Chapter 10: Domestic Living

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

From the moment Nancy was introduced to the new Catering Chef, Son Seungwan a trigger went off in her mind it was as if deja vu happened. Something about Seungwan's face seemed familiar as if she saw her somewhere before but Nancy couldn't recall where. Maybe it was when she spent the afternoon with her girlfriends using her father's credit card to buy clothes at the downtown boutiques that she saw Seungwan.

 

"No that can't be it or I would have asked my girlfriends for their opinion on Seungwan by pointing to her," Nancy thought to herself still racking her brain trying to place where she saw Seungwan before.

 

It was 5:30am Monday morning and the catering staff was scheduled to arrive earlier than usual because of the increase in catering events now that there was a new chef on staff. Seungwan was placing the finishing touches on the mini vegetable quiches she assembled for a breakfast function. Nancy was assisting Hyebin in preparing fruit trays as well as gathering silverware and plates to take with.

 

It caught Nancy's attention that Seungwan wasn't wearing a ring on her left finger she knew it didn't mean that Seungwan was single but Nancy thought it wouldn't hurt asking.

 

"So Chef, I was wondering, you are from Canada right?" Nancy asked fidgeting a little as she spoke.

 

Seungwan said, "Yes, Toronto to be exact."

 

The timer on the oven went off and Seungwan walked over with oven mits on and took the second tray of mini quiches out and checked the temperature. She placed the tray on a speed rack with the other two trays.

 

"I am just curious why did you decide to move from Toronto to Seoul? I mean what a culture shock it must be for you! And I bet the cooking techniques you used in North America are more advanced than anything you will do in Korea!" Nancy said tilting her head with a questioning look in her eyes.

 

Seungwan paused and thought about how she should answer before she said, "I was born in South Korea but my parents moved my family to Canada when I was little. I also lived in the States for a short time, I don't know I guess I wanted to challenge myself and try to survive in a climate that is different than what I am use to."

 

Seungwan knew it came with the territory of being a new employee that the established staff members were curious about her situation and motivation for working there.

 

"You can tell me if I am asking a very personal question but did your move away from Toronto have something to do with special someone? You don't have to answer it if you don't want to," Nancy said with a smirk on her face.

 

Hyebin nudged Nancy in the ribs with her elbow and giving her a stern look letting her know that she found the question inappropriate.

 

Seungwan chuckled at the exchange but answered, "If you are asking if I am in relationship then yes I am and I love this person very much."

 

Seungwan shut abruptly from shock how easily her confession slipped from . She hasn't even told Joohyun that she loves her and verse versa.

 

Nancy her teeth and said, "Well then...." and started the task of brewing coffee and placing the mugs on her cart.

 

The trio were busy rushing around the kitchen gathering condiments and turning off the buzzer of the oven when the loading dock doors opened and Namjoon and Seungri appeared. They were sharing a joke but when Seungri's eyes landed on Seungwan his face went blank and he lowered his eyes at her as he made his way to his work table.

 

"Good morning Chef Seungwan! You are here early but that is to be expected considering Kompass was trying to no void to fill your position. So I will say I am thankful you are here with us," Namjoon said with a smile.

 

Seungwan smiled back and said, "I hope I won't disappoint you, Chef Namjoon."

 

With that Seungwan grabbed a cart to transport the food to the northeast wing of the building where the event was being held.

 

As Nancy, Hyebin, and Seungwan made their way out of the kitchen, Seungri approached Namjoon's work table and said in a stern tone, "Do you really think that having another female in charge will have a positive effect on this kitchen? C'mon Namjoon this kitchen has seen better days you know the days when all of the managers were men. Besides she is a foreigner she knows nothing about the way people think and conduct themselves in Korea. Mark my words I give her one year and she ends her employment with Kompass just wait and see."

 

Namjoon snickered and shook his hand before he replied, "There is one flaw in your way of thinking if Kompass fills the management positions with men only then wouldn't that mean your precious Miss Joohyun will be out of a job."

 

Namjoon looked over at Seungri with a pout on his face and Seungri rolled his eyes. "Of course she can stay I need some eye candy to look at and lately her outfits keep on getting better and better," Seungri said in a daze thinking of her.

 

"Even if she is engaged?" Namjoon asked trying not to upset Seungri.

 

"About that what do you think? Am I the only one around here who is suspicious? I mean men throw themselves at her all the time! She probably is hit on every day and all of a sudden she is wearing an engagement ring after starting a relationship in less than a month. I am not buying it something is up," Seungri said pointing his finger at Namjoon.

 

Namjoon held his hands up to surrender and replied, "Everyone has a life outside of work that they don't want their coworkers to know about. She seems happy and Boss Chaerin says there has been an improvement in her work ethic as a result. Seungri do me a flavor and just let it be and don't bother nosing around. You should be grateful that Joohyun didn't file a complaint against you for all of the nasty things you say about her. It is harassment you know? So move on find someone else to lust after and this time make sure it isn't a coworker."

 

Seungri's face turned red as it did everytime he held his anger in and he stomped back to his work table where he kept his head down for the rest of the day.

 

 

 

At 7am Joohyun and Seulgi walked through the dock doors deep in conversation about the different flavors of cakes that will be present at the cake tasting this weekend.

 

As they walked to the time clock, Seungwan looked up from her clipboard of assignments and said with a smile, "Good morning ladies!"

 

Joohyun blushed and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear while Seulgi said, "Good morning Chef Seungwan! How is everything so far? I know you can handle it with your culinary experience."

 

Seungwan blushed and said, "Thanks for the vote of confidence Miss Seulgi I will try my best to exceed and improve."

 

Seulgi smiled and said, "That is good to know."

 

As Seungnwan was speaking to Seulgi she couldn't take her eyes off of Joohyun who was wearing a kelly green summer dress paired with black heels and she let her hair fall down her back. Seungwan took a moment to catch her breath. She look exquisite compared to Seungwan who wore her hair in a low ponytail, black slacks, black shoes, and her white Chef coat from George's Restaurant with the Canadian  flag on the collar.

 

Joohyun walked up to Seungwan and straighten the collar of her coat.

 

"There your tag was sticking out," Joohyun said with a warm smile.

 

Even little gestures like that made Seungwan stand frozen in place. Out of the corner of her eye, Seungwan saw a flicker of jealously directed at her from Seungri.

 

Seulgi cleared and said, "We should let the Chefs continue what they are doing or else we will hear it from Boss Chaerin."

 

Joohyun said while still looking at Seungwan, "Yeah I will leave you to your work so I can start mine. Besides I don't want to be late for my date tonight."

 

She slowly slid her hand away from Seungwan's shoulder as she turned and made her way to her office.

 

Seungwan was broken from her trance when she heard a pan crash on the ground.

 

"Sorry I am real clumsy today," Seungri said in an arrogant tone.

 

Seungwan rolled her eyes and went back to her lunch menu.

 

The double doors flew open again and in walked Taehyung who was buttoning his chef coat on his way to the time clock.

 

"Running a little behind this morning, Taehyung!" Seungri shouted so everyone could hear.

 

"Don't worry about me Seungri you should be worried about yourself," Taehyung replied as he tried to calm himself before his temper got the best of him.

 

He made his way over to his work table and set his cutting board on the surface as Seungri got close to his ear and said, "Maybe if you spent less time making out with Joy than you wouldn't be running behind. And don't deny it you have a lipstick stain on your collar. Very classy," Seungri said as he covered his mouth from laughing too loudly.

 

Taehyung turned to Seungri and said, "Hey how are things going with Miss Joohyun? Did she agree to be your girlfriend yet? Oh wait a second that's right she is engaged to someone else haha! You don't stand a chance with the way she was all over her fiancee at the Halloween party that Seulgi and Jimin hosted well let's just say you are better off with that cashier girl you claimed to have with in the parking lot."

 

Seungri drew his fist up but put it down and said, "So Miss Joohyun bought her fiancee to the Halloween party? Why wasn't I invited? I work for Kompass too so now I know how everyone feels about me. Chef Namjoon I will be right back I need 10 minutes for a smoke break."

 

Namjoon waved his hand off in response. Seungwan heard the whole exchange between Seungri and Taehyung and she was gripping the edges of the table the entire time waiting for Taehyung to reveal her identity as Joohyun's fiancee.

 

Seungwan let out a long exhale as Taehyung approached her and said in her ear, "You can trust me Chef Seungwan I won't let anyone know that you and Miss Joohyun are a couple especially a piece of trash like Seungri. Your secret is safe with me."

 

Taehyung patted Seungwan on the back and walked back to his work station.

 

Nancy and Hyebin walked through the swinging door to the kitchen and approached Seungwan's work table and said, "Okay Chef, what should we do for the lunch preparation?"

 

Seungwan flipped to the next page on her clipboard and said, "Let's see start cutting cucumbers and tomatoes for the cobb salad. I have to look at my email in my office to double check if there were any additions made to the lunch order. Then I will start to assemble the turkey and cheese pinwheel sandwiches. Does that sound manageable?"

 

Nancy and Hyebin shook their heads yes in response and went to work.

 

Seungwan went to her office and shut the door and hit the on switch to her computer. As she was waiting for her computer to load it dawned on her about the policy with Kompass that forbid relationships in the work place. She would be transferred to another building to work away from Joohyun where she couldn't protect her from predators like Seungri.

 

Seungwan felt that Seungri could sense something was going on with her and Joohyun. He would connect the dots in no time, he may say disgusting things but Seungri was not dense. Seungwan decided right then and there that her and Joohyun should tone it down at work.

 

 

 

Joohyun and Seulgi lived a short distance from each other in the Myeongdong Neighborhood so they grew accustomed to new restaurants and shops closing and opening all of the time.

 

For the double dinner date they selected the Indian Cuisine restaurant called Jyoti, Seungwan wasn't a huge fan of curry for it's overpowering flavor but she was always looking to expand her taste palate. Both couples decided to order two entrees and they would split it because of the large serving size. Seulgi and Jimin chose the Chicken Tikka Masala while Joohyun and Seungwan chose the Malai Kofta.

 

Seulgi watched in amusement as Joohyun cut off a piece of the meatball and held her fork up and put the food in Seungwan's mouth.

 

"She does know how to feed herself, right Joohyun?" Seulgi asked and Jimin chuckled.

 

Joohyun and Seungwan blushed and directed their eyes to the floor.

 

"You don't have to be embarrassed, I was only teasing because I find it adorable I mean new love it's so sweet," Seulgi gushed.

 

"I felt miserable when I had to return to Seoul without my Wannie so now I want to pamper her so she never leaves," Joohyun said as she Seungwan's cheek.

 

"My Wannie? Pet names already yeah this is serious," Seulgi laughed.

 

Jimin poked Seulgi's arm and said, "Remember when we were like that?"

 

"Who says we aren't," Seulgi said and placed a kiss on his lips. Seungwan and Joohyun looked away with a little envy inside knowing that they had to wait until they made it back to the condo to share any type of affection for each other.

 

Just then their waiter approached the table and gave Joohyun a cocktail glass, "Excuse me madam this is from the older gentleman sitted at the bar."

 

Joohyun looked down at her drink and over at Seungwan who had a big smile on her face.

 

Joohyun was surveying the restaurant when she spotted the older man in a three piece business suit. He held up his glass to toast her and she showed him her left hand with the ring shining in the light. As soon as he saw that a look of disappointment spread across his face and he swiveled his chair back to the bar. Their whole table burst into laughter.

 

Jimin stood up from his seat and made his way to the cash register to pay the check.

 

Seulgi looked directly at Seungwan and said, "I feel I should inform you that because you and Joohyun are visually stunning women that you will attract a lot of unwanted attention from men. They will assume that you both are platonic friends and since friends of the same gender enjoy skinship they will take the opportunity to woo you. Believe me before I met Jimin if Joohyun and I were out anywhere you could count on hordes of men that followed us."

 

"They can chase me all they want to, there is only one person I am going home with," Joohyun said as she rested her head on Seungwan's shoulder.

 

Jimin was heading in the direction of the door and waved Seulgi, Joohyun, and Seungwan to follow. Both couples were walking hand in hand heading northeast on Sinchon-ro 20-gil, when they turned around to see what caused the commotion driving down the street.

 

Seulgi and Joohyun froze in place as they recognized the green LED underglow lights and tinted windows it was Seungri's car that drew near, Joohyun made Seungwan stand behind her out of sight. Seungwan held unto Joohyun's big overcoat as a gush of wind blew by as the car drew near and the driver's side window rolled down. Seungri stuck his head out looking around taking in the scene in front of him.

 

"What's this we have here? Miss Joohyun third wheeling on Seulgi and Jimin's date? You could have called me I will never say no to you. Besides where is this mysterious fiancee of yours? I knew it was a lie," Seungri said as he cocked his eyebrow.

 

"My fiance went to pay the bill we are just waiting outside," Joohyun said lightly squeezing Seungwan's arm to calm her down.

 

Seungwan wanted nothing more than to jump out and give Seungri a piece of her mind.

 

"Really? Wow and he makes a fine piece of like you wait in the cold for him some keeper," Seungri huffed.

 

Jimin stepped forward and shouted, "Don't talk to her like that she is taken show some respect!"

 

Seulgi pulled Jimin back and whispered, "Don't start."

 

"And who are you? Oh wait that's right one of those overpaid engineers who walks around our kitchen anytime he wants to just because he is marrying the HR boss! Please!" Seungri scoffed.

 

"So Joohyun my car is nice and toasty! What do you say I give you a ride back to your place. I am dying to see the inside of your bedroom!" Seungri laughed and put his foot on the gas pedal as the tires squealed down the street.

 

Seungwan came out from behind Joohyun to see tears in her eyes and she was shaking in fear.

 

Seungwan cupped Joohyun's face in her hands and placed a kiss on her forehead and said softly, "C'mon let's go home."

 

As soon as Seungwan opened the door to the condo she knew the Seungri ruined the mood of the evening with his filthy mouth.

 

Seungwan thought to herself, "Karma will come around and find him it always does with people like that."

 

But as she had to wait for that to happen she made her way to the bathroom to draw Joohyun a hot bath. She used the lavender & vanilla soap scrub and lit vanilla scented candles before she shut off the lights and found Joohyun staring into space.

 

"Hyunnie, your bath is ready," Seungwan said as she sat beside Joohyun and wrapped her arm around her shoulder.

 

Joohyun rested her head on Seungwan's chest and said, "I will only take a bath if you join me. I don't feel like being alone right now."

 

Seungwan placed her finger under Joohyun's chin to tilt her head up and said while staring into her eyes, "Anything you want my Baeby."

 

Seungwan close the gap with a slow soft kiss and they made their way to the bathroom where they melted into each other's bodies until it was time for bed.

 

 

 

 

Seungwan was in her office completing the inventory order when she heard a knock at the door. She rolled her chair over to answer it to find Boss Chaerin standing there.

 

Seungwan gulped and jumped out of her seat and squeaked, "Boss Chaerin it is a pleasant surprise to see you here! Is there anything I can help you with?"

 

CL entered the office and looked around before she said, "I want to gather the kitchen staff for a short impromptu meeting to discuss some improvements that will occur in the upcoming months. I hope now is not an inconvenient time for you?"

 

Seungwan shuttered, "No no not at all where is at?"

 

CL said "Follow me."

 

CL led Seungwan through the swinging doors to the cafeteria where the front of the house staff and the back of the house staff formed a circle.

 

"Okay now that everyone is in attendance I would like to introduce our new Catering Chef, Son Seungwan. You all met her when Chef Namjoon showed her around the kitchen but she has a very strong background in the culinary field. As most of you know she lived in Canada prior to moving to Korea. I am thrilled she decided to join our account with Kompass so please make her feel welcome," CL finished as she was clapping and everyone mimicked.

 

Seungwan stepped aside back into the circle she saw Joohyun standing aside of Seulgi but Seungri was right behind Joohyun raking his eyes over her body and biting his lips. Seungwan knew she had to let it fall to fate but day by day it was a struggle to keep her composure. She felt helpless when she witnessed how broken Joohyun was as a result of the harassment.

 

CL paced the floor with her hands behind her back and spoke loudly so everyone could hear, "I ordered new equipment to arrive in the next few business days that means new cutting boards, knives, milk pitchers, (CL looked at Hyojin and Hyojin blinked in confusion) etc. All of the equipment stays in the kitchen it does not leave the premise that means you do not take it with you to your apartment or house.(CL made eye contact with Seungri)

 

"What the...me? Whatever ," Seungri said under his breath.

 

"I hope I made myself clear beside there will be an automatic termination policy put into place okay so let's get back to work, " CL finished clapping her hands to emphasize to move quickly.

 

As Seungwan was walking through the swinging door she felt a light pinch on her .

 

She turned around to find Joohyun chuckling and said, "Joohyun stop what did we discuss last night about being too touchy at work. The wrong person might suspect something and report us."

 

Seungwan was looking at Seungri right now as he was thankfully talking to Namjoon.

 

"Sorry I can't help myself it is just too cute!" Joohyun said still chuckling.

 

From the cafeteria they heard Hyojin say, "If anyone thinks I am a thief well sorry to disappoint you but that was the other barista who no longer works here. So don't get it twisted."

 

Hyojin turned around and stormed toward the coffee kiosk.

 

CL stopped her conversation with Seulgi and shouted, "Wait was that directed at me! Who does she think she is talking to! I am the boss and I refuse to be shown any kind of disrespect. Furthermore what is her name again?"

 

CL turned to Seulgi and Seulgi told her. CL's heels clicked loudly on the tile floor as she asked Hoseok if she could borrow Hyojin to shout at her in the privacy of her own office.

 

As Hyojin followed CL out of the cafeteria, everyone stopped and stared as Hyojin held her head high as she walked and mumbled, "So what."

 

As the double doors closed, the kitchen was filled with hushed whispers and some snickering. It was anyone's guess if Hyojin would officially be let go this time because there was no way you would cross CL and come back to work.

 

Seungwan wasn't the least bit surprised because what kitchen didn't have drama included, she never thought a employee would be bold enough to talk back to the boss.

 

"Maybe Koreans aren't so conservative," Seungwan thought.

 

Seungwan was organizing the recipe book at her work table when Nancy appeared.

 

"Hey Nancy, need help with anything?" Seungwan asked.

 

"I was curious like what do Canadians like to do for fun?" Nancy asked.

 

Seungwan cocked her eyebrow and said, "Well we really aren't that different from anyone else I mean I did some I guess you could call them extreme sports this year with my best friend."

 

Joohyun left her office door open as she was typing away when she overheard Nancy speaking to Seungwan.

 

"Not while I am here," Joohyun said to herself as she got up from her desk and made her way to the doorway.

 

She could see Nancy standing less than an inch away from Seungwan and flicking her hair and laughing loudly. Joohyun shook her head as she felt embarrassed for Nancy trying her best to seduce Seungwan.

 

"Let me put this little girl out of her misery," Joohyun said under her breath.

 

Joohyun made her way to the work table right aside from Seungwan's table. She loudly cleared a few times but that didn't seem to work.

 

"Oh you went skydiving that is so fetch!" exclaimed Nancy.

 

"Fetch? Like the term used in Mean Girls?" Seungwan asked a little confused.

 

"Yes don't you just love that movie! One of my favs!" Nancy said jumping.

 

Joohyun laughed but continued to break up the discussion by using the large stack of papers she had with her and shuffled them loudly on the table in front of her.

 

"Oh my gosh! Miss Joohyun that is like the worst noise in the world!" Nancy said covering her ears.

 

Joohyun snickered thinking, "And your voice isn't."

 

As Seungwan and Nancy were looking at Joohyun she said, "Sorry for the interruption I was just passing through."

 

She grabbed the stack of papers but as she walked away she made sure to sway her hips left and right knowing that Seungwan would stare.

 

As she headed for the swinging door she heard Nancy say, "Chef Seungwan are you even listening to me?"

 

"Um sorry what were you saying?" Seungwan replied.

 

Joy was walking through the swinging door at the moment Joohyun was swaying her hips side to side and said, "Whoa! Gimme some fries with that shake shake booty!"

 

Joohyun lightly hit her arms as she walked through the door.

 

Over in the corner of the kitchen, Seungri witnessed the whole exchange between Seungwan, Joohyun, and Nancy.

 

He kept asking himself, "If Joohyun is engaged to be marry then why does it seem like she is possessive of this catering chef. What is so great about her anyway I mean she is cute but short and too bold for my taste. There is something going on with the two of them and I will find out. C'mon look at me no one turns me down. And where was her fiancee last night? I thought she would love to rub it in my face even run into the restaurant and bring him outside to show him off. This isn't right and Joohyun is hiding something."

 

So Seungri made a promise to himself that he would blend into the kitchen staff like the rest while waiting for Joohyun to make one mistake.

 

 

 

On the weekends off of work sometimes Joohyun and Seungwan would lounge around the condo whether watching a K-drama or cuddling in bed.

 

One Saturday Seungwan planned a trip to Haneul Park where they rented bicycles. Seungwan packed a lunch and Joohyun laid out a blanket as they stared out into the lake while eating peaches.

 

"Seungwan it is kinda chilly I mean it is the middle of November," Joohyun said shivering.

 

"Yeah I know I wanted to spend our weekend off outside of the condo," Seungwan said taking another bite of the peach.

 

"We shouldn't have to feel like we have to hide who we are," Seungwan said taking Joohyun's hand and giving it a light squeeze.

 

"I don't want us to be like that either but it is hard not to kiss you every second," Joohyun said as she placed a kiss on Seungwan's cheek.

 

 Seungwan blushed and looked down as she said, "I wanted to bring you out here to tell you that even though we have only known each other for a short period of time and live together too."

 

Seungwan stopped to catch her breath and turned her head up to face Joohyun.

 

"Joohyun I have never had a relationship like this before I mean I left Toronto to be with you and I don't regret it. What I am trying to say is....I love you."

 

A warm smile spread across Joohyun's face and she leaned in to place a soft kiss on Seungwan's lips as they separated she whispered, "I love you too."

 

Seungwan smiled and pulled Joohyun into a tight hug and said, "C'mon let's get out of here it is freezing."

 

Joohyun grabbed the blanket and shook off the grass, they returned the bikes to the terminal and made their way to Joohyun's car.

 

 

When they arrived at the condo they took a hot shower together and ate leftovers while browsing through Netflix. In the middle of the rom com that Joohyun picked, Seungwan glanced over at Joohyun and thought she could stay like this for the rest of her life.