Side Story: Haeun's Harem

Distant Torment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haeun’s phone chimed with the latest text from someone she never thought she’d hear from again. She groaned out loud and twisted her hands in her hair, so tempted to pull out every last strand from her skull. Why were all the changes to her beautifully normal routine happening now?

Another text followed, from Baekhyun this time.

Chanyeol dared me to chug out of a keg. Come back soon to keep me from doing stupid things. Love you xoxo

Then Jeonghan.

I might leave soon so if you’re not back by then, good night. Stay safe. 

The only thing that had changed in the past week was that she had changed her shampoo and that had only been because she had been arguing with Baekhyun, out of all people, about hair care. Haeun could not stand how long he had been growing it out. Her grievances ranged from the fact that it would get in while she was sleeping (choking on a hairball was not how she wanted to kick the bucket) to the fact that he was shedding more than Kai in the shower. She had gotten in yesterday morning and screamed, thinking that the wad of hair was a very large spider. Baekhyun had rushed in and tried to distract her from how angry she was about the whole thing with a very long makeout session.

But still, hair ties existed for a reason. 

Baekhyun’s hair was only the tip of the iceberg. It had been two years since she had last talked to him, but Taehyung had suddenly resurfaced in her life with a newfound appreciation for art.

Hey, check out this Monet painting. Pretty cool, right?

She had nothing against being friends with her exes, but this was just weird. She didn’t even like art.

“Can we leave now? These fishnets are starting to itch, and no one has even seen how hot I look in them yet,” Eunji whined.

“Just a second,” Haeun said, rifling through her drawer. She was looking for a file that she had just remembered that would be helpful for her case. Unfortunately, it also happened to be Halloween night, and all of their friends were throwing a party.

“Who even works on Halloween? I took the day off. Dongwoo and I had the best time scaring small children in the park.”

“How delightful Ms. Jung,” a new voice entered the conversation.

Eunji squeaked, eyes going wide with the new presence in the room: Jang Wooyoung, dressed in a three piece suit looking as fine as the male species could get. The man walked over to the two of them as if he had come to fulfill a purpose.

“I mean that in the most wholesome way, sir,” Eunji added. “We gave them candy afterwards.”

Her phone beeped again with another message from Taehyung. So would you be open to checking out this exhibit? I heard there’s free pizza. 

There was a link attached to it, and it was the last straw. “Can’t he just leave me alone?”

Wooyoung stared down at her, staring at her costume, appreciatively. “Is that what you want, Haeun? To be left alone? I wonder why you are here, then. After hours on a holiday, dressed so provocatively.”

Haeun gulped, staring down at her apparel. She was wearing extremely tight leather shorts and a corset top with no sleeves. A pair of kitten ears and a whip that was attached to her hip were her only accessories. She had done a smokey eye and red lip for her makeup and curled her hair into soft waves. From an outsider’s perspective, this was a perfect formula for a misunderstanding.

“And I also brought a friend,” she laughed, nervously. “We’re all friends here, aren’t we?”

Eunji said nothing until Haeun elbowed her in the side. “Yes! Friends!”

Wooyoung said nothing, but he still pursed his lips and nodded. “Agreed. So I’m guessing you are Catwoman and Eunji is Poison Ivy. May I ask where Harley Quinn might be?”

“With the Joker,” Haeun sighed. “I knew everyone should have just done whatever. We didn’t need a theme.”

“Speak for yourself. Dongwoo being the Riddler is everything.”

“Baekhyun spent five months getting jacked enough to claim Batman. Do you know what I’ve been through, Eunji? I don’t even want to smell another protein shake again.”

“Baekhyun is the boyfriend, right?” Wooyoung said, smirking. 

“Yes,” Haeun sighed.

“I see,” Wooyoung said, backing up. Apparently the conversation was just too much for him. “Well, if you ever decide to ditch Batman, call me. Mr. Grey would like to see you.”

He turned his back to them and walked away, leaving them both in stunned silence.

“Did that just-”

“Shh, this is everything pre-Baekhyun Haeun dreamed of. Let me have this moment.”


Nothing was better than being curled up on the sofa with Baekhyun on one side and Kai on the other. They had chosen to binge watch the Fast and Furious series out of all things because Haeun had never seen it before and her boyfriend had declared that to be a crime. Having a cop for a boyfriend was sometimes a pain in that way due to the fact that real handcuffs were constantly being misused in their household.

“Feeling relaxed?” a smooth voice purred in her ear.

Haeun suddenly realized that Baekhyun was no longer there. Neither was Kai. “Who the hell are you?”

The man had a body chiseled by the gods. Tan skin, a perfectly symmetrical face paired with a solid looking eight pack had her feeling some type of way. She was not sure how he had gotten into her house or where Baekhyun had gone. Strangely, she didn’t care. She could only focus on the man that was invading her personal space.

“That hurts, Haeun,” said the man. “We’re not strangers. We eat together, talk to each other often, and the way you touch me sends tingles down my spine.”

“Excuse you, I have a boyfriend,” she said, panicking.

The man chuckled. “I know. I like him too.”

“Seriously, who are you?” Haeun said. She blinked hard, hoping that she was just dreaming, and when she opened her eyes Kai was back, in all his orange-haired glory.

“Oh tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter