January 20th

Dear Diary

 

Hi. I’m about to ing murder someone.

I know. Worst greeting possible. Not my fault. I didn’t ask anyone to have the worst ing day ever. I asked no one to piss me off that much. No one. And someone still did.

Someone felt like it was her duty to annoy the out of me.

It started a few days ago. But it wasn’t that bad back then.

It was something like three days ago..? Yeah…

So here comes an awesome flashback to January 17th.

Basically, it was 9PM, the restaurant was empty, and my parents were going back home ‘cause they were tired. There was Junior there too, but he was cleaning in the kitchen while I was on my computer.

No, it’s not because I’m a lazy motherer. My parents had told me to stay at the restaurant because a new worker would come to have her formation. They said it was a girl and that she was one of my friends.

I had no idea who the they were talking about. I had no idea how much trouble this would be.

At first, I was helping Junior with the cleaning. And then we got a text from Daniel. He was inviting us to a party in a few days. Junior said he’d go and when I answered that I’d think about it, Daniel told me to go look at the event’s page on Facebook and look at the list of people invited.

So I went to the table where I’d left my laptop and looked.

And guess who he had invited? Oh yeah. Oh, god yes. It was my Jagiya. And her friend. Thiteya. But who cares. Alice was invited. All that matters.

So I said I’d go.

Then, I noticed the notification of a new message. So I clicked and I became the happiest man of all times. It was Alice.

She was saying that she was really sorry but that her friend was moving out soon and he was gonna be far from here. And then she apologised again and made a sad face.

I wasn’t sure if I should be happy or sad.

I was sad Peatry wouldn’t have a friend.

I was sad we didn’t have the dogs to talk about anymore.

I was happy because she’d sent me a message.

I was happy because whoever that guy friend she had and she seemed very close to was moving far away.

And just when I found what to answer her, I heard the door open.

Our new worker had finally come.

And it was Jenni.

I closed my computer really quickly and got up to say hi and make sure she was the new worker. For all I know, she could’ve been coming to eat. Yeah. Jenni tends to do that a lot. She comes in late with her friends or waiting for her friends and they leave around midnight.

And well.

She was really the new worker.

For unknown reasons, apart from the possible explanation that she’s a , she made me stay with her for more than an hour.

It was easy. All she had to do was be polite with the customers, note what they wanted to take, tell my parents, bring the customers their meal when it was ready. I told her we had a bell in the kitchen and my parents would press it everytime something was ready. Each table had a number and in case she forgot which table ordered what, she could always write the table’s number down when she took notes of the orders.

Easy .

She kept making me repeat. Which pissed me off to no end. I could’ve been talking, well messaging, Alice, but no. No, Miss Jenni here acts ing dumb and annoying and makes me explain for more than an hour.

She kept going on and on about happy she was to work with me because we could get closer and whatever else she was saying.

man, at one point, I took out my phone and sent Junior a text, basically begging him to come the out and help me.

He said he didn’t wanna have anything to do with that girl because she seemed like trouble in his opinion.

But that’s only the beginning of it all. The hell I lived today comes after.

You see, no you don’t but off, today Alice came to the restaurant. With Thiteya and another of their friends.

A girl, just saying.

And Jenni was working.

Now, here’s my parents’ reasoning:

Jay, since they’re regular customers and Jenni’s just starting, why don’t you let her take care of their table? They probably know she’s new, so she should stress less and they’ll be more understanding. And it’s good practice for her. And since the restaurant is full and you have more experience, you have to take care of most of the other tables.

And here’s my obviously sarcastic answer to my parents that know very well I’m in love with Alice:

Of course. That makes so much sense. Here I go, watching Alice from afar while Jenni talks to them and all.

And then my oh-so-nice-and-understanding father says:

Good. Now, go to work.

Jenni went to them right away and gave them a seat.

The only moment I actually talked to her was when I stole the glasses of water Jenni was supposed to bring them to do it myself.

I told her I’d gotten her message and not to worry or feel sorry, that I’d keep searching and to tell me if she ever found another one. And then my father saw me and the face he made forced me to leave it at that.

After that, I was busy with all the other tables around.

But dude. Being busy doesn’t mean I’m blind and I can’t see and Jenni’s allowed to treat them like they’re stupid.

They ordered BBQ.

. Just realised I don’t know how to write BBQ.

Barbeque?

Barbecue?

Barbecue looks better.

So they ordered that and pasta. Barbecue being a meal for two and pasta for one. They shared everything between the three of them and everything was fine.

Until the meat started to burn.

And by burn, I mean burn.

Jenni had decided to put the fire too high. Barbecue is a meal you heat at your table. We bring the meat and the thing to cook it, but customers cook it themselves. But we start it for them and come to check the meat every once in a while.

My parents said it’s like that in Korea. Which is why it’s called Korean BBQ on the menu.

So when I noticed the smell, I went over to lower the fire as quick as possible. Alice thanked me and Thiteya looked way too intensely at me when I lowered the fire.

Which is a good thing. She remembered how to lower it afterwards.

Because guess what?

Yup. ing also known as Jenni put it back to really high right after. But I didn’t know. And when I noticed, it was too late.

I came out and went to their table because people had finally left and I had some time. I asked if everything was fine.

Their friend looked at me, then at her glass and I noticed just then that Jenni had never in the past one hour and a half refilled their glasses with water.

Which is awful, disgusting, disappointing, low and many other things.

Alice nodded her head like nothing happened and it hurt. It hurt to know that she didn’t want us to feel bad for the bad service. It hurt because she probably didn’t want us to be too mad at Jenni since she was just starting. It hurt that she was lying for Jenni when Jenni was being the worst ing of all times to Alice for no ing reason.

And what hurt the most is that Alice can’t lie for and she just nodded her head to say everything was fine, but she wasn’t able to look at me.

Thiteya looked at me and said the fire was a bit too high, but apart from that everything was fine.

And then I looked at their meat.

It was practically black. Black all over. It was totally burned. But they still ate it. More like they forced themselves to eat it.

My mom came out and saw their glasses were empty and she told Jenni to get them some water.

Jenni is ing lucky my mom was the first one to tell her. ing lucky.

She acted all innocent, saying she’d forgotten and brought them some water. With the worst attitude possible.

I heard Thiteya tell their friend it usually wasn’t like that, and the friend answered that the pasta was good and that the rest would probably have been good too if it wasn’t for the fact that their waitress was a .

I winced.

And I felt bad.

And I groaned in frustration.

And I mentally killed Jenni.

I couldn’t even give them the free ice cream I always give them. The moment they were done, they got up to pay and they left.

The only good thing of the whole day happened then.

Alice was paying. I asked her if everything was okay and she said yes.

While she looked at the price because she obviously can’t lie for and didn’t dare look at my face.

I gave them a discount without telling them because of the awful night they probably spent and she paid.

Before they left Thiteya mentioned the party.

And then Alice was somehow able to make me happy even after all that. She asked if I was going because she’d seen my name in the invited people list and they didn’t know most of the people going and it’d be good if I could make it because at least they’d have me. And all along, she looked at me.

The party is tomorrow.

I told her I was going, and she smiled, still looking at me. Then, she wished me a good night and left after we all said bye to each other.

A couple of minutes later, the restaurant was empty. That’s when we all eat supper.

I grabbed Jenni and forced her to sit.

She looked at me innocently and asked what was wrong.

And then I laughed while I asked her if she thought I was stupid.

And in the end, I said it all. I told her, more like yelled at her, that the way she’d treated regular customers was awful and a disgrace, that she had no reason to treat them like that, that she was the worst waitress of all ing history and that she would now experience what it felt like to be treated like .

My mom came out and told her she had also noticed that Jenni had been acting up with Alice, Thiteya and their friend.

Junior glared at her and I knew he was pissed. He liked Thiteya and Alice. He talked to them more than I did and he always said they were chill.

He shook his head and walked out like he was the most pissed off guy ever and he slammed the door.

We left Jenni on her table and gave her over cooked rice, burnt meat and, of course, no water.

She had to eat everything. Because she ing deserved it and would have been disrespectful to my parents to not listen to them. And at least she was still respectful to her elders.

And we also cut in her salary.

And now I’ll go sleep to calm my pissed off self down and be okay for tomorrow’s party.