XIII. A Painful Family Visit

Distant Torment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DOUBLE UPDATE: I updated 24 hours ago!

Baekhyun and Chanyeol made their way back to the precinct with the awful news weighing on them that a family’s son had been murdered. It was never easy having to tell a family that they had lost someone they loved because of someone else’s actions. It wasn’t easy looking into the eyes of the people left behind to tell them truthfully that after thinking that it was an accidental death, it was actually caused by someone else. 

Baekhyun sighed as they reached their desks, and he looked up the address of Cha Dohyun’s family members. Jieun was set to do some more digging in terms of what exactly happened through the autopsy, and he and Chanyeol were going to head over to Cha Dohyun’s family’s place to tell them the news. Chanyeol went into the Chief’s room in order to update him, and once Baekhyun had scribbled the address down on a piece of paper, he went to wait by the elevator. Pulling out his phone, he checked his messages. There was nothing of importance that had to answer immediately, but there was one from his aunt telling him that she was back in town for the next few months. She’d been out of the country for quite some time now, and it would’ve been nice to go see her if he hadn’t been suddenly given this case. Baekhyun leaned his head against the wall and closed his eyes for a brief moment before replying. He had just put his phone away when Chanyeol stepped out of the room.

“You got the address?” he asked. Baekhyun nodded. “Let’s go.” 

The car ride was mostly quiet. Chanyeol spent some time on his phone, presumably texting his family about the case that had suddenly popped up which would probably push the vacation he’d been planning. Chanyeol was going to go away for a week to a nearby resort with his parents, older sister, and brother in law, but now they would probably have to push off the vacation until they could finish the case.

“You know...I could probably ask someone else for help on this. You can go,” Baekhyun spoke up. Baekhyun saw Chanyeol look at him out of the corner of his eye.

“And leave you to deal with this and Haeun going out on a date? No, thank you. You might implode with all those feelings. We can push the vacation back a few weeks. It’s not that big of a deal. ”

“One day, I’m going to murder you.”

“Hey, then Haeun can be your lawyer!”

Baekhyun didn’t answer that, and instead glowered in silence as a response. Chanyeol snickered before going back to his phone. Just like that, the atmosphere between the two of them had lightened up, but unfortunately, the reality of what they were about to do had sobered them up once they had arrived at their destination They got out of the car and rang the doorbell, waiting for someone to open it.

A woman who seemed to be in her mid-fifties opened the door, looking tired and haggard. Her eyes were rimmed with red, and just by that it was enough for Baekhyun to understand that it was the victim’s mother. 

“Hi, I’m Detective Park Chanyeol,” Chanyeol spoke, holding up his badge. “This is my partner, Detective Byun Baekhyun. We’re here to speak to you about Cha Dohyun?”

The woman’s eyes widened. “That...he’s my son. But he’s d-dead,” she spoke, her voice cracking. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol for a moment. 

“I think it’s best that we come inside and speak to you, if that’s okay,” Baekhyun gently spoke. The lady looked between the two for a moment and hesitantly nodded, opening the door wider so the two could enter. The door led into the main hallway with the house with photos of the family lining the walls. For the most part, it was pictures of people that Baekhyun assumed were their extended family or friends. There weren’t many photos of Dohyun himself, and Baekhyun found that odd. There were plenty of photos of the mother, a man who he assumed was Dohyun’s father, and a boy who looked not much older than Dohyun - probably his brother, but there weren’t many photos of Dohyun himself.

The woman led them into a living room where there was a man sitting in a lounge chair. He looked like the man standing next to the mother in the photos - Dohyun’s father. There was also the man who Baekhyun assumed was Dohyun’s brother.

“Who is this?” the father asked, getting up. He looked just as tired as the mother did, and Baekhyun felt his heart constrict. He understood the pain of losing someone, but over the years, he had learned that the pain that was associated with murder was somehow worse.

“We’re detectives from the Seoul precinct. We’re here to talk to you about the death of your son, Cha Dohyun,” Baekhyun responded. There was visible confusion in the faces of the family members.

“Oh, please sit,” the father spoke, sitting back down into his chair. The two followed suit, and so did the mother. The brother quietly sat in his spot on the sofa, watching them carefully. He looked a bit like Dohyun with the same round, brown eyes that their parents also shared along with their father's high nose. When Dohyun was alive, he would've been quite popular with the girls, and so would've his brother.

“What is it that you need to say?” asked the mother. Dohyun’s brother picked up a glass of water that was on the coffee table to drink from it.

“Well, Mrs. Cha,” began Baekhyun, “we have evidence that your son was murdered.” Baekhyun watched as Dohyun’s brother’s grip on his glass of water tightened considerably. The parents’ faces paled.

"What do you mean?" asked the mother.

"We were told he overdosed," the father stated. His voice was hard which Baekhyun found odd. Unlike him, Dohyun's mother's voice had been trembling as she tried to control her tears.

“During the autopsy, the medical examiner found some inconsistencies based on what was found to be the cause of death, initially. The angle of injection into the vein was too low for him to have done that to himself.”

“So…you’re saying…he didn’t kill himself?” confirmed Mr. Cha. Ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter