Bonus 1: Desk? Wall? BOTH

Distant Torment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haeun could feel Baekhyun’s eyes boring into her back as she tried to give her closing statement regarding the case — that involved a murder in self-defense — before the court went into recess. He had just given his witness statement,  and honestly, she knew that the ruling could swing either way, but that still meant she had to stay focused on her job. She kept a blank face while she spoke, enunciating her thoughts and what had been discussed in meetings as she prepared for this trial. She wasn’t about to let her boyfriend ruin that.

That didn’t stop Baekhyun from trying to drill a hole in the back of her head with the way he was staring at her. She didn’t know what was wrong with him, but she did know that he wasn’t being subtle about his staring. When she turned to go take a seat, she caught Chanyeol’s eye — who had come to watch the trial — and he tried to wink at her, but he just ended up blinking. Haeun resisted the urge to roll her eyes lest anyone in the jury or spectators noticed, and instead she quietly sat down next to the defendant. 

While the prosecutor gave her closing comments, Haeun tried her hardest not to look up and catch Baekhyun’s eyes, but eventually she gave in, wanting to look at the eyes that could calm her down with one soft look when she woke up from her nightmares. 

Sure enough, his eyes were pinned to her, and there was a flash of desire that went through her as she inhaled a sharp breath. He was looking at her with a slight smug smile on her face, and all she could think about at that moment was the fact that his shoulders looked unfairly good in the navy blue button up shirt he was wearing. Haeun swore that there was absolutely no way that the top two buttons were open when he was sitting in the witness stand, but there he was, showing off his collarbones. Her eyes caught on his throat as he swallowed when their eyes met, and she quickly looked away, trying to focus on what the judge was saying. 

She pressed her nails into the palm of her hand, using the pain to distract her from the flush she was beginning to feel. 

Haeun was so absolutely fortunate that Baekhyun’s day to day life didn’t involve him wearing those button up shirts more often since he often complained about how constraining they could feel and about how they had popped a few buttons in a rush to get the shirt off of him one night after a work party he had accompanied her to.

She was about five seconds from just crawling under the desk and hiding just to get away from Baekhyun’s (now burning) gaze when the judge finally called for recess, and everyone stood up in tandem. People started chatting, and Haeun looked towards her client.

“I’ll be back in a few minutes, alright?” The man looked up at her with a guarded look before nodding. She felt bad that the man was beginning to lose all hope about staying out of jail, but there was still a chance that she hadn’t screwed up under the pressure of court and Baekhyun.

She walked out into the hallway, pointedly avoiding catching Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s eyes. Haeun walked across the hall, ducking into the first empty room that she found. She closed the door and leaned her back against it, letting her eyes flutter shut as she focused on her breathing. After a few seconds, she opened her eyes and let herself look around the room before leaning against the large desk. Her eyes scanned the desk, the chairs, the walls before she realized something with a snort — this was the room in which she had her explosive fight with Baekhyun.

It was such a long time ago, and they’d certainly come so far since. 

She pulled out her phone just to keep an eye on the time as she tried to calm her racing heart when she found a text from Baekhyun.

Where are youuuuuu?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter