Chapter 16: New Year's Eve

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

Nancy was browsing the top picks on the Love Without Borders app feeling a little defeated at the selections to chose from.

 

"This is ridiculous how did Miss Joohyun and Chef Seungwan find each other on this app! There is no one in this world I want to be with and I erased and rewrote my profile and still no luck," Nancy huffed as she threw her phone across her bedroom. She sank into her bed while hugging her pillow imagining how great her life would be if she met Seungwan before Joohyun did. 

 

"Whatever I need to forget about that because it is the way it is or.... could it be," Nancy pondered as she farther thought about Seungwan working at Cafe 11 or Cafe 14 alongside Nancy and Hyebin since they were the catering staff so they had to follow Chef Seungwan to another location. Maybe being separated from Joohyun for 8 hours or more would convince Seungwan that she may see Nancy as a potential love interest. 

 

Nancy laughed as she shook her head and said, "Who am I kidding? Miss Joohyun is a goddess and they are engaged to be married probably in Canada. Chef Seungwan sees me as a child and nothing more. I also have to keep my promise to Hyebin to not say a word about their relationship I will let Seungri do that. I can't risk the entire kitchen staff despising me for the remainder of the time I work there." 

 

Nancy's phone ding and she read the text message sent from JooE that said, "I know you are moping around the house complaining about your nonexistent love life. Well I am here to say get over it and come out and join us for a movie! Don't lie I know you want to see Toy Story 4. C'mon it will be the same group of people so I will pick you up in 10 minutes. Be ready!"

 

Nancy really didn't feel like interacting with anyone especially her friends but she thought seeing a children's movie might cheer her up and possibly forget Joohyun and Seungwan for a short period of time. She grabbed her small black Prada handbag and made her way to the front gate.

 

 

 

Joohyun was pacing the hard wood floors as Seungwan sat on the couch watching her waiting for her reaction. Joohyun was rubbing her head and she had her arms crossed as she was clearly frustrated. She stopped and made her way over to the couch as she took a sit right next to Seungwan.

 

"Wannie I think celebrating New Year's Eve at the hotel is a great idea but I don't feel comfortable with Junhyung and his friends being there also," Joohyun said softly as she took Seungwan's hands and held them in her hands. "I have told you time and time again that I believe he is attracted to you but you insist it isn't that way. Are you sure?"

 

Seungwan shifted in her seat and said, "I made it clear that I am in a relationship and he seemed fine with me inviting my friends. I mean he is going to invite his friends too so it doesn't sound romantic to me, right?"

 

Joohyun got up from the couch and made her way to the kitchen and said, "Yeah I guess you are right." She opened the cabinet above the sink and poured a glass of water. Seungwan was standing in the doorway with her arms crossed looking at the ground as she said, "So....are we going to discuss the issue with Lee Sangmin?"

 

Joohyun choked on her water and was coughing as Seungwan tapped her on the back. "Sorry I didn't mean to almost kill you," Seungwan said as she was rubbing Joohyun's back. She gave Joohyun a napkin to wipe the excessive water on her face.

 

"I have the impression that Lee Sangmin wants to be more than my boss and possibly my boyfriend," Joohyun said slowly turning her head away from the sink to face Seungwan. Seungwan's eyes bulged and made an "o" shape as she cut in, "See I told you so!" Pointing her finger at Joohyun. Joohyun swatted Seungwan's finger away as she continued, "It is nothing I can't handle, I have had men confess to me throughout the years how they love me and I reject them and we move on." Joohyun shrugged her shoulders and picked up a sponge and started to wash the glass she used.

 

Seungwan stood still for a few minutes before she said, "Okay listen Hyunnie, I have a lot of reservations about you working with Lee Sangmin knowing that he has no problem crossing the line with his employees! What if he tries to get physical with you? How are you going to protect yourself? Did you enroll in self defense classes before you met me because if you didn't  then we are taking them together starting tomorrow!"

 

Joohyun cupped Seungwan's cheeks as she planted a long kiss and said, "I love the way you want to protect me but I can assure you Lee Sangmin is harmless. He spends the majority if his time locked away in his office. He makes an appearance here and there behind the bar but I'm left alone with the other bartenders for my 5 hour shift. If you don't believe me you can sit at the bar all night observing." Joohyun left the kitchen and made her way into the bedroom.

 

Seungwan followed Joohyun into the bedroom and stopped her from folding the laundry on the bed by holding her by the arms and said, "I trust you but I don't trust him and I only want you to promise me one thing." Joohyun looked into Seungwan's eyes and said, "What is that?" 

 

"The moment you feel uncomfortable or that it isn't safe to work around Lee Sangmin you will quit. Please do this for me, I love you and I don't want anything bad to happen," Seungwan finished as she pulled Joohyun into a tight hug. 

 

"Okay Wannie I promise I will do that," Joohyun said as she pulled away and pecked Seungwan's lips.

 

"It is already 11:30pm and we have a short shift to work at the airport tomorrow. Why don't we shower together and afterwards I can show you my surprise!" Joohyun exclaimed wiggling her brows.

 

"A surprise for me but we already exchanged gifts," Seungwan pouted. Joohyun placed a kiss on her lips and said, "Well this surprise is only for the bedroom."

 

Seungwan started stripping off her clothes and rushing toward the bathroom. She shouted from inside the shower, "What are you waiting for join me!" Joohyun giggled as she stripped her clothes off and made her way to the bathroom. With the water running Joohyun and Seungwan were kissing each other passionately and slowly cleaning their bodies with a sponge going over every inch multiple times. They loved drying each other off as they were mesmerized by the shape and curves of their bodies.

 

"I purchased something special while shopping with Seulgi. Here let me show you," Joohyun said as she grabbed Seungwan's hand and led her into the bedroom. She went to the nightstand and pulled out a small black bag inside was a called Calextics

 

Seungwan had a devilish smile on her face as she said, " So I guess we won't be getting much sleep tonight." 

 

"Not at all," Joohyun replied as she hit the on switch and the toy started to buzz. Joohyun and Seungwan spent the entire night trying out the toy exploring each other's bodies, leaving love marks and in between kisses.

 

 

Tuesday morning, New Year's Eve came too soon as Seungwan and Joohyun woke to sore bodies and blood shot eyes. "Wannie I can't believe it is morning already it feels like I just shut my eyes!" Joohyun exclaimed rubbing her head.

 

"I know I feel like ," Seungwan mumbled into the pillow. Joohyun leaned over with her bare s touching Seungwan's back as she whispered in her husky voice, "Since we dirtied ourselves last night what do you say about a nice hot shower before work." She finished with a nimble on Seungwan's ear lobe.

 

Seungwan picked herself halfway up and said, "How could I say no." She pecked Joohyun's lips and made her way to the bathroom giving Joohyun a front row seat to her cheeks shaking.  "Mmmm can't resist those buns," Joohyun said as she leaped off of the bed.

 

They made their shower a quick one but they were kissing each other and Joohyun kept grabbing Seungwan's which made her squirm. "Joohyun if you keep on grabbing it with such force I am going to have bruises!" Seungwan said as she broke the kiss to rinse her face. Joohyun slapped both cheeks and said, "Fine I won't be so touchy."

 

They dried each other off and picked out their clothes Joohyun selected a silver top, black dress pants, and black 5 inch heels. She put silver hoops in her ears and a silver necklace with a 2 carat diamond on it.

 

"Who gave you that necklace?" Seungwan asked buttoning up her chef coat. "My aunt as a gift when I was promoted to Finance Manager with Kompass," Joohyun explained.  

 

"Oh okay, it is pretty," Seungwan said tying her shoe laces. Joohyun left her seat from the vanity makeup table and sat on the bed next to Seungwan. 

 

"All the jewelry I have pales in comparison to this wonderful and gorgeous engagement ring you gave me," Joohyun said as she cupped Seungwan's face for a long passionate kiss. They leaned back into the bed and were letting their tongues battle for dominance when Seungwan pulled away and sat straight up and said breathlessly, "We should head out before we are late."

 

Joohyun smoothed her blouse and fixed Seungwan's hair as she said, "Yeah we should be leaving right now." They made their way to the elevator then the parking garage. Joohyun placed her briefcase in the backseat and opened the door to the driver's side. Seungwan was sitting in the passenger's seat adjusting her collar.

 

"Are you sure you don't want to drive?" Joohyun said as she placed a her right hand on top of Seungwan's left hand that was laying on the arm rest. "No I am fine I think you should drive. I will one of these days when I am more familiar with the streets of Seoul," Seungwan said as she patted Joohyun's hand.

 

"Okay just offering don't let your driving skills get too rusty," Joohyun said as she pecked Seungwan's lips. "I won't," Seungwan said as she caressed Joohyun's cheek.

 

When they arrived at the security gate they noticed the parking lot was pretty vacant which was expected on a holiday week. 

 

"It is a half work day so it will be over before you know it," Joohyun said as she unbuckled her seatbelt and her and Seungwan exited the car. They were halfway to the loading dock doors when they ran into Seungri holding a cigarette and making his way down the ramp. He kept his eyes on them, watching their every move until they disappeared behind the double doors.

 

They were standing side by side at the time clock when Joohyun whispered, "Don't worry Wannie he is no longer a threat now that I have you around. I think he might be intimidated by you. You kept your promise to protect me and I never doubted you." Joohyun gave Seungwan's hand a light squeeze before she went into her office and shut the door.

 

Seungwan went to her work table to find her clipboard with less paper work as most of the catering events were cancelled due to the holiday season. "What am I going to do now?" Seungwan thought. 

 

Chef Namjoon must have read her thoughts because he approached her and told her she could assist the staff in Building 6 as there were many call outs. "Oh and Nancy and Hyebin will accompany you," Chef Namjoon added.

 

"Alright just direct me where to go," Seungwan said a little confused.

 

Joohyun stepped out of her office to head over to the coffee kiosk to order a bubble tea when she overheard Namjoon and Seungwan's conversation. She knew that Seungwan would float from cafe to cafe but she felt a sting in her heart knowing she wouldn't see her for the 5 hours they were scheduled today. 

 

Ever since Joohyun and Seungwan started dating Seulgi always made a point to say Joohyun became clingier with Seungwan than any of her past relationships which were very few. Joohyun couldn't help it she felt like she had an obsession with Seungwan as Seungwan was the most exciting and caring person she ever met. Joohyun was pushing 30 years old so she wanted to settle down and she was fortunate enough to find Seungwan.

 

Seungwan was rolling up her knife kit as Joohyun stood by her work table and whispered, "You're leaving me to work at another building. How do I survive without you here? It will be strange leaving my office and not being able to watch you work at your table." Joohyun gave Seungwan's hand a light squeeze.

 

Seungwan leaned in and whispered, "We see each other at home and today is a short work day so it will be over before you know it."

 

The double doors to the loading dock opened and Seungri walked in with cigarette smoke covering him from head to toe. Joohyun and Seungwan coughed as he walked by and Seungwan bid her goodbye as she walked out of the double doors.

 

Seungri turned to Taehyung who was shredding the pork for pulled pork BBQ sandwiches. "Korean women and skinship isn't it something else I mean a straight male could take it the wrong way unless that's what they want." He looked directly at Joohyun who was still standing there.

 

"Get back to work wasn't your smoke break long enough!" Joohyun said as she tried to calm her temper.

 

"For your information I don't take orders from a woman especially not you Miss Finance Manager!" Seungri said as he made his way over to the sink to wash his hands.

 

Joohyun huffed and her heel as she made her way to her office and slammed the door shut. Seungri couldn't contain his laughter as he bellowed throughout the kitchen. 

 

Namjoon shouted, "Seungri keep it down and do me a favor and don't speak to her like that again! She is still your superior!" Seungri waved his hand around and said, "Yeah yeah whatever you say."

 

Taehyung thought he should break up the tension by saying, "So Seungri what are your plans for New Year's Eve? Do you have a date?"

 

Seungri dropped his knife on the cutting board and said in an annoyed tone, "What is with you always nagging me about my love life? Do you want to be my boyfriend or something? GOD! I have for your information and I have a lot of females' phone numbers in my contacts. I just chose to play the field. What about you?"

 

Taehyung wasn't expecting Seungri to change the focus to him as his hands were shaking he said, "Oh I am spending it with my girlfriend's family they have a big New Year's party at their house every year."

 

Seungri smirked as he said, "Girlfriend you mean Joy right? (Taehyung gulped as sweat was covering his forehead) C'mon Taehyung the entire kitchen staff is aware that the two of you are dating it isn't a secret. I mean you didn't hide it well and congratulations because right after Miss Joohyun, Joy would have been my second choice. My god the curves on her!" Seungri was staring at the wall fantasizing about Joy.

 

Taehyung clenched his fist but released it as he knew he couldn't risk being fired even though it was Seungri's fault. Seungri saw Taehyung's fist tighten and said, "Oh thinking of punching me for admiring your girlfriend, well go ahead just try, I took classes in Tae Kwon Do. I'll have you laying on your so fast you won't know what hit you."

 

Taehyung just dropped the conversation and decided from this moment forward that he would give Seungri the silence treatment. Only ask him work related questions nothing personal. Joy did confine in Taehyung before they started dating that Seungri would spend a lot of time in the cafe and she caught him staring at her from the seating gallery. She assured Taehyung that Seungri lost interest when Joohyun was transferred to the main building and all of his focus went to her. Joy felt horrible that Joohyun was being harassed but at the same time a little thankful it wasn't her.

 

Joohyun kept her office locked as she was browsing the pictures on her phone of her and Seungwan touring Toronto. She even screen shot the text messages on the Love Without Borders app as she wanted to include them in a slideshow for their wedding. She snapped a picture of Seungwan sleeping last night. If Seulgi saw the picture she would say how creepy Joohyun is. But Joohyun loved to watch Seungwan sleep she thought Seungwan looked so peaceful and she felt giddy when she heard Seungwan mumble her name in her sleep. Joohyun had a few documents to gave her approval to before her day was over. She found a picture of Seungwan and her hugging outside of club Queen that Joy took that night and set her phone right by her computer screen so she could glance at it while she worked.

 

 

 

Seungwan opened the door to Building 6 and was greeted by Bom, the Cashier Manager for the Main Building. "Chef Seungwan thank you for agreeing to help us out today," Bom said extending her hand to shake Seungwan's hand. "Today's work load is very light I need you to assemble box lunches and Nancy and Hyebin are in the backroom they have already started." 

 

"Okay I will head back there now," Seungwan said as she waved goodbye to Bom. Seungwan walked through the swinging door and found Nancy and Hyebin tieing the cookie bags close. "Hey ladies can I assist you with anything?" Seungwan said as she stood next to Nancy. 

 

Nancy was nervous with the close proximity but also delighted that her wish came true and she had Chef Seungwan all to herself as far away from Miss Joohyun even if it was for a day. "Sure can you go to the dry storage room and grab the chips that are on this list?" Nancy asked fluttering her eyelashes.

 

Seungwan giggled as she found Nancy a little odd but decided to keep her opinion to herself besides she was happy to see Nancy wasn't fidgeting anymore or avoiding her. "Okay let me see what I can find," Seungwan said as she disappeared into the storage room.

 

Nancy felt a poke in her arm and turned to see Hyebin glaring at her as she was rubbing her right arm she said, "What's your problem?"

 

"Don't play dumb with me Nancy! You were flirting with Chef Seungwan and you know she is engage to marry Miss Joohyun! So what are you thinking?" Hyebin scolded in a hoarse whisper.

 

"Oh calm down Hyebin! Miss Joohyun is working in another building today and I want to test the theory "out of sight out of mind," Nancy said as she gave Hyebin a wink.

 

"You are asking for trouble! I watched you shiver in fear when you notice Miss Joohyun walking near you with that cold stare of hers! So you want to put yourself in jeopardy by making a move on her fiance ha! Good luck!" Hyebin finished shaking her head in amusement.

 

"What are we talking about?" Seungwan said from behind with her hands full of chip bags. "Nothing too important just New Year's plans?" Nancy said breaking into a smile hoping Seungwan didn't overhear their conversation. 

 

"Oh okay," Seungwan said as they continued to work in silence for the reminder of the shift. Nancy would try to say something to Seungwan but found herself tongue-tied. Deep down she knew Hyebin was right she shouldn't interfere with Joohyun and Seungwan's relationship. She hated having a conscence and wished she could be more like Seungri without a care in the world treating people like . But look at what has become of him as he is alone and bitter. Nancy shuttered at the thought and went about placing the last can soda in the box lunch as she, Hyebin, and Seungwan made their way back to the Main Building to clock out.

 

 

It was around 8 pm, Seungwan and Joohyun were slipping into cocktail dresses when Joohyun received a message from Seulgi asking if they would like to join her and Jimin for karaoke. The festivities at the Tmark Hotel were not scheduled to start until 10:30pm so Joohyun and Seungwan agreed to celebrate earlier with Seulgi and Jimin.

 

The karaoke bar was called Heart & Seoul Karaoke, Joohyun and Seungwan called an Uber to take them around town for the night. The rates to rent an Uber were expensive due to the holiday but Seungwan and Joohyun were willing to pay the price if that meant they could drink as much as they wanted to.

 

A royal blue 2013 Ford Fusion pulled up to the front entrance of the apartment building, a man in his mid 30's sat in the driver's seat. He unlocked his car doors as Seungwan and Joohyun opened the door and took their seats. They were adjusting their dresses before buckling the seatbelts. The driver was watching them the whole time through the rearview mirror as he said, "Wow you ladies look gorgeous tonight!"

 

Seungwan and Joohyun blushed and thanked the man. "So just some single gals looking for boyfriends tonight to share a kiss at midnight with?" The driver said as he pulled the car out of the parking space and merged into traffic. Seungwan and Joohyun locked eyes and started laughing. "No we have boyfriends we are going to meet them at the party later on," Seungwan said holding Joohyun's hand and making small circles with her thumb.

 

"Right...okay...well we are here!," the driver exclaimed as he turned to the backseat to bid the ladies goodbye and a safe night. The car stopped in front of a sign with lights and flashing lights spilling through the big front windows. Joohyun texted Seulgi that her and Seungwan arrived as they made their way into the bar. Seulgi replied she was in the back near the glitter room as Seungwan and Joohyun made their way to where Seulgi and Jimin were sitting. Seulgi jumped from her seat as soon as she saw Joohyun and embraced her in a short hug and did the same to Seungwan. 

 

"So do you ladies want to get a little tipsy before you start singing?" Seulgi asked displaying her cocktail glass. Seungwan told Joohyun she would purchase the drinks as she left for the bar. "Two on the Beach please," Seungwan said as she laid a $20 bill on the counter. She felt a tap on her shoulder as she soon was face to face with Junhyung. "Wow what a small world! By the way you look fantastic in that dress!" Junhyung exclaimed eyeing Seungwan from head to toe.

 

"Thank you," Seungwan squeaked out as she tugged on the bottom of her dress fixing any creases. "My buddies are over there if you want to join us, we are pretty decent singers we won't embarrass you too much," Junhyung said with a warm smile.

 

"No thank you I can't my friends are waiting for me over there," Seungwan pointed to where the group of three were huddled together talking over the loud music. "Alright! Are you stay going to the fireworks celebration at the hotel later?" Junhyung asked with pleading eyes. "Yes I will be there but I have to go now my friends are waiting on me," Seungwan said as she balanced two drinks as she blended into the crowd heading toward the booth in the corner.

 

She placed the two cocktails on the table before Joohyun grabbed her wrist and asked, "What did he want?" Seungwan looked at Joohyun and said, "Nothing really it is pure coincidence that he is spending the night with his friends singing karaoke at the same time as us," Seungwan shrugged as she sipped her drink. Joohyun let go of Seungwan's wrist as she directed her attention to Junhyung's table where the two friends were laughing and teasing Junhyung. Joohyun knew Junhyung didn't follow them there but her nerves were on edge watching him be so casual.

 

Seulgi went to the DJ to register her and Jimin to sing. "What song did you chose?" Joohyun asked over the loud music and flashing lights. "I selected Senorita by Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes," Seulgi said clapping her hands as Jimin rolled his eyes. Seulgi played that song everytime they were in the car together and everytime Jimin would object to listening to it Seulgi said she needed to mesmerize the lyrics for karaoke. But Jimin assured her the lyrics ran across the TV screen so she didn't need to recite it by memory.

 

"Next up Jimin and Seulgi singing Senorita!" the DJ's voice boomed over the speakers. Seulgi squealed with excitement as she dragged Jimin to the stage. Seungwan and Joohyun laughed at the look of misery on Jimin's face but as soon as the music started Jimin faced Seulgi and serenaded her as if it was their wedding. Joohyun and Seungwan swayed to the music and sang along, sharing loving looks. As Seulgi and Jimin left the stage to loud cheers and whistles, Junhyung approached the table.

 

"Hey Seungwan I don't mean to intrude on your time with your friends but I was wondering if you would like to sing a duet with me?" Junhyung asked swaying side to side on the balls of his feet. Seungwan turned to meet Joohyun's cold stare as she flinched not expecting such an immediate response. Seungwan thought it is just one song and what does Joohyun have to be jealous about. Maybe this will prove to Joohyun that Junhyung only sees Seungwan as a friend. "Sure!" Seungwan replied. 

 

Joohyun's mouth fell to the floor in shock, she couldn't believe Seungwan was singing probably a love song with the same man that Joohyun was positive had feelings for her. Junhyung made his way over to the DJ booth to place their names. Joohyun held Seungwan's right arm in between both of her hands as she whispered, "You can't be serious I will guarantee you that he is in love with you." Seungwan laughed as she covered with her hand. 

 

"C'mon Hyunnie we are coworkers nothing more," Seungwan said as she Joohyun's hair. "I trust you but I don't trust him," Joohyun pouted leaning into Seungwan's right shoulder. 

 

The announcement by the DJ over the loud speaker blasted, "Junhyung and Seungwan please make your way to the stage to sing." Seungwan got up and placed a kiss on the back of her fiance's hand before she joined Junhyung onstage. Junhyung handed Seungwan a microphone as he selected Shallow by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga to sing. Joohyun rolled her eyes she didn't hate the song she actually loved it especially when Seungwan sang Lady Gaga's parts when she thought Joohyun wasn't around. She was livid that Junhyung intentionally in her opinion decided to sing such a romantic song with Seungwan where they would gaze into each other's eyes and stand forehead to forehead without any breathing room.

 

Joohyun straighten up in her seat as she wanted to give this performance her upmost attention. Junhyung and Seungwan were avoiding eye contact with one another and pretending to focus on the words running across the screen. Once the chorus started to pick up they turned to each other and stood less than arm's length while smiling and blushing. Jimin and Seulgi jumped back in their seats as Joohyun slammed her cocktail glass on the table almost shattering it. 

 

"Joohyun, what the hell? Calm down it is only a duet nothing more," Seulgi said reaching across the table in an attempt to comfort Joohyun.

 

 "Easy for you to say you were able to sing a duet with your fiance! Your fiance wasn't up there singing to another woman! She is in big trouble!" Joohyun shouted at Seulgi and Jimin as she heard the cheers for Junhyung and Seungwan to kiss before she left her seat and made her way to the restroom. Seulgi ran after Joohyun leaving Jimin standing there puzzled when Seungwan approached the table and asked where Seulgi and Joohyun were as Jimin pointed to the restroom.

 

Seungwan opened the door to the restroom slowly and saw standing in front of the sinks Seulgi holding a weeping Joohyun. Seungwan slipped in slowly but she accidentally let the door slammed shut which startled the best friends. "I think that is my cue to leave, I can't let Jimin sit alone out there," Seulgi said as she slowly let go of Joohyun and patted Seungwan on the shoulder before exiting the restroom. 

 

Seungwan took a step toward Joohyun and said in a low voice, "Joohyun I...." She stopped when she saw Joohyun back away. "What is going on here? Why are you acting like this? What because I sang one song with Junhyung which meant nothing? I can't keep repeating myself to make you understand. You know I love you and only you, right? You believe me don't you?" Seungwan stepped toward Joohyun and Joohyun didn't move as Seungwan used her fingertips to brush the tears off of Joohyun's cheeks. 

 

"We can call it a night and head back to the condo," Seungwan said trying to lock eyes with Joohyun as Joohyun kept her eyes directed to the floor.

 

Joohyun placed her hands on top of Seungwan's hands and gently rubbed them as she said, "No I want to spend the night out and enjoy this holiday together even party at the hotel. I'm sorry that I become jealous so easily. I am afraid of losing you. That you will see how boring I am and regret agreeing to marry me." Joohyun locked eyes with Seungwan as a few more tears spilled from her eyes.

 

Seungwan leaned in and placed a long passionate kiss on Joohyun's lips, capturing Joohyun's bottom lip between her lips. They both released a moan as they broke apart for air. "I love our life together whether it is the living situation or the work situation. I don't regret one moment of it and I am anxious to see what awaits us once we are married."

 

Joohyun smiled and pulled Seungwan into a hug as she repeated "I love you" softly into Seungwan's ear. Seungwan's phone ding in her handbag. "Oh my gosh look at the time it is 10:30pm already we need to leave this place so we can wait for our Uber ride as they are 8 minutes away," Seungwan read the text as she placed her phone back in her handbag and gave Joohyun's forehead a kiss as they exited the restroom.

 

They made their way to the table Jimin and Seulgi were sitting at to bid them farewell. Seungwan glanced over at Junhyung's table and noticed the boys were rowdy and chugging pints of beer. "It looks like he is going to be late to his own party," Seungwan thought to herself. Seungwan and Joohyun walked through the front entrance hand in hand as a forest green 2003 Chevy Malibu pulled up to the curb.

 

A hipster college aged male with black frame glasses and a beanie sat up front playing Indie Rock music for the entire ride over to the hotel. Joohyun took her compact out of her handbag and reapplied and fixed her eye makeup. Seungwan leaned in pecked Joohyun's shoulder and whispered in her ear, "I can't wait to kiss you at midnight." Joohyun closed her compact and turned toward the window as she was hiding a fresh spread of blush running across her face.

 

"Here we are ladies," the hipster said as he pulled up to the huge double glass doors of the hotel. Seungwan tipped the driver $40 as it was the first decent driver Joohyun and Seungwan had in awhile and she was feeling generous. "Hey thanks please request me again!" the hipster shouted from the open passenger's window as he sped off.

 

"Ready to party with some loud fireworks!" Seungwan said as she wiggled her brows.

 

"Yeah let's go!" Joohyun said trying to sound excited as she didn't want to show Seungwan that she was easily startled from loud noises. Seungwan wrapped her arm around Joohyun's waist and they took the elevator to the rooftop deck. As the elevator doors opened bass enhancing music could be heard as colorful strobe lights illuminated the dance floor.

 

Seungwan was wearing a glittery silver dress with silver 5 inch heels as Joohyun wore a glittery gold dress with gold 5 inch heels. The minute they stepped off the elevator heads turned in their direction and gasps and whispers bounced off the music. "Beautiful!" "Goddess!" "Gorgeous!" "Stunning!" "Breathtaking!" Seungwan thought all of the comments were for her fiance when she overheard two guys talking as one said to the other, "I usually don't go for women with short hair but she looks amazing with it!" 

 

Joohyun found a loveseat by the pool which was heated to 90 degrees due to the winter weather. Seungwan brought black sweaters for her and Joohyun as the temperature was 50 degrees with a slight breeze in the air. Joohyun was shivering as she sat leg to leg beside Seungwan. Seungwan threw her arm around Joohyun and rubbed her upper arm furiously attempting to warm her up.

 

"Hyunnie why don't we start dancing to see if we can stay warm I mean we are not doing ourselves any favors just by sitting still," Seungwan said as she pulled Joohyun out to the edge of the dance floor. They were holding each other tight as the DJ played songs by Sia, Maroon 5, Super Junior, Ariana Grande, The Weeknd, and Girl's Generation. 

 

The people in the crowd stopped what they were doing to see what caused the commotion by the sliding doors to the penthouses. Seungwan shook Joohyun's shoulders lightly to make her aware of the sight neither woman wanted to see. Laughing and shouting were a group of guys but not just any group of guys, this group consisted of Daesung, T.O.P., Taeyang, G-dragon  and of course led by Seungri. They were falling all over each other while trying to balance the huge bottles of liquor. Daesung, Taeyang, and G-dragon settled on the lounge chairs by the pool. T.O.P. sat at the bar but the bartender refused to serve him as he already had alcohol in his possession.

 

Seungri made his way over to the DJ booth and grabbed the mic, he focused his eyes on Seungwan and Joohyun as his voice boomed through the speakers, "IS THIS THING ON? TESTING 1, 2. OKAY GREAT I HAVE AN ANNCOUNCEMENT TO MAKE! EVERYONE READY!"

 

There were a few giggles as the music stopped and the guests turned to each other with a look of confusion on their faces.

 

Seungri cleared his throat before he bellowed out, "GAY PEOPLE GO HOME!!!!"

 

The party guests looked around puzzled while some snickered as Seungwan and Joohyun retreated to a dark corner of the bar. "Why is he always around to ruin everything! I hate that man!" Seungwan proclaimed clenching her fists. Joohyun rubbed Seungwan's arms in an attempt to calm her down as she felt like crying herself. Joohyun believed she had been through enough and heard every nasty thing Seungri had to say at work and now she can't celebrate New Year's Eve in peace with her Wannie.

 

The elevator doors opened and the Tmark Hotel security parted the crowd and forcefully yanked Seungri away from the DJ booth and said in a stern voice to his friends to leave or be escorted out. Seungri was dragged into the elevator as Daesung, Taeyang, G-dragon, and T.O.P. hid in the shadows as they quietly slinked back into the penthouse. 

 

Seconds later the elevator doors opened and Junhyung appeared with his friends Lee Gikwang and Jang Hyunseung, they were stumbling as they approached the bar. Joohyun faced the group but Seungwan had her back to them. Joohyun looked at Seungwan and said, "Why don't we call an Uber back to the condo and celebrate while drinking champagne? What do you say?" 

 

"I like that idea," Seungwan said as she pecked Joohyun's lips. They walked toward the elevators and made it to the front entrance undetected by Junhyung and his friends. The final driver for the night was a young girl who informed the couple that she only had her license for a year. Joohyun and Seungwan held the handle of the driver's side door as they made the journey home. It was smooth sailing until the radio played Shallow by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. Seungwan was sweating bullets as the driver proclaimed she loved the song and increased the volume as she drove singing along. Seungwan snuck a quick glance at Joohyun to observe her sitting with her arms crossed and her lips in a tight thin line. Seungwan gulped as she sank farther down into her seat.

 

The cheerful driver pulled up to the condo and they thanked her as they made their way to the front entrance. Seungwan followed behind Joohyun like a lost little puppy that chewed her favorite pair of shoes. She was at a lost for words on what to say or how Joohyun would react. The elevator ride was so quiet you could hear a pin drop and they stood far apart until they reached the condo. The silence was causing Seungwan's stomach to twist in knots. She couldn't take it anymore she had to say something.

 

"So the time reads it is less than 10 minutes away from midnight would you like to toast out on the balcony?" Seungwan asked trying to change the course of the conversation. Joohyun didn't make a peep instead she marched into the bedroom and returned with a pillow and blanket.

 

"What's this?" Seungwan asked as Joohyun placed the items in her arms.

 

"This is your pillow and a spare blanket for you to use while you are sleeping on the couch tonight," Joohyun said as she put her hands on her hips.

 

"Are you serious? You are still upset about that stupid duet? You would risk ruining our first holiday together? Man you are easily jealous!" Seungwan shouted as she placed the pillow at the foot of the couch and spread out the blanket.

 

"I am only doing this because you seem to ignore my intuition when I tell you that Junhyung has feelings for you and you go ahead and sing a duet with him! Leading him on!" Joohyun yelled as her chest heaved up and down.

 

"Sure whatever you say. Now if you don't mind I would like to wash up first and enjoy my view of the fireworks display from the couch," Seungwan said stomping to the bathroom and slamming the door.

 

Joohyun went to her bedroom and stayed there until Seungwan was finish. The big New Year's celebration that Joohyun and Seungwan ended in the polar opposite way they imagined it. Seungwan laying on the couch watching the fireworks through the window with tears streaming down her face. Joohyun laying in her queen size bed watching the fireworks through her window with tears streaming down her face. To think they both had the day off from the airport tomorrow and how would it be spent making up or bickering and fighting? 

 

But what both women couldn't predict or any of the employees at the Incheon International Airport is that as soon as the work day begun on Friday, January 3rd, the kitchen would suffer a blow as one of the staff members was arrested over the holiday season.