IX. Locked In

Distant Torment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Important A/N - please read!

Honestly, Haeun didn’t know what came over her to ask Baekhyun if he wanted ramen out of all things. She grimaced as soon as the words stumbled out of , but what else was she supposed to say after her best friend came up with the plan to lock the two of them in the house and Baekhyun’s best friend was more than happy to comply. It seemed like the other two were in on the plan as well, and she was wishing she was on crutches for her ankle instead of just limping around.

They would’ve made great weapons to beat her friends up with.

Baekhyun’s expression to her question showed that he was just as confused as she was at the random outburst. He quickly composed himself though.

"Do...do you want some? You should rest your foot - I can make the ramen,” he rambled quickly, sending glances down at her foot. She shifted uncomfortably, her ankle throbbing. It hadn’t been this bad last night, but apparently stomping up a flight of stairs after a bad fight wasn’t exactly a good idea after twisting an ankle. But, she wasn’t going to show that. Besides, it was her house.

“No, you’re the guest. I should cook.”

“But you’re injured.”

“It’s my house.”

“You can’t stand that long.”

“It’s not a big deal.”

“You’re leaning on your left food, you’re clearly in pain.”

“Wow those detective classes really paid off.”

“There’s no such thing as detective classes.”

“Either way, I’m fi-” Haeun’s words were cut off as she let out a gasp. She had started to move past Baekhyun towards the kitchen, but she lost her balance as her ankle bent under the pressure. She started to fall sideways, and she could see herself hitting her head on the side of the counter. 

Haeun closed her eyes out of instinct and grabbed onto whatever was the closest thing to her. She couldn’t tell if she should be grateful or annoyed that she had grabbed Baekhyun's hand that was reaching towards her to save her. Haeun’s eyes flew open at the contact, and he pulled her towards him, so she stumbled into his embrace instead of hitting the ground. It was as if everything had paused for a moment while the two gathered their bearings. 

“Oh, I’m-” Hauen started as she pushed herself away from Baekhyun. It felt weird to be in his arms. There wasn’t anything...wrong with the feeling of being embraced by his warm, built arms, but she wasn’t exactly comfortable with the thought of his arms wrapped around her. Especially after what had happened last night. 

But it seemed like the universe was against her, because as soon as she stepped out of Baekhyun’s arms with the hopes of grabbing the counter to stabilize herself, she lost balance. 

Again. 

This time, she took Baekhyun down with her. 

He was still holding onto her waist, and when she stumbled backwards, the surprise and sudden lack of footing caused both of them to head towards the ground. Haeun watched as Baekhyun’s eyes widened in surprise, and she watched in amazement as he tightened one arm around her waist, and the other quickly reached out to the counter to grab onto something. He managed to stumble a few steps forward with her in his arms, but he saved them from falling. 

“Maybe I should cook…” Baekhyun murmured. He was close enough that she felt his breath on her face, and she didn’t trust herself to speak so she simply nodded.  Baekhyun helped Haeun up, and then kept an arm around her waist as he helped her over to the nearest chair. 

It was a barstool for the kitchen counter, and from where she was sitting, she’d get a full view of Baekhyun’s back as he cooked. Once she was settled in, she told Baekhyun where to get the ramen packets and the pot to cook. 

Haeun didn’t know why she expected Baekhyun to be a typical guy who lived alone and ate delivery majority of the time, but after watching him cook, it was obvious that he wasn’t. He set the ramen noodles boiling and set up a small station of where he was chopping up green onions. 

“Green onions?” Haeun asked. He turned to look at her and sent her a small smile. 

“Yeah, why? You don’t like them?”

Haeun shrugged. “I don’t mind them. If I didn’t like them, they wouldn’t be in my fridge,” she responded with a pointed look. “I just didn’t expect you to add them.”

“I’ve learned to make my ramen slightly healthier by adding whatever vegetables I have in my fridge. It’s better than eating just plain ramen with eggs or eating take-out all the time.”

“Take-out can be healthy,” Haeun defended. She had way too many menus sitting in a drawer off to Baekhyun’s left. She just hoped that he didn’t accidentally open that drawer. 

“Depends on what you get. With my schedule, by the time I get home the only places that are open are chicken places. I end up eating fried chicken more than I would like.”

“I suppose…” Haeun trailed off. It was fascinating to watch Baekhyun move around the kitchen with an ease that she wasn’t aware that he possessed. After a few minutes, it was like he was on auto-pilot and added extra spices and ingredients to the ramen as if he were an expert on ramen. 

Well, to be fair, he probably was.

She was actually really excited to have the chance to eat his ramen, until he did the one thing that honestly just baffled her.

“Why are you frying the egg?!”

“Huh? Why wouldn’t I?”

“You put the egg on top of the ramen. That’s the whole point of adding the ramen. It gets nice and soft that way!”

“But crispy fried eggs are way better.”

“You can mix the eggs into the ramen and get some in each bite.”

“Then just mix the eggs straight into the ramen, why bother waiting for the ramen to cook first?”

“You know you could just put an egg on top of my ramen, and then cook one separately for you?” Haeun pointed out. She was noticing more and more that it had become their “thing” to argue over the smallest issues. But...even so, there wasn’t any animosity between them. Not like last night.

Baekhyun snorted, but he complied anyways as he continued cooking his eggs in a pan and separated his ramen out of the pot. He rested the chopsticks on his bowl as he cracked two eggs on top of the ramen, and then placed the lid back on to let the eggs cook. Within minutes, he had set the two bowls of ramen on the kitchen counter, and he sat down next to her. Haeun smiled at him gratefully, and he smiled. His

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter