May 5th

Dear Diary

 

So, about the last entry. When we went outside, there was hundreds, wait. Did I say hundreds? No. There was thousands of people walking in the street.

Thousands.

Mothering thousands of people.

Looks like nobody’s going home anytime soon, huh? Oh yeah.

You know what that means? That’s right. Alice stays longer. And I even have a reason to talk to her. Okay. So, maybe it’s not the greatest kind of conversation ever, but hey. At least I’m not talking to her with lame pick-up lines and weather talk and . I mean, it’s a good thing to be able to have serious conversations about actuality and all that with the girl you like, no? It shows you’re not a douchebag. And that you’re informed. Those are good things, no?

Girls like that, right..?

Right???

Yeah. Of course they do. Who wants to be with someone you can’t even have a decent talk with?

Anyway, my Baby is proud to be part of the movement against police brutality. Also known as what the strike is about.

So I can’t be wrong by talking about it with her. Especially if we share the same point. And in case you wonder why she wasn’t part of the people walking the streets that night, it’s because her parents worry really easily. Well her mom does. From what I understood, her dad would basically be okay with her hitting a police officer and would pay for her caution should she be arrested for it. He’d also agree with her being on TV and cursing at the government, the police and authority in general. Here go all my hopes of her dad being a nice and easy person to get along with.

He sounds hella badass.

Anyway. We’re talking about the strike and I’m trying my best to look smart while making a mental note to read every newspaper from the last weeks as soon as possible when suddenly Peatry starts barking like he’s about to go ape on someone.

My mom and ChaCha ignored him and probably thought he was just throwing a fit or something, but I look down and yup. There he is, trying to sneak out from under the fence/door. You know those small doors that actually look just like a fence? Like, it goes up to your hips and it’s black and in metal just like a black fence? Yeah. That. We have that in front of the restaurant. And he’s trying to wiggle his way from under it to, most likely, go bite the leg of that douchebag officer looking at us like he’s waiting for a reason to hit us.

And, well… With the surprise of the strike, we didn’t have the time to put the leash on Peatry. So I’m just there, calling him back and trying to get him to stay, but Peatry decides that I don’t have any authority and ignores the hell out of me. He just keeps on wiggling out and before I know it, he’s out.

Luckily, mister officer is gone by then and Peatry is just chilling outside and waiting for us.

So I tell him to come back in, but nope. Mister just looks at me with his big puppy eyes and turns around the moment he smells someone coming near.

Sadly, it’s another officer.

I swear, there’s at least a hundred of them.

At least.

And when he sees the said officer, he starts growling and barking again.

And then Alice opens the fence/door a little and tells Peatry to come back. I swear, he came back so fast, it’s like he used teleportation.

And while this happened, something else caught the whole planet’s attention.

There was a girl around maybe 22-24 years-old arguing with the police. She was talking loud so we could all hear and she was just asking them why they were acting the way they did.

Now, let me explain the situation real quick.

You see, the strikers were walking peacefully and by peacefully I mean that they were just walking and singing/yelling their slogans and their ideas. Just like in every normal and calm walk for a strike.

They weren’t throwing stuff at shops or threatening people or beating others or starting fires or anything.

But when they reached the intersection near our restaurant, there was suddenly a line of policemen with their batons out and ready to beat the out of the strikers like they’d been doing for the past weeks. Some officers even had their pepper spray ready.

These officers said the walk had been declared illegal and asked the strikers to go back home now and stop the walk.

The strikers started obeying, and turned back to go home, but out of nowhere there were police officers at the other intersection too.

Later I learned that the policemen had done that for the whole ing street. Basically, they told everyone to go home and blocked the exits so no one could actually go home.

And then  they said that the strikers were resisting and proceeded to violent arrests, random beating of people and pepper spraying.

ChaCha randomly screaming “OH MY GOD HORSES” when the mounted police officers show up on their black horses…

Hum… So there’s this young woman talking, and she’s asking the policemen why they do that. She said they were just giving everyone reason by acting the way they did. She said it was ridiculous to use their power against the people they are supposed to protect. And then she said she wasn’t even part of the walk to begin with. She said she’d been out with friends and she was going home.

She asked how long they planned to have everyone live in terror of going out at night.

And then she actually begged them to let her through so she could go home.

The strikers all moved aside to let her through.

She never made it.

Three police officers grabbed her. One tried to choke her from behind with his baton, another tried to force her to the ground and the third one handcuffed her.

She started screaming for them to loosen the handcuffs.

Thiteya started screaming too. She made a move to jump over the fence, but Alice grabbed her arm before she could do it.

My Baby said that if they did something, we’d get in trouble and she didn’t want to cause us troubles and I was damn happy she said that.

No, I wouldn’t mind getting in trouble for standing up to those bastard officers. Heck, I had trouble holding back from attacking any policeman coming near us. But I’m happy Alice said that because I was so ing worried that she’d go out there. She’s so fragile and it’s so dangerous, you know?

What if something happened to her?

And then, it’s like all hell broke loose before my eyes.

Police started beating the out of people before tying their hands with those plastic tie-wraps and dragging them to buses used to carry criminals where they would later be brought to prison for the night.

It wasn’t so bad until two officers hit a woman right in front of us.

She obviously had no way to protect herself.

And they hit her.

Thrice.

Head, ribs, stomach.

And then they threw her to the ground before they tied her hands and dragged her to the bus.

They threatened to break someone’s camera if he didn’t leave now and erase everything he’d taken from the events.

And then it happened.

Alice started screaming.

She was yelling out every bad thing she knew the cops had done in the last weeks. She was screaming about a pregnant woman they’d hit, about a teenager they’d tried to run over at least three times but whom luckily escaped, about the abusive use of pepper spray, about how oh so strange it was that they always started beating and arresting people before they even gave the warning that the walk was declared illegal, about how it didn’t make sense to ask for the strikers to go home and then block the exits.

She started calling them all s and bastards and corrupted and ing and motherers and idiots and dickheads and a bunch of other stuff I hadn’t even heard before.

And two things crossed my mind at the time.

First, I was thankful that none of the cops heard her over the sound of the fighting.

Second, my Alice and Thiteya are more badass than I’ll ever be.

While she was catching her breath, my mom somehow calmed her down and asked her to stop before she got herself in trouble.

Alice laughed nervously before she apologized for acting that way.

And then a policeman that hadn’t done anything the whole time apart from walking around and trying his best to not be noticed by his colleagues since he wasn’t arresting anyone passed in front of us and I asked him if it was possible to let Alice and Thiteya through since they were friends whom had just come to visit us were stuck here and they would miss their last bus if they didn’t leave now.

He nodded right away and Alice tried to negotiate for a way to get us through as well, but the guy said that was something he couldn’t do.

My Baby started arguing, but I told her we’d be fine and she very reluctantly let the officer them out the big fight.

And she texted me the minute she was outside the subway to know how I was doing. Okay. How all of us were doing.

I told her we were fine, that the cops had arrested a lot more people after they’d left, but that it was getting calmer now.

And she asked me to tell her when I got home.

Now, imagine the scene.

There’s an epic fight for the people’s rights and there, right on the side, a man squeals and starts dancing with his dog from a simple text from the future mother of his children that goes:

 

“Okay. I know it’s gonna be weird, but can you tell me when you get home? I’m really worried for you and I won’t be able to sleep unless I know you’re okay :/ ”

 

Yup. That’s how I was.

Anyway. We got home around 45 minutes after she texted me, so I told her I was home. Honestly, I half expected her to be asleep by then. It was a little past 3AM.

But nope. I got an answer like 5 millisecond after my message was sent.

She said she was glad I was safe and she wished me a good night and sweet dreams.

And this, my friend is why I’m hella happy all that happened.

Oh yeah.

Feels good to rebel against authority man~