CHAPTER 31: UNPREDICTABLE

Z APOCALYPSE

 

✖️✖️✖️

~+Luhan+~

 

 

 

The turn of events are quite good lately for us. Over the last few days, the drainage system on the prison has been cleaned thoroughly and there are already a potable source of drinking water although we still needed to make it flow for a couple of days to make sure it's safe so we still needed to distill it in the moment. Overall, it's quite better— almost normal, as if living like a real prisoner. But it's not a bad thing.

 

 

 

 

I've been doing my work pretty much responsibly as I tried not to let anyone take shifts as much as possible. Everyone is doing their works too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You've been busy lately hyung," Taehyung came close. I hadn't had a chance to speak because he hugged me almost immediately.

 

 

 

 

"So do you," I replied as I gave him a small smile. Honestly, I've never imagined myself having a sniper as my best friend aside from him and Baekhyun. It downed on me that this piece of creation could save me or the others in times of danger and so I'd never forget to bring it with me at all times.

 

 

 

"I hope I've been helping enough," he smiled with that usual square shaped cuteness in his lips. I ruffled his hair and smiled back at him.

 

 

 

"You've been doing a great job." I complimented.

 

 

 

"Thanks! And oh, I'll get going hyung, still need to send water to the others outside. You know, they're collecting woods. Talk to you soon, Luhan-hyung!" He grinned. He waved back and I did the same before we separated paths as I'm going up the watch tower that time.

 

 

 

I unconsciously smiled again, Taehyung seemed a bit happier today.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I walked over my spot to find Kyungsoo taking over and doing his shift.

 

 

 

"Soo, get some rest." I spoke as I sat on a metal bench that is fixed on the ground here in the watch tower.

 

 

 

"I'm fine." He mumbled briefly as he drank on his cup that seemed to be an already cold coffee.

 

 

 

 

We stayed like that in silence. I'm used to it anyway. And it's better that way.

 

 

 

 

I knew Kyungsoo is not a talker. I confirmed that having him with the first days of our job as watchers. He's a bit cold and untouchable but I know deep inside that he thinks a lot about our sakes and security.

 

 

 

"You're getting closer with Sehun," he mumbled after some time. The normal monotonous tone. I looked at him, and he gave me a small smile.

 

 

 

 

"He's a good friend." I answered as I averted my eyes at the tree that fell down where a couple of people cut a good amount of distance from the prison. 

 

 

 

 

 

And besides, I don't want to think about him right now. 

 

 

 

 

I could see pretty much everyone there. Chanyeol, Sehun, Kai and pretty much all the strong guys out there. There's Baekhyun, Tao and some others with weapons to secure the area. And there's Taehyung and some home keepers sending bottled water for the workers.

 

 

 

 

I could say that Kyungsoo has acknowledged my silence that I don't want to talk about that topic because he kept silent after a moment.

 

 

 

"You remember those women back then in the prison? They're my former group." He stated.

 

 

 

I looked up at him. Yeah, I remembered them. 

 

 

 

 

"Nevermind. It's a very long time ago. And we shouldn't talk about the past." He added immediately when I didn't respond quick. It's just that, they had already died. And that I don't want to encourage the topic because I feel bad that his old friends are the reason why he almost died and lost a hand.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"My father used to tell me that life is unpredictable, that we'll never know what's coming next." He mumbled. Looking on the group of people who are cutting trees outside the fences of the prison, he sipped on his coffee again.

 

 

 

 

I registered the word he had said. I knew that he is a general's son. So I guess being a son of a general is tough yet you learn a lot of things even in a hard way.

 

 

 

 

Life is unpredictable..

 

 

 

 

I suddenly thought of Sehun. I could still feel the butterflies in my stomach even though I tried not to. He'd been always there, telling me things, things that makes my heart go in haywire yet makes me scared at the same time.

 

 

 

 

Luhan, let me care for you...

 

 

 

 

These are one of the whispered words he had told me once. The words I tried my best to not answer with a yes. I guess I learned a lot of things from Baekhyun. He's the reason why I'm still here. He had taught me atleast how to protect my heart. I saw him feel the pain when he slipped with that words of his own. When Minho died. And I can't afford that agony right now. I just can't.

 

 

 

I can't attached myself from somebody I'm scared to lose.

 

 

 

"I could only say that we shouldn't ever be comfortable. Always be ready to change." These are his words again. He kind of pull me back to reality in a snap. That's what I kind of want and don't want from him. 

 

 

 

I liked how he tells these things because it always reminds me to be attentive and focused on our goal of surviving. Yet, at some point and some times, I can't feel like hearing these because it just kinds of the safe zone of my imagination that everything will always be alright. And the hard part from it is I know he was right.

 

 

 

I kept silent from then on. He used the rifle's scope and held the weapon ready to fire.

 

 

 

I also used my sniper's scope and see what he was looking and found out that a couple of zombies on the northern part are walking towards the area where the others are working.

 

 

 

I readied my sniper and shot six heads of the roamers before Kyungsoo even got a shot.

 

 

 

 

"Okay, you're the master." He chuckled as he set aside the rifle and drank on his cup. I smiled.

 

 

 

 

"Well I'm not as good as you in close range combats." I shrugged. I heard him chuckle. Yeah, he's the master of using double eagle guns or any guns that is close combat. I was about to get a box of bullets when something caught my attention.

 

 

 

I could see from the south, coming the back of the prison was walkers that is now coming towards the front. This shouldn't have been a problem as I got Kyungsoo and my sniper and starting shooting yet everytime we shoot two or three, new piles of zombies are coming in seven or eight in numbers emerging from the woods until I could see that they are now in hundreds.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo didn't wait for me to say anything cause he just walked away straight to warn the others.

 

 

 

I ran down the metallic stairs, almost tripping myself, they couldn't hold it off. There's a lot of them. They could be in danger.

 

 

 

 

My sweat began to drop on the cemented floor as I ran outside. Everyone that is inside the prison followed me and helped warning the others who's in danger outside.

 

 

 

 

"GET INSIDE! THERE ARE HOARDS OF WALKERS FROM THE BACK OF THE PRISON! GET INSIDE QUICK!" I shouted on top of my lungs. 

 

 

 

 

 

"GET THE INSIDE!" Kyungsoo cursed as he used his able hand to shoot the ones on the east side of the fence. 

 

 

 

 

"HERE! COME ON!" I felt my voice crack from my loud shouting to distract the walkers attempting to pass by and meeting the people infront of the prison.

 

 

 

 

 

Finally they heard us and I could see Baekhyun's pissed reaction.

 

 

 

 

"Everyone! Get inside the fence!" I heard Chanyeol as he picked up an axe and readied his gun.

 

 

 

The zombies are already meters away and what it scared me to happen is that when they would round up the front and stop my fellows from entering.

 

 

 

"FASTER! MOVE YOUR FEET AND GET INSIDE!" I heard Baekhyun shouted and instead of going inside the safe zone, he charged on the walkers to keep them distracted from going towards the only entrance gate of the prison as the others ran as fast as they can to go inside.

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol and other skilled men tried to hold them off but they are just so many that they have no choice but to back away.

 

 

 

 

I grabbed a metal pipe and attacked the zombies that I can reach from the inside of the fences that's already rounding the front fence towards the only gate.

 

 

 

 

"They can't make it!" I heard Kyungsoo hissed. Now I feel nervous. Kyungsoo don't react like this if he can see that there's a possibility of safety to all of them.

 

 

 

It almost made me lose myself when I saw how the zombies finally covered the front as they clawed in the metal fences trying to get inside. 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol has already closed the gate and I'm almost relieved.

 

 

 

 

"Hyung! Help!" This voice... C-Could it be..

 

 

 

 

I tried to find him. I almost pushed away the people blocking me from finding him. 

 

 

 

 

I couldn't find him.

 

 

 

 

"BAEKHYUN!!!" I shouted as I could already feel my heart pumping in my ears.

 

 

 

"WHAT?" He asked. He's still breathless and clueless. I could feel as if my blood had been out of my body. My legs wobbled as if my energy had been stolen from me.

 

 

 

 

I pointed on the far end, on the orher side of the zombies. My tears falling freely. Breathing ragged and hitched.

 

 

 

 

God, why?

 

 

 

 

"T-TAEHYUNG!!!" I almost fainted. I could see Taehyung sobbing as he tried to get near the gate but the zombies won't let him. And now some of them are on him.

 

 

 

 

They said, time slows down the moment you actually see someone you value too much fall in a grave danger. And that's what I felt that time.

 

 

 

"T-TAEHYUNG!!! RUN AWAY!!! OH GOD TAEHYUNG, I'M S-SORRY!" I cried as I finally gave out infront of Baekhyun's who's also equally shocked as me and the others.

 

 

 

 

 

"NOOO!!!" Baekhyun shouted. It stung my heart. In my blurred vision from the tears in my eyes, I saw him walked towards the gate but it was locked.

 

 

 

 

"CHANYEOL!! WHERE'S THE ING LOCK!! OPEN THIS GOD DAMN GATE!" He thrashed as he kicked the fence. The walkers still roamed the front fence yet a hoard of them also chased Taehyung away.

 

 

 

 

"There's too many of them! You can't make it! You can't even go outside because they're blocking the gate!" Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun's shoulder to stop him.

 

 

 

"ARGHH!!!" Baekhyun sobbed as he thrashed at Chanyeol pushing and punching him away. 

 

 

 

Our precious Taehyung... I cried and realised I'd been holding on Sehun as I cried while he whispered me soothing things that never worked.

 

 

 

 

 

In my blurred vision, something tells me to do something. I pulled away from Sehun and ran inside the prison as fast as I can.

 

 

 

 

 

Of all p-people...

 

 

 

 

Even in my blurred vision, I sprinted towards the guard tower. I quickly wiped the tears in my eyes and tried to calm myself.

 

 

 

I use the scope on my sniper and tried to find Taehyung.

 

 

 

 

There, I could see him moving away with struggle as he run away from the zombies that is chasing him. And also running away from the prison.

 

 

 

 

I breathed as I shoot a couple of zombies that is going towards him. I sobbed when I could see that he's holding his arm that is bleeding.

 

 

 

 

"Oh n-no, my Taehyung..." 

 

 

 

 

And then he got on the trees, zombies following behind him, with tears in his eyes, fear in his face as he disappeared in my sight.

 

 

 

 

He was alone, in the woods.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo's words rang on my ears, it was a flash back of what we're just talking a couple of minutes ago.

 

 

 

Life is unpredictable, that we'll never know what's coming next.

 

 

 

✖️✖️✖️

 

VOTE AND COMMENT.❤️