CHAPTER 25: MONSTER

Z APOCALYPSE

 

✖️✖️✖️

 

~*Baekhyun*~

 

I got awakened not only with the strange feeling of someone tightly keeping me in their chest but the eerie sound of the silence that welcomed my ears when I got conscious of the surrounding. Where's the groans and moans of the zombies?

 

 

 

I looked up to see Minho sleeping beside me and I could feel the heat radiating off of his skin.

 

 

 

Never imagined to have breakdowns in times like this but it already happened and I needed to get my sanity back. I've done so much and now is not the right time to feel like it again.

 

 

 

I wore my usual tight black jeans that I have been wearing since everything of this sickness happened. I wear also a shirt and my cardigan, my boots and finally my sword. I considered these as part of my body now.

 

 

 

 

"You're awake." I heard Luhan spoke in a low voice outside the cell. That's when I realized that the cell is locked.

 

 

 

"You locked me in here." I stated. And it's not a question.

 

 

 

"We locked him in there." Luhan pointed at Minho with the tip of his rifle.

 

 

 

 

"You know that Chanyeol or pretty much everyone else here would try to kill him if you're not beside him." He explained before slinging his riffle on his back and fishing the thick metal ring of keys in his belt and opened the cell.

 

 

 

 

"You would kill him too?" I asked obnoxiously as I felt my body light and clean once again, without the stench and stickiness of blood that covered me.

 

 

 

 

"Why shouldn't I?" Luhan responds, sighing and staring at Minho who was still sleeping.

 

 

 

 

"That's not gonna happen. He saved us. Can't you understand?" I firmly spoke angrily. He got quiet.

 

 

 

 

"Where are the others?" I asked as I looked around to see nothing but silence. Luhan looked down when I latched my eyes on him and I could see in his face something close to fear.

 

 

 

 

 

"Chanyeol made a deal with the other survivors. Some survivors are prisoners and outsiders. He proposed a deal to stay away from us or bad happens. They are on their mission to clear a cell block for the other survivors in exchange for the prison food stocks and infirmary supplies along with a bunch of weapons that belonged to them." Luhan stated as he gazes away in a dark space. His voice is off and I could see it in his face that he's not liking what's happening right now. He'd become tougher now. I remembered when he still couldn't kill a dead corpse before but look at him now, he had his riffle, bravery and experience to protect himself and the others already.

 

 

 

But shutting away survivors doesn't feel quite agreeable to me. How can Chanyeol be like this? We started from being merely just a survivor.

 

 

 

 

"He can't just do that. They are survivors. I understand that some are ex convicts but the others are not." I spoke back as I could feel anger creep unto me.

 

 

 

 

 

"Everyone of us are killers. Depends on how reasonable the act is." He exclaimed but I found him looking away from me. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes, I killed people. I have to, because if no one acted fast, we would be all dead. Or am I the only one who's thinking like that?

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I understand that we can't take any chances here, Baekhyun. But these people? We don't know them and we don't know how far they can do if everything goes bad." He reasoned out, his eyes catching mine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"What's happening here." I heard Chen spoke as he approached us.

 

 

 

 

"Nothing." I mumbled before checking up around the cell block just to realize that the dead corpses are no longer there. Only the blood stains that are visible.

 

 

 

 

 

"Where's the bodies?" I asked as I moved further more. I found out that there's a metal cabinet in the corner that is stocked good with plenty sacks of beans, rice, corns, canned goods, boxes of aid kits and a couple of guns and riffles.

 

 

 

 

 

I grabbed two micro desert eagle gun and put it on my gun belt.

 

 

 

 

 

"We put the zombies down and put it outside. The dead bodies that you-- we used the bodies to lure out the zombies that scattered in the field area..." Chen spoke in uncertainty.

 

 

 

 

 

"Mm." I nodded before trudging on the center of the cell only to see few others gathered around and circled in the fire to get warm. They dodged the looks I gave them and I could see terror in their eyes the second I blinked. Must've been because of my uncontrolled slaughter from before.

 

 

 

 

I saw Taehyung standing up and looking at me. I saw how his eyes glistened and how he behave like he doesn't seem to know what will he do but eitherway, he walked towards me and hugged me so tight as he cried himself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"H-Hyung..." He sobbed. I felt my heart clenched at his broken voice. I just held him and caressed his back.

 

 

 

 

 

"I--I'm scared..." He confessed as he crept even closer.

 

 

 

 

 

"Shh... You're safe.." I mumbled but he sobbed even more.

 

 

 

 

 

"I know. I'm just scared that you'll lose yourself and that you will do things that you wouldn't like in the end." He pulled away as he looked at me. His eyes b with tears and his shaking nonstop. What kinds of things?

 

 

 

 

 

Are they questioning my actions? The thing I did?

 

 

 

 

 

I held my breath for a second. I couldn't blame him. Or them. 

 

 

 

 

 

But he's wrong. They're wrong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Those people that I've killed? They are monsters. They kill people. They kill you. And I won't let that happen. Do you understand? I needed to do that, to save you. To save us all." I felt my breath caught in my lungs. Anger is lingering around me as I felt out casted. I did it for them.

 

 

 

 

 

Is it wrong to put them away from danger from putting off people who tried to kills us? For 's sake, get a grip people.

 

 

 

 

 

"We needed to kill to be able to survive. There are bad people out there. We can't let our guards down. They are just waiting for the right time to turn us down but we should fight for our lives because that's the only way to survive." I explained. The others also heard it but they just averted their eyes elsewhere.

 

 

 

 

 

"I wanted to think at it that w-way..." He nodded continuously as he search for my eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You should." I spoke as I reach for his forehead and kiss it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I gritted. I felt pity and anger surged unto me.

 

 

 

 

 

He don't deserve this kind of world.

 

 

 

 

 

We don't deserve to live like this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone else from the cellblock stayed silent and they are quick to pull away their glances when I looked at them. It's been that way and I know, I can feel that they are also afraid of me. There's no denying on their eyes that they are afraid of everything that's happening right now.

 

 

 

 

 

We have walls, but it doesn't mean we're safe.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"How's Sehun, Lay and Jungkook?"  I asked, remembering that they have been shot. Hoping someone would answer my question.

 

 

 

 

 

Now I'm the bad guy? I just saved their asses.

 

 

 

 

 

"They are stable. Fortunately we got some medical supplies and  Lay only got shot on his left thigh so he can be able to tend the two. Jungkook got shot on his shoulder while Sehun in the stomach. Sehun lost much blood but he's conscious now. They can make it." Chen spoken as he get some soup for Lay and the others.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"How about... Kyungsoo." I asked uncertainly as I found any discomfort in their faces. I surely did remember cutting his bitten hand.

 

 

 

 

"He does not show any signs of recovery yet... He lost too much blood too... I think he can't make it..." Tao mumbles as he stood up to give me a canned processed sausage with rice mixed inside it.

 

 

 

 

"Why'd you still haven't put him down?" I asked. It's dangerous to risk the lives of the people out here because of just one mistake.

 

 

 

 

 

"Because he might still be able to make it." Lay spoke being the licensed Doctor that he used to.

 

 

 

 

 

"You guys told me that he lost too much blood already. You can't risk this cellblock when he turns and begin---" I got cut off by Luhan. One of the people I thought who'd never disagree on me.

 

 

 

 

 

"You've killed so much people already. Don't you think it's enough for the day?" He interjected. His eyes on me as if he's telling me how a monster I had have been back there.

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone got silent. Even Taehyung looked away from me.

 

 

 

 

 

"I already cuffed him with his able hand. If he turn, he can't get out because I also locked the cell just in case." He muttered while looking at me with something closer to disappointment..

 

 

 

 

 

He walked closer while his eyes directed on the fire that they put up there in the middle. His face shows how bad he is feeling.

 

 

 

 

"You know... The girls that you killed? They used to be good people. They just got shoved in a hell of a place where they don't have any choice but to comply unspeakable things they needed to do to keep themselves saved and alive, and if I was in the position to turn the cards off the tables? I could just have locked them in a cell defenselessly than to slaughter them like animals with your---"

 

 

 

 

"Luhan, stop it right now." Tao cut his words off. He looked up on me one more time.

 

 

 

 

 

"Yeah. We should move on. They are dead anyways." He muttered with a hint of hurt before walking away from there.

 

 

 

 

 And for the first time of my life, I felt like I was the monster living among them.

 

 

✖️✖️✖️