April 10th

Dear Diary

 

Hey. Let me introduce you to the most confusing day I’ve ever been given to live so far.

It actually started well. Like, Daniel texting me to tell me he’d drop by the restaurant tonight with friends, including my Alice.

And her so amazingly lovely best friend.

Sarcasm. Feel it.

But anyway. Alice was coming and I just couldn’t wait for “tonight”. Yup. Daniel didn’t tell me at what time they’d come.

So basically I ran to the door everytime someone came in, hoping it could be my Baby.

But nope. Not once.

This lasted around an hour. And then, she came in.

No, I’m not using the italic out of pure happiness.

It’s more like disgust and annoyance and whatever else you can put in there.

 

“Hi Jay! I missed you, how are you?”

 

Well, to tell you the truth, I don’t miss you at all. I mean, I saw you just yesterday and for your information, I was feeling great until a few seconds ago when you showed up.

Oh, Jenni.

The more I see you, the harder it gets to pretend there’s nothing wrong with you.

She was with Lily.

You remember when I told you Lily was someone really nice and a great friend? Well, here’s the catch.

Lily is awesome until you see her with Jenni.

For unknown reasons that I won’t ever understand, Lily seems to feel the need to impress Jenni by turning into some sort of a Jenni copy.

Honestly, that . It should be the opposite. Jenni should try to act more like Lily. And Lily should just stay the same.

But nope.

Girls are complicated like that. Sometimes I think you’re even lucky you don’t have to deal with all that .

But then again, girls have advantages…

Moving on.

So they both come in, and they tell me they’re waiting for someone else. So I put them at a table for four and just when I’m about to go, they wanna talk about life and stuff.

I stayed a little and then I tried getting up.

 

“Where are you going, Jay?”

 

Dear possessive and kind of creepy girls, I’m going the hell away from you.

 

“I gotta work. There’s the big table over there. Sorry.”

“Oh but Cha Cha’s already there. And I don’t think Annie and everyone minds you taking a break.”

 

Oh yeah. Jenni is definitely still the creepiest. Annie is the name of one of a girl sitting at the big table. She’s a regular customer and she hangs out with Sara and Lily and all of those.

She knows Alice too. Actually, they never came here together, but everytime they see each other, they’re all happy and stuff. So I’m guessing they’re friends.

But yeah. Cha Cha was already at Annie’s table and I had absolutely no reason to get away from Jenni and Lily.

I usually used the work excuse to get rid of someone. But that doesn’t really work when the said someone is at your workplace and clearly sees that you don’t really have much to do.

So I stayed with them and waited. The second Alice walked in, I was leaving this place and never coming back. I’d just have to ask Cha Cha to go to their table instead and I’d go to Annie’s.

Everything was perfect.

Man, I should’ve noticed it was too perfect. Something was bound to go wrong.

What you need to know is that when someone comes in the restaurant, they see tables in front of them, the door at the very end, leading to Peatry but nobody knows that, and the cash machine near the kitchen. But when you walk in, you see that if you go right, there’s a step and there’s two more tables over there.

Lily and Jenni had the table right there. You go up the step and bam. A table. Right there. That’s where they were sitting. And instead of both going to the very end of the table, they took the two first seats. Leaving whoever was joining them later to a fun game of “squeeze your body to fit between the chair and wall and get to your seat”. Or between the chair and the other table. Depends which side the person goes to. And I was sitting at their end of the table, so I was back facing whoever would come in.

Good luck seeing Alice like that.

Anyway. Where was I? Oh yeah. So, the door opened and Daniel came in, followed by, oh god yes, Alice.

Daniel comes in, looks around and sees me, I guess ‘cause he comes up beside me and says hi.

Then, he gives a strange look to Jenni and Lily and asks them why the table is so small when he told them other people would come too.

And then I understood.

Alice was gonna eat with them.

How the do I avoid Jenni’s table if Alice is at the same table?

But I thought it wouldn’t be so bad. I mean, Jenni can be really nice. The thing at New Year’s was probably just because she’d had a bad day or something.

So I turn around and I see Alice glancing at the table. Then, she makes a weird face and she starts walking to the other table. The one with Annie.

The weird face she made is the kind of “Oh god, not again” face.

I told her hi right when she started walking and…

She didn’t say anything. To be exact, she didn’t even look at me. Not even a nod, a wave, a glance, a hello. Nothing.

Thiteya told me hi and looked at me with the “I feel you bro” face. And I just wondered what the was going on.

Alice ignores me, and Thiteya shares my pain.

First off, Alice always tells me hi. Always. She’s someone really polite and respectful. Even when she feels like hell she tries to be nice. Dude, just think about the time Jenni burnt their food and Alice pretended like it was nothing just so I wouldn’t feel bad.

But she completely ignored me right then and almost ran to Annie to say hi and talk and laugh with her and almost everyone over there.

And now, Thiteya acts all nice and understanding. The is that?

You know, it hurt that she ignored me like that. I’m not stupid. I love her, but I know that maybe she doesn’t love me back. Just that hurts pretty bad, but it hurt a lot to realise that I waited all day for this and it means nothing at all to her. She could ignore me just like that while I’d kill to have her talk to me.

But well. I was supposed to be working, not crying over being ignored. So I told Lily and Jenni to get up so I could put the two tables together. Lily got up and Jenni acted like the little she can be and just stayed there.

I ended up lifting the table and putting it with the other one, looking around real quick to see if Alice had come back, and pulling Jenni’s chair so she would either fall to the ground or finally get the up.

Alice wasn’t back yet. And when she came back, I was pulling Jenni’s chair. Jenni chose the exact moment when Alice looked my way to get up.

Which means it looked like I was pulling the chair for my dear Jenni like a gentleman.

And Alice didn’t look happy. At all.

Yet another confusing thing. Wonderful. First, the cold attitude, and now she’s mad.

Don’t get me wrong. I love her and I’m not mad that she’s acting like that. I just wish I could understand what’s going on.

I mean, I have my idea about that, but I really don’t wanna give my own self fake hopes.

Okay. Let me share my thoughts with you.

Alice made a face when she looked at the table. When she looked at the table, there was Jenni, Lily and me.

Then, she looked mad when she saw me “acting nice” to Jenni.

Well… Why would she look so mad at everything concerning Jenni? I mean… Dude. There’s a good chance she likes me too…

Right..?

And that is exactly why I’d rather know what’s really going on. ‘Cause if I learn it’s only in my head, it’s gonna hurt. Real bad.

Anyway. So, Alice came back and then she smiled at me and said hi.

Here’s how you know you’re madly in love. Just when she smiled, I forgot just how weird it’d been for the last minutes. And when she talked, I forgot everyone around existed.

that. I almost forgot we were in the restaurant.

She said hi and that she hadn’t seen me when she came in. See, that’s another confusing thing.

Should I be happy or disappointed that she didn’t notice me?

I should be happy that maybe she didn’t ignore me in the end.

I should be disappointed that she didn’t notice me. ‘Cause everytime she’s around, I can barely see anyone else. I always end up looking at her.

But well. I acted like I wasn’t confused about anything and laughed a little and said hi and they all sat.

Well, more like Jenni sat at the chair the nearest to the step with Lily in front of her and happily blocked everyone’s way, then proceeded to looking around all innocent and going “Oh, I’m so sorry!” and then getting up slower than a grandma turtle and moving to the end of the table with Lily following like a little puppy.

Then I went to get the menus, brought them to everyone and I left until they were ready to order.

Everyone at Annie’s table left, Annie stopped to talk to Alice and Thiteya and left after a couple of minutes and I went to take their orders.

It had to be the most awkward group of people I’ve ever seen. I still don’t understand why Daniel invited people that obviously don't get along.

Lily and Jenni were talking together and trying desperately to be the loudest and get as much attention as possible, Daniel was talking to everyone as much as possible, Alice and Thiteya were talking to Sara who’d come in a few minutes earlier and was now sitting at their table and all three of them just tried their best to ignore and not laugh at Jenni’s annoying talking.

And Alice seemed to be having a lot of trouble at it. Kinda normal though. She was right beside Lily and Jenni kept looking at her like she wanted to burn holes in her head.

They all ordered, Jenni and Lily asked for alcohol. And I just couldn’t wait to see what idiotic things they’d do when they got drunk.

Seriously. They have no alcohol tolerance. And I really don’t wanna know how much worse they can get when they’re drunk and the evil master Jenni seems to have a lot of hatred for someone in the room.

But well. I took the orders, went to the kitchen to tell my parents and came back to bring the food when it was ready.

Right after I brought their food, I went to the table beside the kitchen to eat with Cha Cha and my parents since the restaurant was empty apart from their table.

And twenty minutes later, out of ing nowhere, Jenni comes and sits beside me and starts talking.

It went a little like this:

 

“Hi Jay! How are you?”

“Fine. Just like I told you when you came in.”

“Oh right. Hehe. Sorry. So, what are you doing?”

“Eating.”

“Are you okay? You look kinda mad.”

“I’m hungry and I’m eating. I’m not mad. Just eating.”

“Oh, sorry. I’ll let you eat.”

 

And then she made that oh-look-at-me-acting-all-cute smile and turned to my parents to talk.

I ignored her and she left after a few minutes.

With one of my side dishes.

Why? I don’t know. I don’t even wanna know. I heard her say I gave her the side dish and I honestly couldn’t be bothered what she said or did anymore. I bet she was drunk already.

And her attitude towards Alice just kept getting worse, which seriously pissed me off.

I finished eating, brought the dishes back and went to see if they were done eating.

Now, while I was cleaning my dishes, I got some water on the bottom of my shirt. And well, not to brag, but I have abs. And my shirt was white.

So, I let the douche in me come out and I tried to flash my abs to Alice.

Sike.

I was trying to dry my shirt by using the wet part as a fan and it just so happened that Alice saw my abs. I was absolutely not staring at her and waiting for her to look at me before I did that.

Come on.

Ahem.

So yeah.

She saw and I’m pretty sure she blushed. And then she asked what I was doing. I was gonna explain but Jenni said something extremely stupid.

 

“Oh yeah! Let’s do a topless photoshoot with Jay.”

 

It was so dumb, I didn’t even know what to say. Everyone else obviously felt the same because Jenni suddenly felt the urge to precise that she was just kidding. I finally explained what happened and left to clean their dishes.

I came back a few minutes later, when I was done to sit with them and try to talk to my Baby. I sat in the place right in front of her and asked Daniel if I could check his bag.

I thought he’d have a pack of cards or something and that we could play.

He didn’t. I found something even better.

Make-up.

Daniel has make-up in his bag.

I took it and asked him why the hell he had that. He turned and explained that it was for a girl. Practically everyone at the table (apart from dear drunk out of her mind Jenni) turned around to give him the you-better-explain-bro face. It turned out to be a girl Daniel has a crush on and he basically acts like he’s her dog.

I turned to Alice and she looked at me and oh my god she’s so perfect. And we both started laughing at Daniel for being friendzoned. And I asked if he also paid the make-up for her, but she gives him the money and he buys it since she doesn’t have the time. Alice asked how much it was.

Let me just say that the make-up thing is smaller than my palm and it’s just powder. Literally.

It was forty dollars. 40$. Forty ing dollars.

I automatically looked at Alice and we like understood each other just from that look. Honestly, it was like magic. Like there was just the both of us fooling around and having fun.

And then Jenni tried to in.

I got up and said I’d bring them ice cream.

I was preparing it in the kitchen when I heard noise and people walking. I looked out and saw my Baby and Thiteya waiting to pay.

And now, the most confusing thing of all:

 

“Oh, you’re leaving? But I was making ice cream…”

“Well, don’t bother making any for us.”

 

And this is what Alice told me.

This hurts. A lot. You know, I said it hurt when she ignored me, right? It’s nothing compared to cold words like that. Fifteen minutes ago, we were laughing together and I was the happiest man alive.

But nope. Something happened and she just forgot it all.

I told them how much it was, I still gave them the discount because I’m just that much of a pitiful loves truck soul and she left without even saying goodbye and Thiteya stayed behind to tell me bye and to say that I did nothing bad.

I went back to the table right after to bring the ice cream to the others and Thiteya went out and when she opened the door, we all heard Alice screaming this:

 

“-UCK WAS THA-”

 

And the door closed.

When I brought the ice cream, I heard Jenni say this.

 

“Daniel, ever since you met your new friends, you stopped hanging out with us! What’s so good about them, huh? They can’t even stay out late or their mommy’s gonna get worried!”

 

I dropped the ice cream and left.

Jenni is possibly the worst person I’ve been given to meet. And the worst is that I don’t even know what she did to Alice exactly. So I’m just here, wondering what the happened.

I came back out from the kitchen and told them I was tired and had to close.

At least Jenni didn’t try to argue with me.

‘Cause I really would’ve smashed her face somewhere.

Who the goes around talking on people like that for no reason? Who gave Jenni the right to make people feel like ?

And that was my day.

Cool, right?

I just hope it never happens again.

Okay no. I also hope Alice doesn’t stop coming here and I don’t think I’d be able to handle her never talking to me again because of Jenni.

So I’ll go try to forget the possibly worst day of my existence up to now and yeah.

Good night.

Not sure I should be worried or relieved that I talked as if you were human, but well. That just adds to the confusing wonderful day I just had.

 

 

_________

 

Hey everyone! Sorry, it was supposed to be updated yesterday, but Benoit got something last minute so I finished the update and put it up. I don't write as well as either of the authors, but Benoit told me to do it, so here it is. I hope it's not too bad :S

-Alice

 

AND THANK YOU ALL FOR READING THIS STORY <3