Chapter Nine

Sunshine

Jin and V had a nice bonfire started by the time we made it to the others. Everyone gathered around telling jokes and stories, just goofing off. I had brought marshmallows and showed them how to make s'mores, getting them high on sugar. Bad idea. Once I showed them the wonders of junky American campfire food, Jin, V, and Jungkook looked at me like a god. It was pretty entertaining. 

 

RM then put on some music, and that's when the real party started. They sang and danced and started jumping around the fire shouting tribal chants— also dancing to their own song Fire; it was quite the show. 

 

V came up to me and held out his hand. "Oh, ani—aniyo, Tae, I-I'm good right here—"

 

Ignoring my rejection, he pulls me out of my chair and places his arm around my waist. Instinctively, I lay my hand on his shoulder, and we began to jump around the fire, dancing. One by one they each took turns and grab me to steal a dance. 

 

I. Don't. Dance.  This is so embarrassing, but I haven't laughed this much in so long. 

 

Out of nowhere, Jungkook brought out sparklers. I mean, where the heck did he get those? Either someone is gonna get hurt or we'll get thrown off the beach. Everyone grabbed a sparkler or two, lights them up, and start running around like idiots screaming and shouting with craziness; it soon turns into sparkler tag. 

 

I see Hoseok, his back facing me, a mischievous grin forms on my face. I run up to him and leap onto his back. "Gotcha!"

 

Hooking my arms around his neck, and my legs cling around his waist. I hold onto him like a monkey. I hear him snicker evilly. He holds me up with one arm, while the other holds a sparkler out in the air, and he starts spinning us around shrieking with laughter. 

 

"No, wait— Hobi, STOP!" I squeal as he spins even faster making me dizzy. Everyone is going crazy and having a good time. Eventually, we start to calm down, sorta, and crash from our sugar rush. We all just sit by the fire and enjoy it's radiating warmth.

 

Its a beautiful night, as clear as can be. All the stars are bright, twinkling in the dark sky. The moon shines off a sweet dim light, and the waves are calm. It was so relaxing I could fall asleep right there. A light breeze goes by with the salty air swarming all around, sending a cold chill down my spine.

 

"Are you cold?" 

 

"Hm?" I take my gaze off the fire and meet Hoseok's eyes, still playful and full of laughter with a tinge of concern in them.

 

Being only in a pair of jean shorts and a tank top, I am cold, but I shake it off. I gently shook my head, "Oh, no. I'm okay."

 

Another breeze passes by causing me to shiver again. Nature is not on my side. He lightly chuckles taking off his jacket, "You're a terrible liar." I open my mouth to object but quickly close it knowing I'm going to lose. 

 

"Here," he puts his jacket around my shoulders. 

 

I give him a shy smile and curl up with his jacket in my chair. It was so warm, his scent still lingered on the soft fabric. "Thanks, Hobi." 

 

I felt someone watching me.

 

I look up and see V staring at me with a smug expression bobbing his eyebrows up and down. Jin and Jimin had their hands covering their smiles, while RM and Suga stare at the fire with mischievous smirks. Jungkook was biting his tongue trying not to laugh. 

 

They had front row seats on what just happened. 

 

I gave them a death glare. "Stop it," I mouth. The group shrugged and look at me innocently. I point to my eyes and back at them, and slice my finger across my neck giving them a warning sign. They simply roll their eyes. 

 

RM swats his hand at me. "Whatever," he mouthed back. I drop the little silent argument and stare back at the fire, slowly starting to doze off. 

 

"Okay, c'mon guys, we need to get going," Jin announces, "it's getting late." 

 

Everyone answers with a bunch of whines and complaints, but gather their things and get into the van. I'm not fully asleep yet, for I can hear everything around me, but my eyelids are too heavy to open. I felt someone shake my shoulder, "Come on Ollie-yah, we're leaving." It sounded like Jimin. I try to get up, but the only thing that really moved was my leg and an arm, somewhat.

 

"Just leave her be."

 

"Yeah, she's exhausted," someone else spoke. "She'll only slow us down." Suga. 

 

I try to argue, but my words came out all slurred and non-understandable, and I can barely move my head. "Omo, she really must have picked up some habits from you, hyung," somebody laughed, V maybe? So, they left me in the chair, while they cleaned up. You can call me lazy all you want, but these guys wore me out. 

 

Somebody picks me up. I can feel their arms snake around me and under my legs, as they carry me bridal style, and place me into the van. I hear a bunch of snickering, but I'm too tired to care. The scent of their cologne fills my nose; Hoseok. My lips curl into a small smile. This was a good day.