XXV. Irony

Distant Torment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I updated like 12 hours ago! If you haven't read it, go back one chapter!
Seriously, do not scroll down further.
There's a bigger gap to prevent any spoiling.
DO NOT READ THE COMMENTS EITHER.

 

 

 

Haeun’s heart was beating in as she stepped past the threshold of the police station next morning at the bright and early time of 8:30AM. It felt like everything turned upside down overnight, and she didn’t know what was going on.  All she had received was the initial police report that Wooyoung had emailed her last night. Baekhyun had refused a lawyer at the moment, and they decided that she was going to talk to him separately in the morning. Forgoing the initial plan to stay over at Jeonghan’s, she had driven home in a state of shock, and Jeonghan had made sure she was on call with him the entire way home to make sure she didn’t crash her car. She made it home safely and buried herself in work, barely getting a wink of sleep till the early hours of the morning. She felt bleary and tired, but it wasn’t just because she was running on three hours of sleep.

It didn’t make sense to her that Baekhyun out of all people would be arrested for murdering another detective. For all the reasons that she hated Baekhyun, she certainly didn’t wish this on him, and she trusted him enough to know that he wouldn’t actually do such a thing. There was simply no way a man with his sense of justice would go ahead and do the one thing he was trying to stop, and that’s all that was whirling around in Haeun’s mind.

She checked into the police station as Byun Baekhyun’s defense attorney, and one of the police officers took her to the room connected to the interrogation room. After walking in, she stopped dead a few steps away from the center of the room when she caught sight of Chief Kim Heechul. He was standing in front of the window that looked into the interrogation room, arms crossed over his chest. The chief looked over at Haeun when he noticed she walked in, and he sent her a small, tired smile. His eyes were wide but darkened by eyebags. She noticed that he was wearing a regular black button up shirt, the first two buttons open, and the sleeves were rolled up a few inches on his forearms. Usually, she had seen him wearing a proper suit complete with the blazer, but right now, he looked somewhat casual. Haeun had to admit, he was handsome, and he excluded a very regal aura. Wherever he went, he was able to adapt very quickly, and he was able to draw people in with his natural charisma. Haeun felt herself drawn to the man, but there was something about the look in his eyes that bothered her. 

Haeun bowed to the man, and he gestured for her to take a seat at the table a few feet from the one-way window. Glancing through it, she found herself looking at Baekhyun’s hunched back, and she was still looking as she sat down. When Heechul sat down across from her, she finally teared her eyes away from Baekhyun to look at the man in front of her.

“Thank you for coming so quickly, Lawyer Na,” he spoke; his voice wrapping around her like rich honey. She was surprised at how melodic his voice was, and she was beginning to realize that maybe she was more sleep-deprived than she originally thought. 

“Of course,” she responded politely. 

“Were you able to read the police report?” he asked, folding his hands into a clasped fist on the table top.

“Yes, I read it last night.” Several times, she mentally added. As soon as she had gotten home, she printed out the police report and read through it. 

Baekhyun had joined a drug unit detective, Jung Jaehyung, for a stakeout of a potential drug trafficking ring. Somehow, it had gone horribly wrong in that when the police arrived at the scene after reports of gunfire in the area and a request for immediate backup, Jaehyung was found dead with Baekhyun holding a gun in his hand, standing above the dead man. Normally, it wouldn’t have been an issue because it was possible that Jaehyung had died in the gunfight, but Baekhyun’s gun wasn’t police issued, and there was no one else found at the scene — dead or alive.

Heechul unravelled his hands from one another and tapped his left hand’s long fingers on the table in a methodical fashion — one finger hitting the table at a time, followed by the second in quick succession. “You’re aware that this will be a joint investigation from the drug unit and the homicide unit, yes?” Haeun nodded. “I don’t know what happened, but I hope that you can defend him to the best of your ability,” he spoke slowly. “I don’t want to lose one of my best detectives.” He stood up and reached his hand out. Haeun followed suit and shook the man’s hand.

“I’ll do my best, Chief Kim.” 

“I have to go deal with the press, but there will be a police officer stationed outside the interrogation room. There will also be cameras and microphones within the room.” Haeun nodded, knowing all of that information already as that was the standard protocol. He left the room, and after taking a deep breath, she left for the room next door. At first, she stood outside the door, hand on the knob. She bit her lips, wondering how she was going to deal with going in and speaking to Baekhyun for the first time in a few weeks. 

“Is everything okay?” the police officer stationed outside the door asked, and Haeun jumped. He was looking at her strangely, and she blushed.

“Yeah, just thinking,” she responded. 

She quietly opened the door to the interrogation room and stepped in. Her eyes were immediately locked onto Baekhyun, and she was surprised that he hadn't noticed her come in considering she was simply a few steps away. The light in the room was harshly bright, but Baekhyun looked completely zoned out, and he was constantly biting his lip. She unconsciously rubbed the bruise on her arm, and she suddenly felt the minor sting on her own lips, but she didn't know if it was because it was her soulmate or the fact that she had been biting her lips quite hard just moments earlier. She took the chance to study the man as she noticed his sunken eyes darting back and forth in the same area as though he was deep in thought. His hands were in cuffs and bound to the table, and his hair looked damp — the brown bangs sticking flat onto his forehead. There was blood splattered on his clothes, and she belatedly realized there was a faint pink tint on his cheek as well, as though he had tried washing the blood off but was unable to get it off completely.

She was so used to seeing Baekhyun as always sure of himself, always confident, and always ready that seeing him nearly broken in front of her had her breathing heavily. She nearly clutched her heart out of pain, not for her own self, but rather for the man sitting in front of her who was looking more and more like a broken boy who desperately needed someone to hug him. He looked just as sleep-deprived as she felt. 

But she couldn't let anyone see that — not her boss and not his boss who would no doubt watch the footage later, and especially not Baekhyun. So, she did what she knew best. She put on a small smile and walked over to him, fully intending to become his confidant and his lawyer, but she still couldn't help a quip that escaped her as Baekhyun finally noticed her presence. She knew that the only way to calm him down was to act as her normal self. Considering their normal was arguing, she figured the best way to act normal was to rile him up a bit.

He looked up at her and surprise filled his tired face.

"Haeun?" he nervously asked, as though he couldn’t actually believe that she was standing there. His voice was hoarse and raw. She sat down in front of him, setting his file down on the desk.

"You know, I can't tell if this entire situation is ironic or not." Baekhyun just looked at her wearily, so she continued speaking. "I mean, you don't know the number of times I thought I'd have to defend Chanyeol, and well, I didn't actually expect you to be the one who got in trouble." Baekhyun looked absolutely stunned, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter