III. Is this Real?

Distant Torment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wow,” Chanyeol breathed as he and Baekhyun walked over to Eunji and her boyfriend. Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he messed with his police uniform’s collar to straighten it out after his aunt nearly strangled him to death. 

His soulmate probably felt that even if it wasn’t going to bruise.

“Shush,” Baekhyun hissed, not wanting their friend to hear him. He felt bad for making fun of her for so long about not having a boyfriend only for her to show up at his graduation...with a boyfriend.

“Hey guys! Congrats,” Eunji said happily as she hugged the two before moving to stand next to her boyfriend. Baekhyun watched as her boyfriend shifted his weight from one foot to the other, somewhat looking uncomfortable, as if he didn’t fit there.

“This is Dongwoo - he’s also a lawyer-to-be.” Dongwoo suddenly looked alive and lifted a hand to wave them hello and smiled. He had a wide smile with bright white teeth. Baekhyun made a mental note to ask him which toothpaste he used. 

“Hey guys. Congrats. I’ve heard a lot about you two - the idiotic two friends that somehow turned into civil servants.”

“The same can be said about you, lawyer in training,” Chanyeol smirked. Dongwoo shrugged with a grin on his face.

“Touché.”

“As much as I’d like for you to get to know each other, we can’t stay long - we have an exam tomorrow that we need to finish studying for,” Eunji groaned. 

“The pain of a student,” Baekhyun laughed, but his eyes widened as he saw Eunji take a threatening step towards him. He quickly ducked behind Chanyeol and used him as a shield. 

“H-hey! I didn’t do anything wrong!” Chanyeol protested.

“I just healed from up from my foot, okay. I can’t have Eunji murder me immediately after graduation!” Baekhyun knew that Eunji would never harm him, but he could never be too sure after that one time she punched a guy in the nose in high school for calling her a nerd. 

No one messed with her after that.

“Even if she does, there’s two witnesses - one of which is now officially a police officer,” Chanyeol grunted as he pushed Baekhyun away. 

“Dongwoo can be my lawyer,” Eunji stated with a glare in her eyes. Baekhyun smiled sheepishly. 

“Hey, hey, hey, moving on from this topic,” Baekhyun started as an attempt to distract the girl, “I’m having a party at my place Friday night.” It wasn’t his idea to have the party, but now seemed to be the best time to mention it.

“What about your aunt?” Eunji asked. Distraction successful. “And I haven’t forgotten about the studying comment, Baek. I’m going to laugh every time you have to read your mounds of paperwork.”

Nevermind. 

“She’s going out of town, again, so I decided it’d be a good time to celebrate graduation,” Chanyeol spoke up. Eunji rolled her eyes. Even she knew that when it came to parties, Baekhyun’s house was no longer his.

“Is it okay if my friends come?” she asked, holding onto her boyfriend’s arm. 

“Sure! The more the merrier,” Chanyeol agreed for Baekhyun. Baekhyun just smiled at his friends. Finally, he was getting to live out his dream now that he was finally done with school. Baekhyun took out his phone to check the time.

“We should get back,” Baekhyun reminded Chanyeol. Chanyeol looked at him before nodding. The two said goodbye to the couple before walking away when Baekhyun felt the all too familiar lip bite sting.

“She’s at it again,” he stated to no one particularly as he rubbed his lower lip. Chanyeol just laughed. Baekhyun did too before the laugh turned into a groan as he felt a sting on his eyebrows repeatedly. Guess that’s why she was biting her lip. 

“Ow, ow, ow,” Baekhyun winced as he furiously rubbed his eyebrows. “What is with girls and torturing themselves I don’t understand.” 

“What’s going on?”

“She’s threading her eyebrows.”

“Yikes. My soulmate waxes her eyebrows. Not much better.”

“At least all the hair comes out at once with waxing. Threading takes forever and feels like my skin’s going to rip off.” Baekhyun hated the amount of work that went into taking care of the hair on one’s body. Constant waxing and threading was not something he needed, and he hated that he had to feel it instead. 

“Usually it’s just the stinging, but once there was a cut in the middle of my forehead for a day. That was weird to explain, especially sinceI dyed my hair and eyebrows blonde.” Chanyeol laughed; he clearly remembered that from their senior year of high school.

“Hey, I was talking about this with Eunji one day - we don’t feel their cramps, though. At least that’s something. Granted, Eunji nearly kicked me where the sun doesn’t shine because of that comment.”

“Dude, imagine if we had to deal with every internal pain as well as external. That’d be a real pain in the .”

“Literally.”

~~~

Haeun wiggled her toes happily in her open-toed heels with the thought of ‘wow I can move my toes’ as she leaned against the wall of her apartment building waiting for Jeonghan, Eunji, and Dongwoo to come pick her up for Eunji’s friends’ graduation party. She had never met them before, and she was already invited to a party. It was a little strange to be going since she was basically a stranger, but after the rough week of exams, Haeun was ready to let loose and party.

Haeun opened up her purse and pulled out her phone to check for any messages from Jeonghan she might’ve missed. He said they would come pick her up at 7, but it was already 7:10, and she was starting to regret wearing heels. Unfortunately, there was no message. They were probably just running late.

She sighed and consoled herself with the thought that she was wearing a white lace pleated dress, and she had to admit that she looked amazing in it with her black heels. As she played with the hem of her dress’ sleeve, a car pulled up in front of her and stopped. Haeun looked up to see Jeonghan waving at her, and then popped out Dongwoo’s face from behind, a hand on the steering wheel.  Eunji was sitting in the backseat, absorbed by something on her phone from what Haeun could see through the tinted windows of the car.

From what Ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter