Chapter 5: Waiting To Know You

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

It was 10:30pm by the time Seungwan arrived home after completing a pretty lackluster shift at George's Restaurant with no huge catering requests for the week, Seungwan had plenty of spare time at work. She kept her phone with her just this one time hoping that Irene would message her back, to no such luck.

 

As she walk from the restaurant to her apartment all of these thoughts ran in her head like "Were my pictures too flashy? Was my description of myself too dull? Maybe I shouldn't included that gym selfie? Yeah that's it the selfie was a mistake."

 

But as Seungwan turned the key to open her apartment door it dawned on her that it was late morning in Seoul.

 

"Maybe Irene is very busy with her work at Kompass because it is a huge company so she probably hasn't had the chance to read my message yet. I hope that is the case or I will move on to someone else because she clearly isn't interested in me." Seungwan concluded with a sigh.

 

As Seungwan and Yoo Jung Ahn were cleaning up the coffee shop that afternoon, they were discussing the possibility of finding love through the Love Without Borders app. Seungwan let Yoo Jung Ahn read her message to Irene not only to show her that she sent one but to get her approval. Yoo Jung Ahn could not have been more proud of her best friend for taking a leap of faith and over time putting her recent relationship behind her. Besides Yoo Jung Ahn thought if Seungwan makes a connection with Irene then Seungwan will forever be indebted to her for convincing her to give the app a try.

 

Yoo Jung Ahn said to Seungwan, "If I were you I would keep my phone glued to my side so you don't miss her message."

 

Seungwan shakes her head yes as a reply.

 

"You should also keep it with you just in case Cee Cee tries to reach out again," Yoo Jung Ahn said while breaking into laughter.

 

Seungwan playfully squirted some of the flavor syrup in the direction of Yoo Jung Ahn from the condiment station that she was refilling.

 

"I am sorry but you will never live that down but I hope that you hear a reply sometime this week or even before you move to South Korea." Yoo Jung Ahn said with a reassuring smile.

 

"Yeah the permanent relocation is still an idea I mean nothing is set in stone yet," Seungwan said sheepishly.

 

"Well wherever you decide to live my only wish is that you find love and happiness." Yoo Jung Ahn said as she put her arm around Seungwan's shoulder and gave it a light squeeze.

 

"Me too," Seungwan said in a low voice as the friends closed the coffee shop for the day and went their separate ways.

 

 

 

It was 11:30am at the main cafeteria, it was 30 minutes into the lunch hour and to say the atmosphere was chaotic is an understatement. Bom, the Cashier Manager had to assist at one of the smaller cafeterias throughout the airport so her Lead Cashier Joy was in charge. Joy couldn't catch a break at her register people kept coming and coming so Joy went to Joohyun and Seulgi for help complaining about the customers were using $20 to pay for their food and not having enough change in her cash drawer.

 

Yoongi, the lunch cook was mobbed at the grill and had a hard time restocking the burgers, hot dogs, French fries, and onion rings that were selling out. But in all of the chaos Joohyun was able to breathe a sigh of relief because the food on the Market Bar was running out. She didn't take pleasure in Namjoon rushing around but that also meant that Seungri was busy too.

 

Especially today of all days Seungri didn't pay Joohyun any attention, he was stuck at his work table from the moment she clocked in. She couldn't help but feel a weight was lifted off of her shoulders even if it was for one day she would take it. She loved the cream colored pencil thin skirt she owned and that she wore today but the last time she wore it to work she overheard Seungri say to Namjoon, "Looks like someone isn't on the rag."

 

Joohyun shuddered at the thought of Seungri imagining her for his pleausre. Joohyun was willing to turn a blind eye at the daily harassment but if it persisted then she would have no other option than to file a report with Seulgi.

 

Joohyun chuckled to herself while sitting at her desk thinking, "But here I am on a dating app receiving somewhat obscene messages from strangers that I could report to the person in charge of the app but I won't."

 

She was about to pulled out her phone to look at her inbox when the loading dock doors opened to the sound of heels clicking and mumbled conversation was heard. Joohyun threw her phone in her purse and went to the door of her office to see the sight she hoped not to see.

 

There in a skin tight pant suit was the Lead Director of Kompass herself, Chaerin or CL as the kitchen staff referred to her.

 

Joy walked through the swinging door to the kitchen saw CL, said "Oh the baddest female is here," and hastily her heel and ran back to the front of the house.

 

Seulgi was walking out of her office with a stack of papers in her arms when she saw CL the papers flew from shock and decorated the floor like confetti.

 

Namjoon and Seungri took one peek from behind the wall of their work area and slowly slid out of view from CL.

 

Joohyun made sure that her office door was  open no more than a crack after she witnessed all of the communion from CL's presence in the kitchen.

 

Just as Joohyun was about to sit back down she heard the double doors open again and knew that it was Yeri, the Marketing Manager. Some of her colleagues joked that wherever CL went Yeri was right behind her up even giving her the nickname "CL's third cheek."

 

But Joohyun admired Yeri for being so young and carrying the title of Marketing Manager for a huge company I guess you can say Joohyun felt a maternal instinct to Yeri. Joohyun knew the rumors were started by jealous coworkers who held a vendetta against Yeri for being  passed over for that position. Joohyun decided to leave her office and greet Yeri along with CL. Might as well swallow your poison she thought to herself because of the state of the kitchen CL was going to flip out.

 

"Hi Yeri! How is everything?" Joohyun said a little too cheerful.

 

Yeri smiled and put her arm over Joohyun's shoulders while saying, "Pretty good. Everything alright around here?"

 

"Not too bad but could be better," Joohyun replied while glaring at Seungri.

 

Seungri was standing at his work table with his head down chopping the same 4 ounces of parsley while beads of sweat appeared on his forehead.

 

If there was one thing that gave Joohyun confidence at work, it was that when the Head Managers with Kompass took the time to tour the kitchen the staff especially Seungri started to shake like a leaf while they worked.

 

Joohyun smirked and returned her attention to Yeri.

 

"So is there any word on whether we are getting closer to filling the position of Catering Chef." Yeri put her hand on her chin as if she was concentrating.

 

"As of this moment we are still taking applications but I hope to have good news for you soon. I am aware of the many catering requests for the next few weeks. Don't be discouraged Joohyun we will find a worthy candidate before you know it."

 

"I have faith in your decision making Yeri, it is just the realization that this kitchen will be understaffed for quite some time going forward." Joohyun said with a sigh.

 

"Yeah that is sadly the truth but on a lighter note, do you want to join me for drinks tonight?" Yeri asked with a big smile on her face.

 

Joohyun laughed and said, "Sure."

 

 

 

CL ran her finger across the surface of one of the work tables that Seungri happen to be working at today.

 

"Ewww when was the last time this table was wiped down before using and don't bother to lie to me because I will find out." CL said in a slow tone while leaning over Seungri as she said it.

 

"I..I...I..I swear I wiped it before I started to work on it this morning," Seungri stuttered.

 

"Umm I hope no pray that you are not lying to me because there will be consequences if you are. If I were you I would make sure that you kept your nose clean because I know things about you that you think I don't know."

 

CL finished as Seungri turned red as he always did when he was trying to hold in his anger. CL went to Namjoon's table next and observed his technique of  pouring BBQ sauce over the 6 ounce chicken s and placed them back in the oven for farther preparation.

 

"I want to apologize for the fact that someone as talented as you has to work in such harsh conditions. But I promise you I am trying my best to fill every vacant position that there is within Kompass," CL said with a slight tilt of her head.

 

Namjoon smiled and said, "Boss Chaerin you are not at fault for lack of staff it solely is up to the employee to show up for work. I mean what kitchen doesn't have a high turnover rate, every kitchen does."

 

"Thank you for not only being understanding but I promise to instill the glory this kitchen once held," CL said confidently.

 

"A little too triumphant don't you think," Namjoon joked and they both burst into laughter. Joy was standing in the doorway ready to ask for Seulgi or Joohyun's assistance out front when she witnessed the exchange between CL and Namjoon.

 

She said in a low voice, "What K-drama is this?"

 

 

 

It was a nice clear day to have her lunch break outside again Joohyun thought after all of the madness died down in the kitchen. It wasn't until CL and Yeri came to the conclusion that the kitchen staff was coping with a huge amount of stress day to day and managing under not desirable work environment. CL and Yeri approached each employee and reassured them that change will happen and for them to not give up. With that last statement, CL and Yeri excused themselves to tour one of the smaller cafeterias.

 

"We will see I guess," Joohyun smirked to herself. She packed a lunch bag today that contained a cobb salad, bottle water, crackers, and a banana. She was in the middle of eating her salad when she remember she had messages to view on the dating app. Joohyun searched in her purse for her phone after she found it she turned it on and immediately logged onto the app. Her inbox now read 120 unread messages.

 

Her shoulders dipped as she let out a sigh. "Plenty of erts on every continent I guess," she said to herself hoping she was wrong.

 

The first unread message was that brown hair blue eyed female from Quebec again another "Hey" was sent.

 

"Seriously I don't have time for her to clam up and run away every time I try to message her back." Joohyun ed to herself.

 

She even wondered why this young lady was even registered on the app, she was too skittish it seem to speak to anyone. Joohyun saw that the next message was from another female in Canada but from Toronto.

 

"Great will she even speak to me or will she be like the other one?" Joohyun thought.

 

But instead of dismissing this chance to reply, she took the opportunity to click on the message and read what it said. Her name was Wendy and her age was 26 she held 2 jobs and from the photos she posted it seemed she never missed an opportunity to try something new. Bungee jumping, skydiving, and parasailing all completed within months of each other said the caption below the photos. Joohyun was perplexed to find this outgoing adventurous woman wants to speak to her. Joohyun is a homebody who likes to do laundry and only leaves the condo under Seulgi's urging. What could Joohyun have in common with such a vibrant person? Before Joohyun jumped to any conclusions she read Wendy's message it said that she likes road trips and occasionally if Joohyun found Wendy's profile appealing that she should message her back. Joohyun noticed the green dot by Wendy's profile, that meant she was online right now. Joohyun checked the time on her Chanel wristwatch that her parents gave her for Christmas.

 

"12:30pm here so let me Google the time in Toronto," Joohyun said as she minimize the tab for the app and typed in her search bar on her phone.

 

"Okay 11:30pm there Wednesday close to midnight but she is logged on." Joohyun said hopefully. She enlarged the tab for the app on her phone and typed a short reply hoping to not miss a chance to speak to her.

 

"Hi, I know we live in different time zones but I am interested in speaking with you. Most people don't bother to read my profile if you did like you said then prove it and message me back. Btw the way my name is Joohyun, not Irene." 

 

 

 

Seungwan was strumming away on her guitar when her phone ding with a new message for her inbox.

 

"Yoo Jung Ahn is going to torture me more if it is a 3rd message from Cee Cee," Seungwan groaned while picking up her phone.

 

Seungwan isn't a night owl or an insomniac, sometimes after both jobs are complete for the day, Seungwan is out like a log. But this dating app had her mind racing especially if Irene messaged her back. Seungwan could not believe her eyes when she saw that it was in fact Irene that messaged her back. Seungwan opened the message and read it her heart fluttered and Irene well now she knows it's Joohyun.

 

(Joohyun such a pretty name, Seungwan gushed) The green dot was by her profile "She's online right now," Seungwan exclaimed fumbling her phone.

 

She reread the message, " So she doesn't believe that I read her profile and wants me to respond or she will think I am lying to her. Okay I will except the challenge." Seungwan said smiling.

 

"So how long have you been employed with Kompass?" Seungwan typed and sat back to see if Joohyun would reply.

 

"3 years" came the response.

 

"How long have you been working as a Chef? And that looks like a fancy restaurant you are standing in front of in that one picture." Came the next question from Joohyun.

 

"Almost 2 years and my job title is Catering Chef which I have a culinary degree for," Seungwan quipped back.

 

"What a small world it is because Kompass is looking for a Catering Chef at our location at the Incheon International Airport. Do you want me to put in a good word for you?" Joohyun replied

 

"I thought you wanted to date me not offer me a job," Seungwan was laughing while typing, she never thought that she could enjoy a conversation with anyone on the app.

 

"Who said we are going to date each other? Can we at least talk first and see where it goes from there?" Joohyun smirked to herself because she liked teasing Seungwan.

 

"Yeah of course whatever you say I hope we keep in touch because I like speaking to you but it is late here and I have to turn in. Can I message you tomorrow at 6:15am after my morning exercise?" Seungwan hoped that she wasn't too bold in asking.

 

"That sounds wonderful I will be home at 7:15pm." Joohyun answered feeling depressed that their conversation had to end so soon.

 

"Goodnight and talk to you soon." Seungwan sent the message before the green dot disappeared.

 

Joohyun looked down at her lunch and saw that she forgot about her salad that the flies in the area were circling her to feast on it. She can't recall the last time she was ever engross in a conversation that she avoided eating. Joohyun logged off of the app, shut her phone down and placed it in her purse before returning to her office wishing it was 7:15pm tomorrow night.

 

Seungwan put her phone on the charger by the nightstand her eyes feeling heavy now. One thing was for sure that tomorrow Seungwan was going to log back into her account with FindJobs.com and look for open positions in Korea.