Chapter 14: Back To The Daily Grind, Part 1

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

Author's Note: I am changing the format that I am writing the story in so it is easier to read. I apologize if the previous chapters were hard to follow due to my writing style. This is my first Wenrene novel so I am learning as I go. Again thank you to the loyal readers who have subscribed and posted comments.

 

Seungwan and Joohyun spent Sunday in bed while watching some of their favorite movies on Netflix they selected Kissing Jessica Stein, Loving Annabelle, and The Third Party. Half away through Loving Annabelle, Joohyun felt a bump on her shoulder which startled her until she realized it was Seungwan dozing off. Joohyun leaned her head down and planted a kiss on Seungwan's cheek. Seungwan must have been exhausted from the two flights from the other day. Joohyun logged out of the account and shut off the TV as she leaned back into the pillows with Seungwan in her arms.

 

"Sleep tight my Wannie as I have a surprise for you when you wake up," Joohyun whispered as she Seungwan's cheek. 

 

She pulled the blankets up before she drifted to sleep happy to have her lover home again.

 

 

 

Seungri opened his eyes to reveal a blur image of his friends Daesung, T.O.P., and G-dragon immersed in a game of Dominos on top of the glass square table at the center of the living room. The group of friends spent the entire weekend at G-dragon's bachelor pad popping pills, smoking weed, and drinking hard liquior. Seungri fell asleep on the white leather loveseat in the corner of the room while his friends continued to harass each other and fill the room with smoke.

 

"Looks like sleeping beauty finally woke up," T.O.P. said while pointing in the direction of Seungri.

 

Daesung took one glance at Seungri and turned his attention back to the group as he said, "Hey guys let's go easy on him I mean it isn't his fault that his love interest prefers fish over beef!"

 

All three friends burst into laughter while looking at Seungri to see his reaction.

 

Seungri sunk farther into the chair clenching his fist while feeling as though his head was about to blow up.

 

"I mean I am no genius but if a woman constantly rejects me after I have tried to impress her than I hope I would come to my senses sooner than Seungri did," T.O.P. said as the room filled with more laughter.

 

Seungri jumped from the loveseat and stormed to the kitchen to fetch a glass of water for his throbbing head. He knew he was arrogant and had to show up his friends whenever they were together. But to discover that Joohyun "the beautiful goddess" was in love and engaged to the new Catering Chef Seungwan was heart crushing. Seungri splashed some water on his face and made his way to the foyer to retrieve his jacket.

 

"Whoa where do you think you're going!" G-dragon shouted from his spot on the couch. "Are you even capable of driving yourself home after finishing off that entire bottle of Bourbon! If you are pulled over by the police you better not mention my name or where I live or you will regret it!"

 

Seungri was fixing the collar on his jacket as he had a stern expression on his face and shouted, "Get over yourself not everything is about you! Do you think I am an idiot to narc on you to the police that you have drugs at your house! So this is what my friends really think of me! I see now I was only allowed to crash at your bachelor pad for entertainment purposes! Am I right? ....Hey guys let's have Seungri spend the weekend with us so we can mock him and laugh at him for falling in love with a lesbian! But if memory serves me right do any of you have girlfriends to brag about?....DEAD SILENCE! Just like I thought!"

 

Seungri finished the last part and turned the knob on the door as he whipped the door open and slammed it behind him.

 

G-dragon motioned to Daesung to tail Seungri in his own car as Daesung was the most sober member of the group.

 

"Do anything dumb Seungri and you will have to answer to me," G-dragon said as he slammed the domino on the table.

 

 

 

 

Seungwan was the first to wake up as she reached over to the alarm clock on the bedside table that read 6:13pm. She turned to her left to see Joohyun sleeping peacefully next to her as she stretched her arms. She heard a growl from her stomach and realized she hadn't eaten anything all day. She leaned down and placed a soft kiss on Joohyun's lips to wake her.

 

"C'mon Hyunnie it is time to get up we need to eat something before we go back to bed," Seungwan whispered as she ran her fingers through Joohyun's hair.

 

Joohyun giggled as she slowly opened her eyes and said, "I was wondering how long you were going to stay asleep."

 

"What are you talking about I woke up before you did," Seungwan said as she poked Joohyun on the tip of her nose.

 

"Wannie I have a hard time staying awake without you by my side so I decided to sleep as well," Joohyun said as she fluttered her eyelashes.

 

"So greasy," Seugnwan chuckled as she tickled Joohyun and the two continued to roll around tangled in bedsheets.

 

Joohyun was straddling Seungwan's waist as she leaned in for a long soft kiss which lead to hands roaming under sweatshirts and fingers threading through hair until they were interrupted by Joohyun's stomach growling.

 

Both women locked eyes before they burst into laughter.

 

Seungwan pulled Joohyun out of bed toward the kitchen and said, "I will make a vegetable stir-fry for us to eat and then I will give you your Christmas gift."

 

Joohyun stood in place as she whined, "But Wannie I told you not to buy me a gift because this ring was so expensive and just you living here with me is more than I can ask for." She walked to Seungwan and wrapped her in a tight hug.

 

Seungwan chuckled and said, "But sweetheart it is the holidays and we spent them apart and I thought about you non-stop while I was in Canada. I think my best friend hates me for it but she says otherwise. Besides I had to buy this gift on a shopping trip as I thought it would compliment you."

 

Joohyun picked her head up from Seungwan's chest and said, "I have a gift for you too but first show me how to make your delicious stir-fry and let's eat." Joohyun cupped Seungwan's face as she pecked her lips a couple of times before she shooed her away to the kitchen with a tap on her .

 

Seungwan was flipping the vegetables and jasmine rice as she drizzled her version of General Tso sauce. Seungwan was humming a song she wrote while she was still living in Canada. She composed it in the early stages of communication with Joohyun. She titled it What If Love and thought it would be the perfect song to sing to Joohyun at their wedding as they recited their vows.

 

Joohyun was lighting the candles on the dining room table when she heard Seungwan humming from the kitchen. She approached the entryway to the kitchen and leaned on the door frame as she watched Seungwan placing the food on two white china plates. 

 

"Is that another Sade song you were humming just now?," Joohyun askedas she eyed Seungwan from head to toe.

 

Seungwan jumped as she was so focused on cooking that she didn't see Joohyun standing there. She gulped and stuttered, "No just something I heard somewhere."

 

Joohyun gave Seungwan one last look before she said, "I can't wait to try your stir-fry the smell alone is making my stomach growl more." 

 

Seungwan took both plates and set them on the table as she pecked Joohyun on the lips before they took their seats. They were eating and sharing stories of the holidays spent apart and how family and friends reacted to their engagement.

 

Joohyun wiped with a napkin and finished chewing before she asked, "Wannie you mentioned Yoo Jung Ahn a lot as the person you saw over the holidays but what about your parents?"

 

Seungwan cleared as she smiled with tears in her eyes and said, "My parents were skiing in the Aspens for the holiday season. I called and sent text messages letting them know I was flying back to Toronto for Christmas but they claimed everything was booked through a travel agent and there was no chance they would receive a refund if they cancelled. I guess I am use to them chosing one another over me. It is one of the reasons I moved out if their house at the age of seventeen. I wanted to survive on my own without their help and I believe that upsets them that they can't keep me under their thumb. But Christmas came and went without them there so it isn't like I can change that."

 

Joohyun reached across the table and held Seungwan's hand as she rubbed small circles into her wrist and said softly, "Oh Wannie, I'm sorry I didn't mean to pry it's just except for the class ring I haven't heard you mention your parents that much. I thought maybe they were a lot more open-minded than half of the parents in Korea."

 

Seungwan wiped her eyes with the sleeve of her sweatshirt and said, "I promise you I am not hiding anything from my parents they know I am gay. But something in me says that is the reason they avoid me and besides I have lived on my own since I was a teenager."

 

Joohyun got up from her seat and knelt next to Seungwan as she placed her arms on Seungwan's legs.

 

"You are not alone anymore, I won't let you and you can always count on me to be there," Joohyun said as she Seungwan's cheek. "We should clear the table so we can exchange gifts."

 

"Okay," Seungwan whispered as Joohyun wiped her last tear away.

 

 

Seungwan lit the flame to the logs on the fireplace as she played soft music from her phone on the surround sound system. She had a small green box with a red bow on it with a red envelope tapped to it.

 

Joohyun was holding a small silver box with a gold bow tied around it and a gold envelope she held in her hand.

 

They both said in unison, "You first." They blushed at the same time as they hesitated to be the first person.

 

Joohyun stepped forward and said, "Okay in since you were so generous enough to spoil me with two beautiful diamond rings. I suppose I will give you your present first so here." She extended her arms out to place the silver box in Seungwan's hands and said softly, "Merry Christmas Wannie, I love you always." She took Seungwan's right hand and placed a gentle kiss on the back of it.

 

She blushed and smiled as she thanked Joohyun before she untied the bow and opened the box to reveal a pair of 2 carat diamond earrings shining in the light. Seungwan felt her eyes fill with water again as she pulled Joohyun close for a long kiss as she whispered, "Their beautiful, thanks Hyunnie."

 

Joohyun pulled away as she said, "Read the card also." She stood there with her arms crossed as she looked at Seungwan with hearts in her eyes.

 

"To the most caring and warm-hearted person I know I am so thankful that you came into my life. I am aware that we started dating not that long ago but I feel like I waited forever for you to come into my life and I can't wait to spend forever with you. (I know pretty cheesy right)" Seungwan laughed as tears fell from her eyes. "Merry Christmas my Wannie! Love always Your Hyunnie!" A gift card fell to the floor as Seungwan bent down to pick it up and turned the card around before saying, "What is this a $100 gift card to the NHL shop? This is too much you didn't have to." 

 

Joohyun grabbed Seungwan's hand that was holding the gift card and said, "No more objections. We love each other and we are both employed so we can spend whatever amount of money on gifts as we see fit. And I have to be honest with you Wannie, I want to keep your Maple Leafs jersey for myself to remind me how it comforted me while you were in Canada. So here is $100 to buy new Maple Leafs merchandise." Joohyun finished clapping her hands.

 

Seungwan chuckled and said, "Okay my turn I hope you like it, it isn't much." She placed the green box into Joohyun's hands as she placed a kiss on Joohyun's cheek and whispered, "Merry Christmas Hyunnie, I am so overwhelmed with joy that you agreed to be my wife. I promise to love and protect you always." Seungwan placed a kiss on Joohyun's forehead before she pulled away.

 

Joohyun untied the green bow to reveal a small pink 2oz bottle of Gucci Bloom Acqua di Fiori perfume. Joohyun turned the bottle in her hands completely speechless before she said, "Wannie this perfume alone cost close to $85! I can't accept it!" She pushed the box into Seungwan's chest.

 

Seungwan furrowed her brows as she said, "But Hyunnie what did you say about no objections? Same goes for you." Seungwan placed the box on the mantle above the fireplace and gave Joohyun the green envelope. "At least read the card," Seungwan pleaded as Joohyun took the envelope and opened it.

 

"To Hyunnie, I wish we could have spent Christmas together but now that your are going to be my wife we have many more holidays to look forward to. I loved the scent you carry of fabric softener but I thought of you when I was browsing perfume scents at Sephora. This scent would fit you perfectly I hope you love your gift as much as I love you. Merry Christmas my Baeby, your future wife Wannie." 

 

"Don't forget the gift card too," Seungwan said sheepishly while turning red.

 

Joohyun placed her hand over as tears fell from her eyes as Seungwan gave her a $150 gift card to her favorite beauty salon OHUI. Joohyun placed the card on the mantle right next to the box of perfume, she pulled Seungwan into a passionate kiss. "I love you.I love you," Joohyun repeated as they stopped to come up for air.

 

"We should probably shower and get ready for bed because we have to return to the airport tomorrow," Seungwan said as Joohyun pouted. "Don't look so disappointed c'mon I'll wash your body if you wash mine." Seungwan winked and Joohyun shook her head yes as she giggled.

 

They let the water run over their bodies as they kissed each other from head to toe and washed each other's hair. They changed into sweatshirts with swim shorts and cuddled underneath the covers exchanging stories about their grade school years until they both fell asleep.

 

 

 

 

Monday morning arrived and the kitchen of the Main Cafe at the Incheon International Airport was a chaotic one. As a result of the shutdown over the holidays the inventory orders were delayed or stopped completely. Joohyun spent the first three hours fielding phone calls from the smaller cafes requesting paper supplies and for Chef Namjoon and Seungri to increase their volume of production. She rubbed her temples in an attempt to decompress as the last phone call dealt with Cafe 11 stealing supplies from Cafe 13. 

 

"It is only Monday and I can't wait for the weekend to arrive already," Joohyun thought to herself.

 

The double doors to the loading dock  opened and a formular click of 5 inch heels could be heard echoing on the tile floor as everyone knew that Boss Chaerin was due to make an appearance as she always did after a shutdown.

 

She knocked on Joohyun's door as she turned the knob to let herself in and said, "Good morning Miss Joohyun! How is everything? Well look at what we have here I guess I don't need to ask how your time off was as I can tell from the beautiful engagement ring you are wearing! Do you have a picture of the lucky guy? A bet you two make a stunning couple, right?" 

 

Joohyun gulped as she knew her forehead was covered in sweat and she said in a low voice, "The cafes are operating accordingly with a few glitches but nothing the managers on site can't handle."

 

"Good to hear I am fully aware of the panic mode all of my employees go into after returning to work from vacation but we have been through this before so wise up I say," Boss Chaerin said with a laugh as Joohyun gave a nervous laugh in response.

 

"Oh Joohyun since you field a lot of phone calls I think you should hear this call I received shortly after I sat at my desk," Boss Chaerin said as she fought back giggling as she covered with her hand. "Listen to this strange story supposedly it is true or so says the Head of the Front Receptionist Desk at our airport."

 

Joohyun furrowed her brows as she said, " Oh okay what did they claim happened?"

 

"Apparently over the holidays there was a report filed that a sea animal was inside the airport near one of the seating areas, isn't that insane!," Boss Chaerin exclaimed ending it with a laugh and clapping her hands. "Sohee said multiple people heard the animal but no one saw it and they said it sounded like a dolphin! What in the world are people thinking bringing a dolphin into the airport! How does that happen!"

 

Joohyun turned bright red and said in a whisper, "I am pretty sure it was a child's stuffed toy."

 

"Yeah maybe that is it I mean it seems reasonable to me as I can't picture this large fish tank traveling on an airplane," Boss Chaerin said lost in thought. "Anyways enough of that let's see this dashing and handsome fiance of yours. Do you have a picture saved on your phone? Of course you do so may I see it?"

 

Joohyun's eyes were darting everywhere around her office searching for the littlest distraction when Seulgi stood in the doorway and asked Boss Chaerin to step inside her office to gave her approval of a new job posting.

 

"Another time then Miss Joohyun," Boss Chaerin said as she followed Seulgi to her office.

 

Joohyun shut the door and finally exhaled the breath she was holding in.

 

"That was so close. Boss Chaerin is going to freak out when she discovers that Seungwan, her diamond in the rough is my fiance. I am confused over which scenario she will find worse the fact that we broke the rules by working together or the fact that we are both women," Joohyun said to herself as she was clicking her pen trying to picture Boss Chaerin's reaction to both situations. "Sooner or later someone will find out." Joohyun shook those thoughts out of her head as typed the decline of sales figures from last fiscal period waiting for Boss Chaerin to exit the building.

 

Seungwan was t 4oz pieces of salmon for a luncheon in Building 4 when she found herself distracted by Nancy fidgeting everytime Seungwan made eye contact with her.

 

"Is everything alright Nancy? You seem a bit off today," Seungwan said with a look of concern.

 

"No! No! I'm fine! Never been better! How about you?" Nancy said a little jumpy.

 

"Well okay I will take your word for it," Seungwan chuckled as she went back to the task at hand.

 

Chef Namjoon's cell phone was ringing off the hook as the smaller cafes not only contacted Joohyun for requests but personally contacted him also. "Yes I understand but I am only one person. What? Yes Seungri is working with me today but the amount you are asking for is a bit outrageous. What was that? Fine whatever you say I will try my best." 

 

"Morons!" Chef Namjoon said as he ended the call. His attention was directed at Seungri as he said, "Well Seungri I hope you didn't make plans today because it looks like you and me are putting in some overtime."

 

"Just spectacular," Seungri grunted as he covered the green beans with minced garlic. When Seungri arrived to work everyone stared at him in shock as his appearance was disastrous to say the least. He had blood shot eyes as if he didn't sleep a wink the night before which he didn't as he drank away the negative thoughts of seeing Seungwan and Joohyun together. He kept debating how he was going to act cordial with the two women within close proximity of him. Seungri called Minho's office number but was told the next available appointment was next Monday as Minho was out of town. 

 

"They are so lucky but give it time and their luck will run out," Seungri thought as he smirked to himself.

 

Taehyung was standing right next to him when he saw Seungri smile and said, "What are you so happy about? Look don't take this the wrong way man but you look like today. Sorry the holidays were rough on you." Taehyung pat Seungri on his back as Seungri sneered at him.

 

"Who said my vacation was horrible? I wouldn't, I stayed at a beachhouse with my closest friends in Miami and hit all of the nightclubs. For your information the residents of Miami love me as I collected the most phone numbers out of all of my friends. If you don't believe me check my Instagram account. Besides who wants to spend the holidays here in uptight Korea when I can fly to America and meet beautiful women who are not so conservative," Seungri said as he made his way to the steamer to cook the beans. 

 

"But seriously man I saw something interesting at the airport when I landed in Seoul," Seungri said loud enough for Seungwan to hear.

 

"Oh really at this airport? Was it the dolphin everyone is talking about?" Taehyung asked.

 

"What? No! I have no idea what you are talking about but anyways I saw two females almost making out in public for everyone to see I mean they couldn't keep their hands off," Seungri said with a smirk as he noticed Seungwan's hands were shaking as she flipped through the recipe sheets on her clipboard.

 

"Stop lying this is Korea I think you misunderstand the concept of skinship," Taehyung said glancing at Seungwan hoping she wasn't taking offense to the path this conversation was heading.

 

"You weren't there to witness it with your own eyes so who are you to tell me what I saw, huh?" Seungri said as he moved closer to Taehyung as a form of intimidation.

 

"Whatever you are full of it! Fishing for comments of disgust or shock! You won't hear them from me because this isn't the 1950's like who cares if a man loves a man or a woman loves a woman. It isn't ruining your life is it?" Taehyung asked annoyed at Seungri's ignorance.

 

What Taehyung didn't realize was that it was ruining Seungri's life as he boasted to his circle of friends how he planned to ask Joohyun to be his girlfriend. He tried everything he could to woo her by inviting her to fancy parties and driving expensive sports cars to take her out on the town. But the rejections kept coming and until Chef Seungwan was employed, Seungri thought maybe Minho was cheating on his wife Sohee with Joohyun. Seungri came to that conclusion when Minho would pay his yearly visit to the main cafe and linger in Joohyun's doorway to her office and laughter and whispering could be heard throughout the kitchen. But now Seungri was aware he got it all wrong but Seungri hoped he could convince Minho to terminate both Joohyun and Seungwan when their secret is put out in the open. He will gladly both ladies off campus when that day comes giving them a piece of his mind as they leave. 

 

"But until then I have to suffer another week of ridicule from friends and coworkers! Bastards!," Seungri said as he made his way to the cafe for a glass of water.

 

Hyebin was arranging the cherry tomatoes on the tossed salad when she noticed Nancy spacing out. She snapped her fingers and waved her hand in front of Nancy's face and said, "Earth to Nancy! Are you awake in there?"

 

Nancy blinked a few times before she swatted Hyebin's hand away and said, "Yes I am awake! Don't be rude!"

 

Hyebin laughed as she said, "I am not being rude your mind was somewhere else and here I am doing all of the work."

 

"Sorry I....." Nancy started her sentence but lost track of what she wanted to say as Miss Joohyun exited her office and went into Seulgi's office with a stack of papers.

 

"You were saying?" Hyebin asked giving Nancy a confused look.

 

"Oh I forgot anyways I will head over to Building 4 to set the linen tablecloths on the tables so see you around," Nancy said as she quickly hurried out of the swinging door.

 

Joohyun shut the door to Seulgi's office after she left it and took a quick glance at Seungwan who was whisking a lemon and butter marinate for the salmon in a mixing bowl. A loving smile formed on her face but as soon as it appeared it quickly disappeared as Seungri came through the swinging door with a stern expression on his face. He lowered his eyes as he walked right pass Seungwan which Joohyun chalked up to jealously. The upper management were praising and congratulating Seungwan on her work performance and culinary skills. 

 

Seungri use to be the recipient of such accolades but management has discarded from recognizing his ability to complete his tasks in an efficient way due to his negative attitude. Boss Chaerin had a discussion with Seulgi about the write up she gave Seungri and Seulgi secretly recorded their conversation on her laptop and played it for Boss Chaerin in her office. Boss Chaerin was disgusted by what she heard but knew if she were to bring it to Minho that his "golden boy" behaved like this she could be out of a job. She allowed an employee to record a coworker without their permission beforehand and every employee had the right to refuse to sign a write up. In the end Minho would say, "Boys will be boys." 

 

Boss Chaerin took it upon herself to schedule a one on one meeting with Seungri in the future like an intervention. If he continued to conduct himself in this disgraceful behavior then Boss Chaerin would have no other avenue be to sever ties with him and she was well aware of his obsession with Miss Joohyun.

 

"I know you think you can't trust me Joohyun but I am on your side and I want to see you live that happy ever after you are planning," Boss Chaerin said as she typed away at her computer waiting for another outlandish phone call to make it's way to her voicemail.