Chapter 23: Out of the Past, Part 1

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

 

Joohyun ruffled her hair as she leaned back into her office chair. She glanced at the digital clock on her desk that read 8:33pm. She knew the suspension put her behind in her paperwork but she didn't expect to find herself stuck at her desk for the entire workday. 

 

"Seungwan is probably asleep by now," she mused to herself as she logged off the Kompass Corporate account and shuffled the papers into her briefcase. She jumped when a little knock was heard on her office door and wheeled her chair over to open it.

 

Seulgi stood in the doorway with her arms crossed and a smile on her face. 

 

"I had a feeling you would still be here but c'mon let's pack it up and call it a day," Seulgi said as she had her coat on and bag slung over her shoulder. "I'll walk you to your car."

 

Joohyun gave her best friend a bright smile and said, "Seulgi, you didn't have to wait for me but thank you for doing that."

 

Seulgi shrugged her shoulders, "What are best friends for if I don't have your back?"

 

Joohyun stood up and put her coat on and picked her briefcase off the floor and clicked off her desk lamp.

 

As they exited the office, the eerie silence and darkness of a deserted kitchen sent chills through both friends. 

 

Joohyun was turning the key to lock her office as she remarked, "We really are the last employees here, that is weird."

 

Seulgi chuckled and said, "I assume everyone was in a rush to leave today to avoid being interrogated by Boss Chaerin."

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes, "Don't remind me, she questioned me just like you said but it felt like she was trying to coax me into admitting to blackmailing her! How ridiculous! Why would I return to work if I did such a thing?"

 

Seulgi shrugged her shoulders, "Joohyun don't take it personal you know how it is, once Boss Chaerin has an idea in her head there is no convincing her otherwise. If it makes you feel better Hoseok informed me that she went all in on Hyojin."

 

Joohyun snickered, "Poor girl her work ethic isn't the greatest but Boss Chaerin should cut her some slack. I read her file and her family is messed up."

 

The best friends started walking to the dock doors and down the ramp. Seulgi walked in front of Joohyun but stopped in her tracks which almost caused Joohyun to bump into her.

 

"Joohyun, I forgot to ask how is Seungwan feeling?," Seulgi asked and continued to walk ahead.

 

A smile appeared on Joohyun's face whenever she thought of her fiancee. "Well her fever has passed but she still has a slight cough and she still experiences fatigue. I called her earlier and I could have swore she was outside which I told her not to."

 

Seulgi laughed, "You really are a mother!" Joohyun playfully punched her arm. "Yah! Is that your way of calling me old?"

 

Seulgi held her hands up to block any oncoming shots, "I didn't mean it to insult you but I think it is cute you look out for her like that. And I was wondering have you and Seungwan discussed having children?"

 

Joohyun paused as they stood in front of her car, "We will discuss that when the time is right I mean we still have a wedding to plan."

 

Seulgi shook her head, "Yeah I know what you are talking about and man is it stressful. It maybe another year or two before Jimin and I start a family. I want to make sure our finances are taken care of first."

 

"You were the one who picked the luxurious honeymoon in Australia," Joohyun teased. Seulgi grinned as she kicked the loose gravel at her feet and murmured, "You have no idea."

 

Joohyun unlocked the back door and placed her briefcase in the backseat. She rounded the car to the driver's side and was about to bid Seulgi goodbye before she was interrupted by her friend clearing .

 

"Hey Joohyun I forgot to tell you as you wouldn't believe who I ran into downtown....Choon-Hee," Seulgi said as she observed her friend's wide eyes and how her voice was caught in . "She is still working at the jewelry store her parents own and she asked how you were doing so all I said was you were doing great and engaged to marry."

 

Joohyun cleared her dry throat and her lips, "What was her response?" As an image of her ex-girlfriend of eight months filled her thoughts.

 

"I have to be honest with you her smile disappeared quickly after I mentioned your engagement, like you were suppose to be sad and lonely without her," Seulgi scoffed. "Isn't that something, right? Like you can't move on with your life without her! Self-centered much!"

 

Seulgi let out a low laugh worried if it was inappropriate to joke but Joohyun joined her but her eyes appeared lost. Seulgi placed her hands on her shoulders and said lightly, "Sorry if I brought it up because she is ancient history and you have Seungwan who is a strong, reliable, lovable, and a considerate partner. Everything Choon-hee wasn't and never will be."

 

Joohyun snapped out of her trance and said, "You are completely correct about Seungwan, Seulgi but also thank you for letting me know that she is still around." She hugged Seulgi goodbye and both women drove off into the night.

 

 

Seungwan caught the 2:30pm bus to the downtown marketplace for some food shopping. While she was sick, her and Joohyun barricaded themselves in the apartment and the stockpile of food was running low. She would probably receive a stern lecture from her fiancee for leaving the condo but maybe she might go easy if there was a home cooked meal waiting,

 

"Besides it is a necessity to stock up on food in case there is another snowfall approaching," Seungwan said in her head trying to validate going against Joohyun's orders. "Anyway this will be a quick trip as I want to catch some hours of sleep before she arrives home." She coughed into her hand and drew the throat spray out of her coat pocket and released two spritz into .

 

She cleared and browsed the marketplace to select ramen noodle soup with Kimchi, flank steak, bananas, milk tea, and 5 ounce chicken s. She wanted to stay longer but the temperature dropped even lower and she wanted to make the 3:30pm bus. As she broaded the bus, a drowsy feeling set in from the medication she took in the morning. "No I must stay awake so I can make dinner for Joohyun," Seungwan thought as she fidget in her seat. 

 

Forty-five minutes later, Seungwan was standing in front of her apartment with her reusable shopping bags in hand. The doorman, Kyong opened the glass door when he saw Seungwan approaching with her hands filled with bags. "Hello Miss Seungwan! It is pretty chilly out for a day of shopping!"

 

Seungwan returned the smile and replied, "Thank you Kyong! I was feeling under the weather for the past few days and I had no choice but to replace all of the food I ate."

 

Kyong chuckled, "Miss Seungwan you don't have to explain yourself I was only teasing but it is odd to see you at this hour. But not feeling well explains and I hope you feel better."

 

Seungwan pressed the button on the elevator and wished the doorman a nice afternoon before she boarded the elevator. She leaned her head on the wall and exhaled a deep breath as she blinked a couple of times in an attempt to stay awake. "I better make this quick as Joohyun will arrive home soon."

 

She turned the key and flung the door open and rushed to the kitchen. She searched the bottom cabinet until she found a four quart pot and filled it halfway with water and plopped on the sofa as she waited for the water to boil. Her phone buzzed with a new message, "I have so much work to do so I wouldn't be home for a couple of hours. Get plenty of rest. Love you😘!"

 

Seungwan blushed reading the message but she was interrupted by the water in the pot boiling over. "Oh !," yelled Seungwan as she jumped off the sofa and opened the drawer to grab oven mits to take the pot away from the flame. Once the water settled she placed the pot back on the burner and turned the heat down. She decided to cook the ramen noodles with Kimchi as it was an easy and quick meal. Her head started to pound and her vision blurred so she opened the medicine cabinet and swallowed more flu pills.

 

The soup was done in minutes and Seungwan covered the pot with a lid as she made her way to the bathroom for a short shower and a change of clothes. When she exited the bathroom while drying her hair she contemplated what her job would be like at Seoul National University Hospital. "I will discuss it with Joohyun first," she murmured before she turned in for the night.

 

 

 

The door slammed hard at Hani's apartment and Hyojin appeared in a rage, "THAT ! WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS! ACCUSING ME OF BLACKMAIL WITH HER PLASTIC FACE! GO GET YOUR FACE TIGHTEN AS YOUR WRINKLES ARE SHOWING!"

 

She threw her handbag across the room at the same time two figures were on the sofa watching in shock from this outburst. Hani's conquest of the week grabbed her shirt and ran out of the apartment in her bra and pants. LE stepped aside as the panic woman almost barreled into her.

 

Hani peeked over the sofa cushions and snickered before she said, "I take it work was horrible."

 

LE sighed and dropped herself on the kitchen stool, "I should've known better that I only would become public enemy number one, once I returned to the airport."

 

Hani eyed her roommate from head to toe, "Look you have bills to pay and the airport is a steady job until you get back on your feet. I have faith that you will ace the second round of auditions but until then just stick it out. Whoever it is who pissed you off just ignore them."

 

Hyojin snorted and clasped her hands, "It isn't that easy as it is the boss who doesn't like me." (Hani whispered, "Damn," and shook her head from side to side in disapproval.) 

 

"That but what were you saying about someone being blackmailed?," Hani asked with a cocked eyebrow.

 

Hyojin swallowed the lump in and started, "So apparently my boss received a threatening text with I guess incriminating photos attached so she spent the workday questioning the employees she suspected and of course I was on that list! The other employees were recently suspended and I guess in since I quit I must have fit the criteria."

 

Hani smirked and said, "Well Hyojin I hate to tell you but you were suspended not that long ago for having some words with this boss you hate so much. And who knows maybe she was harsher on your coworker you know the one that you told me punched someone? By the way that woman is my hero!"

 

Hyojin smiled and she released a light laugh, "I wish I was there to see it as that ert had it coming. But to answer your question unfortunately that coworker is still serving her suspension so all of my boss's attention is on me."

 

Hani stood up from the sofa and buttoned her collar shirt but flashed LE her aqua blue bra. LE acted like she was blinded and groaned from the sight. "One of these days you will come around," Hani joked as she put her feet into her slippers as she made her way to the bathroom.

 

Hani left the door open as she splashed water on her face and she stood in the doorway wiping her face with a towel. LE concluded it was the proper time to change the subject. "So who was that? Who left the apartment half ?," LE leaned back on her elbows on the countertop eyeing her roommate suspiciously.

 

Hani chuckled and threw the towel in the bathroom, "I forget I mean I met her today at the video shoot and she kept flirting with me and one thing led to another and we ended up on the sofa before you stormed in like a crazy lady."

 

LE squinted before she said, "Whatever ! Just take it to your bedroom next time as I sit on the sofa too so don't contaminate it with one of your flavors of the week."

 

Hani held up her arms in surrender, "Excuse me but whose name is on the lease. (LE clenched shut.) "Just like I thought so if you are uncomfortable then I am sorry to say you are more than welcome to find somewhere else to stay."

 

Hyojin left the stool as she went to the refrigerator to find something to eat. "I was only joking Hani but seriously you should be more careful about bringing strangers home. You don't know what could have happened."

 

Hani came up behind Hyojin and wrapped her in a backhug, "Alright Mom, I promise to be more careful in the future." She nuzzled her nose on her roommate's shoulder but Hyojin pushed her away. "Gross get off of me! I don't know where those lips have been!" Hyojin wiped her shoulder as Hani blew her a kiss.

 

Hyojin's phone beeped with a missed voicemail notification. She stepped into the next room to listen and shrieked when the woman informed her to come down to the JYP building tomorrow at 9am for the second round of auditions.

 

Hani burst into the bedroom and witnessed Hyojin jumping up and down. "Cut that out we have neighbors below us!," Hani scolded but broke into a smile as she saw how excited her friend was. 

 

"That was Korea's Got Talent, wasn't it?," Hani asked but she already knew the answer. Hyojin clenched her phone in both hands and replied, "We are celebrating tonight but first I have to call them back to confirm my audition but order whatever you want for delivery and I am paying."

 

Hani dashed out the room and murmured, "You don't have to tell me twice." She was scanning the takeout menus taped to the refrigerator door before she selected a Thai place. She was rattling off a list of two appetizers and three entrees into her phone when Hyojin reappeared. "Whoa take it easy I am not rich yet and I only returned to work today," Hyojin joked.

 

Hani finished her order and said there was a twenty minute wait for their food. She eyed Hyojin curiously and said, " Aren't you worried that you will get fired for skipping work tomorrow? You said yourself that your boss has it out for you."

 

Hyojin placed a finger to her chin to appear deep in thought, "You know what? She can do whatever she wants because I am going to be a star and she will be begging for my forgiveness when I hit it big."

 

Hani gulped the bottle of Soju she took out of the refrigerator, "Wow you are really sure of yourself aren't you?"

 

Hyojin flicked her hair and confidently walked to the bedroom to change into more comfortable clothes. Hani took another sip while thinking, "I hope you don't blow this audition because I can't afford to take care of the both of us."

 

A knock on the door startled her as she paid the delivery guy and the friends relaxed on the floor while watching Netflix until they fell asleep.

 

 

 

Joy entered the apartment before Taehyung arrived home and she was in a daze from her first day in a new building. She couldn't quite put her finger on it but there was something off about the staff in Building 10. The moment she pulled up to the parking lot to see a few other vehicles around she mumbled, "Great am I going to be bored out of my mind here."

 

She slowly walked to the back door but was startled to find two young men taking a smoke break right at the door. They jumped when they saw her coming near and put their cigarettes out and she gave them a small smile and said "hi" under her breath as she passed by.

 

The two men looked at each other with wide eyes as the younger one hit the older one on the chest to follow the new employee into the kitchen. The older one smoothed his hair into a ponytail as he entered the kitchen and smoothed out his shirt. The younger one sprayed breath spray in his mouth and put drops in his eyes. Joy glanced back as she found their behavior strange but kept her comments to herself but wasn't that why she was here in the first place.

 

She ran into a young girl probably no older than 18 leaving the manager's office and asked where the kitchen supervisor was. The young girl pointed to Bom and Joy released the breath she was holding in as it was a relief to see a familiar face. Bom was cutting a layered lemon cake when Joy walked right to her.

 

"Joy! What are you doing here?," Bom asked in shock. "Are you on loan from the Main Building for the day?"

 

Joy's face lit up and she exclaimed that she was transferred to stay at Building 10 and Bom was so ecstatic that she drew Joy in a tight hug and rocked side to side. Joy found this so amusing but there was an awkard presence as the two men from earlier were lurking around the kitchen and looking away everytime Joy caught them staring at her. 

 

The staff was sparse as Bom explained Building 10 had a high turnover rate of employees so she made introductions and gave Joy a tour of their tiny kitchen. The young girl she met earlier was 18 like she guessed and her name was Chaeryeong. The two men were named Roy Kim, the young one and Jung Joon-Young, the old one. Joy was uncomfortable in their presence not only from the way they held her hand too long when she introduced herself but throughout the day she caught them staring at her.

 

Jung Joon-Young grabbed a fountain soda as Bom was showing Joy the menu buttons on the register and he leaned against the counter while slowly sipping his drink through the straw never taking his eyes off of her. She gulped and tried to concentrate and keep her eyes on the register keypad.

 

"Hey! What do you think you are doing standing around? You know the motto if you have time to lean you have time to clean," Bom instructed her hand as she shooed him to the back. Joy relaxed for a little knowing that Bom didn't put up with lazy workers. Joy went to the cleaning closet to fill a bucket with solution when the younger one, Roy stood in the doorway leaning with his arms crossed.

 

"So what is a pretty girl like you doing at Building 10?," he wiggled his eyebrows and bite his lower lip. "Are you single or do you have a boyfriend?"

 

Joy rolled her eyes because she assumed both men were itching to ask her personal questions in an attempt to woo her. "Not that it is any of your business but I have a boyfriend who I love very much," Joy said as she brushed past him and re-entered the cafe. 

 

Roy grabbed his chest after Joy's elbow brushed against, "Ouch! A little pushy, aren't we? It's okay I like it when a girl puts up a fight." He finished with an evil smirk.

 

Joy spun around hoping she misunderstood what he said, "What is that suppose to mean?"

 

Roy stood right in front of her and said, "Nothing, you tell me? Lighten up we like to joke around here c'mon it is dull otherwise. It is your first day but you will see what I am talking about." He went to the drink machine to get a fountain soda and took his time putting the lid on the cup and straw in the lid. He tilted his head to get a better view of Joy slightly leaning over the counter to wipe the dirt off but he was snapped back to reality when someone yelled a timer went off in the kitchen.

 

He ran with his drink in hand and Joy kept her head bent down looking at the floor as she felt herself tear up. She thought, "What kind of ed up males do they have employed through Kompass? First it was Seungri, now these two clowns, unbelievable but I can't let Taehyung find out about it. I promised him I would handle anyone especially a guy who gives me trouble."

 

For the rest of Joy's shift she was left alone by the two men and she stayed in the cafe where her and Bom worked together. Her new workplace was a challenge but if it was necessary she wouldn't make the same mistake Miss Joohyun did and let months go by without reporting Seungri to upper management.

 

"It is the first day," Joy repeated to herself praying tomorrow will be different.

 

 

 

 

Joohyun sat in her car as she took a different direction out of the parking lot. She headed to the downtown district where all of the high end clothing stores, five star restaurants, and of course expensive jewelry stores were. She sat in her car with the headlights turned off and glanced out the passenger's side window to watch a slim woman dressed in all black with a short black bob hairstyle was closing shop for the night. She was locking  the display cases and wiping the glass. Joohyun's breath hitched as her ex-girlfriend appeared the same from the last time she saw her. She watched her shut off the lights and make her way out of the store with her jacket and purse in hand.

 

There were a few passerby making their way home for the night who blocked Joohyun's view for a second but her eyes followed Choon-hee's every movement. How dedicated she was to the jewelry store that she would inherit once her parents passed on. Joohyun recalled how she would stop by to see her girlfriend while she was working but Choon-hee always made up an excuse to send Joohyun away. Later Joohyun found out Choon-hee never told her parents she was dating a woman and she was the one who ended the relationship over the phone.

 

Joohyun scoffed with a look of disgust as she still held a grudge toward her ex for not having the decency to end it in person. "I wonder if she still is a coward?," Joohyun said under her breath. She started her car and drove off to home and a woman  who loves her.

 

As Choon-hee was turning the key in the lock, she focused her attention on a car that sped off into the night. The black Honda Accord was a vehicle she couldn't forget if she tried, "Joohyun?" Her eyes followed the vehicle as it disappeared down the street. "Seulgi must have told her she saw me," Choon-hee smirked as she added. "I thought she was happily engaged, guess not." She walked the two blocks until she reached her apartment complex.

 

 

 

Seungwan was in a deep sleep as beads of sweat covered her forehead no it wasn't sleep more like a nightmare. She dreamt she took the job at Seoul National University Hospital but when she went to visit Joohyun at the airport she found Minho hanging out in her office. They were laughing as Joohyun sat in her chair and Minho sat on her desk and they both acted nonchalant when Seungwan appeared as if they weren't flirting. 

 

"Seungwan sweetie! What are you doing here?," Joohyun asked with a big smile on her face and Minho was smiling too. 

 

"I will let you two talk," Minho got up to leave but not before her patted Joohyun's bare leg as she was wearing a skirt and she blushed.

 

Seungwan scolded as she watched him leave the office and shouted, "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT! HE JUST TOUCHED YOUR LEG!"

 

Joohyun shrugged her shoulders as she took out her compact mirror and reapplied her lipstick. "I have no idea what you are talking about remember you don't work here anymore. What are you doing here anyway?"

 

"I came to visit you," Seungwan said no louder than a whisper as Joohyun pinched her cheek and said, "How cute! But I have a meeting to attend to."

 

"What time will you be home?," Seungwan asked nervously fiddling with her fingers.

 

Joohyun squeezed her wrist, "Why are you acting like this? Look I will call you when the meeting is over in Minho's office." She gave Seungwan a quick hug. "Minho's office?," Seungwan said as her blood boiled. "Yes and if I don't leave now I won't be home until late," Joohyun said as she took her jacket off of the chair and carried her purse as she ran through the double doors.

 

Seungwan was twisting and turning talking in her sleep saying, "No come back! I'm sorry I lied!"

 

She woke up when she felt a crushing weight on top of her. She opened her eyes to strands of long jet black hair covering her face. Joohyun was laying on top and her snuggling in closer as she turned to face Seungwan.

 

"Baby what are you sorry about?," Joohyun asked as she caressed her fiancee's cheek. "For leaving the condo to go food shopping," Seungwan admitted almost beet red from embarrassment. 

 

"Uh huh and is that all?," Joohyun moved her hand from her cheek and was twirling a piece of blonde hair between her fingers.

 

"No I went on a job interview today at Seoul National University Hospital and they need to fill the cook position as soon as possible," Seungwan finished as she looked Joohyun in the eyes.

 

Joohyun played with the necklace she was wearing and said, "Does this mean you don't want to work at the airport anymore? Not even with your fiancee working there?" She directed her big pleading doe eyes at Seungwan.

 

Seungwan was speechless and the image of Minho and Joohyun laughing in her dream flashed before her eyes.

 

"No actually I was weighing my options but I will call the Executive Chef back to decline," Seungwan said as she hugged her fiancee tighter. "Are you hungry? What time is it?"

 

Joohyun turned her head to face the clock, "Almost ten and I helped myself to a bowl of soup and thank you for making it for me."

 

She pecked her lover's lips and groaned, "Now I must get up, shower, and change into my pajamas."

 

Seungwan shot straight up, "Do you need help showering?"

 

Joohyun giggled and pushed her back down on the bed, "You, young lady are still sick so we have to hold off from but maybe if you stayed in bed like I suggested then we could have....." Joohyun undid her ponytail and swayed her hips before she shut the door to the bathroom.

 

"Not fair!," Seungwan protested as she punched the pillow beside her.

 

 

 

Seungwan woke to her phone buzzing with an unread text message, "Hey Chef Seungwan, it's Minho." (She growled) "I was wondering if you would be interested in cutting your suspension short and returning to work today as there is a big catering event and we could use your help. Please text me back if you are available. Thanks."

 

"Pssttt," Seungwan her teeth as she placed her phone on the nightstand and returned her arms to hug her fiancee. She adjusted her head deep in the pillows and tried to go back to sleep but cracked her eye open when she heard giggling and felt Joohyun's body shaking.

 

"Did you just growl earlier?," Joohyun asked still laughing. 

 

Seungwan puffed her cheeks as she was embarrassed but lied, "My throat is still sore and that's how it sounds when I clear it."

 

Joohyun patted her cheek and lifted her head to face her, "You do bark when you attend sporting events! You are like my cute little puppy!" She pinched her cheeks as Seungwan squirmed to be release.

 

"Stop that it hurts my face!," Seungwan said as she slid off the side of the bed and headed to the bathroom. Joohyun stretched her arms as she stood up to find something to eat in the kitchen. She was munching on a banana when Seungwan informed her she was returning to the airport today. Joohyun jumped up and down and squeezed Seungwan while she pecked her cheeks numerous times.

 

Seungwan laughed as she was thankful to be returning to work also as she went three days without pay. Besides she hated to admitted it but her nightmare bothered her and she needed to be there in person to wipe the image clean from her memory.

 

Moments later, Seungwan was adjusting her chef coat collar and sleeves in the mirror when Joohyun s her arms around her waist. "Did I ever mention how much I love a woman in uniform?," she said as she laid her head on her fiancee's shoulder while staring at her.

 

Seungwan poked the tip of her nose, "Have I ever told you how y you look today?" Joohyun smirked as she nuzzled her nose into the fabric of the coat.

 

"You tell me how gorgeous I am everyday," Joohyun replied.

 

Seungwan turned to face Joohyun and held her by the waist, "I will tell you that for now until forever because it is the truth." They smiled at each other, locked eyes, and shared a slow, soft kiss.

 

When they broke apart Joohyun chuckled, "But also cheesy!" The room filled with laughter and they fixed any last adjustments in the mirror before leaving the condo.

 

The drive to work felt natural as they were back to their normal routine. Joohyun noticed Seungwan daydreaming while she was gazing out of the window so she took the opportunity to bring up a topic she forgot to mention last night.

 

She put her right hand in Seungwan's left hand and rubbed her knuckles, "Wannie......there is something I forgot to mention last night."

 

Seungwan turned her head away from the window with a concerned look on her face.

 

Joohyun quickly interjected, "Baby it is nothing serious but Kompass hired a new Market Bar Cook and well I think she might be attracted to me." The car stopped at a red light and Joohyun slowly turned her head to observe her fiancee's reaction.

 

Seungwan cleared with a cough as she on a cough drop, "I can't say I am not surprised as you are a visually stunning woman. But I must know should I be worried?" Seungwan cracked a smile as she squeezed Joohyun's hand.

 

Joohyun playfully hit her arm, "Stop that! I love and  am engaged to you besides she doesn't stand a chance because she is very masculine. I thought she was a man."

 

Seungwan howled with laughter, "Well how do you know she is interested in you? Did she ask you out?"

 

Joohyun gave her a worried smile, "But I shot her hard especially when I asked if my fiancee could join us. (Seungwan snickered) I don't know what she was thinking I mean my engagement ring is always on my finger." Seungwan kissed the back of her hand and Joohyun shot heart eyes at her.

 

"We are here and sorry to say so but over there is Minho's car," Joohyun spotted the red Mercedes parked in a reserved spot. Seungwan shrugged her shoulders as it was now or never to face her fears.

 

Seungwan led the way up the ramp letting Joohyun cling to her arm as she struggled to find footing in 6 inch heels. When they walked through the dock doors, there was Minho standing outside her office. 

 

"Chef Seungwan! Glad you could help us out but first I have a business proposition to discuss with you," he outstretched his arm to direct her into the office. The couple broke apart as Minho greeted Joohyun before she disappeared to her office. Seungwan cut her eyes at Minho as he greeted her fiancee but reminded herself it was a dream.

 

"Chef Seungwan take a seat," Minho offered the seat behind her desk as if she wasn't aware that they were in her office. "First let me start off by saying I am beyond grateful that you decided to assist on this luncheon we have scheduled today. There is an investor from China who is looking to purchase one of our top quality planes. I can't trust anyone to assemble edible as well as appealing food like you can."

 

Seungwan sat back and let Minho laud her with compliments but she stayed silent waiting for the inevitable reason he was up to her.

 

"Second I manage many accounts with Kompass as you are aware and I thought of you as the perfect candidate for my new project," Minho said with his hands clasped together.

 

"New project? You considered me but I just got off suspension," Seungwan felt skeptical as her behavior didn't warrant any new project to be her responsibility.

 

"Just hear me out. I am helping a new hotel open in Taipei and I informed the Executive Chef that I could loan him my Catering Chef for a month.....tops. What do you say? Who knows you may like it there and want to stay."

 

Seungwan shifted in her seat as she was confused and wondered if this was part of the punishment but a transfer to another country. They sat in silence.

 

Minho stood up and said, "You don't have to answer now. Think about it and I will check back with you."

 

Seungwan shook his hand and he left his office. She returned to her seat and imagined how miserable her fiancee and her would be without the other for a month. "Yeah it will definitely be a no," Seungwan whispered as she fixed the pens in her holder.

 

"So was it a dream after all or should I be worried about him too?," Seungwan thought as she recalled rumors circulating throughout the kitchen when she arrived about Minho cheating on his wife with Joohyun. "He does want me out of the picture. Maybe he brought me back to put Joohyun's mind at ease." She rested her chin on her hand deep in thought but she was distracted by the 10 messages waiting for her response. 

 

"I will worry about that later as there is some rich guy to impress," she thought as she skimmed the menu stapled to the clipboard for the big luncheon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note: Sorry the wait was so long but thank you to all of the readers who stuck with this story and I kept my promise to update around the same time I updated my second Wenrene story. I would like to dedicate this chapter to a loyal reader named LonelyOwl who has followed this story from the beginning and always leaves a comment. Thank you for your support and everyone else no matter if you just found the story or if you read it from the moment I posted it. Thank you again to everyone for the support.