Chapter 13: Taking In Your Surroundings

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

Joohyun opened her tired eyes to the faint hint of sunlight, she turned over to look at the alarm clock on her night stand which read 6:30am.

 

She groaned as she buried her face in her pillow as she felt groggy but she knew she wouldn't be able to sleep.

 

Since her and Seungwan started living together and sharing the same bed, Joohyun grew accustom to sleeping in Seungwan's arms every night. She felt this warmth and protection that radiated from Seungwan and she believed she wouldn't be able to sleep without it.

 

While she was visiting her parents in Daegu she often woke most mornings with dark circles under her eyes and her hair a mess. Her mother was rattled with worry about Joohyun's appearance suggested she should not be so attached to Seungwan and planned outings they could do together to distract Joohyun.

 

But as they went to the small eateries in town, Joohyun would see something she thought Seungwan would like to try or mentioned she had before. Joohyun's mother wasn't the type of person to lose her patience but as the return date to Seoul was approaching she was more than willing to send her daughter back home to her new life and love.

 

 

 

Joohyun kicked the blankets off and made her way to the kitchen to boil some water for a cup of green tea with honey. She was aware she had trouble sleeping without Seungwan by her side but all of that was going to change by tonight when Seungwan's plane lands in Seoul. 

 

Joohyun looked at her engagement ring and pondered all of the future family gatherings they would spend together now that they were a couple.

 

"I know one thing for sure is I don't ever want to spend Christmas without her," Joohyun said as she took a sip from her mug.

 

Joohyun winced from the sting felt on her tongue from the scorching hot water. She set the mug on the marble counter top as she thought to let it cool down as she went to the cabinet below the toaster and fetch a frying pan to cook an omelet for breakfast. She reached for a green cutting board on the shelf above the spices and started chopping bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and yellow onions. She sprayed the pan with cooking spray and added the vegetables as she cracked two eggs and whisk them in a mixing bowl.

 

When the vegetables appeared to have a hint of brown, she added the eggs and sprinkled some shredded cheddar cheese. Joohyun took a metal spatula and flipped the omelet a couple of times until the eggs weren't runny anymore. She placed the omelet on her plate and smiled thinking to herself how Seungwan taught her how to cook one. She surprised herself at what a good job she did because all throughout Seungwan's lesson Joohyun kept pecking her cheeks and tightening her hold around her waist while backhugging her.

 

Joohyun took a picture and saved it in her phone to show Seungwan later. Seungwan had a long day of travel ahead so Joohyun had to restrict herself from calling or texting Seungwan's phone to see how many hours she had left to travel before she arrived in Seoul. 

 

"I miss you Wannie, I can't wait to see you tonight," Joohyun said as she scrolled through the photos of her and Seungwan in her photo gallery.

 

 

 

Seungwan's flight was scheduled to land at the Incheon International Airport at 6:40pm but Joohyun was waiting at Gate H12 30 minutes early. She kept her mind occupied for the day by cleaning the condo from washing and placing new bedsheets on the bed to scrubbing the kitchen and bathroom from floor to ceiling.

 

She also paid a visit to the grocery store to stock up on some food items they ran out of while they were both out of town. Joohyun planned to stay in all weekend keeping Seungwan  to herself.

 

Joohyun reached into her front jean pocket when she heard her phone ding, it was a message from Seungwan that read, "15 minutes away from touching down in Seoul. Can't wait to see you and my Gate is H12 if you haven't see it already."

 

Joohyun grinned as she typed back, "Already at your gate waiting for you 😘."

 

Seungwan blushed as she read the message she was relieved to be back home and more importantly returning to Joohyun.

 

She was hit with a small amount of guilt for spoiling the holiday spent with Yoo Jung Ahn by constantly bringing up Joohyun's name in every conversation. Yoo Jung Ahn didn't seem to mind or so she said but Seungwan knew she was a changed person, a person in love.

 

As Seungwan made her way up the slope to the door to the seating area she thought of how this was the first holiday season her parents didn't take the initiative to see her. She texted them that she was in town and they heard about it from family and friends. Seungwan wanted to tell her parents in person that she is engaged to get married but they made themselves scarce by booking a last minute vacation to go skiing in the Aspens.

 

 "They want to ignore me than fine I will return the same treatment," Seungwan thought to herself.

 

She shook her head in an attempt to push those negative thoughts aside because when she would walk through that doorway the most generous, gorgeous, and caring person she knows will be there welcoming her with open arms.

 

 

 

Joohyun wore an oversized white button-up dress shirt, blue jeans, white tennis shoes, and her hair was styled into a fishtail braid. Seungwan wore a beige crochet sweater, black tank top underneath, black jeans, black 4 inch heel boots, and her hair was styled into a bun.

 

Joohyun let out her dolphin shriek when Seungwan walked through the doorway.

 

The people sitting in the surrounding areas turned to look at who or what made that sound.

 

Just then an announcement was heard on the overhead speakers saying, "Animals are prohibited from entering the airport unless restrained by a leash or contained in a carrier. The staff at Incheon International Airport thanks you for your cooperation."

 

Joohyun grinned with her arms crossed as she made her way over to Seungwan. "Was everyone excited to see you back in Toronto?" Joohyun said as she linked both of her arms around Seungwan's right arm.

 

"Yeah it was nice to take part in the same holiday traditions every year but it is even better to be home," Seungwan said with a smile as she caressed Joohyun's cheek.

 

Joohyun blushed and looked to the floor.

 

"So what are the plans for tonight? Should we stay in?" Seungwan said while rubbing Joohyun's arm as Joohyun loosen her grip on Seungwan.

 

"Well I spoke to Joy earlier today and she invited us to join her and Taehyung for a night of clubbing! If you feel jetlagged I can call her back to cancel," Joohyun said searching Seungwan's face for a reaction.

 

Seungwan laughed and said, "Of course we can go I want to blow off some steam and have fun."

 

Joohyun smiled and kissed Seungwan's cheek, she was also looking forward to a night out. Seungwan and Joohyun were walking arm in arm while laughing and throwing each other loving looks.

 

What they weren't aware of is that they were in Korea not Canada besides half of the kitchen staff booked flights to travel out of the country so you never know who you would run into at the airport. Seungwan and Joohyun were in their own little world when they passed Gate M9 where Seungri and his guy friends Daesung, Taeyang, T.O.P., and G-dragon just landed spending the holiday in Miami. 

 

Every Christmas the guys rented a beachhouse and spent the trip jetskiing, bar hopping, surfing, and consuming a lot of alcohol. They were pretty exhausted when their plane landed in Seoul and they wanted to skip the baggage claim so they condensed as many items as they could for carry-on luggage. Daesung let the duffel bag he over packed fall to the floor as he was trying to catch his breath. When he picked his head up he noticed two attractive women walking by arm in arm staring at each other oddly.

 

Daesung hit Seungri in the arm to get his attention and said, "Doesn't the chick in the white shirt look familiar? Does she work with you? Didn't you show us her picture before? Who is the other chick and why are they acting all lovey-dovey?"

 

Seungri's face turned red and he was clenching his fists at his sides as he watched Seungwan and Joohyun walk past him without a care in the world.

 

G-dragon came up behind Seungri and slapped him on the back and said, "Hey man weren't you like obsessed with her? Too bad she is a rug muncher!"

 

The group of friends burst into laughter and were exchanging high-fives.

 

Taeyang approached Seungri and said, "Look on the brightside they might agree to a ? Never hurts to ask?"

 

The group of friends laughed some more that is except Seungri.

 

He could feel the rage building within him, he hated looking like a fool in front of his friends. He spent all vacation showing them up by collecting the most phone numbers from women they ran into at the bars. He couldn't believe back in his homeland he had to feel like a loser. Seungri thought back to the incident where he was called to Seulgi's office and spotted Seungwan exiting Joohyun's office flustered.

 

"Wait until Boss Chaerin hears about this no better yet Minho since he thinks so highly of the incredible new Catering Chef...Chef Seungwan...ha," Seungri thought to himself with a smug smile on his face.

 

"Sorry Miss Joohyun but your days are numbered also as you are well aware of the no dating while working for Kompass rule. Well now I know who her fiance is but does it matter they can't get married in Korea. Looks like Miss Joohyun's happy ending isn't going to happen. She should have stuck with men," Seungri finished his last thought as he followed his friends out of the airport.

 

 

 

 

"So did Joy mention the name of the nightclub we are going to?" Seungwan asked in between placing kisses all over Joohyun's neck as they showered together.

 

"Mmmm I think she said the name of the club was Queen and it is a gay nightclub so we can be all over each other without feeling judged," Joohyun said with her eyes closed enjoying the feeling of Seungwan's lips on her body.

 

Seungwan stopped kissing Joohyun and cupped her face in her hands and said, "It wouldn't bother me if we had a thousand pairs of eyes watching us. That won't stop me from showing everyone that you belong to me."

 

Seungwan pulled Joohyun's face close and planted a long soft kiss on her lips.

 

They were letting their hands roam over each other's bodies and before Joohyun pulled away and said, "We should finish up and put some clothes on. I don't want Joy to regret inviting us out."

 

Seungwan stole another kiss and said, "Okay let's get ready."

 

Seungwan shut off the water and stepped out of the shower and reached through the curtain to hand Joohyun a towel.

 

Joohyun and Seungwan were drying each other off when Joohyun's phone ding with a message from Joy.

 

"Taehyung and I are planning on getting wasted tonight. We are on vacation so why not? But anyways would you like to split the amount to pay for an Uber to pick us up? They will stop by my apartment and swing over to your place before heading to the nightclub. What do you think? The driver available in my area drives a 2010 Kia Sedona? What kind of car is that I am not familiar with car types?" Joohyun snickered as her read the message knowing how feminine Joy was.

 

A few seconds later Joohyun's phone ding and it was Joy again, "Oh I found out Taehyung told me it is a minivan well that with fit all of us so I will book it so be ready in an hour."😉

 

Joohyun typed back that her and Seungwan agreed to everything Joy planned and Joohyun included the address of her building. Seungwan was blow drying her hair as Joohyun walked up behind her and backhugged her as they were still wearing towels, Seungwan shut off the hairdryer. L

Joohyun placed her head on Seungwan's shoulder and said, "I never imagined how empty my bed could feel without you in it. Take me with you next time. I can't stand to be separated from you."

 

Seungwan spun around placed her hands on Joohyun's shoulders and said, "So that's why you are so touchy right now. Maybe I should leave for Toronto more often if it means you can't keep your hands off of me."

 

Seungwan laughed as she held Joohyun by the wrists as Joohyun attempted to hit her playfully.

 

Seungwan went to the closet to select an outfit for tonight, she thought if they were going to dance then she might as well be comfortable. She chose a pink and white tye dye crop top, jeans with pink on the back, and white tennis shoes.

 

Joohyun chose a white halter top, white mini skirt, and white tennis shoes. Joohyun styled her hair in a high ponytail and showcased her bangs.

 

"I didn't know you had bangs?" Seungwan asked surprised as Joohyun was adjusting them through the mirror.

 

"I usually style them with certain outfits," Joohyun said as she lightly slapped Seungwan's .

 

"Now c'mon let's wait outside for our ride," Joohyun said as she threw her lip liner into her white handbag. 

 

 

 

Joohyun and Seungwan were standing outside of the building for 10 minutes as a blue minivan pulled up and the sliding door in the back opened. Joy was wearing a navy blue sequin top, black dress pants, black 4 inch heel boots, and red gloves that went to her elbows.

 

Joohyun giggled and asked, "Joy what's with the red gloves?"

 

Joy looked at her gloves and said, "I decided to give my outfit a little extra flash besides these nightclubs around Seoul are so filthy. I don't want to catch anything."

 

Joohyun nodded in response and whispered, "Okay."

 

Taehyung was sitting right next to Joy with his newly dyed blue hair.

 

"Tsk tsk," Joohyun thought as she recalled the employee handbook rule with Kompass about outrageous hair colors. She decided not to be a prude for the night and let Chef Namjoon handle it when everyone returns from vacation.

 

"Taehyung might wash it out by then," Joohyun thought.

 

Joy turned to Seungwan and Joohyun who were seated in the last row and whispered, "This driver has good reviews but she seems a little strange but it only is a 20 minute drive to Queen so we will be there before you know it."

 

Seungwan and Joohyun nodded as they leaned back in their seats.

 

"Hey everyone! I am your driver tonight my name is Chan-nee and I will take you to your destination tonight," she said as she adjust the rearview mirror to get a good look at everyone.

 

"Wow are you all supermodels or something? I mean you are all gorgeous! I feel so out of place here. But whatever forgive me for rambling. The two ladies in the back be careful where you sit I know it is dark back there and my cat vomited on one of the seats in that row. Which one was it again? I forget!"

 

Seungwan and Joohyun jumped while checking their clothes for vomit stains.

 

"I wiped it up as best as I could," Chan-nee said turning her attention back to the traffic in front of her.

 

"Who drives around with a cat in the backseat? She is really strange!" Seungwan said examining her shirt and jeans one more time.

 

The minivan came to a screeching halt to the entrance of Queen, Chan-nee leaned over the passenger seat to look out the window examining the exterior of the club.

 

"This looks like a nice place to party," she said as Joy, Taehyung, Joohyun, and Seungwan were exiting the vehicle.

 

"I wish my friends would take me to cool nightclubs," Chan-nee whined as she stared at the four friends.

 

Joy cleared and said, "So the amount I owe will be deposited through the app, thank you again."

 

Joy shut the sliding door not waiting for the minivan to pull away.

 

"Hey honey I think she wanted to join us," Taehyung said while laughing and wrapping his arm around Joy.

 

"Shut up! She came highly recommended! I guess for next time I shouldn't trust the reviews," Joy said as she brushed Taehyung's arm away and walked into the nightclub.

 

Seungwan and Joohyun were denied access to enter the nightclub as the doorman thought they were using fake IDs to get in.

 

Joy stepped forward and said to the doorman, "They are with me and yes they are both over the age of 21."

 

The doorman took a second glance at the IDs and stepped aside to let the women pass.

 

"C'mon shorties let's dance!" Joy shouted over the throbbing bass and colorful lights flashing all over the nightclub.

 

Taehyung found a small round high top table with four stools, he perched on one of the stools and pulled the others close to him so no one would claim them. Taehyung was wearing a white, yellow, and black wind breaker jacket, black wind breaker pants, white Fila sneakers, and had a silver long dangly earring hanging from his left ear. He wasn't very talkative and Seungwan and Joohyun were concerned that he wanted to be any place but here.

 

The bartender approached their table and placed a martini with 3 olives in front of Taehyung and said, "The guy who bought this said he will be in the restroom waiting for you. Oh and he has pink spiked hair."

 

Taehyung couldn't believe what he just heard as he pushed the martini away. It really didn't come as a surprise to him because Queen catered to gay men after all.

 

Joy, Seungwan, and Joohyun were huddled into a corner on the dance floor when Taehyung signaled them to make their way to the bar so he could order their drinks for them. Seungwan and Joohyun protested but Taehyung was insistence on treating them as Joy was slurping her  on the Beach cocktail. Seungwan had a Pina Colada and Joohyun had a strawberry Daiquiri. Taehyung ordered a coke and rum and they all knocked their glasses together to toast a night out.

 

They were standing by the table sipping their cocktails when the music changed and Hurtin' Me by Stefflon Don started playing.

 

Seungwan made her way to the center of the dance floor and put her hands on her hips and starting shaking her hips from side to side. All Joohyun saw was Seungwan's pink moving side to side so she approached Seungwan from behind and placed her hands on Seungwan's hips as she pressed her body against Seungwan's back.

 

They stayed like that for the next 3 songs but as Poker Face by Lady Gaga played Seungwan turned to face Joohyun and they were jumping and vogueing all over the club.

 

Taehyung left his stool and pulled Joy close to him as they swayed to the music as Joy sipped her third cocktail. It was around 2am when the second Uber pulled up to the curb and Joy, Taehyung, Seungwan, and Joohyun made their way into a 2008 silver Lincoln Navigator. 

 

The driver was a heavy set middle aged man with a army crew cut, he had a stern look on his face and he took one last look at the nightclub in disgust before driving away. The car ride to both apartment buildings was awkward, everyone sat stiff and didn't utter a word.

 

Seungwan and Joohyun were the last to be dropped off and as they exited the car they thanked the angry looking man who said nothing but whose eyes followed them to the front entrance of the building. Seungwan and Joohyun ran into the building as fast as they could even banging on the buttons to the elevator. Once they were safely inside the elevator they faced each other and burst into laughter.

 

"What was that guy's problem? Did he want to murder us?" Seungwan said kneeling over while catching her breath.

 

Joohyun placed a hand on Seungwan's back and said, "Remind me next time to book the Uber drivers instead of Joy. I don't know what she was thinking? How can you have two horrible drivers in one night?"

 

Seungwan and Joohyun looked at each other and laughed some more as they stumbled out of the elevator. They stopped in front of the door to the condo as Joohyun fished her keys from her handbag.

 

"I had such a great time tonight but now I think I need a glass of water and ibuprofen," Joohyun said leaning into Seungwan.

 

"I am right there with you," Seungwan said as she wrapped her arm around Joohyun's waist.

 

They took a pill, drank a glass of water, washed the make-up off their face, and changed into sleepwear before they crawled into bed. Seungwan laid on her back and pulled Joohyun on top of her as Joohyun nuzzled her nose in the crook of Seungwan's neck.

 

"Goodnight my Hyunnie. I hope you can sleep now," Seungwan said as she kissed Joohyun's forehead and switched off the bedside lamp.

 

 

 

The next day was Saturday and Seungwan and Joohyun woke to find it was raining and would continue throughout the rest of the day. Joohyun wanted to stay in bed all day but she received a text message from Seulgi on Thursday when Joohyun arrived back in Seoul, that Seulgi and Jimin returned from their honeymoon. Seulgi wanted to spend time with Joohyun and Seungwan today to show them her pictures from her honeymoon.

 

Seulgi wanted to spend the day at the Times Square Mall and she wanted to eat lunch at one of the noodle restaurants in the mall. Seulgi planned for today to be a couples day for her and her best friend she would bring Jimin along and Joohyun would bring Seungwan.

 

Joohyun would gladly retire the "third wheel" title she carried around whenever she tagged along on an outing with Seulgi and Jimin. They would reassure her that she wasn't an inconvenience but she was no stranger to people feeling pity for the lonely pretty girl.

 

The forecast called for a high in temperature to be 59 degrees and Joohyun shivered at the thought. Joohyun wore her hair down, Seungwan's Champion sweatshirt, jeans, and low cut Converse All-star sneakers. Seungwan chose a white turtleneck sweater, navy blue jeans, and white Nike Cross Trainer sneakers.

 

At around 12:15pm they made their way to Joohyun's car, Joohyun wearing a black pea coat while Seungwan wore a sand colored trench coat. Joohyun parked the car in the parking lot as they made their way to the entrance of the mall. Joohyun was shivering and her teeth were chattering for the entire walk across the parking lot.

 

"This weather isn't that bad I mean it is December after all," Seungwan said as she stood close to Joohyun holding an umbrella over them.

 

"Easy for you to say you grew up in Arctic like weather," Joohyun said pulling Seungwan closer to keep her warm.

 

Seulgi and Jimin were standing inside the large glass doors and Jimin held the door open as Seungwan and Joohyun made their way inside the mall.

 

Seulgi ran up to Joohyun and hugged her and said, "Hey girl! Look at you! You look good and what is that a new ring on your finger?"

 

Seulgi took Joohyun's hand and was turning it as she was examining the ring.

 

"Wow that is beautiful! So what does this mean are the both of you like officially engaged or what?" Seulgi asked but she already knew the answer.

 

Joohyun blushed as she answered, "Yes! Seungwan proposed and I accepted over dinner at La Yeon."  

 

Seulgi looked at Jimin who shrugged and she said, "Oh dinner at La Yeon you know how to charm a woman, Seungwan."

 

Seulgi said as she side eyed Jimin.

 

Jimin shrugged his shoulders and said, "What? Are you serious? You are going to get jealous over that? We just spent our honeymoon in Australia." 

 

Jimin got close to Seungwan and whispered in her ear, "No offense Seungwan the restaurant was a very classy move but my wife tends to over dramatize certain romantic gestures if you know what I mean."

 

Seungwan shook her head and said, "I understand."

 

Seulgi cleared and said, "Well this horrible weather has made me hungry so let's find a restaurant and eat."

 

Seulgi and Jimin led the way as Seungwan and Joohyun trailed behind so Seungwan could observe all of the different stores in the mall since it was her first time there. Seulgi walked up to the podium where the hostess stood and asked how long the wait was going to be. The restaurant had a few vacant tables so the hostess directed them to one near the entrance and distributed the menus to the party of four.

 

After a night of drinking, Seungwan and Joohyun settled on water as their drink of choice. It took the kitchen staff 15 minutes to prepare their food and Jimin, Seulgi, Seungwan, and Joohyun didn't hold back from digging in when the big porcelain bowl was placed in front of them. 

 

 

 

Nancy was spending the afternoon hanging out with her friends JooE, Yeon Woo, and Ahin. Since the weather was horrible outside they decided to spent the day walking around the Times Square Mall. JooE, Ahin, and Yeon Woo were discussing new shades of eye shadow, which celebrity wore the same evening gown best, and whose YouTube channel to subscribe to.

 

Nancy was lagging behind her friends as she wasn't in the mood to interact with her friends today. She was registered on the Love Without Borders app for 5 months now and still no success. She contemplated erasing her profile and writing a new one from scratch. JooE advised to do just that as she gave her profile a once over and concluded that Nancy appeared to be a "spoiled little rich girl" to the other applicants.

 

Nancy had to agree from the messages she received in her inbox from men and women without jobs asking her to help them out. Even worse men in their 50s convinced that she had daddy issues and offering their help.

 

Nancy was deep in thought as she was walking as she pondered, "How did Miss Joohyun find her fiance in such a short amount of time and I can't find anyone! I maybe much younger but I am just as pretty as she is."

 

Nancy's thoughts were interrupted when her trio of friends stopped in front of a noodle restaurant to have lunch. As they entered the restaurant a table near the front caught Nancy's attention she thought she saw some familiar faces.

 

Nancy took a few steps closer and dropped to the floor in shock when she realized it was Miss Joohyun, Chef Seungwan, Mrs Seulgi, and Mr Jimin. Jimin and Seulgi had their backs to Nancy but Joohyun and Seungwan were facing her. She first thought Jimin and Seulgi invited Seungwan and Joohyun along as single gal pals looking for boyfriends but not from the display of affection Nancy witnessed.

 

Joohyun twisted the noodles on her chopsticks and used to blow on them to cool down. She then put the chopsticks into Seungwan's mouth and wiped any food debris on Seungwan's face with her bare hand. As soon as Seungwan finished chewing Joohyun leaned over and placed a light kiss on Seungwan's lips.

 

Nancy froze in place it all made sense now especially when Seungwan was hired as the new Catering Chef. Nancy felt she had to fight for Seungwan's attention especially when Joohyun was close by and she swore Joohyun was sending her death glares every time she got close to Seungwan.

 

"Of course she met Seungwan on the app and wait they are engaged already!" Nancy thought to herself as her friends called her over to their table.

 

Nancy spent the remainder of her time in the restaurant staring at their table until they left completely unaware of her presence. Nancy thought for a minute as she remembered there was a rule in the employee handbook forbidding relationships between coworkers.

 

"They may be management but does the same apply for Miss Joohyun and Chef Seungwan?" Nancy thought as her food was getting cold.

 

The rest of the afternoon seemed like a blur to Nancy as she battled within herself what to do about this latest discovery.

 

"I will wait to see how things are once everyone returns from vacation," Nancy thought as she and her friends made their way out of the mall.