Arbitrary

Interim

Everything was a blur.

Resignation. Weird last call. Life Coach. A strangely attractive stranger, luckily she had a name. Her haunting past. Louis. Lisa. Piano. Music. Lisa and everything associated with her was a blur. As if the past few weeks was triggered by a snap. An impulse. Or some weird energy that the universe kept throwing at her. 

Everything was happening so fast and Roseanne can't help but to have her daily rundown of her life's weirdest but astonishingly satisfying moments.

Maybe it's normal for someone who had been living alone for so long, talking to herself, reminiscing, contemplating about life in general. Roseanne swears she's not the only one living this type of life. Was it called quarter life crisis? This term kept popping up in her head recently. Maybe she read it somewhere. She's fond of reading, that explains it? Hopefully?

Roseanne found herself staring at her good friend. This good friend of hers was, as if mirroring the quizzical look on her face. 

How long have we been staring at each other Joohwangieeee?"

Roseanne laughs to herself while letting her hand drop down to her beloved aquarium, her good friend's prized lair. Joohwang, her pet fish, a unique type of pet, as Roseanne might add, swam around her hand and flicked its tail as if to high five Roseanne's hand. 

After a few minutes of "hanging out" with Joohwang. Roseanne decided to have breakfast and finally tackle a rather pressing issue. 

Her unemployment.

She had bills to pay. Her savings will eventually run out if she's not able to find a source of income. Roseanne was thinking hard,  real hard.. aggressively munching on her salad, and slightly eyeing the chili pepper lying around her dining table, she had acquired an odd liking to snacking chili peppers. 

A stare down with a few remnants of her salad, and her next victim, chili peppers. Roseanne was snapped out of her trance by her phone ringing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Rosieee! Good morning to ya! It's Lisa! Sorry to ring you so early in the morning!" 

"Morning Lily, it's okay. I just finished having breakfast, what's up?"

" Aww, missed my chance! Well, can we have lunch then? I just wanted to discuss something, if you don't mind? or i can just drop by, if it's okay with you? Do you have any plans for today?"

"I'd say this might be your lucky day then, but I have to clean 'round the house, might take me a while."

"Oh I see.. well, I can give you a hand, if that's okay with you?  I can also throw in some fabulous lunch in there since I'm bothering you again."

" Oh no Lily, you don't have to. I can cook for us. You're not bothering me, it's fine. Could use some company every now and then."

" Please I insist, I know cleaning an entire house is tiring, I can barely clean my room, hah! I promise, lunch would be out of this world!"

" Right, if you insist. I'll see you then."

"Cool! Be there in a jiff!."

--------------------------------- 

Oh great, just freakin' great. Lisa is dropping by and I haven't done anything productive yet!  Roseanne sighed as she plopped on her couch. 

This couch should be renamed as her 'thinking couch' since it invokes a lot of thinking aura to lure Roseanne into thinking, overthinking, trying to make sense of what seems to be her now fast paced life. 

Does she really need to drop by? Was it really important? Lisa, does she always have a way to make people agree with whatever she desires? Was it one of those tactics that life coaches do to help you keep things straight in life? It isn't bad to spend another day with a friend, is it?  Are we considered as friends already? We just met? What do I do with my life right now? 

"I need to clean the house. Freshen up and prepare for lunch with my unofficial friend." Roseanne huffed as she finally stood up from her 'thinking couch', leaving her whirlwind of questions for more thinking later. 

Roseanne was dusting the hopefully last speck of dust left in the stack of books inside her room when the door bell rang. 

Crap. I haven't taken a bath yet. I hope Lisa doesn't notice and if she does I hope she doesn't mind.  Roseanne quickly checked herself in front of the mirror before rushing down the stairs to open the door. 

Roseanne was greeted with a huge grin and a mouth watering scent of food. Roseanne could've sworn that the woman in front of her was like a walking ball of sunshine. Lisa always have that beaming smile, and every move she makes was almost bouncy, as if she skips as she moves. Lisa looks happy and excited. That's the only thing that Roseanne can decipher for now, or at least these are the words that she could think of because she feels the same.. weirdly, whenever Lisa is around. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rosie! Hiiiiii! You still remember me don't you?" Lisa asked, she noticed Roseanne was sporting a quizzical look on her face, as if she was in deep thought. 

Of course silly! Quit the pouting!"

" Oh sorry. You were staring at me for a while? As if you were trying to remember me? Something like that?"

" I was?? hmm.. I'm probably hungry or something. Please, please come in. Those smell heavenly Lily, thanks for these!!"  Roseanne was grateful she was able to salvage the conversation, she was caught 'slipping up' yet again. God, what's with this woman, really. 

" You're always welcome Rosie." Another cheeky grin emanated from Lisa's face as she made her way inside. 

So, for some reason, I was able to clean the entire house but I badly need a shower, would it be okay if I leave you here for a while?  I have a bunch of books near the tv set, if you're into reading? My switch is just right on top of those, Mario Kart? It's fun! Just make yourself at home for a bit Lily?"

Will do stinky posie, go freshen up." Lisa winked at her. 

"The audacity!" Roseanne screamed as she went up the stairs, making her way into the bathroom.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh dear lord, what do I do with this woman?!" 

"Why does she look at me like that? Who does that? She badly needs a shower?! Still looking gorgeous and all that jazz?"

"Jake! What is this? I barely made it through our conversation! The last bit of confidence left in me was extinguished by her eyes and her cute cheeks and her smile.."

 "god her smile Jaaaaaake ~ save me please T______T"

"How do I survive lunch with her? Please call me back as soon as you can?"

" No! I mean, just text me back with something okay? Don't call, don't ruin it for me champ."

" Wow, I'm losing my here really. Wish me luck Jake T_T"

----------------------------------------------------------------

As Roseanne made her way to the dining table, she found Lisa on her phone, typing furiously. Might be work related, she thought. 

"Hey Lily, everything okay?"  Roseanne sat beside Lisa, lingering curious eyes on the life coach. 

" I--uh, yeah of course! We, uhh. We should eat! I've already set up the table. I saw the plates and utensils on the table so I uhh.. you know, set it up heh. Sorry I know I shouldn't be messing around with your things, but umm.."

Relax Lily, it's okay. Let's eat! I'm starving, not gonna lie." Roseanne mindlessly grabbed Lisa's hand and led her to the dining table which did not go unnoticed by the life coach. 

" Yeah I figured, I think I might have heard a grumbling stomach somewhere 'round here.." Lisa threw out another wink at the blushing lady next to her. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Lunch went by quite fast, both of them obviously enjoying their meal. Little chit chat here and there. Lisa knew the topic was going to come up eventually..

Work. 

To her dismay, it was never brought up. There was some close calls but Lisa felt like Roseanne was deliberately avoiding it. She noticed how Roseanne was quick and eager to change topics. 

Lisa was racking her brain to come up with a way to bring up the topic. When they were cleaning up, Lisa decided to let it slide and just think of other ways, and some other time to ask her about it. She figured it isn't everyday that she gets to eat lunch and spend quality time with an angel, this was one for the books so she should make the most out of it. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Lily, that was a lovely meal. Thank you, really. I appreciate you going out of your way just to have lu--- oh! I almost forgot about that! You said you wanted to discuss something with me Lily?  What is it?  Roseanne asked Lisa while rummaging through her cupboard, thinking of offering Lisa some tea. 

" Yeah.. about that Rosie.. do you mind if we stay at your porch for a bit? It looks so.. inviting. I'll explain everything there, would that be okay?"

Sure thing Lily, it's my favorite part of the house actually, next to my 'thinking couch.'  

Now she definitely renamed her couch.

"Would you like some tea? It kind of completes the ambiance you know? "  Roseanne chuckled as she tried to lighten up the mood, she noticed how Lisa was a bit tense, with clenched fists and worried eyes.

" That would be lovely, thank you Rosie."

In no time, both of them were enjoying the warmth that engulfed them, partly from the tea, mostly from Lisa and Roseanne; the porch, the vivid skyline, Lisa felt like it was a heinous crime to interrupt this moment. 

" So, umm.. Louis adores you, you know.." Lisa scrambled for words, a part of her knows that the topic she was about to bring up is quite delicate. 

"God, he's such a lovely boy! but umm, you already told me that Lily.. remember? last time? before we left the center?"

" Well yeah, hmm.. Can I tell you a story Rosie?"

" Mm-hm, go on." 

" There was once, two complete strangers who have met due to.. let's just say unexpected circumstances.. a little girl, an orphan, and another little girl who seemed to have everything the former wanted in life. The little girl's parents put up a foundation which provided shelter for the homeless kids. Since her parents were exceptionally busy with work and being the only child, the little girl grew fond of the kids at the shelter and eventually, the little girl and the orphan became best friends..

The parents were part of Korea's National Intelligence Service, this was no secret to the young girl. At an early age, her parents did their best to explain their line of work, which was also the main reason why even though they wanted a big family, her parents figured it will provide 'complications' and they didn't want to 'attract further danger' to their complex lives..

But life as we know it was terribly unfair to the little girl. During her 18th birthday, her parents were caught in the crossfire of a case that they've been working on for years. As if her parents knew their forthcoming demise, their gift to the young lady was her best friend's adoption papers, they were officially sisters from then on but were also orphans at the same time.."

" You see Rosie, both those girls were good friends of mine.. the daycare center.. it was their idea, a fulfilled promise, in honor of their parents. I made it my life's mission to look after it, for the kids that made it their homes, for those two who were once strangers but were destined to be in each other lives as sisters. 

It breaks my heart to see the kids suffering, to see them forgo the activities that they used to enjoy.. Music is something the kids look forward to everyday.. we're currently lacking the manpower to hold the weekly musical classes Rosie.. I can't let that happen, not to the kids, they deserve everything good this world has to offer."

" That day, you and Louis.. it was like you were meant to be there, like music emanated from you, like music was you. I'm not asking for an immediate answer Rosie, but please, please think about it?"

" It would be our honor and pleasure to have you as our music teacher. I hope you'd consider it." 

For a brief moment, there was deafening silence.. 

Lisa wanted to speak, to take back everything that she said, but no words came out. It's like the wind was knocked out of her. Her eyes were apologetic as she searched for Rosie's eyes. The latter just staring out in the open. 

That was a hauntingly beautiful story Lily.."  Roseanne finally broke the silence.

Come here.."  Roseanne moved her seat closer and let her arms guide Lisa's head to lean into her shoulder. 

Lisa hummed as she leaned her head and closed her eyes. It has never been this peaceful. 

I'll think about Lily, I promise.. Thank you.."  Roseanne whispered as she mimicked Lisa's previous gesture.

Both of them were startled when Lisa's phone rang. 

Although Lisa wondered why she needed to excuse herself and apologise, she still did. It felt like something was interrupted. Jake's phone call interrupted something.

--------------------------------------------------------------

" Jake, this better be good, I swear to god!" Lisa hushed screamed at the other line. 

" What the hell mate? You told me to call?!.."

" Oh.. wait.. OH! Oh I'm sorry Lily! I kinda overlooked the other messages. In my defense, there were tons of them!! So.. how did it go? Spill the freakin' beans mate!"

" Lily? Hello?.."

All Jacob heard was a sigh. 

" Oh dear, I interrupted something didn't I? Sorry mate! Well then, just meet me after Lily, I need the deets!"

--------------------------------------------------------

When Lisa decided to head back to the porch, she found Roseanne cleaning their leftover biscuits and tea. 

" Need a hand ma'am?" Lisa said as she smiled and reached for her teacup. 

" It's all good Lily, I got this."  Roseanne smiled back and finished up cleaning. 

It's getting dark don't you think? You should head home before it's gets too late for you to drive Lily."

" Time flies when you're having fun, right? Thank you for indulging me Rosie, I appreciate it, really."

It sure does.. now off you go! Drive safely! Thank you for the lovely lunch Lily!"

"The pleasure is mine Rosie, the pleasure is mine."

Lisa and her signature wink. What a dork. Roseanne thought to herself as she made her way back to her house, shaking her head, with a silly smile and blushing cheeks. 

And so we meet again my ever so reliable thinking couch. It's going to be a long night..