Breakthrough

Interim

 

I have always thought that when someone says ‘everything will fall into place’ it’s them telling me to chill the frick out and let life do its thing.

 

I can’t believe that it actually makes sense right now. Everything does fall into place, well not every single thing but, something does when you need it the most.

 

Here I am, in my suddenly boisterous dining area, enjoying a lovely brunch with the most important people in my life, except for one, which has yet to join the festivities, but yeah, I'll make it happen. I’ll find a way to make it happen.

 

“Lisa? Is everything okay? We just want to know this special woman that’s got you smiling mindlessly and completely forgetting about Jennie’s signature macarons.”

 

In prime timing, Jisoo decides to break my short-lived future planning agenda. They have been asking me about Rosie for the past hour now. How dumb can I be?! Of course, my cheeky sister and her equally cheeky wife will help to make it happen…

 

Make what happen?

 

Exactly what should happen?

 

I haven’t really considered thinking about these certain feelings that I have for Roseanne Park. I feel like I have forgone it for so long, I have been dealing with so many things for the past few months and just like I said, now that everything is falling into place. It is high time that I admit to myself that I too, is falling for someone, for a certain woman..

 

The woman who had the audacity to keep up with my sarcasm the first time that we talked.

The woman who had the courage to say no to someone like me who could’ve sworn will never hear and accept anyone’s no.

The woman who got me so tongue-tied when we first met

The woman who had my heart beating faster than the V12 engine of my favorite car.

The woman who had the most calming and sweetest voice

The woman who is a constant in my thoughts and prayers

The woman who inspired me to face my fears and conquer them.

 

The woman who made me believe in magic like an innocent little kid on her first time at the carnival, magic in her eyes when I see it sparkle whenever we talk, magic in her voice when she sings, giving life to the embers in my heart, magic in the way she holds my hand for i can feel my insides tremble, creating pulses of joy and awakening the cocoons of a little thing called love and suddenly there’s a kaleidoscope of butterflies in my stomach.

 

I’m falling helplessly in love with a woman named Roseanne Park.

 

“What do I do?” Welp, did I just blurt that out? In front of my curious sisters, over a brunch that I haven’t really touched because I was busy daydreaming.

 

“Ah, finally. Houston she’s back.” I heard Jisoo say, boredom oozing out of her eyes, how long was I ‘gone’?

 

“So, what do you want to do Lilybear?” Life came back in her eyes in the form of curiosity.

 

“Huh?” I pretended not to have understood what she just asked, why did I blurt that out! Now I must face the consequences of my rather dangerous daydreaming.

 

“You just said: What do I do?” Jisoo asks yet again, she’s not gonna let this go, isn’t she?

 

“Oh, no. Nevermind. So Rosie.. She’s umm..” And so Lisa yields, I shall yield this time, I did not think this through. I’ve been thinking about her a lot so why would they ask me more about this fine woman. Can I take a break?

 

“The love of your life?” It is official, I hate my sister.

 

“Jisoonieeeee! Please can you stop with the teasing, we’re really good friends, we hang out a lot..” Now self, we both know this is a lie, but I have to keep it in for now, I don’t think I’m ready to share whatever it is that I feel, I need to be sure first.

 

“Ohhhh, good friends. So, Jennie tell me, you and Irene are really good friends, does she make you blush like Lisa is doing right now and do you completely forget about a sumptuous brunch because you’re busy daydreaming about her?” Jisoo wasn’t satisfied with just her interrogating me, she decided to tag Jennie along, pray for my soul.

 

“Nope.” Jennie didn’t even flinch, a firm nope, emphasis on the P with a pop.

 

“Riiiight, so Lilybear, let me ask you once again, this Roseanne woman, or as you call her Rosie, is?” I really don’t see myself winning this argument, I forgot about how my sister probably has some interrogation training back at that stupid agency.

 

“Fine. I like her okay.”

 

“Like?”

 

“A lot.”

 

“A lot?”

 

“Yes, a lot. Lot.”

 

“Does she know?”

 

“Does she know what? No? I don’t know? We hang out a lot these days. I like spending time with her. I’m at my happiest when she’s around.” I think I’m nearing my breaking point and there’s no use in not being completely honest with my sister, she probably just wants to catch up on things that are happening in my life.

 

“Okay. Doesn’t Jakey make you feel the same way? I mean, you’ve been the best of friends for years. You guys hang out all the time and all that.” Hmm, Jisoo made a great point, a rare occurrence but we’ll take it.

 

“Well, it’s a different thing for Jake. I’m happy when he’s around because he’s my best friend and we share the same interests and we just, you know, click.. as friends.”

 

“And Rosie?”

 

“Jisoonieeee, where are you getting at with these questions?!” I answered back with a hint of frustration in my voice. At this point, I don’t think she’ll ever stop asking about Rosie until she hears the answer that she wants to hear.

 

“I’m helping you make it happen.”

 

“Make what happen?”

 

“You and Rosie.”

 

“What about me and Rosie?”

 

“Pretend I’m your life coach and tell me your struggles or anything that’s on your mind.” Jisoo confidently suggested, eyebrows wiggling and a growing smirk on her face.

 

“Do we really have to do this, Jisoonie? I mean, please save yourself from the embarrassment, my line of work isn’t that simple.” I felt a little bit offended; my work is not that simple really, it takes a lot of rapport and trust to be able to give sound advice to people.

 

“Alright Lisa. So, tell me about this certain woman named Roseanne Park.” Why did I even try to wiggle out of the situation, my sister clearly isn’t interested in letting this brunch end without the necessary information that she needs.

 

“Oh my god ~ I don’t even know if she feels the same way! I don’t want to ruin the great friendship that we have, Jisoonie. I can’t lose her just because I have these weird heartbeat things when she’s around, and she makes me smile whenever I think about her, she has the sweetest voice and the kindest heart! You should see how she handles the kids at the centre, the most adorable thing ever! She listens to me and makes me feel that I am understood completely. Sometimes, I tend to be a douche and all-knowing but she just keeps me grounded, you know. I am comfortable with sharing my thoughts and worries because I know she’ll never judge me for it. I want to take care of her just as she takes care of me. She makes me strive to be a better version of myself and.. Oh no.. I’m really in love with her, aren’t I?”

 

“There you go, that wasn’t so bad was it?” She gave me that signature Jisoo smirk. I can’t believe I fell for that trap. My sister really has her way of getting what she wants.

 

“I’m doomed.” The realisation has really set in for me. This is it, really. I just outed myself. Way to go.

 

“Okay folks. I’m calling Jake and it’s time to carry out our last mission.” Jennie suddenly speaks as she rubs her hands on my shoulders in the most comforting way that she can. Telling me that I have no way out of this.

 

It wasn’t that long when someone was ringing the doorbell like a mad man.

 

“Hiya guys. It’s so good to have other energy fields in here other than Lisa’s. It reeks of cowardice and other weak earthly energy.” Oh, if it wasn’t enough that my sisters are here to play cupid, my best friend decides to show up and mock me. A very Jacob thing to do.

 

“Wait, what is that smell? Oof! It smells like misplaced arrogance! Smells kinda like get off my lawn in approximately 2 minutes if you don’t stop?!” Will I let people come into my house and mock me just like that? Nope. I am in the middle of a crisis! I just figured out that I am in love with a gorgeous woman and I don’t know what to do!

 

“Damn! Who let the grumpy cat in?” I’m glad Jacob took the hint and calmed his fragile male ego, ain’t nobody gonna stomp on me like that. Sit down, fool.

 

“Alright kids, cut it out. Jake, you are here to contribute your ideas as Lisa’s best friend, you can be the jerk bestie later, got it?” Yes, thank you Jennie Kim. The mediator. Best in law of the century. Job well done Kim Jisoo.

 

“Okay folks. So, how does one confess their feelings to their special someone?”

 

Facts. Everything is prim and proper in a jiff when Jennie starts to speak.

 

“They tell the truth.” I immediately responded. Wow, that wasn’t well thought of. I’m sorry, force of habit. But I’m not wrong am I?

 

“Great Lisa, I want you to do that okay, but we need something more specific.” I stopped myself from laughing at the way Jennie sighed and restrained herself from smacking my head right there and then.

 

“How about we send her tons of flowers while she’s teaching the kids and then the kids can approach her one by one, with flowers on their hands and some sweet message attached per flower then Lisa can barge in as the last kiddo with the sweetest little message.” Jake the Casanova suggested. I firmly believe that my best friend is a hopeless romantic.

 

“Yeah, we can do that. That’s a good one Jake.” Jennie willingly acknowledged his suggestion.

 

“I’m built for this Casanova thing you guys.” Look at the height of that ‘head up high’ Jacob is currently sporting. And yes, Jake is having a field day with all the nodding in agreement in the room for his idea.

 

“Thanks Jake, I’m down with all that cheese some other time but I kinda want it to be private, something a little bit more intimate you know.” I said in an apologetic tone, I just really want this to be special, Roseanne isn’t just some girl that you want to do a basic sweep her off her feet kind of move.

 

“Well, that was fast Lilybear. Aren’t you too young for that?” I can’t believe how Jennie put up with my sister really. Her brain works in ways other humans can never comprehend.

 

“Jisoonie, for the love of God, I didn’t mean it like that.”

 

Again, I would like to thank my sister-in-law Jennie for saving the day and keeping my quirky sister’s ideas out of the conversation. Her hand is currently on Jisoo’s mouth to stop her from speaking.

 

“Well, how about you ask Wendy to help you write a song? Like a confession song? Then you guys can play during music time with the kids and then take her out for dinner after work, tell her how you feel in whichever private place you may deem fit?” It was Jennie’s turn to chip in.

 

“Yeah, that sounds doable Lily, simple yet thoughtful.” Jake and Jisoo nod in unison.

 

“Guys, I might ruin the supposedly fun and vibrant music time for the kids. I can’t do that. Why is it so hard to express these feelings, can’t I just tell her straight up and be done with it?” I seriously want to stop turning down suggestions if I want to make something happen but something just doesn’t feel right. I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of the girl that I like.

 

“Yeah, you can do that but I doubt it. We know you, Lisa. You are always extra. Mediocre is not in your vocabulary.” My sister Jisoo has definitely rubbed off on Jennie and it shows.

 

“You are never wrong, Jen.” I replied with my hands up in defeat.

 

“Oh dear, okay. Jisoo.. Your thoughts?” We have no other choice but to resort to the last (wo)man standing, her great thoughts and ideas. I can’t wait to hear them, really.. Help me.

 

“YES OKAY GREAT I’M ALLOWED TO SPEAK NOW.” Jisoo removed Jennie’s hand in a blink of an eye and proceeded to speak coupled with the biggest grin.

 

“Under strict supervision, yeah. Make the most out of it.” Jennie cautioned her.

 

“Right, it’s simple. Remember the first time that you guys met, or talked, you want something private right? How about doing something that only the two of you would understand.

 

Something that will remind you of the progress that you guys made and then you can take it from there, say something like you want her to be with you on the many other journeys that you’ll take and that it will never be the same without her by your side, a relationship that will go beyond friendship and companionship, it’s up to you if you want to tone it down or whatever. You know her best by now. Just tell her how you feel Lilybear, be yourself and be honest. It usually works and if it doesn’t, well.. We are here for you.”

 

That’s the perfect idea! I feel awful for not trusting how ridiculously smart my sister can get. She can be the goofiest person on earth and then turn into a genius in a heartbeat.

 

“Thanks Jisoonie.. I think I know what I want to do now.” A great idea has formed in my head and by the gods, I hope this works!

 

“Jake, can you do me a favor?” I immediately turned my attention to my dumbfounded best friend, the turn of events caught him off guard probably. The Jisoo effect in action.

 

“Anything for the Lilybear.”

 

“Can you try your best and get Rosie back on the hotline for just a day?” Step 1 of the Plan is in play.

 

“Consider it done Lily.”

 

A fist bump to make it official and binding. This is why Jacob is my best friend.

 

In my peripheral vision, I can see Jennie hugging a crying Jisoo. Did I say something wrong? Is my sister pregnant?! She has been really emotional?!

 

“Look at our Lilybear, she’s all grown up now. She’s about to start a family.” Okay, nevermind.

 

“Jisoo, I think she’s just gonna ask Rosie out, officially. The wedding bells are off the table for now.” Jennie rolled her eyes and sighed.

 

“You’ll never know Jen, you’ll never know. This is my sister we’re talking about. She’s got that Jisoo go getter gene going on in there.” Jisoo proudly answered back.

 

“Jake, go and take Lisa out for a snack or something before Jisoo here corrupts Lisa’s mind with all the wedding ideas.”

 

“Oh, don’t worry Jen, I have better ones.” Jacob puts his arms around my shoulders and ruffles my hair. I told him to never do that.

 

“Bless you, Lisa. Hang in there.” Jennie responds with a hint of worry in her eyes as she hugs me and waved goodbye. I think she feels sorry that I’m surrounded with these types of people in my life.

 

***

 

After Jacob dropped off Lisa to her workplace. He was on his way to Roseanne’s place for step 1 of The Plan. Lisa did not divulge that much on her plan; all he knew was that he had to get Rosie to attend to some calls for a day.

 

Jacob is mighty proud of his best friend. Finally, he gets to see Lisa genuinely happy now that her sisters are back and she’s on her way to finally get the girl. Jacob wasn’t blind nor dumb, he knew the moment Roseanne’s name was mentioned by Lisa. He knew that his best friend was on to something and it was affirmed when Lisa gushed over Roseanne.

 

He didn’t want to assume anything, but he’d seen them together at some occasion, he’d seen how Lisa would fidget and pace back and forth while waiting for Roseanne on their “friendly dates.” He’d seen how Roseanne blushes when Lisa smiles and takes her hand, how both of them naturally gravitate towards each other and for him, it is so endearing to see how this accumulation of moments has brought them to today. The day when Lisa finally decided to listen to her heart and not care about if she’s following her plan or if she’s doing the right steps. This is Lisa being spontaneous and vulnerable, this is also Lisa being honest and most importantly, this is Lisa, his best friend, being in love, considering love as something more than just her clients complain about, love as something more than just an emotion. Love as how Lisa perceives it and Jacob is there to support her all the way.

 

Jacob alights his car and proceeds to knock on Roseanne’s door, with the biggest smile on his face, excitement and nervousness all over his veins.

 

Roseanne was surprised when she opened the door, in a split second, Jacob was welcomed by a heartwarming smile and a melodious hello. No wonder his best friend is head over heels for this gorgeous woman.

 

“Jake! How have you been?”

 

“I’m great Roseanne. How have YOU been!” Jacob nervously replied, giving out an awful attempt to convey the same energy to his greeting.

 

“I’m doing great as well, Jake. Come in, come in. I can’t wait to hear the reason you’re here. I know you Jake, you call and send a message, it’s another thing for you to ‘set up a meeting.” Roseanne said as she ushered Jacob to the living room.

 

“Are you sure you’re not my employee anymore?”

 

Roseanne sweetly smiles and chuckles at Jake’s attempt to redeem himself.

 

“For the record, this is not a meeting. This is me being a great friend to you, you can thank me later.” Jacob cleared out, in an attempt to regain his composure. Who would’ve thought helping out his best friend can be this nerve wracking?

 

“Hmm, interesting. Go on, I’m all ears.”

 

“I just need you to drop by the office tomorrow, teach the newbies some of your tricks, easy peasy isn’t it?” Fake it til’ you make it, Jacob thought to himself.

 

“Okaaay? What’s the catch?” Roseanne curiously asked.

 

“You’ll know tomorrow.”

 

“Jake, I wish I had the time, but I have work tomorrow.”

 

. What now, Jake. What would Lisa do. What would Lisa do.

 

“And besides you have trainers, right? They can do that for you.” Roseanne added while Jacob was struggling to find a way out of this mess that he has made.

 

“It’s a special client Roseanne, I just need to make sure that we get this done squeaky clean. I need your expertise on this, please? And besides, I thought you had no work schedule tomorrow? Lisa told me that it’s supposed to be some sort of a day off kind of thing.” Jacob hits the pedal to the metal, there’s no turning back now. He can just inform Lisa later. He secretly crossed his fingers.

 

“A special client huh? Where have I heard this before? Anyway, she never told me? And it’s a Monday tomorrow?” Jacob has had enough of the interrogations for today. He was holding on for dear life as Roseanne threw a series of questions at him.

 

“I guess it’s a spontaneous decision. Hehe you know Lisa she does something like this every now and then, hehe.” Jacob nervously chuckles.

 

“Right, not a Lisa thing to do but sure. Maybe we should just call her.” Roseanne promptly suggested.

 

“Yeah, I agree! Let me call her right now.” Jacob immediately got off from the couch all panicky trying to locate his phone in his pocket. Praying that Lisa answers and goes along with his spontaneous plan.

 

“Hey Lily, sorry to bother you! Yeah, I’m with Roseanne right now.”

Yeah, remember that you mentioned it’s a break from work day tomorrow?

Yeah, also Wendy knows right?

I don’t think you’ve mentioned this to Roseanne.

I’m putting you on speaker now.”

 

Jacob blabbered on, hoping Lisa understood what he was trying to tell her.

 

“Uh- h-hey Rosie. Sorry for the abrupt changes in the work schedule. I just figured, you know, umm, you guys work hard for the kids so might as well extend the weekend for another day, so you get ample rest, right? Jake?” Lisa nervously spoke, she was obviously caught off guard and is currently thinking of ways to smack the out of his best friend the next time they meet.

 

“Yeah, absolutely. My phone is dying Lily, call you back, bye, thanks.” Jacob hurriedly ended the call.

 

“Well, there you have it. Hehe. So, can you please drop by tomorrow? I promise you it’s going to be quick, no sweat.” With the last bit of strength left in him, Jacob laid out his last card.

 

“Okay Jake, you’re sweating and all. Looks like a really important client. I’m glad I can help you out.” Roseanne assured him, seemingly convinced by Jacob’s superb acting.

 

“Thanks Roseanne, you’re the best! I promise it’s gonna be worth your while.” A huge sigh of relief was evident on Jacob’s face.

 

“You bet, Jake! Are you staying for lunch or?”

 

“Ah well, you know me. Always on the go. See you tomorrow, okay?”

 

“Yeah, sure Jake. Take care.”

 

That was quite weird but very on brand by Jake, Roseanne thought to herself. She decides to give Lisa a call to clear things out or maybe hear her voice just for a little while. Lisa has been out and about these days and Roseanne can’t help to feel a bit sad though she understands that this means that Lisa’s meeting with her sisters had gone well, she’s happy for Lisa and she can’t wait for the time that Lisa is ready to share the good news. She also cannot deny the fact that she misses the life coach, a lot. So, she decides to send her a message.

 

Roseanne was about to type in her message when a notification popped up.

 

            Lisa :”> : Hiiii Rosie, sorry i’m out and about these days..

                        : promise to make it up to you, asap

                        : sorry about the schedule too, will explain in a bit

                        : I miss you, just so you know. ;)

                        :Can I call you later today, please?

 

She can’t help but to smile and blush. It’s a simple set of messages for crying out loud but over the months of knowing Lisa, this feeling isn’t foreign to Roseanne anymore. She had learned to accept and embrace the fact that everything Lisa related makes her heart race in weird patterns and it is especially evident since that intimate talk that they had a few weeks back.

 

One of these days she has to go back to her thinking couch and finally find the time to figure out how she really feels for the life coach. They have been hanging out a lot and it was nothing but great whenever she’s with Lisa. Her walking ball of sunshine and hope. She’s glad to have seen and known the different sides of Lisa and how Lisa made it so easy and simple to share the different sides of herself as well. As if life’s complexity dissolves whenever they share their thoughts notwithstanding the fact that there is, clearly, pure joy and excitement whenever they spend time together.

 

It has always been this simple with Lisa, like everything just falls into place and all she needs to do is to appreciate everything that is happening around them.

 

She had never felt this way before.

 

Back then, she was living because the sun shining through her window woke her up, or maybe her alarm clock woke her up for another day of work, she was living because she had bills to pay, she was living just because she was still breathing.

 

But recently, everything began to change. When she met Lisa, everything began to change.

She was living because there was music once again and everything, from the sunlight shining through her window in the morning, the flowers dancing along with the wind at her little garden in the afternoon, the moon glowing sharing erratic beats with the stars at night, was music in different forms and she was, by all means, thrilled to sing and hum along to all of it.

 

She felt her job was every bit purposeful, sharing and creating music with the kids every day, it was something that will inspire you to live and be thankful for the life that you have.

 

Inspired was an understatement. Roseanne felt like she was given another shot at life, redemption at its finest, and everything began when she allowed this weird, arrogant caller to get on her nerves on that eventful day, when she allowed this sweet, kindhearted woman to introduce her to the most adorable kids on the planet, when she allowed herself to get to know Lisa, the life coach, the dorky best friend, the forgiving sister, the woman who she adores the most.

 

Now she lives because everyday is worth living, no matter what circumstances that day has set for her.

 

Everything is appreciated, Roseanne appreciates her.

 

So she replies, to the one person who helped her appreciate everything life has to offer and who is currently giving meaning to her life.

 

            To Lisa :”> : I miss you too. ;)

                          : I’d be glad to hear your voice, I’ll be waiting for your call :)