Chapter 8: September 9th 2019

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

The wheels of an airplane slid to a halt at the Toronto Pearson International Airport at 7pm on Monday, September 9th 2019. Joohyun was awake in the 4th row from the middle section by the jolt of the plane. She managed to swallow a sleeping pill before locking her condo for the week.

 

Seulgi would stop by throughout the week to retrieve the mail and check the security system. Joohyun and Seulgi went out to dinner the night before her trip so Seulgi could wish her luck and to encourage her not to back out of the trip. Joohyun had reservations about meeting a potential love interest in a foreign country but Seungwan wiped away any doubts that Joohyun had about cancelling the visit overseas.

 

As the aisles of people sitted in front of her began descending the plane a warm smile formed on Joohyun's face knowing that Seungwan was somewhere in the airport waiting for her. She grabbed her carry-on Coach bag and matching purse and made her way to the door of the plane.

 

As she climbed the slope bridge to gate C34 where she arrived to a spacious seating area. On one side of the check-in desk she saw a woman with her back toward her with short brown shoulder length hair who was watching the TV screen that displayed the arrival and departure times of the many flights.

 

Seungwan turned around in time to see Joohyun standing there staring right at her. Seungwan started walking in that direction while Joohyun stood firm in her place looking at Seungwan with wide eyes.

 

"Hey, I am glad that your flight arrived on time," Seungwan said with a smile.

 

Joohyun let her carry-on bag fall to the floor as she pulled Seungwan into a tight hug. Seungwan was startled by Joohyun's bold act but was relieved that they didn't have to take baby steps to show PDA to one another.

 

Joohyun stayed glued to Seungwan for a few minutes before Seungwan broke the silence when she said, "Whenever you are ready we can head to the baggage claim area to find the rest of your luggage and then I rented a car for us to leave unless you want to stay here for the night."

 

Joohyun picked her head up from Seungwan's chest and chuckled before she said, "We should leave right now because I can't wait to see what you have planned for the rest of the week."

 

"Well c'mon then let's start it while we still have time," Seungwan said as she grabbed Joohyun's hand and led her to the baggage claim area.

 

As they were walking to Seungwan's silver 2013 Toyota Corolla which was rented for the week because everything she needed was within walking distance but she held onto her driver's license. Seungwan inserted the directions on the GPS app on her phone for The CN Tower. 

 

Joohyun watched Seungwan with a curious expression and asked, "Mind telling me what we will be doing at our first destination?"

 

"Well I am aware that the flight lasted 13 hours and I booked for you to travel two flights in one day, one in the morning and another in the evening," Seugan stated.

 

"I am not sure if you ate anything so I made reservations for us to enjoy dinner at The CN Tower," Seungwan exclaimed.

 

Joohyun stared at Seungwan with hearts in her eyes, "Seungwan you don't have to impress me with extravagant gestures like dinner at an upscale restaurant, I came here expecting nothing else than to spend time with you," Joohyun said while rubbing Seungwan's arm.

 

Seungwan turned red from embarrassment and from the nonstop skinship she was enduring from Joohyun. 

 

The CN Tower has 147 floors with an observation deck, Seungwan and Joohyun were escorted to their reserved seats on the 100th floor. Their seating arrangement was place close to the bar to Seungwan's dismay, she wanted to witness Joohyun's reaction to the skyline view of Toronto. Joohyun had beads of sweat coating her forehead until the hostess stopped at a table near the bar far enough from the large life threatening windows. She rehearsed by herself before she left her condo that she would conquer her fears and put on a brave face for Seungwan.

 

Seungwan surveyed the restaurant before taking a seat and said to the hostess, "That table over there is it reserved?"

 

Seungwan pointed to one situated right up against the window, Joohyun gulped and said, "I think this table is fine besides it isn't about the view and I am starving so let's eat," Joohyun said pulling Seungwan's arm to take her seat.

 

Seungnwan let out a sigh of disappointment before taking her seat while Joohyun let out a sigh of relief as her phobia of heights made their way to the surface. Joohyun glanced over the laminated menu that contained a large but expensive selection of meals and beverages to chose from.

 

She put the menu on the table as she said, "Seungwan I meant it when I said you don't have to woo me. I made the trip from Korea to see you. Didn't I?"

 

"Yeah but as your first time visiting Toronto you should see The CN Tower in person. It is a marvelous structure and the skyline view is worth a visit in itself. Don't worry about the expense of the food served here and order whatever you want. It is my treat," Seungwan said as her face lit up.

 

Joohyun felt a fluttering feeling in her stomach but replied with a small "ok."

 

 

 

Seungwan and Joohyun left The CN Tower at 9:30pm feeling a little tipsy from the 2016 Pinot Noir from the Knotty Vines Vineyards bottle that they shared during dinner. Seungwan ordered the Baby Eggplant Stuffed with Edamine, Mint, and Garlic while Joohyun settled for the Summer Cassoulet.

 

"How are you feeling? Are you tired? Maybe jetlagged? Do you want to head back to my apartment?" Seungwan said the more sober of the two as Joohyun was a light drinker.

 

Joohyun leaned into Seungwan closing her eyes and nuzzled her face into Seungwan's shoulder and slurred, "I want to go to your apartment and fall asleep in your arms."

 

"Would you like to shower first?" Seungwan asked.

 

"Can you help me with that?" Joohyun said looking at Seungwan with glassy eyes.

 

Seungwan gulped and try to clear her dry throat, "If you need my assistance that badly then I can't refuse," Seungwan replied in a shaky breath.

 

Seungwan opened the passenger's side door and held onto Joohyun's arm as she lead her down into the seat. Not even 10 minutes into the drive to Seungwan's apartment, Joohyun was fast asleep next to her. Seungwan shut off the car and turned to wake Joohyun but she caught herself staring at the movement Joohyun made as she slept. Small breathes were released and her chest heaved up and down while she lightly mumbled words Seungwan couldn't make out.

 

"Joohyun we are here," Seungwan said as she gave her a soft push.

 

"What?" Joohyun asked in confusion as her eyes stayed half lidded.

 

"We are in front of my apartment bulding. Can you make it on your own to the elevator?" Seungwan asked.

 

"Yes yes I am awake now," Joohyun said wiping her face hoping she didn't drool in front of Seungwan.

 

"I will carry your luggage, don't worry about it. C'mon let's go inside," Seungwan said as she opened the driver's side door and made her way to the trunk of the car to gather Joohyun's luggage.

 

Joohyun groggily opened her door and followed Seungwan's lead past the big wooden doors. Joohyun was slouching against the walls of the elevator when the ding sound let them know they arrived on the 36th floor. Seungwan took out her key and put it into the keyhole of apartment number 3659.

 

Seungwan flicked on the lights as they entered and Joohyun looked around in awe. In one corner of the living room sitting on a stand was a Martin GPCX2AE Macassar Acoustic Guitar and propped in the other corner was a Willaims Symphony Grand Digital Piano. As Joohyun approached the piano she noticed a notebook with hand written lyrics was placed on top of the bench. Seungwan made her way from the kitchen with a glass of water and pill in her hand.

 

"How about we trade items Joohyun? You give me the notebook and I will give you this glass of water and a pill so you won't wake up with a hangover tomorrow. Now doesn't that sound reasonable?" Seungwan asked.

 

Joohyun's mind was a foggy but she still found it adorable how Seungwan was trying to keep her innermost thoughts and songs to herself.

 

"Here I wasn't going to read it anyway besides my vision isn't too clear," Joohyun said grabbing her head.

 

Seungwan held her shoulders and said, " Do you need to vomit?"

 

"No but I need to lie down," Joohyun leaning into Seungwan feeling her embrace.

 

"If it is not too much trouble I will sleep out here on the couch," Seungwan said as she made her way to the hallway closet to grab extra blankets.

 

Joohyun quickly yanked her wrist and said, "No you won't this is your place and I didn't come all of this way to sleep alone."

 

Seungwan froze from the drunk but demanding look that took over Joohyun's face.

 

"I can't disappoint my company so we should wash up and change out of our clothes. Seungwan being the caring person she is let Joohyun use the bathroom first. As much as she wanted to shower with Joohyun her dignity got the better of her and she didn't want to complicate things by rushing into when they only spent one day together.

 

 Even though it felt as if they knew each other longer than 4 weeks by keeping in contact through FaceTime, at this moment it was the first time Seungwan and Joohyun were meeting face to face. When Seungwan exited the bathroom after changing into a oversize t-shirt and bikini style sporting the same attire as Joohyun.

 

Joohyun was already under the covers with the bedside lamp switched off. Seungwan lifted the blanket and quietly slide to her side of the bed. As soon as she made herself comfortable she felt the bed shift and Joohyun was lying on top of her. Her face buried in Seungwan's neck, her breathing tickling Seungwan's skin and her lips slightly touching her shoulder blade.

 

Seungwan's throat dried up and she wondered if she would be able to sleep tonight. A scent of lavender and lily made it's way into Seungwan's nose and something about the aroma seem to ease Seungwan into a coma like state. She thought to herself half asleep that she could get use to this.

 

 

 

The rest of the week was consumed with sightseeing activities so from Tuesday to Friday Seungwan made arrangements from late morning to late night. On Tuesday they grabbed coffee at Early Bird Espresso & Brew Bar where Yoo Jung Ahn was busy training a new employee on the cash register when Seungwan walked in hand and hand with Joohyun.

 

"Oh my gosh! Look at you two! Just picturesque and they say dating apps are a fraud!" Yoo Jung Ahn shouted.

 

Seungwan frowned and Yoo Jung Ahn said sheepishly, "What was the volume of my voice too loud?"

 

"It was but that doesn't matter. Could you do me a favor and continue to speak to us in Korean not English. Joohyun doesn't understand English very well but I will teach her someday," Seungwan said.

 

"Awww that is so cute and what a gentlewan you are!" Yoo Jung Ahn gushed.

 

"Sure whatever you say," Seungwan replied.

 

"So what kind of coffee do you drink?" Yoo Jung Ahn said in Korean.

 

"I don't drink coffee," Joohyun said shyly.

 

Seungwan perceived to rub small circles around Joohyun's hand she was holding.

 

"Well we offer a menu of a vary of beverage choices other than coffee so take your time and look around," Yoo Jung Ahn smiled and walked away.

 

"We can go somewhere else we don't have to stay here. I have to admit I wanted you to accompany me so I could show you off to Yoo Jung Ahn. She convinced me to create a profile for the app so I guess I owe her for helping me find you," Seungwan said and placed a kiss on Joohyun's cheek.

 

Joohyun took a step back and rubbed her cheek that Seungwan kissed faintly smiling.

 

"So what do you say to watching a major league baseball game at Rogers Centre?" asked Seungwan.

 

Joohyun shook her head yes and they spent the afternoon watching the Blue Jays vs the Phillies. Baseball wasn't Seungwan's favorite sport, ice hockey was like any true Canadien especially her beloved Maple Leafs.​​​​​​ Around the 7th inning when the game dragged on, Seungwan and Joohyun made an early exit. They stopped for sandwiches at a local deli near the ballpark.

 

On the ride back to her apartment Seungwan let her hand fall on her armrest as the other maneuvered the steering wheel. Joohyun took Seungwan's hand off of the armrest and held it between both of her hands. Seungwan turned and smiled at Joohyun. When Seungwan stopped the car in front of the entrance to the building, Joohyun leaned over and planted a soft but long kiss on her lips.

 

When they broke apart Seungwan exhaled a little longer and said, "Wow! That was amazing! Your lips are like pillows! I never want to let go!"

 

Joohyun laughed while holding her hand up to . "Your facial expressions are hilarious. I had to show you how much I appreciate everything that you have done for me," Joohyun said lovely caressing Seungwan's cheek.

 

"Well if you aren't too tired would you be up for a night of open mic performances? I will be the one singing, you can join me onstage, you don't have to unless you want to?" Seungwan said quietly.

 

Joohyun laughed and said, "Thanks for offering but I will pass this time because I want to cheer for you from the audience," Joohyun answered.

 

"Okay sounds good so let's change our clothes and I will grab my guitar and then we will head out," Seungwan said and gave Joohyun's hand a light squeeze.

 

In a time span of 45 minutes they were dressed and made their way to Grossman's Tavern on Spandina Ave. Since Seungwan usually relied on alcohol to calm her nerves so she called an Uber to drive them there.

 

When they walked in, they were met with the typical bar crowd, college kids, elderly regulars, truck stop ladies, and hipsters. The performer on the stage was a female college student singing Ironic by Alanis Morrisette.

 

 Seungwan rolled her eyes I mean she was going to perform covers tonight also but it seem every young female Canadien chose this song. Seungwan found a table that was in perfect view of the stage and instructed Joohyun to sit while she ran off looking for the MC of the night.

 

A few minutes passed when Joohyun heard Seungwan's name announced over the speakers. Joohyun watched as Seungwan made her way to the center of the stage and sat down on the stool. She tuned her guitar by strumming a few chords when a young thin man sat at the drum kit.

 

"I would like to dedicate this song to the Lovely Joohyun," Seungwan said first in English and then Korean.

 

The cymbal on the drum started and Seungwan played her rendition of The Sweetest Taboo by Sade. 

 

Before Joohyun came to Toronto, Seungwan spent sleepless nights translating the notes and lyrics of one of her favorite songs to Korean. Joohyun sat in awe of Seungwan's bravery to perform in front of strangers and she watched every moment Seungwan made from keeping time with her foot to closing her eyes and opening them again to concentrate.

 

After the song was finished Joohyun stood up and clapped her hands loudly and cheered.

 

"Thank you," Seungwan said as she saw how excited Joohyun was.

 

When she stepped off the stage, Joohyun ran to her and pulled her into a tight hug.

 

"What a beautiful song! How come I haven't heard it before?" Joohyun said as she furrowed her brows.

 

Seungwan took her finger and straighten Joohyun's brows and said, "That is because the singer is British and the song is sung in English. But I thought I would translate it into Korean so you would understand why I love this song."

 

"Seungwan you make me feel so special and no one has ever treated me this way," Joohyun said lovingly as they shared another long kiss.

 

"Let's get out of here," Seungwan said dragging Joohyun out of the bar.

 

 

 

The Uber was 10 minutes away but Seungwan couldn't wait that long as she placed Joohyun against the wall of the bar and they were moving their tongues around in each other's mouths. As they came up for air the Uber pulled to the curb they went inside agreeing to save it for back at Seungwan's place. Seungwan thanked the driver and paid him through the app as they rushed to the elevator that took them to the 36th floor.

 

Seungwan fumbled her keys from rushing to open the door, once the door was open Joohyun and Seungwan continued kissing as clothes fell to the floor. They stumbled and walked backward into Seungwan's bedroom. Seungwan made sure to slow down the pace so she can relish in this moment and replay it in her mind.

 

Joohyun never felt this intensity as she let her hands explore every inch of Seungwan's body. The night was spent kissing, groaning, , and for three rounds until they were sweating in each other's arms catching their breath underneath tangled sheets.

 

"That was unbelievable!" Joohyun said and poked Seungwan's dimple.

 

Seungwan laughed and said, "You're telling me."

 

They laid there for a while Seungwan humming a song and Joohyun rubbing Seungwan's abs.

 

"Joohyun I hate to ruin the mood but something has been bothering me for sometime and I wanted to ask you about it," Seungwan said speaking slowly.

 

Joohyun stopped her hand motions and tilted her head up to look into Seungwan's eyes.

 

"What did you want to ask me?" Joohyun asked worried it could be something bad.

 

"Maybe you forgot about it but remember when we were on FaceTime and you were crying and I told you that you could confide in me but I didn't want to press the issue," Seungwan said as she watched Joohyun put her head down and cast her eyes away.

 

"You seem like you were shattered and all I wanted to do is comfort you but we were on opposite sides of the globe but I am here now and if there is anything you want to tell me please I want to help you," Seungwan pleaded.

 

Joohyun sat up and Seungwan did the same, Joohyun faced the wall and all at once let her bottled up emotions come crashing down. Through tears and broken speech she recounted every incident at work where Seungri would harass her whether it was to her face or when he believe she wasn't around. As Joohyun was recalling all of these awful events, Seungwan felt a flash of anger take over her and she started to tear up too.

 

When Joohyun went silent Seungwan pulled her into an embrace as she her hair, placed kisses all over her face, and whispered sweet nothings in her ear. Joohyun was trembling as she told Seungwan everything and when Seungwan held her right now. But the comfort and warmth Seungwan provided eventually lulled Joohyun to sleep.

 

Seungwan had a hard time wrapping her head around the fact that a fellow coworker could behave in this matter at the work place. If Seungwan were to accept the Catering Chef position at the Incheon International Airport, she prays she doesn't encounter this piece of filth named Seungri because she would kill him with her bare hands.

 

Seungwan heard Yoo Jung Ahn's voice in her head right now reminding her what a strict conservative country South Korea was. How men have no accountability for their mistakes and women are defenseless. But with the glow of the moonlight shining on Joohyun's bare milky white skin Seungwan said a vow to herself to protect Joohyun and now she was more determined in her decision to move to South Korea.

 

 

 

The remainder of the week Seungwan signed her and Joohyun up for a 7am Pilates class right down the street at Core Studios Pilates. Seungwan wanted  to showcase her ability to place her foot behind her head. But she was outdone by Joohyun's flexibility as she sat on the Yoga mat full split.

 

"No wonder the was amazing," Seungwan gulped.

 

When the class ended Seungwan drove Joohyun to a jewelry store.

 

"Why are we here," Joohyun asked puzzled.

 

"See this it is my class ring that my parents gave me after I received my culinary degree from Liaison College. I was aware they wanted me to achieve more than cooking like becoming a surgeon or engineer. I can't blame them I had an almost 4.0 GPA and I received an award from former President Obama. But cooking is what I want to do for the rest of my life and I am pretty good at it," Seungwan said looking downward.

 

Joohyun took Seungwan's hand and kissed it which made Seungwan blush.

 

Seungwan grinned as she recalled something, "I remember I invited my parents to check out the school in person to see for themselves if I was wasting my time. My mother and father got lost and my mother complained it was because the exterior of the building look like another storefront," Seungwan chuckled as she remembered how her mother could be dramatic sometimes.

 

"But anyway I bought you hear to resize that ring to fit your finger because I want you to have it," Seungwan said with a smile.

 

"Seungwan I couldn't possibly accept a gift that your parents gave you," Joohyun pleaded.

 

"It is a beautiful ring that is not bulky like the other class rings. It is a thin gold band decorated in diamonds. It almost looks like an engagement ring," Seungwan hesitated before she said.

 

"I didn't mean it that way I want you to wear it on your left ring finger and maybe that piece of  will leave you alone at work."

 

Joohyun studied the ring and said, "Are you sure you want me to keep this?"

 

"Yes besides I can't wear it with the line of work I do so please do this for me," Seungwan said with a pout.

 

Joohyun closed the gap between them with a hard kiss.

 

Later on in the evening they went dancing at Crews & Tangos (a gay nightclub). Joohyun never felt so liberated to be dancing to the beat of the music with men and their boyfriends and women with their girlfriends.

 

As Saturday approached and it was enviable that Joohyun had to return to Korea, Seungwan made sure she left with a few mementos to look at and think of Seungwan. The class ring was one of them and Seungwan's favorite Maple Leafs ice hockey replica jersey. She wore it to bed Friday night so her scent lingered on her clothes.

 

Joohyun gave Seungwan a bottle of her lavender & lily shampoo so her hair smells like Joohyun. Seungwan and Joohyun are standing at the departure gate not wanting to let each other go. They promised to FaceTime every day until Seungwan relocated to Korea. As the last boarding announcement was made they broke their hold on each other's hands and Joohyun disappeared into the tunnel.

 

As Joohyun was waiting for the plane to take off she studied the ring Seungwan gave her and discovered an inscription on the inside which said, "To Seungwan Love Mom and Dad."

 

Joohyun smiled to herself and put her ring back on. Joohyun leaned back in her chair trying to make herself comfortable when her phone ding.

 

She thought it was Seungwan but it was a message from Boss Chaerin, "Great news Joohyun. I found an over qualified cook to fill the Catering Chef position but the only hiccup is she lives in Canada and will be available to work November 1st at the earliest."

 

Tears streamed down Joohyun's face as fate brought her and Seungwan together and now it was time to write their forever.