Cuatro

Interim

Jacob sat beside Roseanne as she prepped herself for the last call that they agreed upon.

Christ Almighty, my palms are sweaty! I'm so excited for this call mate! ROSANNA IN THE HIGHEST! Oh what a glorious moment! Jacob clearly had a knack for singing praises. Literally and figuratively.

Roseanne wanted to laugh her heart out but was preoccupied by the fact that her machine turned red and displayed a caller ID over her screen.

" Here comes the curtain call."

Roseanne blurted out as she pushed a button on the machine marking the start of another conversation with a stranger and their matters of the heart.

Hi, this is Roseanne Park. Thank you for calling Matters of the Heart. How are we feeling today?"

Roseanne waited for a couple of seconds. Usually the callers would start crying or tell their stories as if they were rapping with conviction as soon as "how are we feeling today?" leaves .

The other line was dead silent. She was about to drop the call when a robotic voice answered back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lisa was trying her absolute best not to laugh while waiting for an agent to answer her call. She used a voice changer just to make sure that the agents won't recognize her voice.

Hi, this is Roseanne Park. Thank you for calling Matters of the Heart. How are we feeling today?"

Lisa was momentarily stunned when she heard the agent's voice. Boy oh boy was it angelic. But she pushed through it and answered back with excitement flowing in her veins. The agent seemed to have won a point in her imaginary scorecard.

For real, what's the deal?"

" I beg your pardon?"

" Got a feelin' that you feelin' me"

Roseanne knew better. She knew how to deal with callers like this. This wasn't her first time handling this kind of situation.

" Oh, that's some nice bars you got there Mister/Miss Robot but you see, I don't play with them fakes, keep it real with me"

" Nice comeback Miss."

At this point, Lisa almost crumpled her imaginary scorecard, she didn't expect the lady to clap back with such grace and confidence. She was determined to win back a point.

To be honest, I called out of curiosity. I wanted to know the veracity of the advices that you shove in people's thoughts 'round here."

" With all due respect, we don't shove advices into people's minds. We listen to them and we aim to understand, we empathize with them and to the best of our abilities, we give them pieces of advice in relation to their situations.

" I see, what a nobel profession this is! Do you have some sort of certification from the Department of Broken Hearts? Were you able to take a licensure exam? Can I get your roll number please?"

Roseanne didn't know how she felt at the moment. She was utterly dismayed but at the same time, she wanted to laugh, which is weird; given the fact that the caller seemed to have no plans of sharing a valuable story; instead the caller is nothing but playing around and insulting the company and her abilities as its agent.

We appreciate the compliment but this is more than just a profession for us. We may not have the so-called certifications, as you claim it to be important in our line of work. We have the heart to listen and we care about our callers' feelings. We value them. We don't make fun of their stories."

Lisa noticed the stern tone in the agent's voice. The imaginary scorecard is back into play. She wanted to see just how far the agent is willing to go just to defend her stand on the matter at hand.

There's a thin line between caring and deceiving people, Roseanne. Tread lightly. You might end up hurting them instead of taking care of them." Lisa argued.

" Now, we're talking. Would you mind telling me the story behind that cryptic line you just said? How are we feeling today? Or let me rephrase that, how did you feel that day?" Roseanne fired back.