Inchoate

Interim

Roseanne was woken up by her phone ringing continually over the past few minutes. She deliberately ignored the first few rings just because first, she didn't want to sound outright annoyed if she decided to pick up the phone --- due to the fact that her sleep was interrupted; Second, she didn't have the energy to interact, in any way, with other people as of the moment.

Roseanne cried herself to sleep for the nth time but for the first time in years, she almost felt relieved to have somehow confronted her past, even for just a while; although she knew that deep down, this will not be the last occurrence; that she would have to face it numerous times, until it doesn't hurt anymore, until she can proudly say that she isn't just living with it but she has already healed from it.

Third, the caller seemed to be really persistent. It wasn't as annoying as Roseanne expected it to be, but there's something about the intervals of the call that made her wonder who the caller is, and how she felt like the caller had something important to say.

So Roseanne decided to finally pick up.

Hello.." Roseanne almost whispering as soon as she held her phone close to her ears.

There was a familiar, yet intriguing silence on the other end of the line. Roseanne was about to end the call when the caller spoke that made her raise her eyebrows for a bit.

Hi, How are we feeling today?" The caller asked.

It was her special greeting. For others, this would've been a rather simple greeting, a common form of courtesy. For Roseanne, this was her form of virtual hug for the callers, a way of letting them know that she was all ears for them, and that she's willing to listen and she aims to understand the caller's situation to the best of her abilities. Roseanne knew that the greeting was a good way to start the conversation. Although this time, it was directed at her. 

She never knew it had this much of an impact to people going through trying times or maybe because no one asked her how she was feeling or that the people who would've lovingly check up on her was nowhere to be found and will never be physically present in her life. 

Roseanne felt a tug in her heart upon hearing her special greeting. It was in a way, comforting.  A little smile crept across her face.

I'm doing okay. Thank you for asking.. umm, that was oddly familiar, have we spoken before? Where did you get my number? Who is this by the way?" Every single question fired in rapid succession. Roseanne was definitely curious.

Yes, we have spoken before. My apologies, I would've introduced myself but I was afraid you might drop the call if you knew who I was."  The caller answered, an evident tone of guilt and a hint of sadness echoing through the line.

Now, why would I do that? I can't remember having an argument with anyone recently, or ever.. hmm.. unless you somehow have a robotic voice, that would change things." Roseanne chuckled at how she quickly associated the robotic voice caller with the word argument. 

Oh.. that sounds.. quite interesting.." The caller trailed off for a bit. " Why would you argue with someone using a robotic voice? I'm assuming the person you're referring to is using a voice changer unless .. you had an actual conversation with a robot?"  The caller jokingly answered back.

Oh boo-hoo smarty pants! I am fully aware that  I was speaking to a person using a voice changer, it's just that it wasn't the usual type of "conversation" that i'm used to having. You know like how normal people do, they introduce themselves using their normal voices."  Roseanne made sure that there was an emphasis on the word conversation, a quasi-mouse trap for the intriguing caller, if the caller notices and makes any movement towards it, she can somehow gauge the time frame from the moment their alleged discourse happened to the present and from there Roseanne can pinpoint as to the identity of the caller. The smirk was consistent. She was proud of her spontaneous but quite a well thought out plan. 

I see, you mentioned conversation.. seems like you guys had a long discussion, I don't think you'd use the word conversation if you're pertaining to small talks, right? " The caller replied in a sudden enthusiastic tone. 

Not going to confirm nor deny anything, Miss Curious Cat. It was a private conversation. For a stranger, you seem to have lots of questions and assumptions. So are you going to tell me who you are or I'm going to wait for you to come up with another round of clap back and argue with you all day."  At this point, Roseanne didn't need to leave a trail of cheese crumbs. She was sure that the caller was heading towards the trap with that last statement of hers.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off as rude.."  With that, the caller took a deep breath and continued. "I wanted to apologise for being a total jerk that day. I wasn't planning to argue with you the entire time. I was just curious and I wanted to kind of goof around. I was not aware that it was all serious business.." Again, my apologies."  The caller's voice was low and quite monotonous. 

With that, Roseanne knew who the caller was. Oh how the tables have turned. She waited for the caller to introduce herself as she was expecting it to happen, she was one step ahead this time. 

The. name. is. Lisa. by. the. way. I. was. hoping. to. have. a-nother. pri-vate. conversation. with. agent. Roseanne. Park. please. "  The caller, imitating a robot, continued.

Well, that's unfortunate Little Miss Robot. The private conversation is only applicable for someone using a robot voice changer and not actual robots. I guess you run out of "fuel" this time." Roseanne decided to play along, she knew how terrible the pun is, but she just had to do it. 

" Oh. But. That. Someone. Who. Used. The. Robot. Voice. Changer. And. The. Person. Calling. Right. Now. Is. The. Same. Person. So. That. Means. It. Applies. To. Me. And. That's. A. Yes. To. A. Private. Conversation. With. Me. Don't. You. Think.?"  the caller with a valiant effort to keep up the robot portrayal. 

Aren't we having a private conversation right now? Isn't this considered a private conversation already?" Roseanne fired back.

Technically, yes.. but.. Okay, look. Roseanne.. I'm sorry we started off on the wrong foot. I know the way I acted that day was a real move and despite that, you remained calm and proceeded to do your job and for me, that was really commendable. It was so rude of me to talk to a nice lady like that, please let me make it up to you? I promise to be less.. argumentative?  The caller pleaded in a giddy tone. 

I'll think about it."  Roseanne snickered.   

Thank you, Rosie. Can I call you Rosie? The name fits you. Or better yet, can I call you tomorrow then?  Lisa responded with a cheeky tone.

" Don't push your luck, Robot Lily.. good talk!"  With a swift rebut, Roseanne hung up the phone with a victorious grin on her face.