CHAPTER 6: HUNT

Z APOCALYPSE

 

 

✖️✖️✖️

 

~•Baekhyun•~

 

Waking up with the longest time of sleep, I exited the cabin. Luhan and Taehyung was no longer in their beds. I just slept of an hour or two and they were out of their bed.

 

 

I ran outside and with the worry that break inside me, I didn't see the man infront of me and I crashed with him. My samurai sword clang behind my back.

 

 

"Did you see Luhan and Taehyung? Where are they? I slept and I--"

 

 

 

"Shh.. Don't worry, they're just around. I think I saw the, just infront of the grand cabin." A man a bit taller than me spoke. It calmed me down as I glanced one more time to him before walking quickly towards there.

 

 

 

"How can we contribute here?" I heard Luhan asked to the man who was named Sehun. They were just standing in front of the grand house as if waiting for someone. Oh god I shouldn't be worrying too much now.

 

 

 

"Wait till we assign you. No need to be impatient." The Sehun guy spoken monotonously.

 

 

 

With my samurai clung into my back, I walked towards them.

 

 

I fixed my composure before I approach them.

 

 

"There's lots of birds chirping in this area, seems like there's lot of animals in the forest, might as well hunt some boars or deers." I butted in, looking around the people synchronizing in chores to develop the area.

 

 

 

"It's dangerous. Wait for orders to gather up volunteers for hunting. We haven't been hunting since a long time ago because of the incident that lead us to losing dozens of men." He spoke in a stern manner. His stoic face didn't even fazed. I'm bad at orders... since did I follow orders?

 

 

After hell dragged us to its lair, orders are already messed up. Why follow it now?

 

 

"I'll be back in an hour or two." I bid and averted my eyes on the wooden gate where there's three people guarding it. I didn't even got the permission or even a single response as I started turning away from them. 

 

 

Taehyung and Luhan didn't spoke another word though. They're the ones who know my stubborn nature.

 

 

 

"I'll just take a few walks outside these wooden walls, better check if there's damage." I announced to the three guards as soon as I was in front of them.

 

 

 

 

 

"You can't leave without permission." One guard stated truthfully.

 

 

 

 

By whose permission? Tss... That deaf mute male who live on the grand cabin?

 

 

 

 

I don't even listen to my parents before, why should I follow him?

 

 

 

 

 

"When did you last ate fresh uncanned meat?" I asked, hoping that they would get interested. Well, which they did.

 

 

 

"Long time ago." They spoke in unison. It's my turn to flash a small smile.

 

 

 

"Would you let me slip out, for you to eat boar meat this afternoon?" I bargained, earning the sparkles on their eyes.

 

 

 

 

"Then you should let me out for a small amount of time." I said as I slipped myself in between them. I unlocked the hooks and exited the huge wooden gate.

 

 

 

"No, please! We're going to get in trouble if you got killed out there just because—" 

 

 

 

 

"Relax, don't judge me just because I'm small." I smiled and moved away completely. Finally, behind the large wooden gate, I got the view of the green forest in front of my eyes, a small smirk playing on my lips.

 

 

 

"I'm deadly." I smirked as I played my samurai in my hands.

 

 

Let's get some meat.

 

 

 

 

I was walking around the forest and realized that there's probably lots of animals— and walkers here. I'm short so I could manipulate my weight and movement silently, tracking every possible deer steps, abbot or boar on the wet crunch of soil in the ground. Ages after the apocalypse thought me how to do these things and probably it made me a hobby on hunting animals for food. And it's better than vegetable canned good.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I heard groaning sounds not far and behind the bushes so I crouched on my knees immediately. After moving a couple of steps as I followed the foot prints of the animal, it lead me to a couple of walkers ravishing the flesh of a wild boar, lapping it to the guts and bones.

 

 

 

 

 

Right. These bastards.

 

 

 

 

"Yah, look here." I taunted, readying myself, holding my samurai sword in place.

 

 

 

Their bored, rotting ugly face turned towards me and I nearly cringed. I stepped forward as they did and when we met in the middle, their heads are no longer attached to their rotting bodies yet their heads are still in function as their white marbled eyes rolled and their mouth moved as if they are chewing something. Gross.

 

 

 

I wiped the blood soaked on my weapon in the corpses clothes and chose a big tree to spy on.

 

 

 

I climbed on top of a thick branchy tree and patiently waited for some movements, just hearing the chirping birds and seeing the butterflies that still fly around made me feel sick because it's a major insult in the dead hope of humans. It's like props that must be there, telling people that even if we're gone, they will still be going to survive. Ugh, whatever.

 

 

 

 

As I sat quietly observed while waiting for my victim, my lips tugged into a smile when I heard that grumpy noise of a boar behind a bush as I waited patiently for it to come out. My smile doubled when it popped out off of the bush, it wasn't a boar, it's a freaking native pig— a spotted fat pig. What a lucky day.

 

 

 

 

I wonder how he survived. I giggled silently as I watched it got closer to where my hiding area was.

 

 

 

The native pig was unaware of the death he had trapped himself on as he curiously neared the dead boar that was half eaten by the damned corpses.

 

 

 

I pulled my handgun in my  pocket as I pointed it at his head. And a gunshot was heard in the busy forest with a victorious smile in my lips.

 

 

 

Dinner.

 

 

 

However, I should have considered my way heading back to the sanctuary while pulling a large freshly hunt pig because it's damn heavy. The sun is setting and I just realized that I should be there six hours ago.

 

 

 

With a victorious grin plastered in my face, I knocked on the the gate and waited it to open, killing a few walkers heading on the sanctuary. When it opened, the people had finally set a sort of a camp fire in the middle.

 

 

"Baekhyun-hyung!!" Here comes Taehyung's worried voice, running towards me and—well, hugging me like I was gone for days.

 

 

"Don't leave us ever again!" He whined.

 

 

"You should help me here, instead of just hug me, you're adding weight in my tired body, Taehyung." I sighed but I hugged back. Luhan came looking what's behind me and smiled when he saw the pig that I brought.

 

 

 

The people there who was eating roasted and boiled vegetables around the fire just looked quizzically except for the three guards earlier that came to me to check on what I got.

 

 

 

Under the dimly lit surrounding, I can see the smile in their faces as they run and took some knives to cut the pig and clean it.

 

 

"I appreciate if someone clean this meat quickly." I announced and Chen and Suho came to retrieve the pig that is ready to be cleaned.

 

 

After an hour or so, the pig has been roasted and it smelled really great. I could just ravish it like a walker eating a fresh flesh. I can see their hunger and delight by just looking at it. The pig is enough to feed the entire survivors.

 

 

 

Are they being honest when they said that it's a long time ago that they ate a fresh animal meat?

 

 

 

"I heard that most of them are scared of going out, and they haven't used to killing walkers out there." Luhan spoke as he sat beside me.

 

 

 

"Does that make them weak and vulnerable?" Taehyung butted in, eyes trained on the tasty roasted pig.

 

 

 

"It does. They should learn how to fight or how to at least defend theirselves." I spoke as I clean my weapon with a ragged cloth.

 

 

 

"We don't fight. We save people." I averted my gaze behind me and saw new face that talked to me. He's a little bit bulky and his sun kissed skin glow under the aid of the fire in the middle.

 

 

 

 

"And who might you be?" I asked, not satisfied by someone interjecting in our personal conversations.

 

 

 

"Jongin. But you can call me Kai." The male introduced.

 

 

 

"Good to meet you. I'm Baekhyun. And umm, it's not nice to join personal conversations around, okay?" I retorted.

 

 

 

"Well there's no personal conversations in this area. You know what? You already wrecked two rules today, not surrendering your weapon and not following the guards." The Jongin guy exclaimed with his mocking smile.

 

 

 

 

"And adding the fact that you are disrespecting me with your sassiness right now." He spoke.

 

 

 

 

"Break one more rule tomorrow so that you could stay outside the walls overnight. Break another one after that and you will be vanished in the sanctuary." Kai winked.

 

 

 

 

 

So there's punishments, huh?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I would love to." I smirked as I patted his wide shoulder. Man, he's tall too. I stood up and took a large portion of sizzling piece of hind leg of the roasted pig. Blew it and tasted it.

 

 

 

It tasted heaven.

 

 

 

"You can get a piece now, right after these males get theirs." I announced as I pointed at Taehyung and Luhan.

 

 

While I'm eating, my eyes wandered on the second floor of the grand house and saw a silhouette of a tall man standing there, directly staring at us behind those thick curtains.

 

 

 

 

That's the nth time that I saw him observing in just that day.

 

 

 

 

 

"What's wrong with that tall guy living in the big cabin?" Asking Sehun who was leaning on a tree near the left wall.

 

 

 

"Nothing's wrong with him." He answered shortly.

 

 

 

"He acts strange." I murmured under my breath as I sat next to him. He was wearing a black pants, cowboy boots, checkered sleeves and a hat. 

 

 

 

"What do you supposed to act if your a friend died infront of you?" He stayed back, his eyes trained in the flame in the middle.

 

 

 

I found myself got quiet. It must have been hard.

 

 

 

 

"The day you were saved was the day she died. We were scavenging for food in the city too, mabel was chased by the roamers and was led coincidentally where the store you are in. He couldn't save her because she is already bitten and chose to save you instead. And when you're saved, he turned back but the whole building was eaten by fire already." W-What...

 

 

 

"Well, at least that's what he told me." He added, shrugging as he put his hands on his pants pockets.

 

 

 

I felt a sudden lump blocked my throat. Is she the girlfriend?

 

 

 

 

"Yeah, that's what had happened. So consider yourself lucky." He said as he stared beside me.

 

 

 

He would have save his partner if weren't for me....

 

 

 

"I didn't asked him to save me. It's his fault, not mine." I stated as I walked back to where Luhan and Taehyung eating in gluttony.

 

 

 

I can't afford another guilt in me as of now. If that's the case, I'm sorry. End of the topic.

 

✖️✖️✖️

 

 

A.  Rules

 

B. Walls

 

C. People