Chapter 4: Who Will Make The First Move

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

Joohyun was typing away at her computer when she heard a slight knock on the door. Fearing it would be Seungri for the millionth time trying his luck to no success.

 

She mumbled under her breath, "How many times must I tell this ert no."

 

She reached the door and turned the knob to find Seulgi standing there with a young but cute girl.

 

"Joohyun I hate to disturb you but this is our new catering aide Nancy." Seulgi said with a smiled and moved to the side to give Nancy space so Joohyun could see her.

 

Nancy looked like she was still a teenager and acted like one to according to Joohyun. Not to say all teenagers had an attitude but Joohyun thought to herself if anyone thinks I suffer from resting face then you have not met this girl yet. Joohyun caught Nancy eyeing her from head to toe but it wasn't in a ual attraction way but more like an eyeing up her competition. Joohyun will gladly let this little girl know that she has no interest in anyone that is employed through Kompass come to think of it not even in the Incheon International Airport. Nancy could have her pick of anyone she wants maybe with wishful thinking Nancy will become attracted to Seungri so he will get off of Joohyun's back. But in all seriousness, Joohyun couldn't do that to this young girl but Joohyun knows that wouldn't stop Seungri from trying because he is a predator in her eyes.

 

"Nancy I will leave you with Joohyun so she can schedule your appointment for a badge and she will explain to you the payroll information," Seulgi said with a pat on Nancy's shoulder before she left.

 

Joohyun was curious she thought Bom said there would be a new cashier who would start working with them soon not catering. Joohyun shook her head to clear her mind I mean it wasn't the first time a new employee didn't show up for their first day of work.

 

"So Nancy you are aware that as of now we are still trying to fill the vacant position of the Catering Chef so for the time being you will report to Namjoon who is the Head Chef of the whole kitchen," Joohyun instructed while suspiciously watching Nancy to see if she was even listening.

 

Nancy nodded and said," I understand."

 

At the same time she was picking her nails and popping her bubblegum that she was chewing very loudly.

 

Joohyun hesitated before she spoke again," I am not well verse in your employment history I have to be honest I didn't have a chance to look at your file. But if this is the first kitchen that you are working in than I should let you know that we will not allow gum chewing and those nails must be no longer than an inch, sorry but rules are rules."

 

Nancy her teeth and had a look of defeat on her face. "But what if I wear latex gloves over them, it won't be a problem right?"

 

"I am sorry Nancy but this policy was put into place by Kompass and that applies to every person that works with Kompass. Seulgi will provide you with the employee handbook once all of the paperwork is complete and you are cleared to start working," Joohyun said with an authorative tone to her voice.

 

This isn't the first time that Kompass has hired teenagers and wanted Nancy to be aware of requirements that come with the job and if she doesn't follow them than it is on her not Joohyun and Seulgi. 

 

 

 

The phone rang on Joohyun's desk it was the Head of Security with Kompass ready to inform Joohyun that Nancy's background check cleared. Joohyun thanked the man and after she hung up the phone she started to type and print out Nancy's payroll information. Joohyun turned around to hand Nancy her paperwork when she caught Nancy staring at a note on her desk.

 

Joohyun glanced to wear she was looking and saw the post-it note which Seulgi had given her with Love Without Borders written on it. The note must have been stuck to her wallet and slipped out when she went to retrieve her wallet before heading to the coffee kiosk. Joohyun blushed and quickly crumbled up the paper and threw it in the trash like nothing happened.

 

"You are on that app too? So what do you think? Have you had any success?" Nancy asked one question after another.

 

Joohyun was speechless for a second she felt like saying, "Is this girl serious? Just a second ago she hated my guts! Oh and c'mon she is 19 what is she doing on a dating app, please! Let me guess she goes out on dates every night with the help of the app and wants to rub it in my face!"

 

Joohyun made sure to release a long breath before she included with "It's personal and I rather not discuss it." If Joohyun wasn't mistaken she could have swore Nancy had a victorious smile on her face at Joohyun's reply.

 

"You're right sorry to be so forward before my first day," Nancy said still kinda smiling.

 

Just then the double doors to the loading dock opened and Seulgi walked through with filing folders and her laptop in hand. Joohyun was so thankful Seulgi was there to finish the paper work and send Nancy on her way for the day.

 

"Oh Joohyun, did the background check clear and are we good to go with the orientation for Nancy?" Seulgi said after she unloaded her belongings on her desk.

 

Joohyun turned away from Nancy and looked at Seulgi and said, "Yes all is clear Nancy can start her shift tomorrow morning."

 

"Thanks Joohyun for taking care of that," Seulgi said.

 

"It was nice meeting you Miss Joohyun and thank you for helping me out I won't forget it," Nancy said a little too sweet to sound sincere. Nancy left her office and went across the hall to Seulgi's office as Joohyun closed the door behind her.

 

"Just who does she think she is? I am older than her shouldn't she show me some respect! More importantly I am her superior so whatever I say goes!" Joohyun finished her angry thoughts by messing up her hair a little bit she needed to take a break so she decided to take a walk outside where it was sunny but not too humid. 

 

 

 

Before Joohyun left her office she had to make sure Seungri was nowhere around to bother her so she opened her door slowly and peeked her head and looked around. Strangely there was no Seungri which was a welcome change but Joohyun heard his voice. Apparently Seungri was so engrossed in discussing the Mens under 21 South Korea soccer club with Namjoon and their chances at next World Cup. If there was one thing that Joohyun could count on was how easy it was for the guys in the kitchen to talk and argue for hours about sports.

 

Joohyun grabbed her purse and made a dash for the doors because she didn't know if the conversation was going to end at any minute and Seungri would follow her outside. Sometimes Joohyun despised feeling like a prisoner in her own work place. Seulgi tried to convince her to file an harassment report against Seungri but Joohyun wasn't the type to cost someone their job even if that someone is Seungri.

 

Namjoon was aware how uncomfortable Seungri made Joohyun feel so he tried to fill up Seungri's work day with extra cooking assignments or new recipes that he knew were very time consuming so that Seungri would be stuck at his work table for the entire 8 hours except for the 30 minute lunch break. By that time Seungri was starving and all he was thinking about was food. 

 

 

 

Joohyun took out her phone, set up the WiFi connection and logged onto the app. She also fainted when she saw her inbox contained 50 unread messages she had only been on the app for half of a night and one day.

 

Joohyun chuckled and murmured, "Let's see they didn't bother to read my profile just stare at my pictures and that's how it always starts. Why don't they reach out to that Carmen lady instead she is very eager it seems."

 

Joohyun laughed and made up her mind to read the messages anyway just to see what this app is all about. Most of the guys that sent messages wanted to know if she had any bikini shots or straight up nudes. Others went ahead and sent pics but also mentioned they were looking for a female who was humble.

 

"Haha yeah right, what a joke." Joohyun said to herself.

 

Joohyun did notice there was a message from brown haired blue eyed female who is 24 and lives in Quebec and who happened to be online right now. She sent a simple "Hey" so Joohyun was getting ready to type something back when the brown hair girl quickly went offline.

 

"What the hell? Well I shouldn't be surprised but I was smiling in all my pictures so my face is not to blame here. Maybe after work I will look at it again." Joohyun said and shut off her phone and made her way back to her office.

 

 

 

Seungwan sat at the small table in front of the cash register in the coffee shop. Yoo Jung Ahn and her dealt with a line which felt like it was a mile long not only did the coffee fly off the shelf but so did the baked goods. Yoo Jung Ahn was restocking the dessert case when she noticed Seungwan staring at her phone more intent than usual. Yoo Jung Ahn walked up behind her chair and peeked over her shoulder.

 

"So I knew I was right to show you that dating app I mean look at you, you can't take your eyes off of it!" Yoo Jung Ahn said a little too loudly.

 

Seungwan was startled and almost dropped her phone on the floor, "Whoa Yoo Jung Ahn could you not give me a heart attack! Yes I made a profile and logged onto the app but we will see where it goes from here. Don't get too excited I don't want to crush your feelings."

 

Yoo Jung Ahn took the seat across from Seungwan and asked for her phone.

 

Seungwan looked at her with a confused expression on her face, "Why? Don't you have the same app on your phone?"

 

"Yes but I want to make sure that the app is being used on your phone and not just sitting there besides I am eager to see what your profile looks like and who sent you a message if you will let me." Yoo Jung Ahn said with a pout.

 

"Okay but don't hit the green check mark button unless I approve first." Seungwan said seriously.

 

"Okay." Yoo Jung Ahn agreed. Yoo Jung Ahn was busy humming and clicking away without saying much which made Seungwan tremble a little.

 

"Oh hey what do you think about her?" Yoo Jung Ahn said while showing Seungwan a picture of a short like 5 foot woman with long black hair and tan skin who is 23 and lives in Hawaii.

 

"She isn't bad but keep on looking." Seungwan said while rocking from side to side on the chair somewhat anxious to see who will turn up. Just then Seungwan's phone ding with another message before she could grab her phone back.

 

Yoo Jung Ahn went to the inbox and read the message it was Cee Cee again, "Hey what happen? I didn't hear anything from you. Are you trying to ghost me or something like that? I get it I am not everyone's type but you could have say that. Man you Canadians sure are cold!" Yoo Jung Ahn was crying tears from laughing after she was done reading the message.

 

"Stop it, it isn't funny." Seungwan said in a low voice.

 

"C'mon Seungwan it is in a way how she went all psycho on you but you weren't rude to her so whatever." Yoo Jung Ahn said with a smile.

 

"This is why I had my reservations about doing this because anyone can contact you even the unstable." Seungwan sighed and continued, "Besides I am looking for a woman from South Korea and I am not settling for anything else."

 

Yoo Jung Ahn nodded intently and replied with, "If a South Korean woman is what you are looking for then that is what I will find for you."

 

Yoo Jung Ahn was about to type South Korea into the search bar when Seungwan's phone ding again with a message from the app about today's spotlight picks.

"These are always intriguing," Yoo Jung Ahn thought as she opened the tab while Seungwan was busy people watching from the big front window of the coffee shop. 

 

 

 

Yoo Jung Ahn could not believe what she saw as the 1st pick appeared on the screen.

 

"Oh my gosh! She is breathtaking just unbelievably gorgeous! Seungwan you have to see this!" Yoo Jung Ahn yelped.

 

Seungwan was too deep in thought when Yoo Jung Ahn asked for her attention.

 

"Please stop scaring me today with all of your screaming you know I have another job to complete tonight."

 

"Yes yes Seungwan now look at her she was featured in today's spotlight so what do you think? Isn't she beautiful I mean better than beautiful?" Yoo Jung Ahn gushed while lightly punching Seungwan's arm.

 

Seungwan looked once and looked again accept this time a little longer because she couldn't believe her eyes. Seungwan had to admit she was the most gorgeous woman that Seungwan has ever seen.

 

"She can clearly stop traffic and make people stumble over their words and spill their drinks and food." Seungwan replied.

 

Yoo Jung Ahn gave her a worried look and said, "So that is all you are going to say? What was that? I mean she is from South Korea like you asked. Let's read more 28 years old, is employed by Kompass food service company (Are you familiar with that company? Yoo Jung Ahn asked Seungwan and Seungwan nodded yes) has her own place and car, likes road trips especially to the beach, and it looks like she attended Paris Fashion Week from her pictures especially the one where she is in front of the Eiffel Tower."

 

"Everyone takes a picture at the Eiffel Tower while they are in Paris it isn't anything special it is rather cliche." Seungwan shrugged her shoulders.

 

"Yeah this is coming from the woman with the gym selfie by the wall to wall mirrors like that isn't cliche." Yoo Jung Ahn said while poking Seungwan's shoulder.

 

"Here is your phone I mean it is your decision to make personally I would send her message ASAP I wouldn't doubt that her inbox is full as we speak. The spotlight picks on the app are usually new users so maybe she hasn't been on that long and so she may actually read her messages before deleting them. I mean the choice is yours if you don't message her maybe I will, joking don't get mad."

 

Seungwan watched Yoo Jung Ahn head back to the register while she sat there a little longer and decided that it was now or never.

 

With shaky fingers she typed, "I know you probably receive a lot of messages a day but I want to let you know that I read your profile and I like road trips too. I am currently living in Canada right now but hopefully if everything works out by October I am planning to move to South Korea. If you have a chance to read this message or look at my profile and find that we have anything in common then reach out and I promise I will reply. I hope to hear from you soon. By the way my name is Seungwan not Wendy but you can still call me Wendy if you want to, Irene."

 

Seungwan put her phone in her pocket and helped Yoo Jung Ahn clean the coffee shop before heading off to her second job.