes I just zoned her out. 

 

"Uh..."

 

"Ugh," she groans, letting her head fall. "What am I going to do with you?" I look at her with a guilty expression. "How can you be daydreaming at a time like this?"

 

"Time like what?"

 

"Well, as I was saying," her smile was wide like she could blow up. "Remember the rumor I told you about for BTS' next American tour?"

 

No. "Yeah....?"

 

"It was official!" she exclaimed. "And there was a big contest too! The prize being two front row seats and backstage passes for their L.A. concert!"

 

"Okay, cool."

 

"And guess who won?" she sang, unable to hold in her excitement. 

 

I raised an eyebrow and shrug, "I don't know, somebody from like California or New York— same as always."

 

She began digging through her purse— cursing for she had trouble finding whatever she was looking for— and pulls out two slits of paper or something, shoving them into my face. It took me a moment for my eyesight to adjust to how close they were; my mouth drops when I saw what was in my face. BTS tickets and backstage passes. 

 

"No..." I breath, completely speechless. 

 

"Yes!" She squeals. Charlie always loved events like this, because of the excitement and fun,  seeing how groups wanted to meet fans, but she never participated knowing she would never win. Of course, her luck had to change with this one. "And guess who the lucky friend that is going with me?" I slowly raise a finger to myself. She nods like crazy with a wide smile.
 

Oh, ...

 

Charlie waited for a response after a long pause, she whistles waving a hand in my face. "Hello? Liv, you in there?"

 

Snapping out of my trance or whatever, I flinch, "Huh?"

 

"You alright?" I nod.

 

"You sure don't look okay," she said with a concerned expression. "I mean, I knew you'd be surprised, but damn, get a grip. You look like you could throw up."

 

"What? No. No, I'm fine," I smile. I quickly shake my head to concentrate. "Uh..so when is it— when is the concert and where?"

 

Her eyes brightened up with excitement, "February and, again, in Los Angles!"

 

I could feel my face slightly go pale with excitement or maybe it was fear, I can't tell. "Oh wow, that's like three months away."

 

She began jumping around like a kid at Christmas. "Yeah, and it's during our spring break, so we're going to California for like a week!" She pressed on when I didn't say anything. "We've always tried to plan a trip like this, and now we got it! Can't you show a little enthusiasm?"

 

It took a moment for my brain to wrap around what just happened, quickly snapping out of my daze I get up and start jumping around with her; showing her that I was excited about going to L.A. when really, I'm screaming inside. 

 

We're going to see BTS.

 

And we're going to be in the front row...

 

***

 

Spring break is finally here, and Charlie and I are in Los Angles, California for the BTS concert. As we got ready, I sat on the bed in our room holding my knees.

 

"Hey, what's the matter with you?" Charlie calls from the bathroom, for she can see me from the mirror— her expression was confused. I don't know why I'm acting like this, I mean, I left him. I shouldn't care, but I do. I'm freaking out. I squeeze my panda bear; my stomach is turning like crazy. I have a hit of déjà vu, the night I was with Hoseok in the hotel, and I feel my chest tighten as tears start to come up. 

 

"Livvy! Relax," Charlie demands. "You squeeze that poor panda any tighter his head is gonna pop off." I let out a light chuckle and loosen my grip on the bear. "You've been acting weird lately. Are you okay?" she asked, concerned. 

 

It seems like that's all I ever hear. I quickly wipe my tears away and stand up, "Of course, I am! We're in freakin' L.A.!" I start to squeal with excitement. 

 

"Yeah, I'm going to a concert tonight; front row seats." I thought to myself. "Cool.."

 

Charlie laughs, there was still a concern in her eyes. "And we're about to see BTS!" I continue with a smile. I'm not going to let this bother me anymore. It's history. I don't care, and I'm going to have fun.

 

"Holy ! I'm going to meet my RM!" She cried, and we start jumping on the beds. I suddenly feel my insides turn and crumble down. Crap. The backstage passes! I forgot.

 

At the concert we found our seats; they were far off to the right, but still its the front row— Charlie was wearing an oversized BTS t-shirt and ripped jean shorts with a pair of casual black boots; her long, brown curly hair tied up in a lazy bun. While I wore a white t-shirt with a red flannel shirt tied around my high-waisted jeans, and a pair of black vans sneakers— The music began and BTS came out onto stage hyped up and happy as ever with the crowd going wild. As nervous as I was, I had a lot more fun than I thought I would. 

 

Its great to see the guys again; I always loved to watch them perform. Seeing the passion and love they have for music and their fans, and how their faces light up with joy when they came on stage. Then I saw Hoseok. 

 

I'm not as ready as I thought I was...

 

Right when I thought I was starting to get over him my feelings return, like being hit by a truck. My eyes were glued to Hoseok during the entire concert. Charlie noticed this, getting annoyed, she punches my shoulder. "Ow!"

 

"Stop it!" She tries to yell over the music, "I know J-hope is your bias and all but cut it out! You look crazy!"

 

The solo performances were coming to an end, and I accidentally made eye contact with V. I look down immediately, "Wait, why am I hiding?" He won't recognize me— none of them will; not long after I left, I had cut my hair to my shoulders and dyed it into a dark brown. But I saw his eyes widen with a mischievous twinkle and there was a slight up curl on his lips. I'm in trouble. Knowing that blabbermouth, he's going to tell the guys.

 

"Holy crap!" Charlie cries, "Did you see that?! V looked right at us!"

 

"Yeah. Great."

 

During the rest of the concert the members were really getting active with the fans; scanning the front rows and running along the edge of the stage doing high-touches, especially Hoseok. 

 

I sat low in my seat, trying to hide while enjoying the concert, and resenting how it was almost over; meaning I was going to be face to face with BTS— with Hoseok. 

 

When the concert ended, I told Charlie that I wasn't feeling well and I'd just meet her back at the hotel; hoping I could get out of seeing the guys, but she wouldn't buy it thinking I was just too starstruck shy on meeting them. We squirm through the crowd with Charlie dragging me around looking for the right room. This place was like a maze.

 

Next thing I know, someone grabs my arm. "Hey! Let go of me!" I cry, "What did I do?"

 

The security guard eyed us suspiciously, "Passes?" He asked; his voice was very intimidating.

 

"Um— oh! Yeah!" She took out our passes, giving them to the security guard with a cheeky grin. He inspects them very hard making sure they weren't fakes and hands them back.

 

"Follow me," the large man ordered, barely giving us a glance. 

 

"I'm gonna hurl! I can't believe this is happening!" Charlie squeals quietly. "Yeah, neither can I," I let out a sigh. The man brought us backstage and into a secret compartment like room immediately shutting the door, almost like a slam, behind us.

 

"Oh! You must be the contest winners! Welcome!" I know those voices. Charlie stiffens, her usual pale skin turning as red as a tomato with a wide smile plastered onto her face, while I hid behind my hair. Because standing before us was a familiar group of seven idols, who we just saw perform on stage, and who I've known and loved for years.

 

"Annyeonghasaeyo, we are BTS-ibnida!"

 

I kept my head down and in a breath, unable to move. "Hi, I'm Charlie!" she waves, lightly jumping out of excitement. There is a long awkward pause as they wait for me to introduce myself. Charlie elbows my side, her eyes telling me to say something. "Sorry, she's a little shy," she explains with an awkward laugh.

 

I swallow the large lump in my throat and hesitantly look up to see my favorite group of idiots. "Hi, uh...my name is—"

 

"Ollie?..."