Redux

Interim

Lisa's dating life wasn't stagnant, she had been to dates quite a few times. It wasn't just long enough for her to understand why feelings.. .. and how do people eventually deal with things that, you know,  , like being in denial.

Why waste time on things that will eventually leave, falter, and diminish?

That wasn’t a nice perspective, really..

but Lisa knows the complexity of emotions, she had been a constant witness of its wreck and glory with people through her line of work. And at some point, in her life, she was once a storyteller too, the only difference was that no one was there to listen.

Now as she is “slowly” coming to terms with her undeniable attraction to a certain Roseanne Park, Lisa is rattled to the core, as if something forbidden was about to be unearthed, the dusty old map is in her hands, a blinding light at the far end of the maze, suddenly a pathway is clear as a calm river underneath her feet.

This weird clarity scares her. This newfound exploration and adventure scares her because it involves feelings which seems oddly familiar but ridiculously foreign at the same time... it involves spontaneity, a hefty scoop of risk and danger, danger in the form of curious eyes and warm smiles.

Roseanne was every definition of living in the moment.

And just like every Indiana Jones to a golden treasure, Lisa, naturally, instinctively, gravitated towards it.. towards her as if to a point of no turning back.


IT'S NOT EVEN THE TWO OF US. IT'S ME, JAKE AND HER. GOOD GOD GET A ING GRIP LISA.

 

As Lisa was mentally anguished, her phone's notifications were off the hook.

 

Jakey: Lily, this is me calmly telling you to get your head out of your arse. JUST GET DRESSED WILL YA? IT'S NOT LIKE SHE'S GONNA EAT YOU ALIVE. THIS ISN'T YOU. DO YOU WANT THE GIRL OR DO YOU WANT MY BOOT ON YOUR FACE?

 

Jakey: SLOW POKE. LIFE COACH MY . I AM COACHING YOU RN. WHO R U AND WHERE IS LISA

PPS. RESERVATIONS DONE. DRESS NICELY!

 

Jakey: OKAY LILY, LET'S NOT KEEP HER WAITING OKAY? YOU GOT THIS, SERIOUSLY. SHE'S REALLY NICE, YOU KNOW THAT BY NOW RIGHT?

 

Jakey: I'M IN YOUR AREA IN 5, GET IT TOGETHER.

 

Rosie: Hi Lisa, Jacob called.. I was just wondering if you're okay with picking me up? I can find my way around, really. I just need an address. Thanks!

 

Crap! Okay, okay. There isn’t a day where I didn’t dress nicely and  today is not going to be a first! Now I just need to send a reply to Rosie. Easy peasy.

At this point, Lisa was pacing back and forth, cold sweat trickling down her neck.  So much for “easy peasy”.

 

To Jakey: Jake, I forwarded you something. H E L P ! How do people reply to this? I mean, why would she ask if I'm okay with picking her up. Of course, I'd love to. It's totally fine by me, she can like pick my heart up in return, right? ;) 

 

Jakey: At the door rn, forwarded to Rosie.

 

Lisa was just about to reply when she heard someone pounding at her door. At the same time, Jacob was met by a furious Lisa, screaming her lungs out with her hand tightly gripping her phone.

 

"JAKE YOU PRICK!! Why would you send her that?! How am I supposed to pick her up now Jake?! Why!! What are you even doing here!! I thought we were supposed to meet at the restaurant?!”

Jacob was so used to his best friend’s outburst, he did not even flinch and proceeded to respond calmly.

"Okay first, you asked for help. Second, I brought you a sunflower, nothing too extravagant and overwhelming, just really one stem, super friendly, enough to make her smile and still be comfortable, trust me! Thank me later Casanova!”

As Lisa was still processing everything in her head, Jacob takes the opportunity to set up the final touches to his plan.  

“Now get inside the car and pick her up. Before you say anything, I know you haven't cleaned your car in god knows how long, would you want Rosie to be swimming in files and folders?”

“Yup, I'll take that as a yes.”

“Now off you go, enjoy! No more buts. You're running late!”

Jacob pushed Lisa out of her own home and into the ‘dashing carriage’ parked conveniently right by the curb.

Out of all the panic and ruckus, Lisa was able to send a reasonable reply to Rosie a few minutes after hopping into Jake's car.

 

To Rosie:" Hehe Jake's joking really, please ignore the pick up my heart thing. He's dumb! Also, I'll be there in 30 or less. See you!"

Rosie: Drive safely, We’ll talk later, see you!

 

As Lisa was driving towards Rosie's address, her thoughts kept going to how would Rosie react to the last message she sent (not the pitiful forwarded message) It was a rather impulsive move, but my god, nothing good happens after 2am yeah, yeah, but this is Rosie, everything is good as long as it involves her newfound 'friend' Rosie.

It is also an obvious fact that she wants to help Rosie and she strongly feels that Rosie will be the best music teacher to the children at the centre. Louis absolutely adores her.. and Wendy.. Rosie and Wendy teaching music to the kids, a match made in heaven.

But who is she to impose upon Rosie? All of these are just mere suggestions. She knows Rosie is an independent woman who is capable of making decisions and will definitely make one that will benefit her. and Lisa, of all people, should know and respect that.

So, the entire drive was full of pep talk and reminders on how to be a functioning human being because Lisa is going to meet her friend Rosie and it’s all going to be okay, there’s nothing to worry about..

 

“Good god, what if she’s allergic to flowers?!”


Lisa finally managed to reach her destination without going absolute bonkers.

As she stepped outside her new dashing carriage, her eyes were blessed with the sight of Roseanne at her front porch, eyes closed, humming to an inaudible beat, the slight breeze kissing her pink hair, almost entangling with the headphones on her ears; and for the nth time today, Lisa was awestruck by the sheer beauty of what’s happening right in front of her and no one might be able to bring her back.

“ Lisa? Is everything okay?”

“How long have you been here? Sorry, I was just listening to some music.”

And maybe, just maybe, a certain someone did bring her back to reality and my oh my, was it music to her ears.

“ Um, yeah. I-uh, was just admiring the surroundings.. it’s you know, GREEEEN ~ It’s beautiful! Today’s a nice day isn’t it?”

Roseanne was curiously looking at an obviously dazed Lisa.

“ Yes, it is! Would you like to come in for a bit? Was there traffic on your way here? You sure you’re okay?”

Lisa placed her hands on her pockets, curled them up, urging herself to get it together.

“ Mm-hm, you have nothing to worry about Rosie. Can we stay at your porch for a bit? I have a feeling I might have interrupted something earlier.”

Lisa flashed her signature smile and Roseanne thought that this is how people get away with anything they want.

“Interrupted something?” Roseanne asked as both made their way to the porch.

“Yeah, I saw you were so into whatever you’re listening to, so I didn’t have the heart to interrupt.” Lisa’s hand brushed Roseanne’s as she was about to sit.

“And you chose to stand there looking like an absolute creep?” Roseanne didn’t understand why she blurted this out or maybe this was her saving grace, that touch sent shockwaves to her entire body.

“ Yeah, I guess. I mean nooo ~ sorry. I was just, you know, liked seeing you sway along with the music, like you were almost in sync with the flowers here, swaying along with the wind..” Lisa found her words and a way to scoot closer.

“ Jeez, I was kidding Lisa! I didn’t even notice you were there, and no, I don’t think you’re a creep, if anything, I think you’re pretty.. nice. Thanks for agreeing to pick me up, you didn’t have to.” And so, the ‘saving grace’ made Roseanne speak way too fast for her liking.

“ I don’t mind, really.. and I wanted to see you, you know, like see if you’re doing well and such..”

The big bang theory was a complete lie. It wasn’t a black hole. It was an explosion of pink cheeks and shy smiles, at least in this world, this is what happened.

The two of them was just there, sitting, looking at anything and everything but each other.

“I think I might have forgotten something, let me just go back and check the car, I’ll be quick.” Yup, Lisa lived a double life, Life Coach by day, The Flash by night.

“ Right! God, I’m so dumb! The sunflower!”

Lisa tried her best to casually make her way back to the porch, one hand at her back, carefully cradling the sunflower.

“ So.. I was thinking of ditching the reservation. I mean, it’s just so peaceful here, but we can go, if you’d like.” Lisa tried not to sound so adamant of spending more quiet times with Rosie.

“ I was about to ask you the same thing.. and Jake, I thought we were supposed to meet him?”

As Lisa was about to answer, Roseanne’s phone started to ring and disrupted their mini staring contest.

“So Jake called and said that something came up and asked me to keep you company for now?” Roseanne turned to Lisa with a slight hint of confusion in her voice.

“ Great, then it’s settled then? Your porch might be the next greatest thing next to my bed.” Lisa answered as she flopped down and landed on the mini pillows scattered around.

“Silly! Come on, let’s head inside, it will probably be too dark outside to gaze around.” Roseanne tried her best not to laugh at Lisa’s silly act.    

“Yeah, me and my little friend right here might actually get cold.” Lisa figured now is the right time to give her little gift.

      “Sorry?”

As Roseanne turned around, she was greeted by a beautiful sunflower carefully embraced by Lisa’s slightly shaking hands.

“ Here, I got you something. I hope you like sunflowers.. Just you know, a little something for you..” The apparent nervousness was evident in Lisa’s eyes, and her voice at its lowest range, just enough for Roseanne to hear.

“ Aww Lisa, thank you. This is beautiful.” Roseanne smiled brightly and by now Lisa was mesmerized by two personifications of the sun, one of a flower and one of a person.

“ Yes,  it sure is.. Extraordinary.” This was the only word that Lisa can mutter and, in that moment, Roseanne with a flower on her hand and a disarming smile, all the sudden rush of emotions, Lisa found a new definition for extraordinary.

Lisa let Roseanne lead her inside the cozy bungalow, she felt her phone vibrate, a message notification from Jake.

     Jakey: Ball’s in play champ, take us home!


 

Roseanne made them a nice cup of hot chocolate as Lisa busied herself with Mario Kart.

She discovered that the life coach was an avid fan of everything chocolate, a new addition to her favorite side of Lisa, the simple one. Not the arrogant caller, not even the life coach. Just Lisa. This Lisa.

    

     “ Hey Rosie, I think I topped your high score!”

     “ Oh,  you did? You just keep winning, don’t you?”

“If winning means playing Mario Kart, a hot chocolate and a pretty girl beside me, then yes! I guess I keep on winning!”

“Okay, I think that’s the sugar rush speaking...”

 

This was too much for Roseanne to handle and so in an attempt to save herself from dying because of too much blushing, she decides to bring up a rather serious conversation that has been bugging her ever since Lisa brought it up.

“ Can I tell you something Lisa?” Roseanne asked as she mindlessly moved closer to Lisa like she was a magnet and Rosie was made with every metal material.

“ Of course, you can tell me anything.” Lisa, with her arms guiding her head, leaned down on the couch and answered back.

“ I was thinking about your offer, the teaching job at the centre..” Roseanne trailed off.

Lisa’s slight nod urging her to go on.

“ You see, it took me a long time to be comfortable working around with music again, but this time, I think it will be nice to be re-introduced to it, you know.”

Lisa can see it in Roseanne’s eyes, the apprehension, the hint of pain, but most importantly, a spark of hope in those expressive eyes.

“I told you, I’m willing to listen to whatever music you wish to create, remember?

Lisa said softly and it took every single ounce of her strength to stop herself from caressing Rosie’s blushing cheeks as Rosie answered with a nod and a shy smile.   

“Thank you, Lisa. This means a lot to me.” Roseanne leaned her head onto Lisa’s shoulders.

     “I know Rosie, I know.”

Although her heart was pounding inside her chest, Lisa knew that the only thing that will calm her down was to be closer to the source of this predicament, and so she leaned her head too..

For the nth time today, she’s right. It did calm her down just like she predicted it.

 

For the first time in years, Lisa feels like she’s finally home.

 

To hell with being scared, this right here is all that matters from now on, she thought to herself.