XIV. A Familiar Face

Distant Torment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Why did he say yes? Immediately, he felt as though he was going to regret it, but there was a small voice inside his head that was telling them that if Haeun was going out on a date, he deserved to go out too. He used to go out a lot before he graduated from the academy. He would date, and he would flirt around a lot. He even had a one-night stand before.

What happened?

Another tiny voice inside him spoke up, and he wished it didn’t seem like there was a little angel and devil sitting on each of his shoulders.

You met Haeun. That's what happened.

Besides, he was an idiot for not telling her that they were soulmates, so it was his fault that she was going out with someone else. He sat back down in his chair, staring blankly at the coffee that was soaking up the tissues. He felt Chanyeol’s presence, and he chose to ignore it for a moment to clear his mind. Taking a deep breath, he opened his eyes and finished cleaning the coffee up and throwing away the tissues. Baekhyun decided he didn’t need more coffee, and he stood up to look at the murder board, as they called it. It was just a whiteboard that they would pull out to plot out the homicide in terms of the victim’s last 24 hours and all personnel that were related to the victim or crime along with evidence.

So far, all Chanyeol had on the whiteboard was Dohyun’s name, age, and information that had been provided by the family. Baekhyun picked up the marker and began adding the only piece of evidence that they had so far – the pictures of the wound. He also wrote down that death was caused by an overdose on heroin and fentanyl, and he wrote down that there was alcohol and weed found in his body. The man was high on everything.

“Wow, that’s kind of sad,” Baekhyun said, standing back away from the whiteboard to see the entire thing at once. The two men leaned against the desks. Baekhyun’s gun holster was digging into his , but Baekhyun couldn’t be bothered to move it slightly towards the right so it wasn’t between him and the desk.

“No leads. No evidence,” remarked Chanyeol. “Do you know if the others got anything from canvasing the neighbors?” Baekhyun shook his head.

“Maybe we should ask the captain to partner us with another set of detectives for this case. It’s been a while since the last two were transferred, and he never paired us up again.”

“You want me to ask?” he asked Baekhyun, sending him a side glance. Baekhyun shrugged. While Baekhyun looked up to Captain Kim Heechul, for some reason, Baekhyun always felt awkward and uncomfortable in the captain’s presence. He wasn’t sure if it was because when he was in the academy, he hadn’t done everything as perfectly as he should’ve (including that accidental drug bust), but that didn’t mean that he wasn’t one of the best performing detectives in the precinct. Plus, it’d been years since he had become a detective.

“Alright, I’ll go,” Chanyeol muttered, ruffling his hair, when Baekhyun didn’t respond. Baekhyun just continued staring at the whiteboard, thinking about why no one had thought to pick up the syringe with which Dohyun would’ve injected himself. It had to have been near him even if it was used to murder him. He supposed that the people working probably just figured they’d get the body to the morgue since the family ended up requesting an autopsy to see why he had died. He just hoped that no one had cleaned the scene since then. They had managed to rule it a homicide and close off the apartment from outside access early on, but they couldn’t take any chances.

Baekhyun was lost in thought about how they would need to look into financials thoroughly in the case that a drug dealer killed him because he wouldn’t pay up or maybe even a loan shark when Chanyeol came back.

“Two detectives from the drug unit are coming up now,” Chanyeol spoke. There was a strange look in his eyes, and Baekhyun squinted at him, wondering why exactly Chanyeol looked so happy. He ran through the detectives that were working in the drug unit in his mind when he realized exactly why Chanyeol looked happy.

“Wendy’s coming, isn’t she?” he laughed. Chanyeol grinned at Baekhyun, and Baekhyun just laughed again.

“You’re so excited to see her again.”

“Hey! She’s really cute,” he mumbled. Baekhyun quickly remembered that Chanyeol had mentioned that two detectives were coming.

“Who’s coming with her?” Chanyeol’s face darkened at that.

“Take a guess,” he replied, rolling his eyes. Baekhyun barked out a laugh at that, and from the low growl that came out from Chanyeol’s throat, Baekhyun knew that it was one of the two options in the unit that were good looking enough for that reaction.

“Jaehyun?” Baekhyun and Jaehyun had been good friends since they met in the academy, but he had gotten assigned to the drug unit. He was the reason that Baekhyun and Chanyeol had met Son Wendy and Cha Eunwoo.

“I wish I could say yes.”

“Eunwoo? Wow,” Baekhyun laughed, but quickly stopped at Chanyeol’s look. “Hey, cheer up, they’ll help us a lot. He’s not going to be flirting with her every chance he gets, unlike someone.”

“I wish I could punch you.”

“Now you know how you sound when you bother me about Haeun,” Baekhyun muttered as a reply, going back to his desk and sitting down. At this point, it probably would just be faster for the four of them to go out and talk to neighbors and witnesses while uniforms canvassed the park. Now, it was just a waiting game for the two to come up.

The longer that it took them to get this information, the harder it would be to find reliable witnesses and evidence. After 48 hours, witnesses’ memories would be more altered, and there were higher chances that evidence would be contaminated. That’s what frustrated Baekhyun the most – not being able to do anything. He wanted to be out there getting information.

Baekhyun had resorted to quite literally just twiddling his thumbs while he waited. Even Chanyeol had slumped into his chair and was on his phone.

“Did you text Haeun?” Chanyeol asked after ab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter