II. Black and Blue Revenge

Distant Torment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haeun slammed the car door shut and cursed loudly when her left foot touched the ground. She had forgotten about the pain until it ran through her leg, causing Jeonghan to wince and a group people around the two in the parking lot to look towards the girl with curious looks. Jeonghan sent them an apologetic smile and hurried after the girl, who, unfortunately, hadn’t made it very far as she limped her way alon.

“Haeun, we’re in a public area,” he hissed at the girl. She flipped her open hair over her back and glared at him. Then cursed when the hair simply flew back into her face thanks to the wind.

“Too bad. I do not have the mental willpower to deal with idiots in real life and the idiot that’s bonded to me till I meet the a**hole.” Haeun gripped the handle of her purse as she hissed in pain. Jeonghan glanced down at her left foot that was wrapped up in a protective black boot, and he reached out to hold Haeun’s wrist.

“You sure you don’t need crutches?” he carefully asked. Haeun sighed, suddenly feeling bad that she was venting all her anger to her best friend; he didn’t deserve her rage, but she didn’t have any other outlet.

“Yeah,” she replied as he let go of her wrist, “I’m good. It just hurts, and it’ll get better soon if he didn’t break his toe. If it’s just sprained, then I should be fine in a week. How does anyone even break their toe, anyways?!”

Jeonghan didn’t have a response to that.

Haeun turned 23 a month ago, and she had been dealing with her troublesome soulmate for 7 whole years now. Over the last painful 7 years, she’d had to suffer through a punch (or kick - she wasn’t sure at this point) to the gut, a black eye, a cornea scratch (that one hurt like a b*tch and how does one get a cornea scratched, anyways?), various broken bones, and the latest development - a broken or sprained toe (another one to add to the list of "I have no idea which is the correct option"). To be fair, she’d had her fair share of injuries as well (she once slammed a car door on her thumb), but injuries like that were few and far between. It wasn’t fair that she was the one suffering thanks to him while he ended up with a soulmate that wasn’t tripping and hurting themselves every two seconds.

Haeun had made up her mind; she was going to punch her soulmate when they meet for the first time, and she didn’t even care that she’d hurt her hand because at that point the bond would break when they see each other for the first time. She then proceeded to announce that to Jeonghan who simply laughed at her.

She’d gotten used to standing in the bathroom, under a warm shower, banging her head against the bathroom wall. She was always careful to make sure she’d feel the pain, but not enough that it would bruise - she learned that lesson the hard way. One day in highschool, it did bruise. Haeun walked around for a few days sporting a small, round blue bruise straight in the center of her forehead and had to explain to everyone what it was. She obviously blamed her soulmate, but her friends knew better and Jeonghan wouldn't let go of it for a month. At least she wasn’t the only one with painful soulmates - ever since everyone in her grade turned sixteen, she’d hear stories floating around the school hallways about their own soulmates.

Over the last 7 years, she also decided that she was going to go to law school with her best friend, Yoon Jeonghan.

He had been feeling his soulmate as well, except it was normal stuff - a toe stub here and there and a paper cut or two.

Once she realized that he wasn’t her soulmate, she quickly also realized that he was not meant for her. They were too alike to be compatible, and even though at the time she thought he fit all the requirements she was looking for, there was nothing new in her life - nothing fresh like she thought dating would bring to her life. Instead, they went about their days hanging out together and studying, and there was no room for any romance - not like she had any time for it anyways. She was always found buried with her face in several books or with her friends (and they often just spent their time together studying, anyways).

Once they had graduated from university, they both went to law school, and they were in their second year. Jeonghan wanted to become a prosecutor, and Haeun was happy wherever she'd end up.

She just had to make it through law school first. Hopefully alive.

The two friends made their way into the building - slowly - and got into the elevator to head up to the tenth floor where their friends would be meeting them for class. Haeun leaned against Jeonghan to take the weight off of her leg, and he simply moved an arm out of her way and moved it behind her so that she wasn't pressing up against his arm.

Once the elevator reached the floor, she moved herself away from him and continued to hobble along until she saw her two friends - Eunji and Dongwoo. At first she noticed that they looked at her with confusion since she had no cast or any indication on her foot that she'd been injured, but she then saw recognition in all of their faces about why she looked like she was about to murder someone.

"Soulmate?" Eunji asked.

"Soulmate," piped up Jeonghan.

Haeun simply let out a growl.

"You know, I would say Kai is rubbing off on you, but he's a cat so I don't know why the growling is happening instead of hissing," comment

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter